Anorexic at goal weight?

Options

Replies

• LisaKyle11
    LisaKyle11 Posts: 662 Member
    Options
    i am 5'7" and currently 135#... last time i looked, i certainly don't look too thin. 150# is a healthy weight as well. depends on your build/frame.
  • koosdel
    koosdel Posts: 3,317 Member
    Options
    First, 'doctor' does not mean high priest of truth. They are susceptible to flawed science just like most everyone else.

Second, some people are just a-holes.
  • kmcgilllis
    Options
    I'm 5.7.5 and about 162 right now. I'm trying to get down to 135. From research I've done (peer reviewed papers and scholarly articles) a healthy weight for you (or us rather) can be anywhere from 125-145 pending on the size of the person's frame. There is some wiggle room to go more or less.

Don't worry too much what other people say and be sure to pay attention to not only how you feel about how you look but your body fat percentage. If you see it dropping too low be sure to cut back on your exercise and up your calories. Anything below 15 percent can be dangerous and cause serious side effects such as amenorrhea, undernourishment, and death.
  • maidentl
    maidentl Posts: 3,203 Member
    Options
    To answer the actual question, YES, I have been told this. I don't know your doctor's motivation but your sister might be trying to say "Don't get thinner than me" and disguising it as concern for your health. Back when I was thinner, I had lost about 15 or so pounds, down to around 120 ( I am 5'2") and my dearest friend, who at 5'7" weighed less than me was cautioning ME that I looked too thin. Uh, yeah, right. I did not and she was the only one to say such a thing. I wouldn't even worry about it until you get there and see for yourself. :)
  • fteale
    fteale Posts: 5,310 Member
    Options
    I think people only think others look thin at a healthy weight because they have lost track of what a healthy weight is.
  • corsayre8
    corsayre8 Posts: 551 Member
    Options
    The heavier we are, the more warped our sense of appropriate weight becomes.

5'7" and 150 pounds is a healthy weight, but it is by no means "anorexic". I am 5'10" and my weight ranges between 158 and 160. People tell me I look great, I look fit, etc. Not a single person has told me I look thin, let alone anorexic. My body is strong, athletic to average, and I still have curves.

As you approach your goal weight, keep an open mind as to where you want to be. Don't get stuck on a number, as you may find your happy place to be higher or lower than you originally thought.
  • Minnesnowtagurl
    Minnesnowtagurl Posts: 406 Member
    Options
    Okay, so quite frankly people don't want us to lose weight. I will repeat the words I was once told when I got negativity for wanting to lose weight. "We are a constant reminder of where they have failed and every time they see us we remind them." If there is one thing that I have learned on my weight loss journey is to seriously set mini goals. Sometimes is look less achievable when we look at BIG numbers to lose.

When I weighed 225 before I used to say that I want to be at 175 and the closer I get the more I realize that it is not where I want to be. As I aim to a more healthier me I will keep trying to lose weight until I feel more comfortable with my self when I look in the mirror. You will have to do the same.

I've seen many times that "weigh loss is not a one size fits all"
  • boopiejones
    Options
    my wife is 5"6 and 115 lbs. she definitely doesn't have, and definitely doesn't look like she has an eating disorder.
  • fteale
    Options

When I weighed 225 before I used to say that I want to be at 175 and the closer I get the more I realize that it is not where I want to be. As I aim to a more healthier me I will keep trying to lose weight until I feel more comfortable with my self when I look in the mirror. You will have to do the same.

I've seen many times that "weigh loss is not a one size fits all"

So true. My original goal was 130, but now I am nearly there I realise I am not happy with the way I look yet.
  • fteale
    Options
    my wife is 5"6 and 115 lbs. she definitely doesn't have, and definitely doesn't look like she has an eating disorder.

I am 5'5" and didn't look like I had an eating disorder at 112lbs, but I did. Everyone said I looked amazing, but I was actually very unwell.

But different people have different builds. I am muscular, but with a small frame, and at 112 my BF% is way too low to be healthy (even though that looks good by our modern media skewed perception). Someone who stores muscle differently can easily be that weight healthily.
  • Guinivere
    Guinivere Posts: 357 Member
    Options
    I'm 5ft 7 and am a recovered anorexic.

My doctor said that from the time when my body started to suffer from the malnutrition was when I was "officially" anorexic.

I was about 125lbs then but because I have a large frame, I was just skin and bones. I looked like I was a famine victim. My periods stopped, and I have caused irreversible damage to my joints by exercising for 6 hours a day every day on one bowl of tomato soup. (no vitamins, no calcium, no veggies etc etc)

The important thing to remember is that all diets are not the same - everyone is different and everyone must find what works for their physiology. It's very personal. Your healthy weight is yours alone - ignore BMI - it's inaccurate and potentially dangerous. don't try to fit into Stats and ranges. They are too general. Its like saying we should all have long brown hair. Just as ridiculous!

