What are your struggles with weight loss?

Options

Replies

• Marla64
    Marla64 Posts: 23,120 Member
    Options
    I'd seemed to have gotten the emotional eating under control a couple years ago, but I was an unconscious eater. Finishing the kids plates, popping random cookies in my mouth while serving the kids, noshing while I cooked dinner-- and then always joining in on the "social" eating of a busy house. The Friday night pizzas, movie popcorn, brownies-- if kids were eating, Mom joined in--

I'd resolve to start fresh every Monday, and by the end of Monday breakfast I'd realize I'd already popped enough calories into my face out of habit than I should have had up until dinner.

So, conquering the mindless eating, and taking every morsel captive by logging it has been king--

How did you get the emotional eating under control?

Gosh-- you know, I don't know-- I think some of that just came with a contentment that came over me when I became a Christian. Once I stopped being ruled by my emotions in other areas of my life, and had a peace about me, it just followed that I didn't have to turn to food for comfort. However, the damage was done weight wise.

And I still had yet to conquer the mindless eating. I'd gotten to a point where I was no longer gaining. I'd hovered around the same weight, plus or minus 5-10 pounds, for the past 15 years. But, the mindless eating was sabotaging any weight loss efforts.

So, stumbling here to MFP has been just a God send in helping me take captive every morsel and be aware of every calorie I put in my mouth. Scripture commands that I "take captive every thought--" I transferred that to this realm, too-- I take captive every morsel, that nothing goes into my mouth thoughtlessly.

Have a great day-- :heart:
  • pettmybunny
    pettmybunny Posts: 1,986 Member
    Options
    My biggest stumbling block is dinner. We have 4 boys who are all involved in activities, that all seem to happen either just before or just after dinner. There are a couple of nights a week when we eat in shifts, because one of us has two kids out for early shift activities, and the other one takes the later shift activity kids. And a lot of times, on these busy nights, we just grab fast food (or we used to, now we're making sandwiches to go with us), or we buy the quick and easy to fix microwavable dinners. I'm really trying to plan in advance, and to point out (to my husband) that broiling chicken takes just as little time as microwaving a tray of Banquet salisbury steaks. It's not perfect yet, but we are getting better at it.
  • sweetestthing
    Options
    I am so surprised to see how this place really works! Just seeing everyone share their struggles helps so much and I don't feel alone anymore. When I'm alone I eat, when I'm not alone I always plot on how to get my husband out so I can eat! It's horrible. But now I was alone last night and had that crazy I have to binge mode. I stareted eating a few little cookies, then I stopped myself and came on this site. It made me feel so good and I just stopped it all. Today I went on the scale and on total I lost 10lbs my first week! Am really happy and although I know it's water weight and I have 80 more lbs to go, I can't even remember the last time I had so much motivation. Thanks everyone!
  • Marla64
    Options
    I am so surprised to see how this place really works! Just seeing everyone share their struggles helps so much and I don't feel alone anymore. When I'm alone I eat, when I'm not alone I always plot on how to get my husband out so I can eat! It's horrible. But now I was alone last night and had that crazy I have to binge mode. I stareted eating a few little cookies, then I stopped myself and came on this site. It made me feel so good and I just stopped it all. Today I went on the scale and on total I lost 10lbs my first week! Am really happy and although I know it's water weight and I have 80 more lbs to go, I can't even remember the last time I had so much motivation. Thanks everyone!

That's great-- congrats!!!!!!

Slow and steady wins the race-- come laugh with us, cry with us, scream with us-- there are some lovely people here-- they'll comfort you or knock you upside the head when you need it-- but, you're never alone.

God bless you-- :heart: :heart:
  • pettmybunny
    pettmybunny Posts: 1,986 Member
    Options

Oh, I didn't think of that one... I'm a closet eater. If I can sneak food, it tastes better. I don't know why, it isn't as if my husband cares if I eat a candy bar. But I always try to hide it. I've gotten better. Well, I'm still stashing food in my dresser and closet, but I'm not eating it every day anymore. I've had candy in there since Halloween that I haven't even touched. I actually had forgotten it was there until I started typing this.... Dang
  • Marla64
    Options
    lol-- no touch, Bunny!!
  • RainbowNtheWaterfall
    Options
    I'd seemed to have gotten the emotional eating under control a couple years ago, but I was an unconscious eater. Finishing the kids plates, popping random cookies in my mouth while serving the kids, noshing while I cooked dinner-- and then always joining in on the "social" eating of a busy house. The Friday night pizzas, movie popcorn, brownies-- if kids were eating, Mom joined in--

I'd resolve to start fresh every Monday, and by the end of Monday breakfast I'd realize I'd already popped enough calories into my face out of habit than I should have had up until dinner.

So, conquering the mindless eating, and taking every morsel captive by logging it has been king--

How did you get the emotional eating under control?

Gosh-- you know, I don't know-- I think some of that just came with a contentment that came over me when I became a Christian. Once I stopped being ruled by my emotions in other areas of my life, and had a peace about me, it just followed that I didn't have to turn to food for comfort. However, the damage was done weight wise.

And I still had yet to conquer the mindless eating. I'd gotten to a point where I was no longer gaining. I'd hovered around the same weight, plus or minus 5-10 pounds, for the past 15 years. But, the mindless eating was sabotaging any weight loss efforts.

So, stumbling here to MFP has been just a God send in helping me take captive every morsel and be aware of every calorie I put in my mouth. Scripture commands that I "take captive every thought--" I transferred that to this realm, too-- I take captive every morsel, that nothing goes into my mouth thoughtlessly.

