Stay-At-Home Moms 12/1-12/7

Options

Replies

• loreeb18
    loreeb18 Posts: 1,221 Member
    Options
    My question: how many cals are you suppose to eat while preggo? I was thinking about keeping mine around 1400 (my BMR) for a few weeks so I won't gain too much, then upping it as I get closer or go into the second tri. Thanks!
    MM

When I was pregnant, I read different places anywhere from 300 to 800 extra calories a day.
  • Lyn_Matthews
    Lyn_Matthews Posts: 902 Member
    Options
    Good morning ladies.

Lori- just a thought....wouldn't it be easier to take a paci away then have to find a way to keep her thumb out of her mouth?? I only say this cuz I'm having the same problem right now. Now that we've gotten her to take it I think "what have I done??" But I'd rather have her on a pacifier than have her be a thumb sucker. When I took my sons pacifier away at 2 yrs old it only took him about 3 days to get over it. Granted it was a long 3 days but much easier I think than breaking a thumb sucker.

MM-I would think its okay to go to your sons appointment as long as you don't drive and it doesn't cause you any stress. I said ANY stress. And as for calories...this is what Mayo Clinic website says:

"In the first trimester, most women don't need to gain much weight — which is good news if you're struggling with morning sickness.

If you start out at a healthy weight, you need to gain only a few pounds in the first few months of pregnancy. You can do this with an extra 150 to 200 calories a day, about the amount in 12 ounces of calcium-fortified orange juice or a serving of low-fat yogurt. A normal appetite will typically provide these calories.

Steady weight gain is more important in the second and third trimesters — especially if you start out at a healthy weight or you're underweight. This often means 3 to 4 pounds a month until delivery. An extra 300 calories a day might be enough to help you meet this goal. If you began your pregnancy underweight, your health care provider may suggest boosting your caloric intake more."

I also found this calculator-
    http://www.freedieting.com/tools/pregnancy_calorie_calculator.htm

Hope that helps.

Got most of my errands done yesterday so I think I'll get some laundry done today and maybe do some online shopping for Christmas. Hopefully the day will be nice again so I can get my 2 mile walk in again. I'm loving these lower 50 upper 40 degree weather we are having IN DECEMBER :smile:

Have a great day :flowerforyou:
  • mechanicmom
    mechanicmom Posts: 5,697 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the info ladies! :bigsmile:
  • LokiFae
    LokiFae Posts: 774 Member
    Options
    Hey ladies! Sorry I've been MIA. I always catch up too late on here!

D's mom - Awesome job on holiday weight!

Lori - Harley will get it. Darrell was hard to keep on a schedule, but I do have to say that he was an extremely easy baby and I don't really have any authority to give advice on the holding to go to sleep thing. He wasn't used to being held when we brought him home because we weren't allowed to hold him much when he was in the NICU and he still has a hard time falling asleep if there are people in the room. He has to be completely alone, with the door shut, before he'll even THINK about sleeping. So I don't have a lot of advice, other than just stick with it. You'll both figure out the schedule soon and all this will be a distant memory. :bigsmile:

MM - Congratulations! I'm so happy for you! As far as bedrest/calories per day goes, have you looked into babyfit.com? I was on there when I was pregnant (for a very short time a couple months ago) and my sister is using it now. It's like MFP, but for pregnant women. It calculates everything, and there's a forum with all kinds of pregnant women who might be going through the same thing. Don't leave us though!

Marla - I find that copious amounts of wine, chocolate, and romantic comedies make any hormonal situation better. :bigsmile:

Edit: OH! And Lori, the only pacifier Darrell would use were gumdrop pacis. He liked them because they were vanilla scented. I didn't know if you had tried them yet, but they introduced them to us in the hospital and he really liked them until I (mean old mommy that I am) took them away. http://store.nexternal.com/shared/StoreFront/default.asp?CS=hawaiimed&StoreType=BtoC&Count1=504909694&Count2=422050118
  • Marla64
    Marla64 Posts: 23,120 Member
    Options
    Thanks, Loki-- but copious amounts of wine, chocolate and romantic comedies will make me sleepy, fat and possibly pregnant again-- LOL.

I think I'll stick to the bloating, thanks. :wink:
  • mechanicmom
    Options
    Thanks, Loki-- but copious amounts of wine, chocolate and romantic comedies will make me sleepy, fat and possibly pregnant again-- LOL.

Ha ha ha ha ha! Rolling on the couch laughing! I needed that!:laugh:
  • LokiFae
    LokiFae Posts: 774 Member
    Options

You're a goofball. :smile:
  • 3babybeans
    3babybeans Posts: 8,268 Member
    Options
    Lori - EWWIE! No more doggie poos on the floor! Yuckies. I'm so proud of you for getting up & working out, though! Good for you! I'm even more proud of your cute little hubby for letting you take a shower & get ready so he could be on baby watch. That's just great that he's being so supportive!

Loki - Hey, chick! How's the working out on the weekends going? You crack me up with the chocolate wine & movie comment. Heck, sounds like a night to me!

