Lots to Lose Challenge - Week 2

Options
KnottyJen
KnottyJen Posts: 1,070 Member
Thank you everyone for your input on last week's challenge. I'm glad to hear that you've all been pushing yourselves harder and are excited about the challenge. Everyone is doing great!!!

In case anyone needs it - the spreadsheet that shows the teams' progress is here:
https://spreadsheets.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0ArutZf2a6Ry5dEFsN0ZFOENrd3hjWEJJTHdUVkxxaHc&hl=en_US#

^^^^There are different tabs at the bottom of the screen. One for the over progress, one that just lists the players and team names and one that shows the challenges for the week.

Based on the input I received, I'm going to change how we calculate the bulk of our points. I'm going to make this purely a time spent effort. For every 20 minutes of cardio that you do - WHATEVER IT IS - you will earn 10 points. I think this should solve all of the issues that we've encountered regarding distance discrepancies. NOTICE: This change does not take affect until tomorrow - so any points earned today will still go by the same point calculations as we've been doing all week.

Exercise & nutrition challenge points will remain the same - 10 points for the exercise challenge & 5 points for the nutrition challenge.

I also heard the requests to focus on different muscle groups. So, for this week, I've changed it up. No two days in a row will work the same group, giving you a chance to recuperate.

Finally, taking the lead from another challenge that I participate in, I'm going to implement a REST day. Each team will choose what day they will be resting. This means that none of your workouts for that day will count toward points. Instead - on that day - your team will earn points by drinking water. Each cup of water that your team reports for the day will be worth 10 points, up to a team max of 500 points (or 50 cups). The nutrition challenge for that day will also be up for grabs, but not the exercise challenge. So, on whichever day your TEAM chooses as rest day, you have the potential of earning 525 points. Pretty big bump!!!

Last thing to mention! I've decided that there will be a bonus for the winning team each week. The prize will be ONE five point bonus. So, for the team that wins this week, if they have a day next week where they did REALLY poorly, they will have the opportunity to use their winning bonus and tack on 5 extra points.

And now that I got all of THAT out of the way!!! Here are the mini challenges for the upcoming week. Good luck everyone!!!! Keep up the good work!!!

::::Week 2 Challenges::::
Friday
Nutrition - Under Calories
Exercise - 25 pushups (modified is fine - http://www.sparkpeople.com/resource/exercises.asp?exercise=36)

Saturday
Nutrition - Under Sodium
Exercise - 50 oblique crunches (http://www.sparkpeople.com/resource/exercises.asp?exercise=4)

Sunday
Nutrition - Under CARBS
Exercise - 100 calf raises (http://www.sparkpeople.com/resource/exercises.asp?exercise=1230)

Monday
Nutrition - Under Calories
Exercise - 50 Dumbell Flys (if you don't have weights, try to make a weight out of something else....Water bottles, soup cans, shampoo bottles? :-) http://www.sparkpeople.com/resource/exercises.asp?exercise=155)

Tuesday
Nutrition - Under Sodium
Exercise - 50 reverse crunches (http://www.sparkpeople.com/resource/exercises.asp?exercise=8)

Wednesday
Nutrition - Under Carbs
Exercise - 50 forward lunges (http://www.sparkpeople.com/resource/exercises.asp?exercise=22)

Thursday
Nutrition - Under calories
Exercise - 50 dumbell pullovers (http://www.sparkpeople.com/resource/exercises.asp?exercise=182)

Replies

• k2quiere
    k2quiere Posts: 4,151 Member
    Options
    Wow, Jen...I am amazed at the thought put into this and in awe of anyone who keeps it all straight. Good luck, everyone!!!

BTW: The link for the calf raises isn't right. I tried searching, but they have too many varying articles for me to know which you meant.
  • AmyNVegas
    AmyNVegas Posts: 2,215 Member
    Options
    I so agree this is like a perfect fusion of our suggestions and concerns you are one fantastic coordinator girl!:drinker: I vote for you to redo the nation's budget!:laugh: :wink:

I was so excited about next week's challenges I shorted myself a week off.:noway: I actually have 2 full weeks off before school starts- even better. I really want another 5 pounds by then.

Jen, I have a question, are we weighing in or is the challenge strictly points for activity and nutrition challenges? Thanks for all your hard work this is fantastic!!!:drinker: :flowerforyou:
  • watchmeshrink16
    watchmeshrink16 Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    I have been out the entire day, so I didnt get a chance to make any comments on last week's challenges. I didn't have much to say neither, I was just going to asked for variation of exercises, yet I noticed it on this upcoming week.

