At what point do you buy new clothes?

Options

Replies

• luscadero
    luscadero Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    Thift. Stores. Seriously, it takes some time to find what you want, but if you are diligent you will find some awesome, cheap clothes. I live in a college town so they are picked clean here, but I will drive 45 minutes to get outside the city and shop at thrift stores that are not. Also, you can trade in your clothes at consignment shops, so you can get rid of the stuff that's too big for you and save money at the same time.
  • Rebeccasluckyduck
    Rebeccasluckyduck Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    All of my summer clothes (shorts, capris, tanks) are getting too big. They fit okay when I first put them on, but after I've had them on for an hour I can slide them over my hips without unzipping them. (They used to be really tight and then fit ok a little later.) I've started rolling the waist band down so they fit a little more snug. I just can't find it in myself to go spend the money on more shorts when summer is almost over and I'll hopefully be another size or two down by next summer.

I'm looking forward to Black Friday. I usually go shopping a day or two ahead of time and try things on so I can just snatch them up when the sale comes. I'll buy my new clothes then. Maybe I'll be down another size by then...? Hopefully.
  • ennaejay
    ennaejay Posts: 575
    Options
    buy new clothes when you want them & when budget allows.

sometimes you can use new threads as a reward; other times you can use them as a motivator/butt-kicker.

sometimes if i'm in a slump i buy new workout clothes that i feel great in, or reward myself with something cute to wear out. watch your budget and treat yourself, girl!
  • megz4987
    megz4987 Posts: 1,008 Member
    Options
    Idon't usually buy clothes until people start telling me I'm swimming in my clothes, looking frumpy, etc. I don't seem to notice as much as other people do, haha.

Oh, andeven then I'll buy things with drawstring (like cargo pants, ugly but whatever) so I can tie them tighter instead of buying anothersize wen I can't afford to.
  • deuce3Degotrip
    Options
    1 word: CLEARNCE!! I went to NY & Co. and got jeans any where between $7 and $12 bucks to hold me over until I'm ready to start spending $40 to $50 bucks on them again... they're the same quality jeans... just less expensive for this temporary size!
  • robinso5
    robinso5 Posts: 310 Member
    Options
    I know the feeling. I have a lot of old clothes that are 13 but I am still in a loose 17. For some reason i Dont have a lot of pants between 14-16... I do not want to buy pants because I have an over flow of 13s so I'm constantly hiking up my 17s. I need new work pants because of ginormous thighs are causing the inner seam to split but I am trying to at least get to a 15 hopefully a 14 before they decide to rip open...

I am very frugal (like the kind of person that makes the line get backed up from using lots of coupons) and dont like to buy lots of clothes so that might be why Im waiting but hey if you need em go for it!

Just a little food for thought Marip............if you go the the misses section i am sure you will wear a regular 16. 17's and odd numbered sizes are made for juniors (age 13-18) that haventfully developed these womanly curves we get after age 20! so maybe when you go shopping, change sections! and I also have the thigh issue! when you figure out a cure let me in on it.......wait we have a cure walk them down!
  • zookeeperjess
    Options
    I lost 18 pounds before I bought a pair of pants in my new size. Went from a size 10 to a 5/6. I suggest going to a consignment shop or some place real expensive and only getting 2-3 outfits to tie you over like I did. You can also buy some long flowy skirts to tie you over since they're easy to fit in when in between sizes! Congratulations on your weight loss!
  • bethdris
    bethdris Posts: 1,090 Member
    Options
    I have this same problem...I started at an 18/20(really pushing 20, but in denail). Then I got some 18s, well they got big, so I got 16's, then 14s, oh and then 12s....Im now in a 10 and REFUSE to buy anymore clothes until Im toned and its too cold to wear capri's.

Im selling all my bigger stuff in a yard sale, hoping to add that to my "need new clothes winter fund" :)
  • lildevil968
    lildevil968 Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    I agree with the PP who mentioned consignment shopping. I have been buying smaller pants/ shorts at Plato's closet for a fraction of the price. Once they do not fit me anymore, I sell them back to Plato's closet, and get my money back that day. Then I take that money, and use it to buy stuff in smaller sizes. It's a win/win for me.
  • ek724q
    ek724q Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    My suggestion is wear a belt for now. Then when you are ready to buy clothes go buy some.
  • JennsLosing
    JennsLosing Posts: 1,026
    Options
    im buying second hand clothes, and just plain ol cheap clothes until im satisfied with how im looking.
  • ambermichon
    ambermichon Posts: 404 Member
    Options
    Luckily for me i can sew. I went from a 12 to an 8 too and i am not sure i will go down another pant size, I have a larger lower body. I might invest in a sewing machine and actually save money.