Have a great day-- :heart:

You too...thanks for the tips...this site is an eye opener...I need help with being ruled by emotion too...please God help me!......well glad your making progress, keep up the good work:bigsmile:
  • RainbowNtheWaterfall
    Options
    My biggest stumbling block is dinner. We have 4 boys who are all involved in activities, that all seem to happen either just before or just after dinner. There are a couple of nights a week when we eat in shifts, because one of us has two kids out for early shift activities, and the other one takes the later shift activity kids. And a lot of times, on these busy nights, we just grab fast food (or we used to, now we're making sandwiches to go with us), or we buy the quick and easy to fix microwavable dinners. I'm really trying to plan in advance, and to point out (to my husband) that broiling chicken takes just as little time as microwaving a tray of Banquet salisbury steaks. It's not perfect yet, but we are getting better at it.

Keep at it!...smalls steps get you closer to your goal...Keep up the good work:smile:
  • RainbowNtheWaterfall
    Options

WOW! 10 pounds! Good for you:smile: Your doing excellent...I battled with eating this week, one day I would do good, the next, not so good...I decided to start journaling today and I sent text messages to 7 of my friends encouraging them to do the same and come to this site....Keep up the good work you are an inspiration too!:flowerforyou:
  • RainbowNtheWaterfall
    Options

Oh, I didn't think of that one... I'm a closet eater. If I can sneak food, it tastes better. I don't know why, it isn't as if my husband cares if I eat a candy bar. But I always try to hide it. I've gotten better. Well, I'm still stashing food in my dresser and closet, but I'm not eating it every day anymore. I've had candy in there since Halloween that I haven't even touched. I actually had forgotten it was there until I started typing this.... Dang

Food doestn't taste as good when I have to sneak it...I feel guilty and can't focus on how good the treat really is....I'm a mess but I'm under construction:wink:
  • jawaria
    Options
    oh Dew, i'm right there with u! My struggle is to fight laziness...i ghet lazy abnout not working out...when i dont workout i over eat coz what's the point right? and then i'm bombarded with guilt and i take my anger out on poor hubby:(
  • candycaneps
    candycaneps Posts: 340 Member
    Options
    I love good tasting food. That is my downfall. Also, restricting sweets is a killer. I know some people don't eat ANY and then have a day where they get to, and I just hate restricting myself. I also get frustrated when I see girls or my husband for that matter, eat whatever they want and not get a pound. I think to myself...I want to eat that yummy deliciousness, why can't I?

My other downfall is logging. Logging isn't hard, by trying to figure out the nutrition values is a pain. I feel like I never have the accurate information.
  • RainbowNtheWaterfall
    Options
    Thanks everybody for your input!!! .....Sharing is Caring!:smile:
  • deb03
    deb03 Posts: 30
    Options
    Hi,
    My struggles are that I have a HUGE sweet tooth. And it seems to be more so lately. I think stress has a lot to do with it. I have managed to lose 34 lbs and kept it off, but its hard to get motivated when like you say mindless eating. Why do we eat to eat? What are the factors that put is to mindless eating. I think if you portion your food and not deprive yourself you are more out to succeed with weightloss. Good luck to you. You can DO IT.
  • Marla64
    Options
    Hi,
    My struggles are that I have a HUGE sweet tooth. And it seems to be more so lately. I think stress has a lot to do with it. I have managed to lose 34 lbs and kept it off, but its hard to get motivated when like you say mindless eating. Why do we eat to eat? What are the factors that put is to mindless eating. I think if you portion your food and not deprive yourself you are more out to succeed with weightloss. Good luck to you. You can DO IT.

And so can you, Deb-- so can we all. The mindless eating simply becomes habit-- and an old friend of mine told me it takes 30 days to break and/or form a habit. Sounds reasonable-- the more we do the "right" the more it becomes our "mindless" habits-- so, hang in there.
  • mamamouse
    Options
    Low calorie eating and exercising followed by closet almost binging (8 cookies in one sitting 2 huge bowls of ice-cream or a gigantic plate of nachos) that totally undo all of my hardwork. I feel like I am constantly setting new start dates for my diets because of this terrible cycle.
  • Tiddle
    Tiddle Posts: 762 Member
    Options
    I like food, alot :embarassed: .. And I'm really bad at portion size
  • RainbowNtheWaterfall
    Options
    Low calorie eating and exercising followed by closet almost binging (8 cookies in one sitting 2 huge bowls of ice-cream or a gigantic plate of nachos) that totally undo all of my hardwork. I feel like I am constantly setting new start dates for my diets because of this terrible cycle.
    Don't give up!..u can do it!:smile:
  • Mangoaddict
    Mangoaddict Posts: 1,236 Member
    Options
    My problem is that I need to learn more about portions size. Also, I wish my husband was a little more careful with what he eats around me.
  • zubair
    zubair Posts: 13
    Options
    mine are....
    i like to chew...even when i'm not hungry....i mean, its a habit to me...(i'm a human, not a rat..lol)...
    i really hate to exercise..workout...
    easily gain weight rather then loose them...(gaining 2.5kg in just 5 days)
    hard to maintain my weight after archiving the goal...(from 54kg..going...60kg...and still going up)
    there's sooooo much delicious food in my country...can't resist it...(most of my favorite food are all high in calories and fat)
    and the list keeps going on....hhuhuhuh...