MM - I hope Alex's appt. goes well & you just take it easy! If you go, sit as much as possible & do NOT carry him! And if I see you posting about pushups again, I will come to TX & duct tape you to your couch!!! That's right...I saw you! Wait for your doctor's clearance, lady!

Hey, Marla! I think I'd take bloating over pregnancy again, too. I'm quite finished with all that. Glad you're having fun Turbo Jamming!

I've had a productive day today & need to keep it rolling. Making & freezing Christmas goodies all day & now my kitchen looks like a nuclear bomb went off. So much for "help" from my kids. :wink: I did get in my workout & pushups so that's something. Plus, I got all my water in today, too & it is only 2:45! Yay!
  • mechanicmom
    Options
    MM - I hope Alex's appt. goes well & you just take it easy! If you go, sit as much as possible & do NOT carry him! And if I see you posting about pushups again, I will come to TX & duct tape you to your couch!!! That's right...I saw you! Wait for your doctor's clearance, lady!
    You promise? LOL

I have been contacting midwives today since that's the route we are thinking about going. Anyone else have a home birth? Three out of the eleven midwives I emailed have contacted me and ordered me to bed rest, yet a couple of them would like me to come to their office for a free consultation. I guess I'll just leave myself at home. :laugh: I am planning to go to my son's appointment. I will not pick him up and I will be sitting 95% of the time. A friend from church is bringing dinner! The house is a wreck though. How embarrassing!But at least I don't have to worry about dinner! And I have had some strong nausea today so I am thinking that's a good sign! I'm getting a snack. TTYL
    MM
  • 3babybeans
    3babybeans Posts: 8,268 Member
    Options
    No home birth, but I did have a midwife for Zeke. It was fantastic. And yes, I will come down there with my rolls of duct tape & stick you on that couch for the next 35 weeks, Miss MM. You can count on it! Glad you have dinner coming!
  • Lyn_Matthews
    Options
    I hate goodies in the house. I just ate 800 calories worth of Chex muddy buddies...:angry: What the Hell was I thinking??? I was thinking "dang that looks good" but I should have just had one serving NOT 4!!!!

UGH now I feel terrible...plus I only have about 300 calories now for dinner :explode:
  • mechanicmom
    Options
    Oh goodness! I hope I'm not on bed rest for the next 35 weeks! Ugh! I will go insane!

DM, bring me some of the Chex muddy buddies! I love those things! I would so eat them too. Tomorrow's a new day! Don't fret it!

Alex's appointment went well. We love the doctor and his nurse. They are both Christians and are SOOO sweet! I think April will be our last appointment with them. :cry: We will just have to go visit them! They said Alex is doing so well that they will be taking him off his meds in about 6 weeks. One of them prevents the flu so they are keeping him on it until flu season is over. They want him to start some things at home after that. They also GAVE us some B vitamins and neurotransmitter support vitamins for him to take and they said I can take them as well, even pregnant! Downfall, they can make a person nauseated. Like I need help with that. I have had a fog over my brain since I was pregnant with Alex, so it would be nice to have it lifted.
    Alright, back to being a lazy butt. Hope there's some good stuff on TV. I may have to send my hubby out for some movies. lol
    MM
  • mechanicmom
    Options
    Uh oh. They brought hershey's kisses over with dinner! Ack! I had two. I hope to stop there! lol
  • Lyn_Matthews
    Options
    Aren't hershey kisses like 30 calories or something? So you had 60 calories I had 800!!! But I managed to stay within my calories for the day. I had a huge salad and lots of water. I know I will be starving by breakfast but I managed to get thru today without going over. Sending the rest of the muddy buddies with DH tomorrow :wink:
  • Marla64
    Marla64 Posts: 23,120 Member
    Options
    Man-- I've been so hungry all day-- nibbled all my calories away by dinner time, so had super-duper small portion of pasta, and then broccoli. But, yowsa-- just wolfed down two bowls of raisin bran, two pieces of toast and some saltines. Guess that's what comes from such an exercise week-- love the look of it, but the weight gain from exercise initially is a drag-- and the continued bloating-- grrrr.

Oh well-- heading to bed early tonight-- it's only midnight!!!!!! Woo hoooooooooooo-- come on babies, let mama sleep tonight!!!!!!!!