Maybe I should learn!! Good idea
  • ambermichon
    ambermichon Posts: 404 Member
    Options
    Even my husband noticed my jeans were baggy today!!! At no point in my life, even as a teenager have I ever been smaller than a 6 thanks to my butt lol.....so I will probably buy one pair and see how that goes for a while and then maybe get some taken in. The one thing I actually spend money on is jeans since the cheaper brands dont ever fit me....so I will need to get them taken in. Thanks for all the responses!
  • Tdnb00
    Tdnb00 Posts: 7
    Options
    wait until you are close enough to your goal weight that you wont waste your money. loose is one thing, broke is another.
  • getfitdiva
    getfitdiva Posts: 1,148 Member
    Options
    When I can pull my pants down w/o unbuttoning them LOL. Also big clothes starts looking way oversized and baggy styles are just not in style. I would buy a few pieces every other week and even thrift/consignment or discount retailers.
  • Marlinedorcinvil
    Marlinedorcinvil Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    I am a shopper and when i was gaining weight it wasn't as fun to go out and get clothes. Once i started losing weight and went down from my 16 to a 12 I was definitely going to treat myself. I went and got pants that were actually comfortable but tight. i am wearing a size 10 right now but it is made of the stretch jean material so it works for me and i can lose weight in them. pants are very flexible; i can remember my roommates and i sharing a pair of jeans and we ranges from a size 14 to a size 5.

I think looking good throughout your weight loss is very important because it keeps my confidence up and i love hearing the compliments that i look good and like i have been losing weight.

People are different; my friend is losing weight as well and she would rather keep her baggy clothes so that she can measure how much she is loosing by how easily they slid off of her. it just looks a little sloppy to me.
  • Riley4ever
    Riley4ever Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    I've heard diet 'experts' say that each 10lbs you lose equates to another dress size.... on your profile you have another 10lbs to go yet so if you have money buy now, if you don't wait and reward yourself when you hit goal weight :)
  • stephyy4632
    stephyy4632 Posts: 947 Member
    Options
    goodwill and yard sales are my friend until I reach my goal size. I started out in a snug size 16 and am current fitting 12s perfectly :). My goodwill store has 29cent days and I go in on that day and stock up on items lol (which was today lol)

I know I am going to be in size 12 for alittle while since I am fitting perfectly in them right now not loose but no muffin either lol. But I started buying size 10`s and 9`s on the store cheap days. Today I was able to get 4 pair of Gap brand jeans , two dress tops and one fancy dress (hoping to use it for thanksgiving or christmas party) all for under 5.00 :)
  • melsinct
    melsinct Posts: 3,512 Member
    Options
    I think looking good throughout your weight loss is very important because it keeps my confidence up and i love hearing the compliments that i look good and like i have been losing weight.

Absolutely! Why look dumpy wearing clothes that are 2 sizes too big? I started off as a size 14 and really didn't want to buy "in between" pants so I held them up with safety pins. Eventually I had to accept the fact that I needed smaller pants so I bought 10s and was able to skip buying 12s. As soon as I started wearing pants that fit, the compliments started rolling in about how much weight I have lost.

Don't hang on to pants that come nowhere near fitting you, you won't feel good about yourself because you will look dumpy. Go to Goodwill and buy pants for $3 if you have no money. If you have some money but don't want to spend a lot on in between clothes, check out Target and other discount stores...I just bought a $12 pair of jeans at Target last week as I still have some to lose and no jeans left that fit!
  • kimbers336
    Options
    First of all, Congratulations! =)

I am in the same boat not wanting to buy any new clothes to just lose more weight and not need them. What I have been doing is taking them in a little in the waist with the sewing machine. Since I like my shirts longer, it covers the seam anyway and they look like new pants!
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!