You are doing a great job, you are an awesome leader. Thank you for the challenge.
  • ginabina13
    ginabina13 Posts: 202
    Options
    Hey Jen, thanks for all your hard work and considering all the feedback you got! You're so great at this! :happy:
  • AmyNVegas
    Options
    Any computer savvy people out there that would like to help B-Lose-ing It! (Blue team) out? We could really use an image for our signature and I wouldn't know where to start. Thanks to anyone who can help.:flowerforyou:
  • cklbrown
    cklbrown Posts: 4,696 Member
    Options
    Great challenges. Thanks for adding me!
  • karenleona
    karenleona Posts: 3,959 Member
    Options
    jen- you are amazing to come up with all this!!! but what is with the number 50 for reps????? for us really large people that is nearly impossible...ie to do 50 reverse crunches .....i have been practising pushups for 2 months but can still only do 11 girl ones...and with my knees i cannot do any lunges......
    any suggestions?? i am concerned that people who are starting this challenge to increase their activity will find it too hard to do and will drop out cause they cannot do the exercises in the quantity specified
    just my two bits worth
    karen
  • mikonei
    mikonei Posts: 291 Member
    Options
    Definitely agree with everyone in saying that you are just awesome for putting all of this together, and for how well everything came together after so many suggestions.

@AmyNVegas
    You can use picnik.com to create a signature image. It's a pretty simple online photo editor and you don't have to register to use it. I made 2 images for Pink Panthers in less than 15 minutes :)
  • januarygal
    januarygal Posts: 336 Member
    Options
    Hi, I am looking forward to all our new challenges and GO GREEN! :love:
  • Kinda79
    Kinda79 Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    Any computer savvy people out there that would like to help B-Lose-ing It! (Blue team) out? We could really use an image for our signature and I wouldn't know where to start. Thanks to anyone who can help.:flowerforyou:

I'm taking Grahic Design and did the Curvette's design. I would love to help you all out just need some thoughts of what you might want and I will throw one together for ya. :) You can friend me and just PM me your ideas or any quotes you all have in mind.

Kinda
  • Kinda79
    Kinda79 Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    Jen,

As usual you did amazing girl!! You ROCK!!

Curvy and Proud!!

Go Curvette's!!
  • aleah623
    aleah623 Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    Geat job on week two!

I have not been looking at the carbs so that is going to be a challenge for me.
  • k2quiere
    k2quiere Posts: 4,151 Member
    Options
    I actually think that MFP has me set for far too many carbs because I don't think I've ever been over in the month and a half I've been on here. I'm losing, so I'm not too worried about it, but I have been over on everything except carbs.
  • LMorrison1009
    LMorrison1009 Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    I love the changes. My only question is whether we have to pick a rest day in advance and if it is supposed to be the same every week. Is like to do it this way for my team, but I'm not sure what the rule is.
  • cabaray
    cabaray Posts: 971 Member
    Options
    Great job on setting this up...Thanks!
  • KnottyJen
    Options
    BTW: The link for the calf raises isn't right. I tried searching, but they have too many varying articles for me to know which you meant.

Corrected Calf Raises link:
    http://www.sparkpeople.com/resource/exercises.asp?exercise=123
  • KnottyJen
    Options
    Jen, I have a question, are we weighing in or is the challenge strictly points for activity and nutrition challenges? Thanks for all your hard work this is fantastic!!!:drinker: :flowerforyou:

No weigh-ins. This is strictly an exercise & nutrition challenge. Hopefully, as a result, we'll ALL have some great losses!
  • KnottyJen
    Options
    but what is with the number 50 for reps?????

I set the # of reps at something that I thought *I* could do. I'm by no means a skinny thing, I'm still over 300 lbs (I"M SO EFFING CLOSE TO 299, I CAN TASTE IT THOUGH!!!!!) *ahem* Sorry...Sidetracked.... :smile:

The exercise challenges are meant to be something to push you to do more than you normally would. But they're also not required. If it's something that is beyond your capability, you shouldn't feel like you're being penalized for not doing it. Something that you could try is breaking it up throughout the day. So, if you can do 10 pushups in one setting, do 10 - 5 times throughout the day.

I'm going to leave the number of reps where they are. I know that it is a challenge for some, but for others, it's not much of a challenge at all. I want this to be somewhere in the middle ground, but still be worth the ten points that you get for doing it.

I hope not to offend anyone with this decision, but I'm going to stick with this one. Just wanted to explain where I'm coming from a bit.
  • KnottyJen
    Options
    My only question is whether we have to pick a rest day in advance and if it is supposed to be the same every week. Is like to do it this way for my team, but I'm not sure what the rule is.

You should decide as a team (in advance) which day will be your rest day. This way, you don't have one team member working out for 3 hours on a day that's not going to count.
    Each week can have a different rest day.
  • AmyNVegas
    Options
    Ok so if we voted for Sunday this week then next Friday we could vote again and we just let you know each week the day we are taking off. That is good so we can account for holidays and things as they come along. Thanks Jen!:flowerforyou:

I agree with the 50 some exercises like crunches I already do 100 a day so they are easy for me but then others pushed me like the windshield wipers (whew!) but it was good to get pushed. I don't think anyone will fault anyone for not being able to do an exercise due to physical limitations that's why we formed this challenge group. We are larger people who have a lot to lose so may not be able to do more rigorous challenges. We are here to support our team members and cheer them on to do their best and that is all we expect. If you cannot do a challenge please do NOT feel guilty we know you are doing your best and that is fantastic do not push and hurt yourself we definitely do not want that. Points are great but healthy happy team members is the real goal!:flowerforyou: :drinker: