New to subject - why drink protein shakes?

Options

Replies

• Delicate
    Delicate Posts: 625 Member
    Options
    To get protein to reduce my recovery time between workouts, plus I dont eat alot of large meals to get it that way (cause i no longer physically can eat large meals cause my stomach has gone to normal size!)

I usually grab them while they are on offer.
  • skyls
    skyls Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    It would be hard to get as much protein out of a pbj, glass of milk, or cottage cheese that you can get from a protein shake. I don't love them, but I do drink them after exercising for the most amount of protein.
  • dieselbugparrot
    Options
    We drink them after our intense cardio and strength training workouts. To recover from working out and get more protein to help build muscles.
  • shreddin_mama
    shreddin_mama Posts: 1,076 Member
    Options
    i don't know. i heard chocolate milk does about the same thing
  • marie_2454
    marie_2454 Posts: 881 Member
    Options
    I drink protein shakes because I feel better when I eat higher protein (at least 100 grams a day) and being a vegetarian (or technically a pescetarian since I eat dairy, eggs, and fish) I find it really hard to get that much protein a day. Plus, I hate cooking and am not that good at it, I like the way some of the protein powders taste, and they're easy to make. I do try and get 15-25 grams of protein within 30 minutes of my weight lifting, because protein helps repair muscles.

Edit: I usually stick to GNC low carb version or Jay Robb, both of which have about 25g protein and under 5g each of fat, carbs, and sugar. If you do decide to supplement with one, make sure it's less than 150 calories per serving and at least 20g protein, with little fat, carbs, and sugar.
  • namrettik
    namrettik Posts: 127
    Options
    I drink mine right after heavy lifting. It's the protein and carbs my muscles need immediately after a workout; no thawing chicken, buying sandwiches that are horrible in every other aspect, etc. Plus, it's quite tasty.
  • jg627
    jg627 Posts: 1,221 Member
    Options
    I've heard all the reasons, but I still don't get it. I'm cheap, so is milk.
  • taso42_DELETED
    taso42_DELETED Posts: 3,394 Member
    Options

For non fat milk, you are going to get approximately 1.44g of carbs (1.33g of sugar) for each gram of protein you consume. Whereas with a protein concentrate or isolate it's almost pure protein.

Milk is great.

But if you're going to draw a comparison, something like chicken breast would be nutritionally more comparable to a protein shake.

Now, if you're comparing a "recovery" or "meal-replacement" shake, then milk is a pretty decent analog, but keep in mind it's more carb than protein.
  • jg627
    jg627 Posts: 1,221 Member
    Options

For non fat milk, you are going to get approximately 1.44g of carbs (1.33g of sugar) for each gram of protein you consume. Whereas with a protein concentrate or isolate it's almost pure protein.

Milk is great.

But if you're going to draw a comparison, something like chicken breast would be nutritionally more comparable to a protein shake.

Now, if you're comparing a "recovery" or "meal-replacement" shake, then milk is a pretty decent analog, but keep in mind it's more carb than protein.

Yeah, but milk tastes yummy after a hard workout. I've been getting into the habit of a post workout milk chug. Not that milky water stuff. Usually 2%.
  • 16mixingbowls
    16mixingbowls Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    I bought in to the shake thing for a while. On a hot day blending up a smoothie with a few scoops of low carb protein powder is refreshing, but for me it replaced a whole meal (calorie wise.) Even though it tasted good and met my macronutrient needs, I wasn't satisfied since I didn't get to chew anything.

I get over my required protein every day by at least 20 grams and never use shakes to do so. I also can't eat bread due to Celiac disease, so I have more of an incentive to not fill up on carbs, but still, I make most meals meat and veggies, with fruit as snacks.

Bottom line: shakes are convenient and packed with macronutrients you *might* need. Not everyone *needs* to ingest a protein shake, nor are they better than equal proteins that aren't powdered.

