University/College

Options

Replies

• andreacord
    andreacord Posts: 928
    Options
    I think a recipe swap would be awesome!

And maybe set a weekly challenge like burn a set amount of calories or something, or log a certain number of miles walking/running/biking, or how many crunches we can do weekly. just an idea
  • porffor
    porffor Posts: 1,212 Member
    Options
    Hi! I'm a (very) mature student at 39 but start Uni in Sept. I have been in college for just over 2 years (and had a baby in this time too). :)
    So, my weight blossomed with my pregnancy (damn my thinking I was having a big baby). I have shifted all but 7lb of my pregnancy weight and have hit a bit of a stall over the holidays.

I started a thread in the food section on lunch boxes as I've been relying on slim fast bars at college but I have a longer commute for Uni and will be doing nursing placements too so working shifts etc and want to keep losing.

Would be great to have a group of us that are all studying and losing too.
  • crazymel
    crazymel Posts: 24
    Options
    I am so in!! My last year of college (UK) and I'm not going to go back into my old habits. This summer I've been working really hard. Thank God I'm not the only one who feels this way!
  • pandora2010
    Options
    School starts up in three weeks!! would love it if this could help me out! :D
  • andforpoise
    Options
    So weekly challenge and a recipe swap! What kinds of challenges has everyone participated in? What has worked/what hasn't?
  • cmg2008
    cmg2008 Posts: 139
    Options
    love this idea .. i start grad school up on the 22nd =/
  • portexploit
    portexploit Posts: 378 Member
    Options
    I am also a student. I am down for this idea. I just don't get the excuse "I am too busy to eat right and exercise." This should be everyone's number 1 priority. How you feel emotionally and physically will determine your success in school.
  • porffor
    porffor Posts: 1,212 Member
    Options
    When it comes to exercise this will be my first year with a fit horse who needs me to keep both myself and him riding fit :) We ride out properly for up to 3 hours and I school him for faster shorter bursts on days when I'm pushed for time.
    My issue is that we don't have lights where I ride, so night time riding is a bit dodgy. So, with a bit of juggling and time on my 'study day' for riding I'll have something to release me from my studies for a bit! lol

Am looking forward to uni.

I started a lunchbox thread on the food board if you fancy a look at it, there are lots of ideas in there for packed lunches that aren't packed with calories or bad things! :) I've not been great with lunches in the past and relyed on meal replacement bars to be 'good'.

What are your tactics for lunches and snacks? Do you take your own?
  • LittleMissAlx
    LittleMissAlx Posts: 291 Member
    Options
    I'm in also. Go back to uni Sept 20th (ish) (4th year vet student, so pretty busy!), and am really worried I'll do what I did last year - go to the gym for the first couple of weeks, then not be seen back there until March! Apart from all the snacks I used to have between lectures - must do better!

I'm not going to be so good on the recipe front because I'm a picky eater and tend to eat the same things over and over and over lol. Mostly packaged food because I'm equally a terrible cook (must work on this at some point!)! But would love to participate in the challenges, and just know that I'd have to report back here and update you guys on how well/much I did each week might encourage me to keep going to the gym.
  • BlueSkiesAhead
    Options
    This is a great idea! I move in next Tuesday, the 16th. It's going to be a real life change. But I know I will get a decent bit of walking in with such a large campus! :-)
  • karoumee
    karoumee Posts: 100
    Options
    im in!!!!!!
    back to uni in september and i dont want to gain any more weight..i still havent been able to lose the weight ive gained during exam period in may/june!!
  • This is such an awesome idea :) it's so hard to stay motivated during the school year when you have a lot of stuff going on but I think that this challenge thing would be great!
  • brittanyscherich
    brittanyscherich Posts: 355 Member
    Options
    Would love to join! feel free to add me. I'm starting college Aug. 29th.
  • KeaganJ
    KeaganJ Posts: 9
    Options
    This is a great idea!!!! I am so nervous to go back to school because i know that most of my focus will go to my classes!!!! But i need to stay strong, so this will most definitely help!!!! If there is a group made let me know, i'm so in!
  • mom22kiddos
    mom22kiddos Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    Im excited to get started!! Do we know what are first challenge is going to be?
  • andforpoise
    Options
    So I was thinking about this some more today and I thought of a couple ideas - feel free to tell me what you think:

1. Weekly weigh in challenge (I am doing an August group challenge with another group right now, and we weigh in every Friday, I think Fridays are good weigh in days, what does everyone else think?)
    2. Split into teams (seems theres a fairly large response) and start a points system (ie every pound at weigh in each person loses = a certain amount of points for that team; each time you pack your own lunch - as opposed to cafeteria food - equals a certain amount of points (unless you're in residence and have a meal plan, in that case...points for healthy meals chosen?; everyone 100 cal burned could be another set of points - these are just ideas that are popping into my head!)
    3. I also think we should share (if you want to) a fitness goal and an academic/school related goal (I just thought of this because I've been working a lot on goal setting in different areas and since its the school year, we all are bound to have goals, and what better way to keep them in sight than to share them?)
    4. The recipe swap

Tell me what you guys think?
  • andreacord
    andreacord Posts: 928
    Options
    Sounds awesome. I'm in. =)
  • kiwilan
    kiwilan Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    I start University (UK) next month! I move in on the 17th luckily I'm in self catered so I can cook my own things!
    :)
  • LittleMissAlx
    LittleMissAlx Posts: 291 Member
    Options
    With regards to the weigh in, I'm on maintenance calories now so would like to stay within a certain range. Do people like me get points if we don't go over the range or something like that?
  • musicalshadow00
    musicalshadow00 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    All these ideas sound great! I really like the idea of a challenge with teams :)