Friday Grocery Shopping at WOODMANS...judge me if you must..

ShelbyLB
ShelbyLB Posts: 431
Hello friends!!

So tomorrow I will be doing some grocery shopping at Woodman's...YES, on a FRIDAY NIGHT..judge me if you must..:)

I have a list of things I want to get, but are there any NEW FINDS I should be keeping an eye out for?? Any DELISH things I MUST try???

I REALLLLLY want to stay away from too many 'processed' foods...

Thanks everyone and HAPPY THURSDAY!! :D

Replies

• natskedat
    natskedat Posts: 570 Member
    To avoid processed foods, keep in mind the following "rules" when reading ingredient lists:

1. If you can't pronounce it, it's probably not legitimate food (yogurt cultures are an obvious exception).
    2. If you can't identify it in nature, don't eat it.
    3. "Enriched" means that all the good stuff has been stripped away and then added back artificially. Ridiculous.
    4. Attempt as few sealed bags, wrappers, and boxes as possible.
    5. Fresh is best.
    6. If you must open a package, try for foods with 5 ingredients or less.
    7. Don't go shopping with little kids.

Good luck and have fun!
  • goron59
    goron59 Posts: 890 Member
    What's woodmans?
  • ShelbyLB
    Woodman's is just a grocery store chain....:D
  • baisleac
    baisleac Posts: 2,019 Member
    Fresh, natural, organic nut butter.
  • ShelbyLB
    Thanks ladies...it was a SUPER innocent post...just a 'what are the staples on your grocery list' post....hmmm....
    Perhaps I worded it wrong?? I'm confused...bahah
  • when shopping I always stick to the perimeter of the store, fruits veggies meats, dairy and the bakery....for my bread. I avoid all middle isles unless it is for cleaning supplies or cereal. I agree with the above poster who said if you cant pronounce an ingredient then it isnt legit.....very true!
  • Must haves for me is carrots and fat free ranch dressing, it curbs my chip cravings, fruit any and all kinds yoplait lights....they're like a desert to me and peanut butter.... yummy!
  • ShelbyLB
    when shopping I always stick to the perimeter of the store, fruits veggies meats, dairy and the bakery....for my bread. I avoid all middle isles unless it is for cleaning supplies or cereal. I agree with the above poster who said if you cant pronounce an ingredient then it isnt legit.....very true!

Thanks girl!! Thats my 'plan' this time is to stick to the 'outter edges' of the store...:) I am definitely stocking up on fruits/veggies.....and I love my Eggland's Best eggs, and unsweetened almond milk. :)
  • meggers123
    meggers123 Posts: 711 Member
    weeellll...... some people are grumpy (getting enough fiber?)

I always scan the fruits and veggiesfirst. organic and "close" (which for me is western europe. not sure for you)

Then the fresh meats and cheese... I try to avoid huge, frozen packages, but that's just me.

I like the "if you can't pronounce it" rule... although I like in Germany, so there are some harmless things I can pronounce. lol..
  • ShelbyLB
    weeellll...... some people are grumpy (getting enough fiber?)

I always scan the fruits and veggiesfirst. organic and "close" (which for me is western europe. not sure for you)

Then the fresh meats and cheese... I try to avoid huge, frozen packages, but that's just me.

I like the "if you can't pronounce it" rule... although I like in Germany, so there are some harmless things I can pronounce. lol..

So true!! I definitely need to chose my meats wisely...and cheeses...its gross to admit, but I used to go for so many processed cheeses..:(
  • dietfree2012
    dietfree2012 Posts: 801 Member
    lol, who knew that a grocery question could spark so much animosity, geez..be easy ladies, this is a support site! Anywho, outside aisle yes, but if you must go inside, i have been filling up on proggresso soup. No nothing new there, but its really filling for a light lunch with peppridge farm chees crisps...ummmmmmmm...perfect "light" lunch!
  • VelcroPooh
    VelcroPooh Posts: 152
    I am in love with Special K multi-grain crackers. You can have 24 of them for only 120 calories. They taste great and make a great snack, wonderful with tuna fish or a "chip" replacement for sandwiches.
  • VelcroPooh
    I was talking about the double boxes around the quote....what are you talking about? :)
  • clw_888
    clw_888 Posts: 157 Member
    I always appreciate reminders on how to shop and eat healthier! It keeps me on track with my plan and I look forward to reading the REAL suggestions! :)
  • ShelbyLB
    please, no more 'debate'....I was simply looking for food suggestions... :D Thanks!
  • Shannon023
    Shannon023 Posts: 14,529 Member
    when shopping I always stick to the perimeter of the store, fruits veggies meats, dairy and the bakery....for my bread. I avoid all middle isles unless it is for cleaning supplies or cereal. I agree with the above poster who said if you cant pronounce an ingredient then it isnt legit.....very true!

But the middle is where the chips are. :laugh:
  • bry_all01
    bry_all01 Posts: 3,100 Member
    if you want any snacky ideas, Good Health Natural Foods Veggie Stix (or Veggie Chips) are really good.
  • ShelbyLB

But the middle is where the chips are. :laugh:

bahaha...SO TRUE...I do love chips...but am SO determined to stick with my plan! :) Have a fabulous day!
  • VelcroPooh
    Someone posted a recipe for Kale chips the other day and I so want to try them now. There were tons of replies on how good they were. I've never tried Kale, but it made me want to try it.
  • Have you ever tried the Walden Farms line? I don't know if they carry it at your store, but they carry it at the likes of Sunflower Markets, Vitamin Cottages, Sprouts...etc. (not Whole Foods though). Everything they make is 100% ZERO calorie, sugar, fat. They have 14 different types of salad dressings, peanut butters, pancake syrups, veggie dips, jelly, chocolate dip, mayo, ketchup... and a lot more. VERY tasty too!