girls: yasmin pill help

Options

Replies

• haylz24
    haylz24 Posts: 225
    Options
    Talk to your doctor. The hormone combination in Yaz might be too much for your body. There are so many options out there, there is probably something that they can recommend for you.

Thanks. I'll give it a go but will stop taking it if I get sick and ask for something else. I just don't want to gain weight when I'm trying so hard to lose it
  • haylz24
    Options
    Thanks everyone. I just don't want anything bad to happen to me. I do read side effects for every pill I take. I worry too much lol but I don't want to gain weight cause I'd come right off it.
  • TheMaidOfAstolat
    TheMaidOfAstolat Posts: 3,222 Member
    Options
    There are side effects with everything, lol. I personally went with Depo (the shot) and while I am spotting between periods its the only side effect so far. I can stand to gain a few pounds so I'm not worried about that aspect. Every birth control has some risks...it's all about choosing what's best for you and if something doesn't work quite right you try something else until it does work. Also, weight gain from birth control is minimal...if you excersize and eat right...you should not gain much. BC is not a crutch and many women use it as one.
  • Lyadeia
    Lyadeia Posts: 4,603 Member
    Options
    I am on Yaz and I have been since 2008. I have never noticed weight gain because of the pill. I have gained weight since taking it, but I have also eaten more, eaten :bad" foods, and exercised less. I know this and acknowledge this. I could have placed the blame on the pill, but that would have just been a lie. When I am concentrated on losing weight, I clean up my diet eating less foods and less fatty sugary ones, and I exercise more...and this has always lead to weight loss like usual.

The only issue I had with it was when I was taking it when I woke up I would get bad headaches. I switched to right before bedtime, and I don't have that issue anymore.
  • littleleisha
    littleleisha Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    I used to be on yaz but I gained a lot of weight and it also messed with my head and made me crazy, so my doctor took me off of it. now I use Reclipsen and it's the best pill I've ever taken!! good luck though, I hope it doesnt make you crazy!! :)
  • springtrio
    springtrio Posts: 429 Member
    Options
    My experience? I had a 4 month old and a late period...13 months after the birth of my first, my now 4 year old was born. LOL.
  • Picola1984
    Picola1984 Posts: 1,133
    Options
    I'm 9 days into starting Yasmin and so so worried its going to make me gain weight!

I got it to help my skin, and a change from Marvelon

My mood has been a total roller-coaster, but I think its settling now. Its also extended my period for the 9 days!

Hopefully things will soon smooth out
  • mallory3411
    mallory3411 Posts: 839 Member
    Options
    The pill doesn't cause you to just magically gain weight. You have to eat more or move less. They are hormones so they may make you feel hungry when you aren't.

I've been on a lot of pills and never experienced weight gain that wasn't the cause of MY ACTIONS.

Give your body time to get used to it. It usually takes 3-6 months to get an accurate look at how it will affect your body. Don't use it if you smoke (but that's the same with any birth control pill).
  • Picola1984
    Options
    But I thought the little pill pixies came and injected you with fat during the night?

What a let down :(
  • amuhlou
    amuhlou Posts: 693 Member
    Options
    Unfortunately my advice is to NOT TAKE IT. Like the above poster linked, there are a lot of lawsuits against this pill.

I took it for 1 or 2 years and am pretty sure it destroyed my gallbladder. While getting tested for stomach problems it was found that my gallbladder had completely stopped working. Another friend of mine had the same thing happen. Young women should not be getting gallbladder disease in such high numbers.

I didn't put the pieces together until I had a coworker who had severe adrenal problems because of the same pill. Thankfully she caught it in time to where the damage was reversible but her kidneys and liver were in very rough shape.

I personally have stopped taking all hormonal b/c methods, but would at the very least advise every lady to avoid any b/c pill with the hormone DRSP in it. (Yasmin and Yaz have it, to name a couple).
  • Whinchat
    Whinchat Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    I was on it for a while in my early 20s. Didn't put on any weight but did start freaking out when I started producing breastmilk.... apparently a rare side effect. Yasmin didn't help with my depression either (made it worse) :-/

However, my acne cleared up :-p
  • Jellyphant
    Jellyphant Posts: 1,400 Member
    Options
    I too was on Yaz for a little bit, but had to quite because it gave me monthly hormonal migraines. VERY dibilitating to be throwing up and curling in a ball in your car at work :[. But as for the weightgain, I saw no change that wasn't my own responsibility. Those chocolate cravings are killer.D: Loloestrin is bomb.com, though. Very happy with it. :)
  • Picola1984
    Options
    God damn

Well, I've started now. I may as well see for myself after the initial 3 months!
  • haylz24
    Options
    I came off it in the end.made me too sick and was sad a lot. Cerazette is so much better.. Been on it nearly 4 months now. No weight gain, spots anew no periods haha
  • Picola1984
    Options
    Well my skins clearing already so I'm happy. However I'm more than half the way through the pack and still kind of on my period (sorry to be a bit gross)

My whole body is just f**ked at the moment!
  • calliope_music
    calliope_music Posts: 1,242 Member
    Options
    it's important to remember Yaz and Yasmin are two different pills!

Yasmin has always worked for me...never gained any weight, retained water, etc. it's the only one i will take!
  • haylz24
    Options
    Well my skins clearing already so I'm happy. However I'm more than half the way through the pack and still kind of on my period (sorry to be a bit gross)

My whole body is just f**ked at the moment!

The only good thing about that pill is having clear skin! Your body will settle soon. Go on my one. Love having no periods!
  • KareninCanada
    KareninCanada Posts: 834 Member
    Options
    it's important to remember Yaz and Yasmin are two different pills

Yaz = Yasmin . Same drug, just a different dose. They're both part of the class-action lawsuits.
  • amuhlou
    amuhlou Posts: 693 Member
    Options
    it's important to remember Yaz and Yasmin are two different pills

Yaz = Yasmin . Same drug, just a different dose. They're both part of the class-action lawsuits.

More specifically, both have 'DRSP' in it as their progestin hormone. It's a newer type of progestin that is under fire recently. Ocella is a generic form so Yaz = Yasmin = Ocella.