feel like im about to quit

ok, so ive met my cal goal, or have been pretty darn close. i dont eat junk food, avoid fast food and i dont drink soad. I have changed up my work outs, drink my reg 8 glasses of water a day, then bump it up to 12-18 at the gym. i work out hard 5 days a week, cause thats the only alone time i can get, and i do light cleaning every day, and take my daughter to the park to play. how much have i lost? 0. gained? 4. I just dont understand it. Jillian Michales said to lose weight you need to burn off more than you eat on the biggest loser. I can function just fine on 500-800 a day and i burn 850-870 in 65 min on the eliptical followed by 400 crunches alternating weights, and 400 leg presses alternating weights. then i wonder around and try some new things, and hit the sauna for 15-25 min to get rid of some of the water weight. I dont eat back the calories i lost cause that doesnt make sence to me. I just worked hard, am drenched, and sore from burning them off, and now im supposed to eat them? thats just like when i had my daughter they told me to drink water to lose water weight. I'm not expetcing to lose 60 lbs in a week, but i am expetcing to lose SOMETHING

Replies

• killagb
    killagb Posts: 3,280 Member
    You are slowing down your metabolism by trying to function on such few calories, if you only eat 5-800 in a day and burn 850-870...you are running a HUGE deficit....one that will put your body into a slow down where it won't burn fat near as easily. You should really read up more on eating the exercise calories back, obviously the way you're approaching it now isn't working for you.

http://shouldieatmyexercisecalories.com
  • krstal02
    krstal02 Posts: 81 Member
    Don't quit! Stay with it. I know it isn't easy I hve wanted to give up myself but I am trying to stay committed to weightloss for life
  • birdlover97111
    birdlover97111 Posts: 346 Member
    I hear you...I work out every day on the elliptical and burn between 500-800 calories, mostly close to 800...I drink a minimum of a gallon of water per day...I don't go over my calories and yet the scale says I am up 4 lbs. in the past 9 days...I feel close to quitting myself.... :sad:
  • A_New_Horizon
    A_New_Horizon Posts: 1,555 Member
    it sounds like to me you aren't eating enough. I eat anywhere from 1300 - 1500 calories/day and eat back atleast half of my exercise calories. You need fuel to burn calories, and I don't think you are giving your body enough. You are doing everything right except (in my opinion) not eating enough. You need to have a defiecency of atleast 1200 calories/day. Trying eating more and see what happens. Also, I found that when you first start losing weight the scales goes up before coming back down. Just don't give up!!! It will start paying off, it just takes time.
  • You are slowing down your metabolism by trying to function on such few calories, if you only eat 5-800 in a day and burn 850-870...you are running a HUGE deficit....one that will put your body into a slow down where it won't burn fat near as easily. You should really read up more on eating the exercise calories back, obviously the way you're approaching it now isn't working for you.

http://shouldieatmyexercisecalories.com

I agree. Maybe try to eat back some of your exercise calories. Try eating half and see what happens. I also looked at your food journal and have a few tips there if you don't mind the feedback. :O) Feel free to add me as a friend. I also struggle and for me to lose 1 pound is quite a feat.
  • leynak
    leynak Posts: 963 Member
    I'm sorry you aren't losing & wanting to quit. Maybe try eating some cals back? There seems to be a lot of people on here that say when they started eating them back they lost. I have been eating some of mine back & my weight has been coming off. Not as fast as I'd like (instantly :wink: ) but they are going. At the end of the day I usually have about 200 - 300 cals left sometimes less.

I hope you can figure something out :smile: Good luck
  • TiffMax
    TiffMax Posts: 70
    You need to eat more. Keep it healthy. You are making some great changes for your body and it will pay off- but your body is not liking those low calories- eat back you work out calories for a week- see what happens- What is your daily caloric allowance? you probably shouldnt go under 1200 + your work out calories- if you are only having 6-800 a day and working out on top of it and not eating that back your body thinks its starving and holding everything it can get.
  • Jojeen
    Jojeen Posts: 8
    Ali, it sounds like you are not eating enough to support the energy you are expending from your body. When you are working out so hard, you have to bump up your calories to feed your body otherwise it will think it is starving and hold on to the weight. Don't give up, once you find the right balance for your body and the weight starts to come off, there is a real sense of pride and accomplishment. You can do this!
  • ChantalGG
    ChantalGG Posts: 2,404 Member
    You need to be eating girl! Enjoy your food this is not a punishment for you. I have enjoyed my journey and i have eaten. Try eating at least 1500 calories a day.
  • voluptas63
    voluptas63 Posts: 602 Member
    I'd like to know what you did to burn 5060 calories in exerise on Sunday:)