Watch out for shakes like Slim Fast and similar shakes, as they have tons and tons of artificial chemicals that your body DOESN'T need. Ever.
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options
    Bottom line: shakes are convenient and packed with macronutrients you *might* need. Not everyone *needs* to ingest a protein shake, nor are they better than equal proteins that aren't powdered.

Actually whey protein is absorbed into your system MUCH faster than other forms of protein, which is beneficial directly after a workout.
  • TK421NotAtPost
    TK421NotAtPost Posts: 512 Member
    Options
    For people who place a high priority on meeting their macro-nutrient goals, a protein shake can help. Of course, it can also be done with so-called "real foods".... it just takes a little bit more time and effort.
  • TK421NotAtPost
    TK421NotAtPost Posts: 512 Member
    Options
    A glass of chocolate milk, a peanut butter and jelly sandwich, or a homemade egg sandwhich will replenish your body's deficits for much cheaper than an expensive protein drink will.

Expensive? Interesting. A tub of Optimum Nutrition's Whey protein costs 44.99 and contains a 120 servings....each serving containing 24 grams of protein. At 37 cents per 24 grams of protein, I really can't think of a cheaper source of complete protein.
  • CaliGirl313
    Options
    I drink GNC Wellbeing be-BUFF Vanilla Bean Protein Mix for women. You mix 1 scoop with water and it has only 100 calories, and 7 carbs while packing 15g of protein! It's the best protein shake I've ever tasted and you can easily mix fruit with it. It helps me not feel sick after my morning workouts and keeps me feeling full well until lunch time :)
  • suzycreamcheese
    suzycreamcheese Posts: 1,766 Member
    Options
    ive tried 2 different types of protein shakes, and protien bars, and every one of them make me feel either sick and nauseous (whey) or bloated and couldnt stop farting (soya)

I just dont think they aggree with me at all, so i just try and get protein in my diet where i can now, and havent noticed any negative effects for not supplementing
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options
    A glass of chocolate milk, a peanut butter and jelly sandwich, or a homemade egg sandwhich will replenish your body's deficits for much cheaper than an expensive protein drink will.

Expensive? Interesting. A tub of Optimum Nutrition's Whey protein costs 44.99 and contains a 120 servings....each serving containing 24 grams of protein. At 37 cents per 24 grams of protein, I really can't think of a cheaper source of complete protein.
    So true, too bad people only think in terms of price tag. To get the same amount of protein from milk you'd need to buy 22.5 gallons. One serving of protein powder has the same amount of protein as 3 glasses of milk, which works out to about 75 cents per 24 grams of protein. In eggs, you'd need to buy 40 DOZEN to get the same amount of protein. It takes 4 eggs to equal one serving of the ON powder. Still be about 75 cents to a dollar to get 24 grams of protein from eggs. And you'd need 22.5 jars of peanut butter. Not to mention 24 grams of protein from peanut butter would be about 600 calories.
  • CaliGirl313
    Options
    ive tried 2 different types of protein shakes, and protien bars, and every one of them make me feel either sick and nauseous (whey) or bloated and couldnt stop farting (soya)

I just dont think they aggree with me at all, so i just try and get protein in my diet where i can now, and havent noticed any negative effects for not supplementing

The women's be-BUFF that I drink has special enzymes to relieve bloating etc...
  • Felesina1
    Felesina1 Posts: 142
    Options

When there is a diet that is calorie restricted, it is often easier to drink a 100 calorie protein drink after my work-out than to do a higher cal food; but that is just me.
  • suzycreamcheese
    suzycreamcheese Posts: 1,766 Member
    Options

The women's be-BUFF that I drink has special enzymes to relieve bloating etc...

i dont think its available in the UK. id be interested in finding a gentle one, but tbh, when each tub of it costs like £20/£25 and then i have to throw/give it away, it gets to be an expensive experiment that i cant afford.
  • amomatt
    amomatt Posts: 41
    Options
    I have one for breakfast most days coz it's a good hit of protein to break the fast and it's easy for to get down while getting the 3 chidlren ready for the day.