Activia Greek Yogurt is GARBAGE

Options
13»

Replies

• RBXChas
    RBXChas Posts: 2,708 Member
    Options
    One thing that does drive me crazy with yogurt in general - it's almost always either full fat or fat free! Per my dietitian, I need to always have some fat in my meals and snacks. One snack I do like is a yogurt, but there is almost no middle ground on the fat, and so few flavors that I like that are in that low fat category when I can find it. Rawr!
    Have you tried mixing fat free and full fat together and making your own? Fage has their 0% fat version, which I prefer, but also a 2% fat version.

With Greek yogurt, it seems to be 0% or 2%, but with regular it's either non-fat (or close to it) or full-fat, which is hard to find in single servings. When my son was a baby, I had the hardest time finding good full-fat yogurt without buying some special brand marketed for babies (read: $$).
  • RBXChas
    RBXChas Posts: 2,708 Member
    Options
    Also, for probiotic purposes, you all should check out kefir, which is like drinkable yogurt but with more probiotics. I prefer Lifeway.
  • PaleoPath4Lyfe
    PaleoPath4Lyfe Posts: 3,161 Member
    Options
    I like full fat Fage or Greek Gods. I bought Trader Joe's full fat cream line yogurt this past week and is good also if you have a trader joe's around you.
  • princibessa
    Options
    Yup...Activia and Yoplait both tend to be higher than other yogurts with the sugar grams. If you really like yogurt, look for a plain yogurt (less sugar) and make sure it has at least 3-4 cultures (that makes for a healthy yogurt). You can always add your own fruit to flavor it or go for the granola, its higher in fat (not the bad fat, also higher in protein and fiber). Definitely makes for a healthier choice in food :)
  • melissaadkins39
    Options
    If you think Dannon should be ashamed, be sure to take a second look at Kashi ...can we say false advertising?
  • HeidiCooksSupper
    HeidiCooksSupper Posts: 3,831 Member
    Options
    Can you tell me what the difference is between the greek yogurts, and the regular yoplait yogurt? I haven't ate much lately, but really should.

Greek yogurt is strained twice. It is the same yogurt but by straining an extra time it has less water in it. Less water leaves the same amount with higher protein level.

I make wonderful Greek yogurt simply by straining the grocery-store brand plain fat free yogurt -- which has no thickeners or any other extra ingredients. I just dump it in a screen strainer and put it in the fridge for several hours. I get the same amount of Greek yogurt as a $3.79 container of Fage for $2.39 and the whey is great for making bread.

4fc7a71c-9ea1-45a1-be20-646bbbec419f_zps3ee35781.jpg
  • scottaworley
    scottaworley Posts: 871 Member
    Options
    Sounds like Fage 2% is what you want... And they are delicious :) and from cows not given rbgh!

Yes, all that! And soooooooo expensive! :-(

Fage is sooo cheap. Like $1.25 per.
  • totem12
    totem12 Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    Anything Activia gives me unbearable stomach cramps! Shame, their 'creamy' dessert yoghurts are rather delicious.
  • jay16199
    jay16199 Posts: 1
    Options
    But it's delicious!
  • FitnessLover001
    FitnessLover001 Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    i love love LOVE Oikos PLAIN greek yogurt! Only 80calories, 6g of sugar, and 7g of carbs (I think, either way it's very low) and high on protein! I don't advise getting any brand of yogurt with fruit already in it because they all have tons of sugar. I'd just stick my own fruit in my yogurt!
  • mortuseon
    mortuseon Posts: 579 Member
    Options
    FAGE
  • BrainyBurro
    BrainyBurro Posts: 6,129 Member
    Options
    The Walking Thread
    Night of the Living Thread
    Day of the Thread
    The Evil Thread
    etc.