Replacement for salad dressing?

Options

Replies

• cmg2008
    cmg2008 Posts: 139
    Options
    Franks red hot buffalo sauce is zero calories, I add that to my ranch fat free ranch - doubles the amount of dressing I can have without adding any calories!

I love love franks red hot sauce! I'll definetely have to try that!
  • emilyc92
    emilyc92 Posts: 182 Member
    Options
    Definitely look for the Walden Farms dressings! My favorite is the raspberry vinaigrette. It's really good!
  • milaxx
    milaxx Posts: 1,122 Member
    Options
    I have fun with this. The basic recipe is 3:1 so if you use olive & vinegar use tbsp olive oil to 1tsp vinegar. Experiment with different flavor vinegars. I sometime even use pickle juice from the pickle jar . Other subs are instead of olive oil I use and egg yolk from a hard boiled egg, or a bit of smashed avocado. I will also use sesame oil instead of olive oil. Add a bit of plain yogurt for a creamy texture. Add whatever seasonings and spices you have on hand, I sometimes add chopped garlic & even a dab of local honey. Salsa makes a great topping as well.make your favorite fruit dressing by adding some smashed berries to your basic oil/vinegar recipe. I splurged on a expensive bottle of fig vinegar and it was so flavorful I could top a salad with half a tbsp of that and enjoy. A bit of mustard to your oil/vinegar dressings also add a nice flavor. You just want to whisk it really well to get it emulsified. Your basic oil/vinegar will turn opaque and the yogurt or avocado dressings should be whisked until they take on a creamy texture.

I haven't bought a bottle of dressing in months and cut out loads of artificial crap as well as cut down on sodium and sugar. It has also made me buy other greens/lettuces so that I can appreciate the taste of the salad and not just drink salad dressing.
  • TerezaToledo
    TerezaToledo Posts: 613 Member
    Options
    How about dipping your fork in the ranch dressing and then forking the salad. You will get the real ranch taste, only less in each bite.
  • karenkwalker
    karenkwalker Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    Walden Farms makes a no calorie salad dressing. It's usually above the bags of lettuce in the produce section. It does have sodium so you still need to watch how much you are using - but it really helps for the calories. Also if you put your dressing on the side in a little deep bowl - you can dip your fork in before you put lettuce on your fork - this gives you the salad dressing taste with each bite - but you will eat far less of the dressing. Good luck!
  • lolitsangela
    Options
    I use Maple Grove Farms of Vermont Fat Free Caeser. It's only 10 calories for two tablespoons, and there's so much flavor that I usually only end up using one!
  • tjradd73
    tjradd73 Posts: 3,495 Member
    Options
    Walden Farms makes a ZERO cal ranch dressing....I will give it a 6 out of 10...otherwise fat free Italian is pretty low and pretty tasty...or fat free catalina is good too!
  • ThePhoenixRose
    ThePhoenixRose Posts: 1,985 Member
    Options
    I love pineapple juice on my salads. Really Yummy!
  • littlemili
    littlemili Posts: 625 Member
    Options
    Old school balsamic vinegar with salt and pepper, and if I want to add more calories a bit of olive oil. You use less if you toss the salad properly in it before plating up, rather than adding it on top afterwards.
  • wedjul05
    wedjul05 Posts: 472
    Options
    I just use extra virgin oil oil, touch of balsamic, lemon juice, pepper and rock salt. Love it.
  • audigal2008
    audigal2008 Posts: 1,129 Member
    Options
    bump Great ideas everyone!
  • tgundling1
    Options
    Walden Farms Dressing, No Sugar, No Calories, Gluten Free, and it really tastes great.:drinker:
  • heathersmilez
    heathersmilez Posts: 2,579 Member
    Options
    I made guacamole the other day for the first time but with a Slimcado rather than hass avocado (slimcado is NOT genetically engineered to be less fat and cals, it is just grown in Florida rather than hass which is from California) and found it was a perfect salad dressing since slimcado's are more wet than oily when you compare the 2.

A very large serving was 86 cals for a huge salad and that helped me get in some necessary healthy fat grams.
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    I used to measure out some olive oil or flax oil and add red wine or balsamic vinegar.

Then I discovered Newman's Own Olive Oil and Vinegar dressing. TO.DIE.FOR.

It's pretty much just olive oil, vinegar and spices and a tablespoon of it will cover an entire pretty large salad. You get a healthy fat serving (which is good for burning visceral fat, fighting heart disease, etc., etc.) and fabulous taste for a relatively small number of calories.
  • cmg2008
    cmg2008 Posts: 139
    Options
    I tried frank's red hot sauce on my salad today and absoutely loved it!!!!!! Thanks for all the great ideas everybody!
  • amuhlou
    amuhlou Posts: 693 Member
    Options
    if you want low cal, try citrus juice

if you want good fats versus bad fats, try mixing olive oil, lemon juice, and garlic (or swap the lemon juice for red wine vinegar)
  • jamie1888
    jamie1888 Posts: 1,704 Member
    Options
    I don't use much salad dressing... most times I just put my juicy lean protein over salad greens and let the meat and juices be my dressing. If I want to make it a little creamy, I will add an ounce or two of non fat plain greek yogurt.
  • wildrose85014
    Options
    i had a friend who never used any dressings... i thought it was weird til i tried it,. now i notice all the flavors of the food i'm eating. if i do use dressing, it is very little or on the side..
  • rankailie
    rankailie Posts: 144
    Options
    if you want low cal, try citrus juice

if you want good fats versus bad fats, try mixing olive oil, lemon juice, and garlic (or swap the lemon juice for red wine vinegar)

I'm a fan of this myself. Lemon or Lime juice on mixed greens is incredibly tasty. Toss in a bit of pepper and some olive oil and its really good.

Arugula with lemon, olive oil and black pepper is incredibly good all on its own.
  • fionarama
    fionarama Posts: 788 Member
    Options
    the best thing I've found is the spray on balsamic dressing gives some flavour without drowning your salad.