nitey-nite!!!!!!!!
  • mechanicmom
    Options
    Aren't hershey kisses like 30 calories or something? So you had 60 calories I had 800!!! But I managed to stay within my calories for the day. I had a huge salad and lots of water. I know I will be starving by breakfast but I managed to get thru today without going over. Sending the rest of the muddy buddies with DH tomorrow :wink:
    By the end of the evening I had 6 kisses and I was over my calories by 200. So you still did better than I did. lol
    Marla I hope you got some sleep!
    I found a midwife that can see me today. She's really young. My dh thinks she's younger than I am as she is newly married and looks like she's in her early to mid 20's . She's a Christian and has assisted in over 160 births overseas (missionary) before getting licensed in the states. I was thinking if an older more experiences lady would be better, but maybe not. They might not be as patient with me or expect more of me since they have seen more from other women, KWIM? I don't know. Just thinking. I can at least go in for the free consultation and she said she can check my progesterone levels and give me something that will help support the pregnancy.
    Oh this might be TMI but I realized last night that it's when I strain that I bleed. I'm not sure what can be done about it, but I don't think that would require bed rest. We'll see. Now I just need to borrow my neighbor's car to get over there this afternoon.
    I am going to try harder to stay in my calories today. I have dropped a couple of my Thanksgiving pounds so I am back down to 149.999999. LOL I would like to lose about 4 more pounds before packing on the pounds. But I'm not going to force it.
    You all have a good day! I'll bbl.
    MM
  • Nonibug
    Nonibug Posts: 1,214 Member
    Options
    Good morning Moms!
    Just a short check in today. I will be leaving in a few hours to drive from Chicago to Kentucky to help my sister out for about a week, she had surgery for a hernia that left about a 6 inch inscision up her belly:frown: . Shes not married and has no kids, so shes all alone down there. Its about a 300 mile (6 hrs) drive, but shes worth it:heart: Anyway, I will try to check in every day...I NEED NEED NEED my MFP!!:flowerforyou: :heart: Hope you all have a wonderful weekend and hope to be back on the boards soon!:smile:

~Roni

P.S. PLEASE let me be strong around my family!! Not only are they all crazy lol, but we are ALL overweight and they still love to eat lots of yummy fatty things:noway: They do know that I have lost a total of 29 lbs and am exercising every day and eating healthier, but that dont mean a whole lot when you get around family that you havent seen in close to a year and have always had unhealthy eating habits with:indifferent: Add to that that we have a NEW baby born the day before yesterday AND a 3 yr olds birthday party this weekend:indifferent: Boy, I need strength!:cry:
  • loreeb18
    loreeb18 Posts: 1,221 Member
    Options
    Lori - Harley will get it. Darrell was hard to keep on a schedule, but I do have to say that he was an extremely easy baby and I don't really have any authority to give advice on the holding to go to sleep thing. He wasn't used to being held when we brought him home because we weren't allowed to hold him much when he was in the NICU and he still has a hard time falling asleep if there are people in the room. He has to be completely alone, with the door shut, before he'll even THINK about sleeping. So I don't have a lot of advice, other than just stick with it. You'll both figure out the schedule soon and all this will be a distant memory. :bigsmile:

I'm not stressing about it. I just don't want her to get too into a routine and make it harder to get on a good schedule later.
    Lori - EWWIE! No more doggie poos on the floor! Yuckies. I'm so proud of you for getting up & working out, though! Good for you! I'm even more proud of your cute little hubby for letting you take a shower & get ready so he could be on baby watch. That's just great that he's being so supportive!

I think Luey is doing better today. So far no doggie poo to clean up.

We did well yesterday by getting up and working out. Today...I just slept in. I have to change my mindset because yesterday I burned abouty 100 calories working out. But I still ended up going over my calories but almost 550! I always seem to overeat when I work out. I don't know if w.o. makes me hungrier or if I subconciously think working out means I get to eat more and I just overdo it. Oh, well. today is a new day. And at least yestreday was productive. We got Harley's 3 months pictures taken, her picture taken with Santa, and our Christmas shopping done (well except for the dogs).
    Anyway, I will try to check in every day...I NEED NEED NEED my MFP!!:flowerforyou: :heart: Hope you all have a wonderful weekend and hope to be back on the boards soon!:smile:
    ~Roni

I know what you mean. "Hello, my name is Lori and I am an MFP-aholic."
  • Lyn_Matthews
    Options
    By the end of the evening I had 6 kisses and I was over my calories by 200. So you still did better than I did. lol

I didn't do that well. DH and I got in a huge fight last night and I ended up eating my anger before going to sleep on the couch :grumble: Now I'm stiff and sore and I'm going to need to work out just to work the kinks out of my back. Oh well, I think I'll find a hotel for tonight and get away. Wonder which one has the best gym...and an indoor pool. My son would love to go swimming and I'm thin enough I can get back into my swimsuit :happy:

Roni-good luck around family. It's so easy to slip into old habits around familiar faces (I know I did it over Thanksgiving and now I'm dreading Christmas)

I got my laundry done yesterday...well most of it. I need to do sheets and towels today. But right now it's time for breakfast. I'll check back in after my workout.

Have a great day!
  • mechanicmom
    Options
    Roni, It is the same way when I go to my family's house. They always talk about wanting to eat better and get in shape but they ALWAYS have junk food around the house! I lose complete control around that stuff. I told my sister not to make any of her buttercream icing Christmas cookies this year. She said, "Why not? I thought you liked them." I said, "I DO! That's the problem!" She looked at me like she didn't understand and said okay. I really do want her to make them but not enough to gain five pounds eating them! I also told them all absolutely NO candy in the stockings! I hope they don't break the rules. I am determined not to get fatter over Christmas. Well, I sort of will, lol but it will be baby fat.
    Right now, as I am listening to my son scream in the corner as hard as he can, I am wondering, "Why did I say I wanted another one?"
    Anyway, Roni, hang in there. Be strong. If you do mess up it's not the end of the world. You can try again at the next meal. I hope you have a good visit and that your sister recovers quickly.
    MM:flowerforyou: