daily versus every other day running

2»

Replies

• fteale
    fteale Posts: 5,310 Member
    I run every other day, but do some exercise 6 days a week (I do resistance band aerobics and boot camps which involve weights and sprints) on my non running days. I run 7 to 11 km per run. My longest run so far was 17 km, and I am hoping to do a half marathon soon.

I know I couldn't run every day, but I know some people do. I read an interview in Women's running magazine with a woman in her 50s who runs ultra marathons, and does a 10k every lunch time in her lunch break. That would knacker my knees. I think the key is to have a really good running style. Any misalignment or tension is going to cause problems if you don't allow yourself rests.

There is also the matter of lactic threshold and muscle damage. I assume you have a HRM. Does it do training effects? I tend to hit a TA 4.6 to 4.9 on my runs, which means I really should take a rest day, or gentle day after to allow my body to deal with the muscle damage and lactic acid build up. If your daily runs give you a TA of between 3 and 4, there is no reason not to run every day. Level 5 is a race, or running at race intensity, and you should have a day or 2 of rest or gentle exercise after that.
  • arc918
    arc918 Posts: 2,037 Member
    I run 6-7 day a week, but I've been logging 2,000+ miles per year for the last 6 or 7 years.

When I first started running, I followed all sorts of rules of thumb (don't run two days in a row, etc.). Eventually I "got to know myself as runner." Now I rest as needed. I recover from hard runs with easy runs.

Bottom line, start by adding in a couple extra easy days. Listen to your body and rest when you need to rest.

I think people get way to hung up on following training plans and schedule too carefully. They are guidelines, not gospel.

Anyway, add in some extra days and see how it goes. But run EASY.
  • keith0373
    keith0373 Posts: 2,154 Member
    And this is all I will say unless I want to respond to a specific post.

Rest days do multiple things, some obvious, some not so obvious, especially to those(and I'm sorry, I don't mean to offend, but I'm trying to be honest here) might not realize what a heavy training load can do to you. mind, body and spirit. And if you haven't gotten past a 15k distance, you probably don't YET.

1) a)allow for bodily rest
    b) helps prevent overtraining
    2) a) keeps things from getting stagnant
    b) keeps your mind fresh and excited for your next run

There are VERY FEW runners that will advocate for an EVERY DAY running schedule.

Here is what runnersworld says:
    http://www.runnersworld.com/article/0,7120,s6-238-267--13104-0,00.html

It does give you a guideline if you really want to run every day.

Good article. This is about the plan I follow. I do sometimes replace runs with elliptical work or hiking with my wife on Saturdays. My day "off" usually involves a game of soccer, which is a whole different level of exercise than distance running.

Bunchesonothing we are training for different things. You are an ultra distance runner, something I will never be. I run mostly 5k's and 10k's at a significantly faster pace and I am more worried about outsprinting the teenagers on the soccer field than any race time :)
  • runningathena
    runningathena Posts: 218 Member
    And this is all I will say unless I want to respond to a specific post.

Rest days do multiple things, some obvious, some not so obvious, especially to those(and I'm sorry, I don't mean to offend, but I'm trying to be honest here) might not realize what a heavy training load can do to you. mind, body and spirit. And if you haven't gotten past a 15k distance, you probably don't YET.

1) a)allow for bodily rest
    b) helps prevent overtraining
    2) a) keeps things from getting stagnant
    b) keeps your mind fresh and excited for your next run

There are VERY FEW runners that will advocate for an EVERY DAY running schedule.

I agree with this. I'm a certified distance running coach, so I feel like I can speak somewhat intelligently on this... rest days are very important. I know someone who not only runs every day, but often TWICE in a day. Lately he's been mentioning knee pains and other aches. Does he take a rest? No, he keeps running. Not a wise idea - I predict he'll be injured within 3-6 months at this rate. We're not all Dean Karnazes - if something hurts, REST. It's really a simple concept. Don't run hard every day; alternate hard and easy days. I run 4 days a week and I'm training for my second marathon. Marathon training is its own beast (I can't speak about ultra training, I am sure it has its own set of difficulties). It becomes very difficult, mentally, to stick with it. I'm in a major slump right now in Week 10 (8 weeks to go). Everyone goes through some kind of slump or another, and this is where rest days can really help bring you back.

There are so many other activities out there that you can do if you're not running - spin classes, swimming, aerobics, Zumba, strength training, cycling outdoors, roller skating, you name it! Broaden your horizons and cross-train. It really does help with running. Sure, the calorie burn is great with running but you can still get a fantastic workout with other activities (and rest those muscles a bit so your next run is amazing).

