(NEW) OPEN CHALLENGE: FIT BY OCTOBER!!!

Options

Replies

• VeganGal84
    VeganGal84 Posts: 938 Member
    Options
    Good morning, Fitties!

How is everyone doing today?

Me, I had a dentist appointment, first one in 3 and a half years, and I now have two more appointments next week... you guessed it, FILLINGS!!! :grumble: 4 recplacements (old fillings gone bad) and one brand new one! :sad:

Still, it could have been much worse.

I skipped last night's workout because I just wasn't feeling well. I can't wait until I'm 100% again and back to my workouts completely.
  • nikkif87
    nikkif87 Posts: 193 Member
    Options
    The first dentist appt after a long time without one always ends with a few more appts. I had the same thing happen to me. I still have to have a filling replaced but that stuff is expensive, so I have sadly pushed it off for now.

Sorry to hear that you haven't been feeling well. I have felt great the last few days since I have been back to tracking and exercising. Super excited to have this challenge.:happy:
  • VeganGal84
    Options
    Time for another QOTD! Remember to PM me or post on my wall your ideas for QOTDs, and they will end up right here on the challenge. :bigsmile:

Here are the first several, for anyone who wants to catch up:

QOTD #1: What is your favorite kind of exercise and why?

QOTD #2: How did you find MFP, and how do you like it compared to other programs/sites/diets/etc you've tried in the past?

QOTD #3: What was your "a-ha" moment, meaning was there a specific moment that made you decide that it was time to lose the weight?

QOTD #4: Have you "discovered" any new foods since you started eating healthier? Or realized that you DO like some foods that you used to claim to not like?

QOTD #5: What do you do to keep yourself on track while traveling or on vacation?

QOTD #6: What is your main motivation to get in shape right now?

And today's QOTD, brought to you by challenge-member Riebop-

QOTD #7: Other than working out and losing weight, what have you done to improve your self esteem?
  • Riebop
    Riebop Posts: 275
    Options
    Guess I need to answer this...

QOTD #7: Other than working out and losing weight, what have you done to improve your self esteem?

There are a few things that I do. I'm always reminding myself that I don't look nearly as bad as I think I do. When I start in on myself negative self talk, I make myself stop and replace the negative talk with a positive affirmation. I whole heartedly believe that you shoudn't say/think something about yourself that you would say to your best friend. So, if you wouldn't call your friend a fat cow, then don't call yourself a fat cow.
  • ymhand
    ymhand Posts: 188
    Options
    NAME: Yvonne
    HEIGHT: 5'9
    START WEIGHT FOR CHALLENGE: 260.2
    GOAL WEIGHT FOR CHALLENGE: 230
    START PANTS SIZE: 20/22 (US)
    GOAL PANTS SIZE: 16/18 (US)
    FOLLOW ANY SPECIAL DIET: No special diet, trying to spread my 1400 a day calories into 6 small "meals" a day
    DIET GOALS: Cut out coffee, well cut out creamer anyways.
    EXERCISE GOALS: To do a whole kettle workout
    OTHER GOALS: To work my middle section to try and keep it as tight as possible
    FUN FACT: I am creative and love decorating cakes, cupcakes and do it yourself projects
  • nikkif87
    nikkif87 Posts: 193 Member
    Options

I haven't worked on this like I should...I have just been trying to tell myself that I can do this. Being positive is definately keeping me going.
  • Touched670
    Touched670 Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    OK, this should be easy...right?

NAME: Tammy
    HEIGHT: 5'11''
    START WEIGHT FOR CHALLENGE: 255
    GOAL WEIGHT FOR CHALLENGE:243
    START PANTS SIZE: 18(US)
    GOAL PANTS SIZE: 12/14 (when I reach my goal weight) (US)
    FOLLOW ANY SPECIAL DIET: Counting Calories 1800 a day
    DIET GOALS: plan meals weekly & less desire for junk foods
    EXERCISE GOALS: to complete 30 Day Shred in 30 days!
    OTHER GOALS: firm up and lose weight consistently (I yo-yo ALOT)
    FUN FACT: I play pool-poorly & I like to sing in Spanish
  • Pam3
    Pam3 Posts: 1,687 Member
    Options
    hope you are feeling better VEGANGAL84

i really havent done anything else,... its so much work just those two !!!!
  • Riebop
    Riebop Posts: 275
    Options
    hope you are feeling better VEGANGAL84

i really havent done anything else,... its so much work just those two !!!!

LOL!! True... Don't neglect it though. It is definitely part of the "journey." I've known people who lost a bunch of weight only to reach their goal and find out that being thin doesn't make you happy. They still felt poorly about themselves. Thankfully, giving yourself mental reminders not to put yourself down doesn't take any extra time. I didn't start working on my self esteem until tracking my diet was more of a habit than something that required alot of work. My journey went tracking, then inner improvement and finally (and recently) working out. Getting all three into my life took me a year. Now, all three are something that I work on improving everyday. I'm happier with myself and my body now at 140-142 pounds than I was when I weighed 130 pounds.

edit to add: If you can't tell, I'm very passionate about improving the mind, body and spirit. Not just the body.... we all know what happens to our bodies when we get old. :P
  • VeganGal84
    Options

I've actually done a LOT in this area! I've been a yo-yo dieter for far too long. It was time for me to find the real reasons that I was fat to begin with, so that I could end this vicious cycle.

