At what point do you buy new clothes?

Options
ambermichon
ambermichon Posts: 404 Member
I started out a size 12 and have slowly whittled myself down to an 8. Now all of my size 8 jeans are too big but I am still losing.....I LOVE THIS but now I have clothes of all sizes!!! lol.....wondering when I should go get a size 6? Maybe now since even at my smallest I was never under a size 6. :-)

Replies

• deniseg31
    deniseg31 Posts: 667 Member
    Options
    congrats on your dwindeling sizes. :)

I started out at an 18 (could of probably fit into a 20 but I refused) and bought some jeans in a size 16 when I had lost about 20 lbs. Now I can fit into some 14's but not sure if I want to spend money on 14's and then have to spend on 12's (hopefully). In the meantime I'm swimming in 16's...LOL!
  • tammykoon
    tammykoon Posts: 303 Member
    Options
    That's a really big question here at my house. I have gone from a 36 stretch pant to a 28 zippered jean. My Husband has lost almost 60 lbs too. We are waiting as long as we can, then we are only buying one piece at a time. Don't want to invest to much money in clothes that I don't plan on needing! Having said that, if you have the extra cash and a new outfit would make you feel better about the new you... SHOP TIL YA DROP!!!
  • Mariposa187
    Mariposa187 Posts: 344 Member
    Options
    I know the feeling. I have a lot of old clothes that are 13 but I am still in a loose 17. For some reason i Dont have a lot of pants between 14-16... I do not want to buy pants because I have an over flow of 13s so I'm constantly hiking up my 17s. I need new work pants because of ginormous thighs are causing the inner seam to split but I am trying to at least get to a 15 hopefully a 14 before they decide to rip open...

I am very frugal (like the kind of person that makes the line get backed up from using lots of coupons) and dont like to buy lots of clothes so that might be why Im waiting but hey if you need em go for it!
  • ambermichon
    ambermichon Posts: 404 Member
    Options
    Yeah when I initially could fit into an 8 from a 10 I went out and bought several pairs of size 8's....wish I hadnt because now they are too big. I guess I could get them taken in. :-)
  • celticmuse
    celticmuse Posts: 492 Member
    Options
    Shop early and often - I'd say as soon as you drop a size, then keep buying. It is so much fun to shop for smaller clothes. And everything looks so good. If you think you will keep losing, save money by shopping at consignment shops. We have a couple in our town that sell only designer clothes. I have found some great deals there.
  • Pierced
    Pierced Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    You can always check the local good wheel or thrift stores to get you buy on those in-between sizes that you don't want to spend a ton on money on.
  • ChantalGG
    ChantalGG Posts: 2,404 Member
    Options
    Luckily for me i can sew. I went from a 12 to an 8 too and i am not sure i will go down another pant size, I have a larger lower body. I might invest in a sewing machine and actually save money.
  • skpresley20
    skpresley20 Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    I think if I knew I was going to keep losing more weight, I would just buy a couple jeans or some piece of clothing to get by. Another thing is, go to goodwill or another shop like that, a lot of the times you'll find clothes with the tags still on them! I wouldn't spend a lot of money on things that you're only going to have for a little bit. Like I want some new bras, but I'm nursing AND losing weight so there's so point because when I loose more weight, and stop nursing, God only knows what size I'll be wearing
  • marquesajen
    Options
    In high school my friends and I used to doctor our own clothes: tightened jean legs, fitting t-shirts that were too big, etc. I have fortunately hung onto my size 14 jeans, and it will be time to wear long pants when I hit that size, so that's good. However, once I go smaller I will probably resize myself or just buy a single new pair until I settle at weight.

