Replacement for salad dressing?

Options
I like salads but what I love even more is drowing my salad in ranch dressing :noway: . So I want to know what you guys use as an healthier alternative to salad dressing? Do you have any DIY or any suggestions??

Replies

• iwillbeoneday
    iwillbeoneday Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    Salsa is a great alternative that you can add a lot to your salad without hurting your calorie count. Also if you like to add fruit to your salad, I highly recommend fat free poppyseed dressing. It is amazing!
  • vaughny
    vaughny Posts: 145
    Options
    sprinkle a little bit of ranch seasoning from a ranch packet on your salad and drizzle a teaspoon of olive oil on it toss it together, Or use a tub of cottage cheese in the blender a lil water and a ranch packet blend together put on salad ta da!
  • KayaSamantha
    KayaSamantha Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    A little bit of Ranch seasoning with fat free sour cream (20 cals/ 2 tbs!!!).
  • alohabrie
    alohabrie Posts: 204
    Options
    I make a lemon dijon dressing with lemon zest, lemon juice (lots), a dab of dijon mustard and a glob (technical term here) of garlic oiive oil. Whisk together - much less fat and calories and it is really yummy. Goes great with shrimp salads!
  • Barbj56
    Barbj56 Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    I use olive oil and different types of vinegar. One tsp. oil to one Tbsp. vinegar. Also, I always ask for oil and vinegar packets for my Subway salad. Usually they give me more than I use so the extra packets go in a ziploc bag in my purse for the times when o&v isn't available.
  • cmg2008
    cmg2008 Posts: 139
    Options
    Thanks everyone!
  • jkldsmom
    jkldsmom Posts: 15
    Options
    I top salads with fruit juice instead of salad dressing and other times I use mustard (its like a sandwich without the bread).
  • Katie3784
    Katie3784 Posts: 543
    Options
    I do not totally nix the dressing, I just use a lot less of it and I use either low fat or fat free. I 1/2 serving(1 tbsp) of either Hidden Valley Light buttermilk ranch dressing, or Ken's fat free honey mustard. I am a firm believer in everything in moderation.
  • kimi131
    kimi131 Posts: 1,058 Member
    Options
    love these ideas!
  • tmt2003
    tmt2003 Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    Franks red hot buffalo sauce is zero calories, I add that to my ranch fat free ranch - doubles the amount of dressing I can have without adding any calories!
  • stevwil41
    stevwil41 Posts: 608 Member
    Options
    Try this. It's out of a Quick and Healthy cookbook.

1 package (.4 oz) ranch style dressing mix
    1/2 c nonfat plain yogurt
    1/2 c reduced calorie mayo
    1 pint buttermilk

In a larg bowl, blend package with yogurt and mayo. Mix in buttermilk. This stores in the refrigerator for several weeks and yields 3 cups. Per the recipe 1 Tbl has 14 calories. The consistency is thinner than bottled dressing but the taste is pretty much the same.
  • JWeaser
    JWeaser Posts: 302
    Options
    Check your grocery store for a line of dressings made by Walden Farms. No Fat, No Calories, No Carbs, No Sugars and they are really good. We get the Ranch, Bacon Ranch, and Bleu Cheese. They make a Cesar too.
  • killagb
    killagb Posts: 3,280 Member
    Options
    Balsamic vinaigrettes aren't too bad and you can make your own too.
  • wolfpack111
    Options
    fat free buffalo sauce especially with grilled chicken yum!
  • stevwil41
    stevwil41 Posts: 608 Member
    Options
    sprinkle a little bit of ranch seasoning from a ranch packet on your salad and drizzle a teaspoon of olive oil on it toss it together, Or use a tub of cottage cheese in the blender a lil water and a ranch packet blend together put on salad ta da!

I hadn't thought of this one! I'm going to have to try it!
  • adagolden
    adagolden Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    Check your grocery store for a line of dressings made by Walden Farms. No Fat, No Calories, No Carbs, No Sugars and they are really good. We get the Ranch, Bacon Ranch, and Bleu Cheese. They make a Cesar too.

Ditto to the Walden Farms. I love the chipotle ranch and its a great dip or salad dressing and you don't feel guilty about using lots of it.
  • Jackie_Snape80
    Options
    I personally love Ortega taco sauce on my salads. That or some mild salsa with a bit of pepper and hot sauce. Also, warm marinara taste great with some garlic and diced tomatoes. ...now I want some salad :S
  • jwaters1006
    jwaters1006 Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    i like the wishbone sprays
  • tropicalicyicy
    tropicalicyicy Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    I too looove ranch dressing too but i feel like it's just extra calories and sodium and i don't like the fat free too much either (lots of sodium too) but i use these Salad Spritzers by Wishbone that are spray dressing. 10 sprays is a serving which is only 10 calories and 85 mg of sodium and pretty much nothing else. of course i use more than 10 sprays..about 20 or 25 but it's still healthier than any other dressings out there. i use the caeser delight one but i know they have balsamic vinaigrette (which i have tried and it's good!) and italian too, i think they might have some more but i'm not totally sure. i definitely recommend them if you are looking for a lower calorie & sodium dressing that still tastes great!!
  • Shaylala
    Shaylala Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I ADORE creamy dressings but Fat Free Ranch is GROSS! I do a couple things: I will mix 1/2 salsa, 1/2 ranch which makes it creamy or add water to my dressing (my SIL taught me that), you can use the cerviche mixture if you like tangy like that, or just plain salsa! You can also add a little fat free cottage cheese :) Good luck!