Runners: what are your "must haves"?

Options
I participated in my first half marathon back in March (the Dallas Rock N Roll) and am now training for my second half (San Antonio RNR) in November and have signed up for a third one (1st ever Tinker Bell Half at Disneyland) at the end of January. I'm particularly excited about the TB one since my mom will be joining me and my sister and dad will do the 5k ;-) AND...I am getting the chance to meet some MFP friends too!

I've never been an actual runner, I was self taught and my first half I just "winged" it. Now I want to be more prepared and I want to improve.

I have already discovered the joys of dri wick socks and shirts and fell in love with my Nike feather light hat, but am wondering what else are some "must haves"/ essentials for half marathons? I do have a Garmin Forerunner 305 and that's handy but I noticed the calorie burn isn't as high as when I use my normal HRM. Another runner uses 2 HRMs. I've thought about doing this but haven't tried it.

I've heard about compression tights/sleeves but wasn't sure if you wear them during or after the long runs.

Ice baths vs. soaking in epsom salt?

Ear buds that actually stay in place? I'm thinking about Yurbuds (saw the booth at the expo and should have bought them right then and there!)

I am reading a couple of Hal Higdon books so I am learning about speed drills and tempo runs and the like. I am also experimenting with products (Clif Block shots, chews, etc…)

Any recommendations/advice/thoughts/tips/suggestions/experiences?

Favorite products, products to stay away from/don't bother with?

I appreciate any input.

Thanks!

Replies

• wbgolden
    wbgolden Posts: 2,071 Member
    Options
    Body Glide. Most important thing for me :)
  • CrazyAdventure
    CrazyAdventure Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    Bump! Would love to hear the replies to this!
  • joehempel
    joehempel Posts: 1,761 Member
    Options
    I'm in the same boat, only running my 1st half-marathon in October.

I tried to go the "runners" route, signed up over at runnersworld.com etc, but after being told I'm doing everything wrong and am not a real runner for not doing things a certain way, I said screw it.

I just run, I've got some water wicking socks. Those are awesome, my feet don't feel especially feel blistery after a long run (my current runs are at 7.5 miles)

I think some lighter shirts (other than cotton) would be good as well!

Good luck with your 1/2's....and congrats on your 1st one!
  • GettingFitterVicki
    GettingFitterVicki Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    Properly gait analysed fitted running shoes. A must have. Followed by wicking gear! A garmin would be up there if I had the pennies, as I hear the once you have one you wonder why you didn't sooner!
  • nseuell
    nseuell Posts: 110
    Options
    Gummy bears for mid-marathon!
  • runnermel
    runnermel Posts: 278
    Options
    hey! I did the Dallas RnR also! it was a blast and loved Bret Michaels! and I am doing San Antonio RnR as well, only I registered for the full this time! scared to death, but would love to hear responses. for me it is definitely the body glide and my ifitness belt. and as far as headphones, I bought some bluetooth wireless headphones and they are fabulous!!! best $100 I ever spent! they hook over your ears and stay in place perfectly. plus, I can answer my phone, carry on conversation, skip songs, etc. definitely recommend!!!!!
  • MissAnjy
    MissAnjy Posts: 2,480 Member
    Options
    a fuel belt
    garmin forerunner 405cx
    bondiband (headbands)
    proper running shoes
  • datzun
    datzun Posts: 198
    Options
    For headphones, I just bought these (SHQ3000):
    http://pulse.philips.com/blog/2010/06/17/sports-headphones-no-sweat/

Best I've found so far. The sound quality isn't the best, but they haven't fell out of my ears at all (all previous ones I've tried have). They also come w/ a clip so you can clip it to your shirt so the cord isn't flying everywhere.

I require bandaids for my runs (body glide doesn't seem to work for me). :(
    Wicking gear is a big plus.
    Arm band/iPhone holder is must have.
  • skinnylove00
    skinnylove00 Posts: 662 Member
    Options
    definitely check out REI (this awesome camping store) they have these little electrolyte gummies that you can just pop in your mouth if you feel depleted and exhausted from running. also it helps put on some cals that you are no doubt just torching off your body haha!!
  • demery12371
    demery12371 Posts: 253 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • SunSand76
    SunSand76 Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    So glad you posted this!! This newbie has a lot to learn :)

Oh, and I love, LOVE, L-O-V-E my Nike featherweight caps too!!
  • SueInAz
    SueInAz Posts: 6,592 Member
    Options
    I'm running the 5K at the Tinkerbell (don't think I'll be ready for the 1/2) and a new 10K "warmup" for the RnR Arizona this October. I'm very new to this running thing.

So far, most important to me is the armband for my Android phone so I can use my Cardio Trainer app and listen to music.
  • GettingFitterVicki
    GettingFitterVicki Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    I'm a member of a fantastic running web site, Runners Forum. No-one will shoot you down in flames if you aren't running at least 50 miles per week or go and have a curry on a weekend! :)
  • imustbegood
    imustbegood Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    Reading with interest ;)
  • ludgerclay
    ludgerclay Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    - Compression shirt and compression shorts (I'm a little heavy and bouncy, and the compression clothes fit like a second skin, reducing the amount of chafing)
    - maybe too much information: a tablespoon of petrolium jelly in a very private spot (after one epsiode of chafing, NEVER want that to happen again.)
    - ice bath after hard training runs to reduce recovery time, very effective. Half fill the tub with cold tap water, sit down to submerge legs and abs, sit for about 15 minutes moving around occasionally to keep cold.
    - heart rate monitor I generally use when running hills to avoid over- or under-exertion
    - shoes that you've run in before
  • airind
    airind Posts: 31
    Options
    For me it's my Vibram FiveFinger shoes. Running halfs in those seem easy in comparison to regular running shoes!

And a hydration belt.
  • stormieweather
    stormieweather Posts: 2,549 Member
    Options
    For me, I have a lot of trouble with a consistant pace, I either go too fast and crash and burn, or plod along too slow and might as well walk. So I use a stopwatch to time my quarter mile intervals (preplanned routes, so I know where the markers are) and adjust my speed accordingly.

Since you're running half marathons, I'd guess you're well past needing something like that though :).
  • jah1165
    jah1165 Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    i have ran 2 marathons several years ago....(before twins) and am trying to get back to running again and the only thing I really want in my run is my music....but love this topic.....
  • maniv01
    maniv01 Posts: 12
    Options
    I'm running my first half marathon in September. I found this training program on RunnerWorld.com, they have a few free plans that you can follow. It's pretty awesome! It teaches you the tempo/pace/LSD run and all that stuffs. Check it out! I've just finish my 4th week of training and didn't kill myself on the 10 miles day. So, I would say that it's working out pretty good. However, I haven't run outside yet, I live in Texas and our low temp here is around 105 degree or so. I don't want to die from heat exhaustion so I think I'll stick to treadmill till September or so. Here's the website:
    http://www.runnersworld.com/article/0,7120,s6-238-244--13233-1-1X2-3,00.html
    Hope you it help.
  • mish26
    mish26 Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    A Buff http://www.buffwear.com/pages/house-of-buff.php

I have short hair so I use it to hold it back, but a lot of people with long hair use them too. It help keep the sweat from running in your eyes. Plus, they are warm in the winter. They wick moisture, so your head doesn't get hot in the summer. I've tried running with a hat and it bugs me. These are perfect.