Probability of gaining it all back... and more

Options
124»

Replies

• engineman312
    engineman312 Posts: 3,450 Member
    Options
    So, most data suggests that 80-90 percent of us will gain most/all/more weight back, once we have lost.

you know what i read here?? that 80-90 percent of people wanted to fail.
  • engineman312
    engineman312 Posts: 3,450 Member
    Options
    Statistics are notoriously flaky. After all, do you know that 75% of people believe every statistic they read?

Ha, also that over 80% of statistics are made up!

"oh people can come up with statistics to prove anything kent. 14 of people know that"- homer simpson
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    I'm really hoping I don't gain any back, but it all depends on exercise for me. I'm one of those people that hasn't struggled with weight all my life. I was thin as a child, teenager and younger adult. I didn't really start putting on any weight until after age 35 and then it would be 5 - 7 lbs which I could always lose quickly. But now at age 50 I find I have to work harder and more consistently at it as my metabolism naturally slows. I've eaten healthy for years, most of my adult life in fact because I started eating healthy when I had children and I had them when I was quite young. But it used to be so much easier to get motivated to exercise, and I gain weight so fast if I stop. What a drag it is getting old!! :sad:
  • zta1989
    zta1989 Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    I feel like most people lose the weight they want, and then stop doing what they did to lose it.
    Most people STOP counting calories, STOP exercising and STOP weighing themselves.

I agree with this line of thinking. How many of the rebound people stopped doing what they were doing as they lost the weight? Did they cut back on working out? Did they stop tracking their food for the day? Did they decide that a little more fast food would be OK? There are too many variables for them to make a blanket statement like that.
  • albayin
    albayin Posts: 2,524 Member
    Options
    I guess it's a process of trial and error. Some people will learn the lesson and do better next round; others just give it up.