Need to use up zucchini....help me out!

Options

Replies

• weightofyourskin
    Options
    http://www.eatliverun.com/cheesy-zucchini-pizza/

You'd need to make a few substitutions, like low-cal cheese, but this recipe is amazing.
  • poesch77
    poesch77 Posts: 1,005 Member
    Options
    Zucchini Muffins.....Thanks Kansasgal for the website link!! I am gonna make these!!

A sprinkling of raisins and heart-healthy walnuts make these low fat muffins the zucchini equivalent of Morning Glory Muffins. Enjoy with a low fat smoothie for a great start to your day.
    Cook Time: 20 minutes
    Total Time: 20 minutes
    Ingredients:

1 cup all-purpose flour
    1 cup whole wheat flour
    1 tbsp baking powder
    1/4 tsp salt
    1/4 tsp nutmeg
    1/2 cup sugar
    1 cup shredded zucchini, packed
    1 tbsp lemon zest
    2 tbsp canola oil
    1 egg, lightly beaten
    3/4 cup fat-free milk
    1/3 cup raisins
    1/4 cup chopped walnuts

Preparation:
    Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Line a 12-cup muffin pan with paper cases or spray pan with nonstick cooking spray.

In a large bowl, stir together flour, baking powder, salt, nutmeg and sugar. In a medium bowl, combine zucchini, lemon zest, canola oil, egg and milk, stirring well.

Make a well in the dry ingredients; add zucchini mixture, raisins and walnuts. Stir until just moist. Do not over mix. Spoon batter into muffin cups. Bake for 20 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.

Per muffin: Calories 172, Calories from Fat 40, Total Fat 4.5g (sat 0.4g), Cholesterol 18mg, Sodium 185mg, Carbohydrate 29g, Fiber 2g, Protein 4g
  • poesch77
    Options
    halve a zucchini lengthwise and scrape out the insides. sautee some onions, tomatoes, garlic (in butter or olive oil). spoon these back into the empty shells and sprinkle with some cheese. bake in oven at about 400 degrees for about 10 mins or until cheese is all melted!

Holy yum!
  • mcrowe1016
    mcrowe1016 Posts: 647 Member
    Options
    Sautee thinly sliced zucchini in small amount of olive oil and garlic over low heat for twenty minutes (2 meduim zucchini and 1 tbsp evoo)

Mix with half cup of feta cheese and basil. Enjoy!
  • misslauren88
    misslauren88 Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    you could give me some! lol, i slice them up and eat them with salsa like chips.
  • Sharont213
    Sharont213 Posts: 323 Member
    Options
    ever make stuffed green peppers? just use hollowed out zuchinni instead of the peppers, adding the pulp you scooped out to the filling

Or

shred as much as you want and toss in a heated, lightly oiled skillet. salt and pepper to taste, with fresh lemon juice.
  • sehein7
    sehein7 Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    Squash and Tomato Gratin is really good. I cooked it last night, but didn't drizzle olive oil on it. I have a olive oil sprayer so I misted some oil on top. Family really liked it. Low in calories but lots of flavor!
    http://www.recipetips.com/recipe-cards/t--2704/squash-and-tomato-gratin.asp
  • DoIt4Them
    DoIt4Them Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I use my slicer to make it into little thin strips and use it as noodles - I don't even cook it, just shred, put into bowl and pour over hot pasta sauce; it cooks it perfectly.
  • poesch77
    Options
    Thanks for all the great ideas!!!
  • kittyloo123
    kittyloo123 Posts: 300 Member
    Options
    slice, wrap in bacon and hold in place with tooth pics, salt, pepper and garlic powder, grill until bacon is cooked! yummy!

slice, add butter salt and pepper. cook in microwave until zucchini cooked through!

here is a site with some great low cal recipes:

http://lowfatcooking.about.com/od/summer/tp/10-Low-Fat-Zucchini-Recipes.htm

Good luck! sorry, just gotta ask, why would you salt bacon???
  • Newnanax3
    Newnanax3 Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    Cream of Zucchini Soup~ awesome!!
    From Gina's Weight Watcher Recipes

Cream of Zucchini Soup

This simple recipe is a favorite in my house. I make this a few times a month and my family loves it!