I went to see a good therapist, which helped immensely. He helped me to realize that the reason that I just wasn't happy with my life was that I wasn't setting actual goals. All I had was a bunch of dreams, but not real plan set in place to ever reach those dreams.

I do things just for me, and for my total mental and physical health. I joined Weight Watchers in May 2009, I quit smoking in July 2009, I lost 50 pounds in 2010 (biggest transformative year physically for me ever), went vegan in April 2010, lost 70+ pounds over all, I worked hard at my relationship with my boyfriend instead of giving up and am now very happy with him, and the biggest thing I have done is going back to school. After being a freshman for 8+ years (in and out of college...), in 10 days I will be starting a semester as a college sophomore! And it feels GREAT.

Next up: quitting my job and finding part time work somewhere that offers health insurance to part timers, just so that I can remain a full time student. This step will take place at the end of the year, and I'm looking forward to taking it!

I plan to keep on setting and reaching goals for my entire life. And I plan to keep on keeping on, no matter what.
  • prettyone822
    Options
    NAME: Anita
    HEIGHT: 5'2
    START WEIGHT FOR CHALLENGE: 161
    GOAL WEIGHT FOR CHALLENGE: 150
    START PANTS SIZE: 11/12 (US)
    GOAL PANTS SIZE: 9 (US)
    FOLLOW ANY SPECIAL DIET: I just count calories!
    DIET GOALS: Cut down craving for junk foods and the munchies
    EXERCISE GOALS: be able to jog w/out my chest feeling tight
    OTHER GOALS: more firm and toned everywhere
    FUN FACT: I love music!!!
  • prettyone822
    Options
    how do i get the cool fit by october thingy? lol
  • VeganGal84
    Options
    Here are the instructions for getting the cool icon in your signature! Make sure to read them carefully, I got it wrong the first couple of tries. :laugh:
    Ok here is the icon for everyone's signature!
    bg78cp.jpg

To post this in your icon use the IMG(image) code:
    code here
    USE LOWERCASE i's this is just so the example will show up!

and put this link in where it says code here:
    http://i53.tinypic.com/bg78cp.jpg

And there ya go!
  • misslouisee
    misslouisee Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    I'm new to this but would love to join!

NAME: Louise
    HEIGHT: 5'7"
    START WEIGHT FOR CHALLENGE: 172
    GOAL WEIGHT FOR CHALLENGE: 161
    START PANTS SIZE: 14/16 (UK size)
    GOAL PANTS SIZE: 12/14 (UK size)
    FOLLOW ANY SPECIAL DIET: calorie count, eat little but often to keep hunger at bay!
    DIET GOALS: increased water intake and more fruit and veg.
    EXERCISE GOALS: to be doing at least 30 mins 3 times a week.
    OTHER GOALS: to be down to 140lbs by Christmas!
    FUN FACT: I got engaged last month! :D
  • njbooklover
    njbooklover Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    I am in. I will fill out the info later tonight.
  • prettyone822
    Options
    woohoo!! got it! thaaaaaaaaaanx!! i too get excited easily as u can see!! :happy:
  • livinglifeandlovingit
    Options

I have to say that I have always been sure of myself no matter how much I weigh because I don't define myself by others standards. I have found that others don't always like this. What I have started doing is being more observant of others body language when I am around and paying attention to their reaction to me so that I don't come off as being arrogant. I can't say that I have been losing much weight, but my focus has been more on getting heart healthy and changing my lifestyle as far as eating goes. I love to talk to people to hear their life stories because I love to feel some type of connection. It keeps me humble and appreciative of all the things that people have to offer. That is not to say that there are some people that I just choose not to be around because their character is shady. I stay away from those people.
  • BigReddHair
    Options

I have struggled with self-esteem my entire life. Consistently being picked on growing up (for red hair, for being tall, for being fat, for being weird), causes one to have major issues like that. Now I like to use my slogan "Haterz gonna' hate." When people try to kick me down, I laugh because they're just jealous! (that's what I tell myself - LOL). I also try to remember of the positive things I've done with my life, and just try to stay focused on overall becoming a better person.

Suggestion for those of you who want a new idea to boost your self esteem - make a special effort about twice a week to dress as nice as possible!! Do your makeup, do your hair, wear some nice clothes...I think that alone does wonders!
  • njbooklover
    njbooklover Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    Here's my info:

NAME: Stephanie
    HEIGHT: 5' 3''
    START WEIGHT FOR CHALLENGE: 214.4
    GOAL WEIGHT FOR CHALLENGE: 210
    DIET GOALS: Log everything and stay within daily goal
    EXERCISE GOALS: at least 3 times a week
    OTHER GOALS: Declutter my house
    FUN FACT: I like to crochet and want to learn to knit.
  • MayraLissette
    Options
    NAME: Mayra
    HEIGHT: 5'2''
    START WEIGHT FOR CHALLENGE: 149
    GOAL WEIGHT FOR CHALLENGE: 140
    START PANTS SIZE: 10/11 (US)
    GOAL PANTS SIZE: 9 (US)
    FOLLOW ANY SPECIAL DIET: not really, i just try to eat more veggies
    DIET GOALS: try to eat less chocolate and junk food :sad:
    EXERCISE GOALS: be able to jog 1 mile without stopping (sorry im badly out of shape)
    OTHER GOALS: more firm and toned everywhere
    FUN FACT: I hate to cook but i love the smile of my fiances face everytime i do....:heart:

Im so excited about this.....finally some motivation!!! Good luck to everyone :smile: