daily versus every other day running

godblessourhome
godblessourhome Posts: 3,892 Member
i have been running every other day since starting to couch to 5k program 27 months ago (haha! originally i wrote 15 months... i knew i started in may but i forgot which year. lol. has it really been that long?). i have recently started trying to run everyday and i just don't have the endurance or speed i used to have with the recovery day in between runs. i may be trying to run too many miles.

how did you start running daily? did you increase your mileage or keep the same mileage broken up to accommodate daily runs?

i will add that i think i am a short distance runner. i have never run more than 9 miles, and i really prefer a 3 or 4 mile run. i did train for a 15k (but then i had surgery and didn't get to participate) and have downloaded hal higdon's half-marathon training schedule so i know what it looks like, although i am not following it (it is an every other day method too).

*edit: i don't really want advice to not run everyday unless you are an experienced runner (i.e. have been running for at least a decade or currently running many more miles than i do) or a doctor. thanks!

Replies

• keith0373
    keith0373 Posts: 2,154 Member
    Just like when you started couch to 5k, switching to an every day schedule requires adjustment. I too, tend to run a bit slower when I run every day, but after a couple of rest days, I can run much faster than I used to be able to. My speed has picked up as I have become accustomed to running every day, and the calorie burns are great!
  • bigdawg025
    bigdawg025 Posts: 774 Member
    I would still not suggest running every day. Back to back... sometimes even 3 in a row are ok at times, but your body will ALWAYS need some recovery time in there. I find I run much better after a day or two off.
  • datzun
    datzun Posts: 198
    I run 5 days a week. My current schedule is setup like so (distances continue to change as I improve my times):

Mon - 3.5 mile, steady pace, outside, 30 mins.
    Tues - 3.5 mile, mix between high intensity (sprints) and a slower pace, treadmill, 30 mins.
    Wed - no running (a little strength training)
    Thurs - 3.5 mile, mix between high intensity (sprints) and a slower pace, treadmill, 30 mins.
    Fri - 3.5 mile, steady pace, outside, 30 mins.
    Sat - no running (a little strength training)
    Sun - 5.75-6 miles, steady pace, outside, 50 mins.

Basically, if you push yourself on a run one day, the next day if you do run, either cut back your pace or try a different type of running (sprints, high intensity, etc.). Running the same pace, same routine, same path, etc. everyday isn't the best thing (for me at least). Keep the body guessing, but also don't overdo it. I know if I bust my tail doing a run one day, the next day I need to switch it up or cut back on my pace.
  • sarahtiano
    sarahtiano Posts: 78 Member
    I am not an expert on running, but from personal experience and from what I've read, it is really not good for you to run everyday. Running is really hard on your joints, and that day of rest is really important.
  • godblessourhome
    I am not an expert on running, but from personal experience and from what I've read, it is really not good for you to run everyday. Running is really hard on your joints, and that day of rest is really important.

sorry, i don't really buy it. i know ultra marathoners (50-100 miles in one go) who run daily or at least 5 days a week who have been running for 20-40 years and their joints are just fine. i think you can hurt yourself if you run incorrectly or increase mileage to quickly, but running itself is not bad for you, nor is running daily. thanks for caring though!
  • godblessourhome
    Just like when you started couch to 5k, switching to an every day schedule requires adjustment. I too, tend to run a bit slower when I run every day, but after a couple of rest days, I can run much faster than I used to be able to. My speed has picked up as I have become accustomed to running every day, and the calorie burns are great!

thanks keith! maybe i will cut back to 2 miles a day until i get used to the change. :)
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    I'm no running expert, but I used to run 3 miles every day that weather permitted (no lightening or pouring rain and temps above 25 deg F, was my rule). I never tried for more because I was short on time and this kept me at the size I wanted to be. I just worked up to a little at a time. I think it took about a month to get to 3 miles, but it's been more than 10 years so maybe a little more or less.
  • rybo
    rybo Posts: 5,424 Member
    I see no issues with running every day or almost every day. You just have to pay attention. You can't expect to go for a hard run every day. But consectutive days where you throw in an easy or short run shouldn't be that big a deal. And the more you keep at it, the easier it will become running more often.

For math simplicity say you wanted to go from running 3x week @ 4 miles to 6x a week, I would probably keep those runs a little shorter 2-3 miles, until you were comfortable running that often, then build up the individual miles at a time. And you could also vary the mileage each day, some short, some longer.
  • godblessourhome
    I see no issues with running every day or almost every day. You just have to pay attention. You can't expect to go for a hard run every day. But consectutive days where you throw in an easy or short run shouldn't be that big a deal. And the more you keep at it, the easier it will become running more often.

For math simplicity say you wanted to go from running 3x week @ 4 miles to 6x a week, I would probably keep those runs a little shorter 2-3 miles, until you were comfortable running that often, then build up the individual miles at a time. And you could also vary the mileage each day, some short, some longer.

thanks! that is really helpful advice!
  • BerryH
    BerryH Posts: 4,698 Member
    If you run every day, you have to be fit enough to use at least two of your running days as "active rest", i.e. you're just ticking over and not straining either your cardiovascular system or your legs. Ensure each session has a purpose, for example:

Sunday: Long, slow run (gradually increasing to your target distance)
    Monday: Active rest - 30 mins at a pace you can talk
    Tuesday: Intervals
    Wednesday: Middle distance - at least half your Sunday distance at a slightly faster pace
    Thursday: Tempo run (race pace)
    Friday: Hill repeats
    Saturday: Active rest - 30 mins at a pace you can talk

Personally I'd still recommend you swap one out for alternative active rest, though, such as swimming, just to ensure you're exercising all your muscles and letting your running muscles grow and repair. Don't forget to strength train and stretch to protect your joints.
  • bunchesonothing
    bunchesonothing Posts: 1,015 Member
    I would still not suggest running every day. Back to back... sometimes even 3 in a row are ok at times, but your body will ALWAYS need some recovery time in there. I find I run much better after a day or two off.