Trust your instincts - that's what they are there for. Good luck.
  • frankencois
    Options
    I'm sorry to hear that you've been through all of that, sweetness. And I cannot agree with you more that everybody is different - so too are their responses to our body sizes and shapes. I have struggled with anorexia for many years: some people tell me I look frighteningly thin, some tell me that I look perfect, some don't even see me as being particularly thin. The only times the general consensus is that I am 'too thin' have been when I am severely emaciated. Recently I was hospitalised and given a feeding tube, and I was significantly above my lowest weight.

Take it with a grain of salt, and just focus on keeping yourself as healthy as you can. You know within yourself and in your body when you feel best, and you needn't take on board someone else's skewed perspective. x
  • cowlover22
    cowlover22 Posts: 309 Member
    Options
    I'm sorry to hear that you've been through all of that, sweetness. And I cannot agree with you more that everybody is different - so too are their responses to our body sizes and shapes. I have struggled with anorexia for many years: some people tell me I look frighteningly thin, some tell me that I look perfect, some don't even see me as being particularly thin. The only times the general consensus is that I am 'too thin' have been when I am severely emaciated. Recently I was hospitalised and given a feeding tube, and I was significantly above my lowest weight.

Take it with a grain of salt, and just focus on keeping yourself as healthy as you can. You know within yourself and in your body when you feel best, and you needn't take on board someone else's skewed perspective. x
    I have the same things happen to me to. I just got out of the hospital(for ana) and prior to going in someone told me how good I looked> Granditie I liked hearing that but they were just as distorted as me.
    As far as people losing weight and getting told they will look anorexic. Think about it...If you lost a good amount of weight you have extra skin hanging off of your bones, and even though you are dieting (hopefully sensably) you are prob malnourished to some degree. People also are not used to you looking that way..so after a while you should stop hearing those comments. I bet it isnt new friends that you are meeting that are saying this..just a thought. Frankencois...hope you are doing well...just got out and having a time of it...
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,701 Member
    Options
    This would depend your your frame and lean muscle mass. Everyone is different so you'd have to get close to goal to see.
  • _Ben
    _Ben Posts: 1,608 Member
    Options
    Here is a website I recommend to everyone:

http://www.cockeyed.com/photos/bodies/heightweight.html

This website is a chart that shows based off height and weight, what different combinations look like. Remember different frames and builds will yeild different results, but just to get the idea.

One thing I will say, I highly doubt that 150 and 5'7" will look like you are anorexic.
  • vanyaann
    Options
    it depeds on your body and how you carry your weight. at 5'6", when i weighed 150, people pulled me aside because they were concerned about how thin i had become. i went to the doctor, who told me i was malnourished and my period had stopped. i was underweight for my body and build. i look back at pictures and can see it now, though at the time i ignored everyone.

p.s. yes, people tell me all the time that i will look bad when i lose the 80lbs i want to lose. it's how i carry my weight and the fact that i have a lot of muscle.
  • Kalrez
    Kalrez Posts: 655 Member
    Options
    I'm 6'0" and currently weight 225. For a while in high school, I weighed around 185/190. My mother thinks that was too skinny. (What?!) My goal weight, however, is between 140 and 160 - depending on my muscle tone. That is well within the healthy BMI range for my height, but I'm not going to bother telling my mother that.

I think a lot of people just don't realize what certain weights look like on other people.
  • SuziQueue
    SuziQueue Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'6", and 25 years ago I lost a bunch of weight (and kept it off for 20 years!). Anyhow - I lost down to 123 and friends told me I looked very sickly. I couldn't see it until some time later when I saw a pic of myself in a bikini and I looked horrible. My best weight is 150. I look good, feel good, and my clothes look amazing at 150.

Good for you for taking this journey!
  • Owlie45
    Owlie45 Posts: 806 Member
    Options
    o_O you may have been seeing an idiot rather than a doctor.
    150 is the high healthy weight range for 5'7". You would not look anorexic.
    My goal is to get to 130 and I'm 5'7".
  • peachyxoxoxo
    peachyxoxoxo Posts: 1,178 Member
    Options
    Here's what 5'7 and 153 looks like on me, right now.

RKuFZ.png

AND remember, be careful using the word anorexic... just because someone doesn't "look" like they have an eating disorder doesn't mean they don't have one. I have struggled with bulimia and binge eating for the last 3 years and I don't think anyone would ever guess how much food I could put away during binges, based solely on how I look. Luckily now I'm nearly 7 weeks binge/purge free.