New to subject - why drink protein shakes?

Options
Can someone explain why many on this website drink Protein shakes? Is it because you are lacking protein? Or because it is tied to your exercise routine? Any info would be helpful in understanding!

Replies

• natskedat
    natskedat Posts: 570 Member
    Options
    I've wondered the same thing. I suspect people drink them to increase their protein, and because everybody else drinks them.

I drank them when I was training for a triathlon to build muscle. Getting enough protein was a challenge with my caloric needs (up to 3400 cals a day) and diet (I eat fish 2x a week, max). But I don't drink them when I'm not training. I'm a believer in real food.

I have a friend who's a bodybuilder, and she made a committment to avoid protein bars and shakes. She has executed her whole program with real food. She looks amazing and is going on stage in a month.

They're not necessary.
  • Samiwhereareyou
    Samiwhereareyou Posts: 281 Member
    Options
    i drink them because I find it better then skipping meals.
  • thurberj
    thurberj Posts: 528 Member
    Options
    I'm working with a trainer and doing interval weight training which includes some cardio. After weight training you need the protein to help your muscles repair themselves. This is straight from the trainers mouth....hope that helps!
  • jennlco
    jennlco Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    It is not just to build muscle. It helps me with muscle recovery :)
    http://www.bodybuilding.com/store/protein.htm

Whether you're new to working out or are a seasoned pro, a quality protein powder is a necessity! Simply put, protein is the single most important thing you must consume daily to build new muscle tissue. Muscle wouldn't exist without it!

While you can get your protein from food sources - and it's recommended that you do - protein powder is a great addition to ensure you get enough on a daily basis. Not to mention protein supplements are convenient and fast absorbing for before and after your workouts, so you can really take your results to the next level.

Protein supplements also act as the perfect solution for when you get busy and need to get your protein in right away.
    Taken from BodyBuilding.com
  • natskedat
    natskedat Posts: 570 Member
    Options
    A glass of chocolate milk, a peanut butter and jelly sandwich, or a homemade egg sandwhich will replenish your body's deficits for much cheaper than an expensive protein drink will.
  • ayshamc
    ayshamc Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    Good topic! I don't really understand it either....

I was looking at a Female brand in my Gym as I always thought they were for building Muscle and really, what Men would drink for Body Building.

When I gave the website to one of the Guys at work to look at, he was completely shocked by the amount of Carbohydrate in each shake and told me to stay away, so I have never tried it.

I see a girl in my Gym drink one every morning (no idea what she does for the rest of the day obviously) and her body shape is so very different to mine - but to be honest, I would prefer to have my curvy shape (even though I still have another 5kgs to lose or so) than hers - I don't know if Protein shakes make her the shape she is? I dont even know if this is coming out right as I am typing it...so I am just going to shut up and Post Reply....lol :smile:
  • kimi131
    kimi131 Posts: 1,058 Member
    Options
    bump
  • Rae6503
    Rae6503 Posts: 6,294 Member
    Options
    I've decided to start drinking them because yes, I regularly come under on protein. When you are close to your goal, I think protein is pretty important to assist with fat loss instead of muscle loss. Additionally I have snacking "issues" in the afternoon and just can't find things to fill me up. I'm hoping shakes will do that for me.
  • AliDarling
    AliDarling Posts: 373
    Options
    they help boost metabolism and if you drink them 20 min after your work out, you don't lose any of the effort caused my over exertion and it also helps with weight loss. i used to have them all the time, still would if it went back on sale
  • SuperHeroRipped
    Options
    A glass of chocolate milk, a peanut butter and jelly sandwich, or a homemade egg sandwhich will replenish your body's deficits for much cheaper than an expensive protein drink will.

no no they won't that's adding fat and sugar to your day that you may not be able to afford. a good recovery drink or protein shake will help more since whey takes 15 mins to hit your cells where eggs take 4 hours
  • calderst
    calderst Posts: 222 Member
    Options

That's what I try to stick with. I've tried my husband's powder a few times and everytime I do I get stomach cramps and bloating! Not worth it to me.
    Lowfat cottage cheese (they make little 90 cal cups) has been my "recovery" food of choice lately, in addition to the above mentioned foods.
  • Patchworkperson
    Patchworkperson Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    I have one a day simply as my breakfast. My gym guy suggested it as I got out of the habit of eating a proper breakfast as a teenager. I thought not eating breakfast would help my severe travel sickness to & from college. I know preparing a simple breakfast would be cheaper but I just don't do it.

He thought it would help my weight loss & it seems to be.
  • noely1974
    noely1974 Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    i drink them after a workout because the protein gets straight to my muscles fast and repairs them, when you are training you are making tiny tears in your muscle fibre(fiber for those across the Atlantic) that the protein will help fill in, the sooner after a workout the better, hence using a shake and not waiting to go home for a chicken sandwich. if you are not working out though or just doing gentle training , ie walks etc then you probably don't need one ,
  • cshore54
    cshore54 Posts: 70
    Options
    I drink them because I love them. Cold, creamy, almost milkshake-like and so much better for you. They hit the spot after a workout.
  • Shyloh1
    Shyloh1 Posts: 422 Member
    Options

That's what I try to stick with. I've tried my husband's powder a few times and everytime I do I get stomach cramps and bloating! Not worth it to me.
    Lowfat cottage cheese (they make little 90 cal cups) has been my "recovery" food of choice lately, in addition to the above mentioned foods.

Have you tried brown rice protein shakes? I don't get any bloating at all.
  • Misiaxcore
    Misiaxcore Posts: 659 Member
    Options
    I started feeling really weak doing my workouts, so I got whey protein that my boyfriend also drinks and feel much better =] Haven't gained weight either since I only drink one serving after an intense workout. I think they're really good for recovery.
  • yanicka
    yanicka Posts: 1,004 Member
    Options
    because I am lazy. I have alot of trouble hitting my protein it it take care of it. It also help with my iron.
  • ccyha1
    ccyha1 Posts: 26
    Options
    You can look at it as a sure way to get all of the protein your body needs for the day, or just having a quick meal, or just because someone suggested it and it sounded good or last but not least promote money into the pockets of others. FDA or Board of health does not include protein shake into our every-day's diet. Each to it's own.
  • koosdel
    koosdel Posts: 3,317 Member
    Options
    To get more protein.
  • taso42_DELETED
    taso42_DELETED Posts: 3,394 Member
    Options
    Quick and easy way to get quality protein without having to prepare food.