Agreed!!

I've been running marathons/ultras since 2006. I recommend rest days.

I run 5 days a week. Right now, I am up to over 40 miles a week. My long run this week will be 19 miles.
  • keith0373
    Here is a compy of my HR data for the month so far. I haven't had any real problems and this is my 2nd week of running every weekday. The weekends are always a disaster with tyring to keep up with 4 teenagers.

2011-0801-0809.jpg

Direct link if you want to see more data.

http://i833.photobucket.com/albums/zz258/keith0373/MFP/2011-0801-0809.jpg
  • lucky1304
    lucky1304 Posts: 57 Member
    I currently run five days a week. I think even six days a week would be okay, but I do tend to agree that everybody needs at least one rest day a week. From what I've read (and I read a lot of running-related stuff), your body does a lot with the rest day in terms of muscle recovery, etc. Of course, a lot depends, too, on what sort of mileage you're trying to cover from day to day. I have a friend that has decided to run every day of the summer, and she is keeping the runs short (two to three miles at a pop) and has had no problems.

I am tending to run two days on, one day off. But I'm also in the midst of half-marathon training, so I'll always have one long run day in there. It's working for me. Lately my goal has been not to go two days in a row without running. The more I run, the less I want to take rest days, but I think there is good reason for them, especially when you're covering high mileage.

I tend to agree with other posters that if you do want to run every day, some runs will just be naturally slower than others.
  • bunchesonothing
    I know one person who runs every day. He is a beast. :P It works for him.

BUT, the less rest you get, the more you are upping your chance of injury.

One of my friends decided to slowly up his daily mileage, but with no rest days. He got to the point he was running about 6 or 7 miles a day, every day... I told him that this was probably not a good idea. I told him that he could actually build his endurance greater, and perform better, if he varied his runs and got a rest day in every now and again. This particular man, ended up getting very hurt.,.. to the point he had to take MONTHS off of running.

If you decide to do this tread lightly and make sure you are COMPLETELY in tune with your body. Too many people get stuck on a plan and plow through it no matter how they feel.
  • bunchesonothing
    Here is a compy of my HR data for the month so far. I haven't had any real problems and this is my 2nd week of running every weekday. The weekends are always a disaster with tyring to keep up with 4 teenagers.

2011-0801-0809.jpg

No offense, but overtraining does not show up after two weeks. After a few months of no rest days, if you showed no performance issues or injuries, then you might know that it was okay for you.
  • Qarol
    Qarol Posts: 6,171 Member
    OK, I can more easily defend NOT running every day. But since you wanted advice on how to run every day, how about staggering it until you've built up enough stamina? Just like when someone starts out, they don't advise exercising every day, how about running 2 days in a row, then one day off, for however long it takes to feel comfortable. Then 3 days in a row, with one day off. And so forth. Until you can go 7 days in a row. Jumping into doing it every day is obviously not the right method for you. Try increasing it gradually until you can do it every day with enough stamina.
  • I have done several 5k's but only one so far this year. I might do 2 more this year. I had a goal of doing one a month in late spring to fall. I live in MI so I have a short running season to run outside. I have changed things up with more walking. I walk 6 days a week at least a 15 min/mile sometimes faster but average 13 min mile. I walk at least 30 miles a week, that is an average. I run on occasion. You might be doing to much and risk injury. The walking has sped up my running, weird huh? For instance, today I ran a 7:55 min/mile. I thought Monday was my fastest ever 9 min/mile. I just have relaxed and it has just happened. YOu can do it!! Kudos for you!! Thumbs up for your accomplishments.
  • keith0373

2011-0801-0809.jpg

No offense, but overtraining does not show up after two weeks. After a few months of no rest days, if you showed no performance issues or injuries, then you might know that it was okay for you.

I have been running for over a year and slowly increasing to every day running. My milage is still about the same, but I am doing more, shorter distance runs and working my way up to the 7- 10 mile runs that i used to do :) I would like to get to the point that I am doing about 35 miles worth a week. Right now I am between 20 and 30, depending on my schedule.
  • bunchesonothing
    And this is all I will say unless I want to respond to a specific post.

Rest days do multiple things, some obvious, some not so obvious, especially to those(and I'm sorry, I don't mean to offend, but I'm trying to be honest here) might not realize what a heavy training load can do to you. mind, body and spirit. And if you haven't gotten past a 15k distance, you probably don't YET.

1) a)allow for bodily rest
    b) helps prevent overtraining
    2) a) keeps things from getting stagnant
    b) keeps your mind fresh and excited for your next run

There are VERY FEW runners that will advocate for an EVERY DAY running schedule.

Here is what runnersworld says:
    http://www.runnersworld.com/article/0,7120,s6-238-267--13104-0,00.html

It does give you a guideline if you really want to run every day.
  • bunchesonothing

2011-0801-0809.jpg

I have been running for over a year and slowly increasing to every day running. My milage is still about the same, but I am doing more, shorter distance runs and working my way up to the 7- 10 mile runs that i used to do :) I would like to get to the point that I am doing about 35 miles worth a week. Right now I am between 20 and 30, depending on my schedule.

I was responding to the point that you said that you have shown no ill effects after training all of the weekdays for 2 weeks. 2 weeks isn't long enough to show ill effects, unless you were on the edge of overtraining to begin with.
This discussion has been closed.