Cream of Zucchini Soup
    Gina's Weight Watcher Recipes
    Servings: 4 • Size: 1 cup • Old Points: 1 pt • Points+: 2 pt
    Calories: 65.3 • Fat: 1.0g • Protein: 3.5 g • Carb: 11 g • Fiber: 2.8 g

• 1/2 small onion, quartered
    • 2 cloves garlic
    • 3 small zucchini skin on cut in large chunks
    • 32 oz fat free chicken stock
    • 2 tbsp reduced fat sour cream
    • salt
    • pepper

Combine chicken broth, onion, garlic and zucchini in a medium pot and cook on medium heat.

Bring to a boil, lower heat, cover, and simmer until tender, about 20 minutes. Remove from heat. Purée: Add the sour cream. Using an immersion blender, purée till smooth.

Stir in remaining ingredients, and adjust seasonings to taste. Serve hot.

Optional: Top with 2 tsp parmesan cheese - 1 point extra
  • Lecypage
    Lecypage Posts: 22
    Options
    I'm a vego so when the boys are having their steaks on the bbq I slice some zucchinis and salt them lightly and bbq them..... so tasty. Aubergine is awesome for this too.

Also if you grate it and put it on a pizza before you add your normal ingredients it adds a great zing
  • Sarah_uk
    Sarah_uk Posts: 209
    Options
    I cook them in tomato sauce (with onion,peppers,garlic& any spices you like) and eat it with rice :)

Or zucchini soup. (something like this http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/zucchini-soup-i/detail.aspx )
  • jenet006
    jenet006 Posts: 10
    Options
    Zucchini and egg fritatta or possibly even just egg white fritatta! A few added veg, in the oven and bake! Great lunch for the whole family or even as a breakfast!
  • AEB_WV
    AEB_WV Posts: 323 Member
    Options
    slice in rounds, spray w/ veg oil, add salt & pepper & roast in an iron skillett @ 425
  • sunnyrunner23
    sunnyrunner23 Posts: 182 Member
    Options
    1.Shred fresh zucchini in a food processor

2. top with some asian peanut sauce

3.microwave about a minute

4.stir it up, add hot sauce and clip some fresh basil into it.....YUM!!

No added oil, no cheese and you get an Asian food fix
  • esslgs
    esslgs Posts: 29
    Options
    I need some zucchini recipes......other than sauteed, baked in a cheesy casserole and for bread.....sick of all these ways! I have ALOT so please help me!!

Leave it on your neighbor's front door:happy:
  • Heather3186
    Options
    yum! going to have to try these!
  • 3dgbern
    3dgbern Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Zucchini pancakes topped with marinara sauce and parm cheese, or with fresh sliced tomatoes - makes great dinner, along with a side salad and fruit
  • Julia6633
    Julia6633 Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    One of my favorites!

Skillet Pizza

ingredient list
    Serves 4

8 oz. chilled pizza dough (1/2 of 16-oz. pkg.)
    2 tsp. olive oil
    2 Tbs. plus 2 tsp. prepared refrigerator pesto
    1/2 cup shredded low-moisutre part-skim mozzarella cheese
    2 Tbs. low-fat ricotta cheese
    1 large zucchini, sliced into 1/4-inch rounds

Directions
    Set rack in lower third of oven and preheat oven to 500F.
    Stretch dough into 10-inch round. Heat oil in 10-inch skillet over high heat. Cook dough round 3 minutes, or until brown and crisp on bottom. Turn dough over in skillet using 2 spatulas. Remove from heat.
    Spread 2 Tbs. pesto over crust in skillet. Sprinkle with mozzarella. Top with dollops of ricotta, spaced well apart. Set zucchini rounds around ricotta.
    Place skillet in oven; bake pizza 8 minutes, or until cheese is melted and bubbly. Spoon remaining pesto over zucchini rounds, and sprinkle with freshly ground black pepper. Cut into 4 wedges, and serve.

Per SERVING:

Calories 252
    Protein 10g
    Total Fat 12g
    Saturated Fat 3g
    Carbs 28g
    Cholesterol 13mg
    Sodium 394mg
    Fiber 2g
    Sugar 3g