Runners: what are your "must haves"?

Options

Replies

• Lisamarie1226
    Lisamarie1226 Posts: 335 Member
    Options
    Thanks so much to everyone that has replied. Keep the suggestions coming! ;-)
  • cmg2008
    cmg2008 Posts: 139
    Options
    bump =) i'm a newbie runner also and i'm curious to see what others have to say!
  • ErikaSwenson
    ErikaSwenson Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    Target C-9 sport bras. My absolute favorite. Also love the Adidas anti-blister socks.

What is the best hydration belt/brand and where do you purchase it?? Thanks!!
  • beachbum0819
    Options
    Wow great advice. I am going for it all, and running the Marine Corp Marathon at the end of Oct. I have a water belt, and Gu. I have also heard about Sweedish Fish are awesome for runs.

I need to look into the right shoes, I have heard that is key. I know with the MCM, you are not allowed to wear headphones, so I am hoping I can run without listening to music.

I am very excited as I am in my 5th week of a 16 week training program, but would love more advice and tips, please !!!
  • Amanda_Runs
    Amanda_Runs Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    I also use an Amphipod hydration belt and LOVE it!
  • tigerbluefly
    tigerbluefly Posts: 257 Member
    Options
    a fuel belt
    garmin forerunner 405cx
    bondiband (headbands)
    proper running shoes

My MFP friend has said all my stuff. I don't use a fuel belt to race but it's a must for training. There are enough water stations at races that you shouldn't need to worry about the extra weight.
    A Garmin for sure is a worthy investment.
    I love my bondibands. Google them!
    Swiftwick Performance socks are my new fav.
    Body Glide is a must for my feet. I don't have issues anywhere else.
    Good running shoes are a must. Don't go cheap and make sure you have run long in them before any race.
    I use an iFitness belt for races, one that has a bib holder, and the pocket is super stretchy. Holds my phone, ID, hotel card ect.... the things you don't want to check in baggage check. I have one that only has one pocket but I will be buying one that has two at the next race expo I attend.
    Oh and GU or Power Bar energy gel for race day (and long runs), I prefer "with caffeine", for over 10K distances. You don't need it for 10K or less. Just make sure you've tried it before race day on a long run. It can irritate some peoples stomachs.

The less you carry on race day the better. Have fun!!
  • cariandy
    cariandy Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    Body Glide. Most important thing for me :)
    Ummm YA!! Body Glide..#1! Lisa that is the best advice! I used body glide on everything (so i though..:ohwell: )for my race on Sunday and didn't put it on my shorts band line..and..Owwie! Must have been the rain becasue I've never had any issues with these shorts before..They are my favorite!!

Other than that, bio freeze (called Perfom now) in your bag for after is good. I love (well, kinda hate, but mostly love..) an icebath (hard to do after the race unless you leave right away..but wonderful for training and getting right back into it!!)

Lisa, you are going to do great!!! :happy:
  • tabbydog
    tabbydog Posts: 4,925 Member
    Options
    In this order:

1. Properly fit running shoes
    2. Moisture wicking running gear (including socks and winter gear)
    3. My Garmin
    4. My headlamp and reflective gear for running at night.

Still looking for a hydration belt that I like. I hate the one I have now.
  • mkingraham
    mkingraham Posts: 445 Member
    Options
    bump!
  • 33runnergirl
    33runnergirl Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    I really love Endurox R4 recovery drink after my long runs (I'm training for the Marine Corps Marathon in October.) It is high in calories (270/serving) for those of us counting but I swear it speeds my recovery and gives me the energy to get out and about after a 10+ miler!
  • kendradl
    kendradl Posts: 595 Member
    Options
    1. Good Running shoes
    2. Moisture wick socks - mine are comfy and I love them. :love:
    3. Camelbak - will never run a race without it again (I am used to the weight of it when it is full) :love:
    4. Siege ear buds (the only ones I have found that are comfy) Although would love to hear other suggestions on good earbuds :happy:
    5. My phone for music and my GPS tracking app
    6. Paden - my dog, he goes with me to every race that he is allowed :bigsmile:

I am also running in the 5K Tinkerbell race in January and can't wait for that one, planning on doing some sightseeing as well :bigsmile:
  • MaggieMay131
    MaggieMay131 Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    Properly fitted shoes, my SpiBelt (great for the day of the race- fits your power gels, phone, ID, $$, etc) but super lightweight, and iPod shuffle. :)

I also use Nike earbuds that stay in place pretty well.
  • runnergirljaime
    runnergirljaime Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Did my first half last November, and am in week 10 of 22 weeks of marathon training for my first marathon this November (Thunder Road in Charlotte NC). I have been running since 2009 and have found that my must haves are:

1. BODY GLIDE!! I use the stick version plus the liquid powder version...can't live without it!
    2. Wicking socks....I use the Brooks ones and have found they help a ton with blisters.
    3. IPod!! I have one of the cheaper shuffles b/c I don't like having my iphone strapped to my arm...too bulky.
    4. Water belt....I have 4 (depends on the distance as to which one I use) but 2 are Fuel Belt and 2 are Nathans....both a good brand.
    5. GELS!! I tested a ton of gels during my training of my half last year and found the ones I like are the GU power gels in orange.
    6. Garmin watch is a must!
    7. Properly fitted shoes not only saved my knee pain but helped me to enjoy running more b/c I was doing it properly.