Best of luck :)
  • godblessourhome
    godblessourhome Posts: 3,892 Member
    i think some people have gotten the wrong idea about me - saying i 'obviously' wasn't ready to move up to daily running, or implying i was slow [i can run a 6:30 mile for 4 miles, can you?] or implying i don't cross-train [i bike, i swim, i rollerblade, i do a resistance exercise video 4-5 days a week, i have started doing 100 push-ups] or thinking that i am dogmatic about running every-single-day-no-matter-what.

i am not extreme. if my knees or it band hurts, i won't run. if i want a break, i won't run. if something comes up schedule-wise, i won't run. i am not stuck on a 'schedule' and that is what i like about being able to run daily. if i want to run, i can and if i don't, i won't. i just want advice on how to make getting started feel easier. it sounds like keeping my miles low is the way to go. i really don't mind doing that (as i said, i am a short distance runner).

my run this morning was 3 miles in 29 minutes. my run yesterday was 3 miles 22:30. that's what i was talking about when i was complaining about endurance and speed.

*edited for a million typos.
  • godblessourhome

thanks for the article.
  • godblessourhome
    I have a friend that has decided to run every day of the summer, and she is keeping the runs short (two to three miles at a pop) and has had no problems.

sounds a lot like my goal. thanks for sharing!
  • fteale
    fteale Posts: 5,310 Member
    You are very small and light, which will give you an advantage over large men when it comes to running every day, as you will have less pressure on your joints.

I assume you have had a look at some half marathon training programs. Most of them assume you will be running 5 days a week, and doing one day of cross training (or cycling). That might be a good place to start for a sensible daily training program.
  • bunchesonothing
    bunchesonothing Posts: 1,015 Member
    i think some people have gotten the wrong idea about me - saying i 'obviously' wasn't ready to move up to daily running, or implying i was slow [i can run a 6:30 mile for 4 miles, can you?] or implying i don't cross-train [i bike, i swim, i rollerblade, i do a resistance exercise video 4-5 days a week, i have started doing 100 push-ups] or thinking that i am dogmatic about running every-single-day-n-matter-what.

i am not extreme. if my knees or it band hurts, i won't run. if i want a break, i won't run. if something comes up schedule-wise, i won't run. i am not stuck on a 'schedule' and that is what i like about being able to run daily. if i want to run, i can and if i don't, i won't. i just want advice on how to make getting started feel easier. it sounds like keeping my miles low is the way to go. i really don't mind doing that (as i said, i am a short distance runner).

my run this morning was 3 miles in 29 minutes. my run yesterday was 3 miles 22:30. my run the day before was that's what i was talking about when i was complaining about endurance and speed.

Maybe I missed the post(s?) but I didn't read that anyone said you were slow or that you obviously weren't ready. I know I said that you probably don't know what it's like YET to bang hard on your body and what the strain can get to. And if you haven't experienced it yet, you have to admit, you don't know yet. Well, you don't have to admit it, but, if you don't want to... well... oh well.

Just because someone advises something, doesn't mean that they know you don't do it or do, do it.

It means they know a lot of other people don't or do things they should or should probably not do. Since they(on the forums) don't know you from Pete, they throw it in there.

Please don't be offended by simple, and well-meaning advice.
  • godblessourhome
    I run 6-7 day a week, but I've been logging 2,000+ miles per year for the last 6 or 7 years.

When I first started running, I followed all sorts of rules of thumb (don't run two days in a row, etc.). Eventually I "got to know myself as runner." Now I rest as needed. I recover from hard runs with easy runs.

Bottom line, start by adding in a couple extra easy days. Listen to your body and rest when you need to rest.

I think people get way to hung up on following training plans and schedule too carefully. They are guidelines, not gospel.

Anyway, add in some extra days and see how it goes. But run EASY.

thanks! and super wow on the 2000+ miles per year!
  • juscallmeb
    juscallmeb Posts: 369 Member
    since you noticed more time on your run this morning compared to yesterday, then cut your miles down. -maybe do 2.5 or just 2. also you said you like short distances, so if you do 3 one day, do 2 the next and see how you feel the third day and if you need a rest, take it. definitely see how your body reacts to running a few days in a row.