It sounds like you need to eat more on your workout days. Body needs fuel to burn fat. Ridiculous to eat more to lose more, but it is what it is!
  • Melbel85
    Melbel85 Posts: 240 Member
    You are burning more than you eat. if there were ever a case of starvation mode... this is it! You need to bump your calorie intake to at least 1200. I'm not saying to eat your exercise calories back but if what you are doing is not working, its time to do something else.
  • AliDarling
    AliDarling Posts: 373
    well im never hungry and if i formce myself to eat, i feel bloated and dont feel like moving. i have tried to eat more but i cant make my cal goal on what i eat. id need things i cant have to do that. so eating more hasnt worked for me either.
  • mynika
    mynika Posts: 312 Member
    What ever you do... don't quit. I have read on here that when someone faces something as you are facing, they up their calories and continue to work out and it hurls them to a point that they are again losing the pounds. From reading some of the posts, it is dangerous to go too low on your calories as your body will go into starvation mode, and you won't lose the weight. Eat more... hope it helps, but don't quit. Good luck
  • iamahealthychick
    iamahealthychick Posts: 207 Member
    Don't leave! Try upping your calories to kick start your metabolism again. It sounds like you are not eating nearly enough.
  • This is what my sister said and it is very helpful.

Your exercise routine sounds great.

As far as what you are eating, your body is going into "starvation mode". You should NEVER eat less than 1050 calories a day. If you are burning 500 calories in exercise, this means you need to eat at least 1550 calories that day. Its also a great idea to do "Calorie Cycling" aka "Calorie Zig-Zagging". This allows your body to always keep guessing what it needs to burn (increases metabolism) and avoids the plateau.

Too few calories and you are burning away muscle, not fat. Also remember that Muscle weighs more than fat. So if you are working out and gaining muscle (by weight training) then you will gain more, but the fat will be going away.

Measurements are key. Don't depend just on the scale, but keep your measurements as well. You may not be losing any weight, but you may be losing inches. Limit yourself to only getting on the scale once a week, at the same time, wearing the same thing.

Never underestimate the power of lean protein! Your muscles need it. Carbs give you the energy you need to workout and last through the day. Too few carbs and you will be tired and lethargic. Fats are also important, but only if they are healthy fats (avocados, olive oil). By eating healthy fats you are "lubricating" your insides. This will help to avoid digestive problems such as bloating and constipation. Without healthy fats your body may not be expelling all of its waste and not be losing weight...and you will feel fat.

Remember you want to make a life change, not just another yo-yo diet routine. This will take time and effort, but in the end this is all going to be worth it when you look in the mirror and see a healthier fitter you, you have more energy and you have a higher self-esteem. You just need to make sure you do it the right way. Hope that helps! Don't give up!
  • TLW77
    TLW77 Posts: 97 Member
    There are tons more people here who can answer this a lot better than me and I am sure they will, but my advise or two cents worth is if you are working out that much you need to eat back your exercise calories. Your body is holding on to everything it has because it thinks your not going to feed it. You owe it to yourself to do more research and understand that eating less is not better.
  • AliDarling
    AliDarling Posts: 373
    I'd like to know what you did to burn 5060 calories in exerise on Sunday:)

It sounds like you need to eat more on your workout days. Body needs fuel to burn fat. Ridiculous to eat more to lose more, but it is what it is!

lol my husband and i went to magic mountain for our anniversary and walked at a jogging paces for 9.5 hours to get all the rides with our fast pass. 12 outta 15 coasters hit
  • AquaFan
    AquaFan Posts: 309 Member
    I agree with everyone else that you need to eat more calories. But what I really wanted to say is think about this, if you give up, where will you be in six months? A year? This is about changing your life and not just dropping pounds on the scale. You can do this! Don't give up.
  • jagh09
    jagh09 Posts: 555 Member
    Just a quick peek at your diary, and it looks like a lot of processed stuff. One day you had 3 granola bars as a meal? That's a lot of sugar in one sitting. Another day was some frozen pizza of sorts. I'm not being critical, i've been there! And I'm sure to be there again. I know how challenging it is to manage without processed foods. But maybe you need to look at what you're eating, as much as how many calories you're eating?

DON'T GIVE UP ON YOURSELF!

I haven't had time to read everyone else's posts, so I"m sure I"m reapeating. Sorry.

Try more fruits, veggies and whole foods. Make sure you're really weighing and measuring things, not just estimating. That's a huge downfall for people. Be sure to drink your water, and have way more than 8 cups if you're sweating a lot exercising.
    Be kind to yourself. But be honest with yourself about what you're doing. Are you tracking every bite? Are you sneaking chicken nuggets off your kid's leftovers and not putting it down (I've been so guilty of doing that!) And make sure you're balancing your intake of food with your exercise. See if you can give yourself a few days of rest in between to recover. Adjust your eating accordingly.

But don't give up! People gave real suggestions, try to work on it. You can do it!
  • jagh09
    jagh09 Posts: 555 Member
    PS. Jillian Michaels is a money making machine. Her advice isn't Gospel, nor is it for everyone. You have to find what works for you!