I used the USAFit training program last year for my half training. They are scattered throughout the USA and you can find the local one near you on their website. Because I had done the half, I had the full training schedule as well so that is what I am following for my marathon training. I am a lone runner (don't like running with others) so it works perfect for me. I pop my ipod in, hop on the pavement, and take care of business;-)

Best of luck in your halves :-)
  • kobzal
    kobzal Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    I do have a Garmin Forerunner 305 and that's handy but I noticed the calorie burn isn't as high as when I use my normal HRM. Another runner uses 2 HRMs. I've thought about doing this but haven't tried it.

The Garmin FR 305 actually doesn't use heart rate to calculate calories burned unless you have had a New Leaf VO2 test at a New Leaf Test facility. It uses a speed/distance/weight calculation in absence of the New Leaf test. What kind of HRM do you have? If it is newer, it may actually take heart rate into account.

My must haves for running would be:
    brooks adrenaline shoes
    pants or a shirt with pockets
    GU for runs over 6 miles
  • rickydeuce
    Options
    You may laugh, but try the Body Glide for nipple rub also. Unfortately I felt that even with a tech shirt. I acutally use Gold Bond baby power for elsewhere. I switched from entirely GU to a mix of GU and Power Bar Energy Bites (oatmeal raisin) because my digestive system doesn't like all GU.
  • Nikstergirl
    Nikstergirl Posts: 1,549 Member
    Options
    Proper shoes. Running skorts (super cute and I like to look good when I'm sweating like a pig). The best sports bra you can find. Polar FT7 HRM, I love it to keep an eye on my exertion and cals burned. Fuel belt for longer runs (I have a Nathan one and it's awesome). Jelly Belly Sport Beans for runs 7+ miles. My RunKeeper app for my iPhone which I always carry with me (either in my belt or armband).

I've only been running for just over a year but I'm training for my first 1/2 marathon, so the runs are getting much longer than I ever thought I could do and I love it! I'm still experimenting with Gatorade during/after long runs and so far I like the low-cal version best since it's not as sweet. I also run with my Rudy Project sunglasses (I need prescription and these are so lightweight and I get them from work since I work for an optometry office) and a ball cap, but I'd like to find a lighterweight ball cap or one that breathes better.. I've just been dealing with it.
  • wbgolden
    wbgolden Posts: 2,071 Member
    Options
    You may laugh, but try the Body Glide for nipple rub also.

Works like a charm! lol
  • Mkmassey3
    Mkmassey3 Posts: 214 Member
    Options
    I just ran my first 5k last weekend and signing up for my second that will be in Oct. I have a great pair of running shoes, I too love my running skorts and all of the moisture wicking tanks and tshirts. I hadn't even thought about special socks, so that is going on my list of must buys. I have the Polar FT7 and I absolutely love it! I can't imagine running more than the 3ish miles that I am running now, but I can only hope that I can build up the endurance to try a half marathon in the near future. I have a friend that runs 50-100 mile races and I am in awe of him!!! I love reading everyone's must haves! Great post!
  • lclarkjr
    lclarkjr Posts: 359 Member
    Options
    My must haves are definitely a proper pair of running shoes, moisture wicking socks, and nipple tape! I can get by without my ipod or even my garmin, but I can't run with blistered feet and chafed nipples. HAHAHA

On a similar note, I really like my Yurbuds. They seem to work a lot better than any other headphones I've tried. I have the ironman ones. And of course the greatest training tool for any runner is a garmin. I love my 305.
  • kendradl
    kendradl Posts: 595 Member
    Options
    Proper shoes. Running skorts (super cute and I like to look good when I'm sweating like a pig). The best sports bra you can find. Polar FT7 HRM, I love it to keep an eye on my exertion and cals burned. Fuel belt for longer runs (I have a Nathan one and it's awesome). Jelly Belly Sport Beans for runs 7+ miles. My RunKeeper app for my iPhone which I always carry with me (either in my belt or armband).

I've only been running for just over a year but I'm training for my first 1/2 marathon, so the runs are getting much longer than I ever thought I could do and I love it! I'm still experimenting with Gatorade during/after long runs and so far I like the low-cal version best since it's not as sweet. I also run with my Rudy Project sunglasses (I need prescription and these are so lightweight and I get them from work since I work for an optometry office) and a ball cap, but I'd like to find a lighterweight ball cap or one that breathes better.. I've just been dealing with it.

For a great, light hat try the Nike lightweight hat, it is awesome and wicks away moisture as well.