I know there are some days where I feel like i can run forever, and the days when I do shorter runs, i make myself run faster.
    however, when i trained for my half marathon - when i got up to 11 miles - i did rest the next day. my legs didnt want to really run - whether it was 1 mile or 2.

either way I hope what you decide works for you. :) good luck and let us know how things work out.
  • godblessourhome
    Maybe I missed the post(s?) but I didn't read that anyone said you were slow or that you obviously weren't ready. I know I said that you probably don't know what it's like YET to bang hard on your body and what the strain can get to. And if you haven't experienced it yet, you have to admit, you don't know yet. Well, you don't have to admit it, but, if you don't want to... well... oh well.

Just because someone advises something, doesn't mean that they know you don't do it or do, do it.

It means they know a lot of other people don't or do things they should or should probably not do. Since they(on the forums) don't know you from Pete, they throw it in there.

Please don't be offended by simple, and well-meaning advice.

i'm not offended, i was clarifying that i'm not just some silly unfit girl who doesn't know how to cross-train. you may have missed the post referring to the running everyday was 'obviously' not working for me. thanks again for your advice.
  • godblessourhome
    since you noticed more time on your run this morning compared to yesterday, then cut your miles down. -maybe do 2.5 or just 2. also you said you like short distances, so if you do 3 one day, do 2 the next and see how you feel the third day and if you need a rest, take it. definitely see how your body reacts to running a few days in a row.

I know there are some days where I feel like i can run forever, and the days when I do shorter runs, i make myself run faster.
    however, when i trained for my half marathon - when i got up to 11 miles - i did rest the next day. my legs didnt want to really run - whether it was 1 mile or 2.

either way I hope what you decide works for you. :) good luck and let us know how things work out.

thank you! this is really sensible and something i will definitely try.
  • godblessourhome
    You are very small and light, which will give you an advantage over large men when it comes to running every day, as you will have less pressure on your joints.

I assume you have had a look at some half marathon training programs. Most of them assume you will be running 5 days a week, and doing one day of cross training (or cycling). That might be a good place to start for a sensible daily training program.

thanks. good place to start. i have taken a look at some but the ones i saw only run 3 days a week and crosstrain 2 times and 2 rest days. i will google some others.
  • lucky1304
    lucky1304 Posts: 57 Member

my run this morning was 3 miles in 29 minutes. my run yesterday was 3 miles 22:30. that's what i was talking about when i was complaining about endurance and speed.

Here's a question: Do you run with an HRM? I recently started wearing the HRM with my Garmin (mostly so I can make sure I'm recording an accurate calorie burn here). I ran on a Monday and had a great run, good, steady pace. The next day I went for another run--same distance. But my pace was WAY off what I was running on Monday. However, I noticed that my HR was the same as it had been on Monday. That made me think that something else was off with me (just not feeling it that day, too humid, too hot, etc.) because my body was doing the same amount of work (heartwise) but not getting the same results. Does that make sense? I'm not sure how sound this theory is in practice, but my dad always says that he wears his HRM so he can tell whether or not he's "dogging" it or actually giving his best effort.

This has proven interesting to me because I can run at a faster pace without elevating my heart rate by much, which makes me think I should really just be running at that faster pace all the time.
  • You are forgetting a few points here in your argument..One, not everyone is genetically gifted to run everyday. Two, Some people weigh more then your average 110 pounds. Marathon runners are skinny and usually do not have a lot of muscle in comparison to say a sprinter. If everyone was that skinny, then yea your joints can probably hold up..But if you are 220+ pounds, you can put stress on your joints. I think you are looking from a skinny person perspective. ;)
  • I am not an expert on running, but from personal experience and from what I've read, it is really not good for you to run everyday. Running is really hard on your joints, and that day of rest is really important.

sorry, i don't really buy it. i know ultra marathoners (50-100 miles in one go) who run daily or at least 5 days a week who have been running for 20-40 years and their joints are just fine. i think you can hurt yourself if you run incorrectly or increase mileage to quickly, but running itself is not bad for you, nor is running daily. thanks for caring though!

You are forgetting a few points here in your argument..One, not everyone is genetically gifted to run everyday. Two, Some people weigh more then your average 110 pounds. Marathon runners are skinny and usually do not have a lot of muscle in comparison to say a sprinter. If everyone was that skinny, then yea your joints can probably hold up..But if you are 220+ pounds, you can put stress on your joints. I think you are looking from a skinny person perspective. ;)
  • maybeazure
    maybeazure Posts: 301 Member
    I was kind of like you. I didn't want advice not to run every day either...until I got injured. Now I can't run at all. I learn best from experience. Probably you do too.
This discussion has been closed.