Depending on how used your clothes are it might be more cost effective to get them tailored a size down, which will mean you'll look great without shelling out for a new pair. Also remember that thrift shops have a forest of clothes in all sizes, so if you think you're going to be changing sizes alot then maybe hit them up.
  • cardbucfan
    cardbucfan Posts: 10,400 Member
    Options
    Buy some inexpensive things. Target has some really cute shorts, capris and pants. Hit consignment and thrift stores. A good alterations person will more than pay for him/herself! If you have some expensive things that are just a little big, get them altered. I'm in the exact same situation as you and can't see myself getting below a 6. I have a few 4's that fit but truly the rise in the pants isn't right (I'm 5'9"!) so I'm thinking a 6 will be my size so I'm filling my new wardrobe with that. Shopping is finally fun! Oh, and congratulations on your loss!
  • vegamy
    vegamy Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    I'm going to wait until I hit my goal weight (and stay there for at least a month!) before spending significant money on clothes. I find that to get by, I'll go to Goodwill or Savers and look for clothes with tags (or "like new" condition clothes) that are business casual (for work, and a couple pairs of jeans for the weekends). I do this maybe once a month or once every two months so that my clothes fit relatively well, and so far have had good results and have spent between $20 and $30 each time I've gone to the store. Sometimes stores like that even have specials where some items are 50% off (Saver's has a 50% off all clothes day once in a while).
  • kayemme
    kayemme Posts: 1,782 Member
    Options
    i believe true success is rooted in self-confidence. i like to thrift shop and i buy clothes several sizes smaller occasionally so i have them in my closet. but more than that, i buy clothes regularly so that i always look nice.

one problem i find with most overweight/obese people (myself formerly included) is that we tend to wear clothes that are simply too big for us in effort to "hide" our bodies, but what actually happens is you make yourself appear more slovenly and unkempt in general. bigger clothes do not equate to hiding anything. they make you look bigger, in fact.

so now i wear my size, nothing bigger, nothing smaller. if you dress yourself appropriately, at any size you will look good.

also visiting a tailor will help fit your clothes to your body better, and keeping your posture straight will also give you the appearance of health and preparedness which translates to confidence and other successes.

good luck!
  • armaretta
    armaretta Posts: 851 Member
    Options
    i buy a couple pairs a pants to get me by when the ones I'm wearing are big enough to take off without unbuttoning or unzipping. Seems to be every 7-10lbs. Plus, when you look awesome in your new jeans, it's motivation to keep going :)
  • La_Amazona
    La_Amazona Posts: 4,855 Member
    Options
    Currently, my 16s are way baggy but my 14s are still too snug. I always would buy clothes for "when I lose weight" when I'd find cute pieces on the clearance rack at Target, Old Navy, etc... so I have a few pieces that are starting to fit or will fit me soon enough. I'll probably just stick to those until I need next size down then maybe I'll have to shop for some. Another thing is use dresses since summer dresses are more forgiving then jeans/shorts.
  • stormieweather
    stormieweather Posts: 2,549 Member
    Options
    Well, I bought new size 6's about 6 weeks ago. Now they're loose and I can fit into size 4's. I'm not buying new clothes though, can't afford it!
  • Julbella78
    Julbella78 Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    Hit the sale racks at department stores. Do you have a Kohl's? They have an 80% off rack and combine them with one of their coupons and you could walk out with a bag full of clothes for a little bit of nothing. You can also try consignment stores. It's hit or miss there.
  • porffor
    porffor Posts: 1,212 Member
    Options
    The poor student in me has lead me to buy some bits in the sales, and some bits second hand on eBay :) I went for more some designer bits second hand.. got some bargains and I love them because they're well lovely! lol
    For riding I have had to buy some smaller jodphurs but other than that all my baggy t-shirts and tops are being used for riding now!
  • theprettyone1010
    theprettyone1010 Posts: 408 Member
    Options
    I bought one dress when I lost a size. But I'm waiting until I reach my final weight goal to buy new clothes. Until then I just invested in some belts. :)
  • 1goodymom67
    Options
    Like my most women I have many sizes in my closet. I am down to my smallest stuff in my closet too. I have gotten rid of all my clothes that are too big. Slowly I buy clothes, sometimes friends give me clothes. I am not made of money. But When I become made of money I am totally getting a new wardrobe!!
  • MinnieInMaine
    MinnieInMaine Posts: 6,400 Member
    Options
    I had been waiting until my pants are so loose that they drive me nuts - droppy crotch, baggy butt and I have to keep hitching up the waist so they don't fall off. LOL!! But I try not to wait quite that long anymore because I kept getting comments at work and it was embarrassing.

Goodwill, Salvation Army and other thrift or 2nd hand shops are great for keeping costs low for those in between sizes. Any time I think I'm getting close to being ready for the next size down, I go try a bunch of things on and if something fits great, I buy it! Unfortunately I'm in between pant sizes right now so everything is either too tight or too loose - and I refuse to buy anything that's even remotely loose!!
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!