Oatmeal tastes like cardboard

Options
13»

Replies

• 27strange
    27strange Posts: 837 Member
    Options
    I like to thaw frozen fruit and put it in my plain instant oatmeal. A berry medley or some frozen half-thawed peaches go a long way to make a bowl of instant oatmeal enjoyable.
  • crzyone
    crzyone Posts: 872 Member
    Options
    I love oatmeal!!! I grew up eating it but we never ate it with milk or sweet. We ate it with crumbled up bacon!! I love to put cheese in mine!!! No sugar!! As long as it has a little bit of salt in it, I can eat it!!

I have been getting my oats the uncooked way. Usually for a nighttime snack I have two tablespoons of peanut butter, a tad of low cal syrup or jelly, and as many oats as I can mix it. It makes something similar to granola. This was a Weight Watchers recipe from long ago. It's pretty tasty!!
  • joanneeee
    joanneeee Posts: 311 Member
    Options
    well that's because oatmeal is made from the finest 100% organic cardboard.
  • calderst
    calderst Posts: 222 Member
    Options
    I recently discovered that if you add a tsp of Nutella to the old-fashioned unflavored kind, it ends up tasting like a warm & gooey no-bake cookie.
  • taso42_DELETED
    taso42_DELETED Posts: 3,394 Member
    Options
    Posting again because I just ate this for the 2nd night in a row:

1/2 cup quick oats (dry measure)
    2 tbsp natural peanut butter
    1/2 banana (85g)
    1 scoop (32g) of ON Natural chocolate whey

Deeeeeeelicious! Heck, with all the other goodies in there, it would probably still taste good if the oats were replaced with cardboard, but I reckon the oats are a probably a little bit more nutritious.
  • Dave351
    Dave351 Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    Steel cut oats rock! But if you don't cook em long enough it's like chewing on gravel!
  • Mmmary212
    Mmmary212 Posts: 410 Member
    Options
    Oatmeal with peanut butter, sugar free vanilla torani syrup and coconut oil. SO good!
  • porffor
    porffor Posts: 1,212 Member
    Options
    definate trend here.. we add things! :)
    Some great tips too I love the idea of chopping apple into it before cooking.. yum! :)

Occasionally I'll pop in some choc spread but not often but it is lovely chocolatey! lol
  • avarielle1215
    avarielle1215 Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    I am really a fan of the Better Oats/Mom's Best Instant Oatmeals. They are all natural ingredients, have flaxseed in them, are fairly cheap, and come in a TON of flavors. Maybe start there?
  • charsauce
    Options
    a teaspoon of cinnamon and 1-2 packets of TRUVIA! it is DELICIOUS and doesn't have a gross aftertaste like Splenda or other artificial sweeteners! (what I do most of the time.) other suggestions...
    Banana slices
    Raisins
    Strawberry slices
    Pumpkin pie spice!
    Nutmeg
    Peanut butter
    Almonds. mmmm

Oatmeal is just loaded with protein and fiber which is super filling! I eat it after working out sometimes with a tablespoon of peanut butter or a half of a large banana cup up.
  • outersoul
    outersoul Posts: 711
    Options
    For a 1/2 cup of oats, I add 2 TBSP of natural peanut butter and 2 tsp of sugar. That's right, sugar! It's my dirty little secret. But it's pretty much the only added sugar I have all day.

Sometimes I do a banana instead of the sugar - even better.

Peanut butter and oats though.. try it. They were meant to be together!

This. Two Splenda and 2 TBSP of peanut butter in my oatmeal please. It's my breakfast 5 days a week.
  • CaptainMFP
    CaptainMFP Posts: 440 Member
    Options
    I'll add 2 tsp. of honey or 2 tsp. of brown sugar to sweeten it; fruit -- especially fresh fruit like berries, bananas, and peaches -- works really well too.

I eat oatmeal several days a week, and while I'm not fond of plain oatmeal, I've not had cardboard. I'm thinking it tastes better than it sounds if it's like plain oatmeal! :laugh:
  • proats
    proats Posts: 35 Member
    Options

^This x 100!

But if you don't like Oatmeal, don't eat it. Its not some "magic food". There is no such thing.