Plateau

Options
How long do you generally have to be doing the same routine to plateau? I have previous workout experience and I recall it being like a month or two. I am frustrated. I have been very strict with myself working out like I should...averaging a 600 + burn 5 days a week. Eating extremely well. Using supplements, and I have not lost any weight in the last 2 weeks. Btw I have been doing this routine for 4 weeks. Any suggestions?

Replies

• ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,708 Member
    Options
    How long do you generally have to be doing the same routine to plateau? I have previous workout experience and I recall it being like a month or two. I am frustrated. I have been very strict with myself working out like I should...averaging a 600 + burn 5 days a week. Eating extremely well. Using supplements, and I have not lost any weight in the last 2 weeks. Btw I have been doing this routine for 4 weeks. Any suggestions?
    You're in a stall not plateau. What type of exercising? What type of supplements? How much rest are you getting?
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,411 MFP Moderator
    Options
    It takes about 30 days for a body to get used to an exercise routine. i just looked through your diary and you are veryhigh in carbs and fairly low in protein. Also, it looks like you aren't eating enough since you only eat 1300 calories but you burn 600. That nets 700 calories. In the past, everytime I hit a stall/plateau, I increase my calories and it helps it. Below is a link that will help you understand what you should be eating each day. I would suspect, you are around 1800 ish... Keep in mind you have to eat more than our Basal Metabolic Rate (BMR) which is the amount of calories you burn if you would sleep for 24 hours.

http://www.fat2fitradio.com/tools/bmr/
  • mcottle292
    Options
    You're in a stall not plateau. What type of exercising? What type of supplements? How much rest are you getting?

Workouts are Sunday: Upper body using free weights...FYI I have a total of 3 herniated disks in my neck and back do I have to be very careful on the amount of weight I use.
    Side Lateral Raises 3 sets of 10-12 reps 7.5 pounds
    Tricep Kickback 3 sets of 10-12 reps 10 pounds
    Seated cable rows 3 sets of 10-12 reps 40 pounds
    Alternate hammer curl 3 sets of 10-12 reps 10-15 pounds
    Back Extensions totaling 60
    Crunches totaling 100
    35 minutes of cardio..that includes my 10 minute warm up, that I do before weights.

Monday I do 65 minutes of elliptical first 10 minutes at level 10, next 50 minutes at level 15-18 depending on how tired my legs are, and last 5 minutes cool down.

Tuesday rest day

Wednesday I do all the same cardio that I did on Sunday plus I do lower body
    Plie dumbbell squat 3 sets of 10-12 reps 25 pounds
    Leg press 3 sets of 10-12 reps 140 pounds
    Seated leg curl 3 sets of 10-12 reps 60 pounds
    Leg extension 3 sets of 10-12 reps 60 pounds
    Seated Calf raises 3 sets of 10-12 reps 130 pounds
    Thigh Adductor 3 sets of 10-12 reps 100 pounds
    Dumbell bench press 3 sets of 10-12 reps

Thursday Same cardio as Monday

Friday Total body...all the previous weight work outs plus the cardio I do on a weight day.

Saturday rest day.

I use whey protein shakes on weight days right after working out, take a multi vitamin, cla, fish oil, and a thermogenic fat burner. I have my food set to 40% protein/40% carb/20%fat. My calories are set at 1500 before workout, I generally consume 1800-2000 a day, keeping my ratios intact. I sleep 7-8 hours a night.
  • mcottle292
    Options
    It takes about 30 days for a body to get used to an exercise routine. i just looked through your diary and you are veryhigh in carbs and fairly low in protein. Also, it looks like you aren't eating enough since you only eat 1300 calories but you burn 600. That nets 700 calories. In the past, everytime I hit a stall/plateau, I increase my calories and it helps it. Below is a link that will help you understand what you should be eating each day. I would suspect, you are around 1800 ish... Keep in mind you have to eat more than our Basal Metabolic Rate (BMR) which is the amount of calories you burn if you would sleep for 24 hours.

Generally I am not that bad I have been a little off since last Friday. I do agree though I am not 100% all the time but I feel for the most part I stay on track.
  • mcottle292
    Options

Generally I am not that bad I have been a little off since last Friday. I do agree though I am not 100% all the time but I feel for the most part I stay on track.

Okay looking through my diary I see there is room for improvement as far as calorie consumption goes. This is the first time in my life I have ever paid attention to calories and ratios and this is the first time I have had a hard time losing weight.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,708 Member
    Options
    Workouts are Sunday: Upper body using free weights...FYI I have a total of 3 herniated disks in my neck and back do I have to be very careful on the amount of weight I use.
    Side Lateral Raises 3 sets of 10-12 reps 7.5 pounds
    Tricep Kickback 3 sets of 10-12 reps 10 pounds
    Seated cable rows 3 sets of 10-12 reps 40 pounds
    Alternate hammer curl 3 sets of 10-12 reps 10-15 pounds
    Back Extensions totaling 60
    Crunches totaling 100
    35 minutes of cardio..that includes my 10 minute warm up, that I do before weights.

Monday I do 65 minutes of elliptical first 10 minutes at level 10, next 50 minutes at level 15-18 depending on how tired my legs are, and last 5 minutes cool down.

Tuesday rest day

Wednesday I do all the same cardio that I did on Sunday plus I do lower body
    Plie dumbbell squat 3 sets of 10-12 reps 25 pounds
    Leg press 3 sets of 10-12 reps 140 pounds
    Seated leg curl 3 sets of 10-12 reps 60 pounds
    Leg extension 3 sets of 10-12 reps 60 pounds
    Seated Calf raises 3 sets of 10-12 reps 130 pounds
    Thigh Adductor 3 sets of 10-12 reps 100 pounds
    Dumbell bench press 3 sets of 10-12 reps

Thursday Same cardio as Monday

Friday Total body...all the previous weight work outs plus the cardio I do on a weight day.

Saturday rest day.

I use whey protein shakes on weight days right after working out, take a multi vitamin, cla, fish oil, and a thermogenic fat burner. I have my food set to 40% protein/40% carb/20%fat. My calories are set at 1500 before workout, I generally consume 1800-2000 a day, keeping my ratios intact. I sleep 7-8 hours a night.
    While you're working the legs well, it seems you lack any "BIG" upper body exercise work. The back and chest are big body parts, so try adding at least one exercise for each on your upper body workouts.
    And looking at your diary, it does seem you could make sure you're more consistent. As we age, the metabolism slows so it's actually more important to be more diligent.
  • mcottle292
    Options
    Thanks for the advice guys!
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,411 MFP Moderator
    Options
    Work on incorporating more stuff like chicken and eggs. Very high in protein and rather low calories. Also, use that website I posted for your caloric needs. I have a feeling you are short. I would suggest getting away from the prepackage items like lean cuisines and deli meats. They are loaded with sodium which will prevent weight loss.