When you go to the movies....

Options

Replies

• pattycakes726
    pattycakes726 Posts: 348 Member
    Options
    I bring in Larabar or a Skinny Cow candy and a bottle of water.
  • scubacat
    scubacat Posts: 346 Member
    Options
    I bring the big purse and pack healthy low cal options. I usually buy a bag of Twizzlers for my girls at the theatre. Apparently, the concessions cost so much because the movie theatre itself doesn't make a profit from ticket sales ( supposedly almost all proceeds go to Pixar, Disney, Dreamworks, etc, whichever film company made the movie)

My theatre has the small Skinny Cow ice creams but charges over $5.00 when its around a $1 in the grocery stores. I think if they offered a better variety and trimmed the prices back a bit, concession sales might actually go up because they would have less "sneakers". My theory is by charging less, they could potentially make more because there would be more customers.
  • SmartFunGorgeous
    SmartFunGorgeous Posts: 699 Member
    Options
    I usually bring in my bottled water, which I usually carry in my purse no matter where I'm going or what I'm doing. Sometimes I will add a snack. But if I'm getting the treat of a movie- which is rare- then I'm going to have their disgustingly overpriced popcorn! With butter! I used to get the large, but now I just get a small and that's plenty. I eat popcorn ALL the time (different kinds: cheese, caramel, spicy, butter, stale, burned... LOVE the stuff), but there's just something special about movie theater popcorn. Probably the 1000s of calories in their "butter" stuff! :tongue:
  • lmelangley
    lmelangley Posts: 1,039 Member
    Options
    I generally snitch a handful of popcorn from my husband and buy myself a small drink with lots of ice. I'm not a big eater at the movies - if the movie doesn't captivate me enough to distract me from eating, it's not worth watching. But, I do get cranky if I get thirsty.
  • cherubcrnp
    cherubcrnp Posts: 730 Member
    Options
    when we go to the indoor theater, I make a bottle of protein water....a 16 oz bottle of water, a packet of Crystal Light lemonade and a scoop of UNJURY Stawberry Sorbet Protein....high protein turkey or bison sticks, and maybe a packet of dried fruit. Last weekend, we went to the drivein....packed a bottle of protein water, a fresh peach, and a kid's turkey sandwich from Subway with veggies on it. That was all I needed for that double feature.

Pam aka Cherubcrnp
  • hazelnutflav
    hazelnutflav Posts: 391 Member
    Options
    since i always carry my big purse i always bring in my own snacks which i prefer because i dont drink sodas and dont like the candy they offer which is at a insane price.

i usually bring in my bottle water and something healthy from home and if i want something sweet i pack a few hershey minatures to satisfy my sweet tooth, all in all i only ever pay 5.00 for a movie everything else is free :)
  • silkysly
    silkysly Posts: 701 Member
    Options
    I smuggle in a bag of Great Value brand Cranberry, Almond, Sunflower mix all the time!
  • smallerthighs
    Options
    I carry a ziplock bag with almonds..and another with a popped 100 calorie bag of Pop Secret Homestyle popcorn inside.
  • dryfli
    dryfli Posts: 39
    Options
    1. exercise that day to give yourself a little more wiggle room with those extra calories.
    2. eat dinner before you leave home. something that will fill you up. that is healthy all the way around.
    3. big purse, diet soda or seltzer from home.
    4. big splurge, movie theater popcorn. try to eat slowly. try.
  • brandiuntz
    brandiuntz Posts: 2,717 Member
    Options
    When I go with a certain friend, we split a small popcorn with NO butter. We don't actually ever finish the bag...we eat half to three quarters. I usually have water with it. If not water, will have about half of a small diet soda.
  • fantomette
    fantomette Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    I take kids size popcorn.
  • heather7marie
    heather7marie Posts: 506 Member
    Options
    I usually don't eat anything when I'm at the movies. I usually sneak in a bottle of water though. Shhh.... :indifferent:
  • yankeefamily05
    Options
    Totally serious question: Has anyone ever gotten caught sneaking snacks/drinks into the theater?!

Im always sneaking stuff in! Its just TOO expensive!
  • Jennyisbusy
    Jennyisbusy Posts: 1,294 Member
    Options
    I bring a watermelon.
    rofl rofl - do you hack it up with a big machete in the aisle?
  • winterjade
    winterjade Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    I also bring the "big" purse....but really that is because there is nothing vegan at the counter...and the water they sall at the theater here is Dissani and I am not a fan, so I bring lots of different items depending on how snacky I feel...but cut up fresh fruit/veggies, my own popcorn, trail mix, lentil chips (Super YUM!), pretty much anything that is not too messy and can fit in my purse :)
  • Jennyisbusy
    Jennyisbusy Posts: 1,294 Member
    Options
    I am all over the place on this one. If I eat the popcorn I call it a meal. I went to a movie with m hubby awhile back and I ate 2 little bags of candy and popcorn and soda!!!

Sometimes I eat nothing (especially with my kids in tow, I don't like food being involved in every outing). sometimes I bring baggies of cookie crisp or home popped popcorn.
  • heather7marie
    heather7marie Posts: 506 Member
    Options
    Totally serious question: Has anyone ever gotten caught sneaking snacks/drinks into the theater?!

Before I started trying to lose weight, I would sneak fast food into the theater. :laugh: I usually had my money in my pocket and my purse zipped, so they couldn't (hopefully) smell it. One time I got carded for an R movie (seriously? I was 22...). When I was digging my wallet out which was conveniently on the bottom, they saw/ smelled my Taco Bell. They took my tacos. :frown: I'm fairly certain one of the workers ate it though, because someone was eating a taco after I got out of the restroom. :grumble: :huh:
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,692 Member
    Options
    When I go to the movies I eat 2 hot dogs, popcorn, nachos with cheese and Raisinettes................all with a diet coke. I pound down about 1600 calories at that time. So how come I don't get fat? Light breakfast and I work out hard on cardio for an hour the morning of. Later that day I'll do another 30 minutes and a moderate dinner. Works every time.
  • SabrinaJL
    SabrinaJL Posts: 1,579 Member
    Options
    When we go to the regular movie theater, we don't get anything. When we go to the MWR movie theater, we usually get nachos and drinks.
  • SabrinaJL
    SabrinaJL Posts: 1,579 Member
    Options

My daughter will just walk in sipping on Starbucks or whatever. Nobody has ever said anything to her. I think it's because she's so damn little, nobody realizes she's there. lol