Friday Grocery Shopping at WOODMANS...judge me if you must..

2»

Replies

• ShelbyLB
    ShelbyLB Posts: 431
    Have you ever tried the Walden Farms line? I don't know if they carry it at your store, but they carry it at the likes of Sunflower Markets, Vitamin Cottages, Sprouts...etc. (not Whole Foods though). Everything they make is 100% ZERO calorie, sugar, fat. They have 14 different types of salad dressings, peanut butters, pancake syrups, veggie dips, jelly, chocolate dip, mayo, ketchup... and a lot more. VERY tasty too!

OH GOSH...I actually have their pancake syrup in my pantry and LOVE to swirl a tbsp into my oatmeal...or put a splash of it on top of banana pancakes...YUMM!! I try not to use TOO much, but its a nice treat. :)
  • staceyGO
    staceyGO Posts: 376
    Have you ever tried the Walden Farms line? I don't know if they carry it at your store, but they carry it at the likes of Sunflower Markets, Vitamin Cottages, Sprouts...etc. (not Whole Foods though). Everything they make is 100% ZERO calorie, sugar, fat. They have 14 different types of salad dressings, peanut butters, pancake syrups, veggie dips, jelly, chocolate dip, mayo, ketchup... and a lot more. VERY tasty too!

OH GOSH...I actually have their pancake syrup in my pantry and LOVE to swirl a tbsp into my oatmeal...or put a splash of it on top of banana pancakes...YUMM!! I try not to use TOO much, but its a nice treat. :)

Chocolate syrup and barbeque sauce when sauteed with mushrooms is amazing.... altho the fact that it is made of "nothing" concerns me slightly, but you're right... good as a treat!
  • Temporalia
    Temporalia Posts: 1,151 Member
    i've discovered coconut water lately, make sure it's coconut water only with no sugar added, 45 calories per 1 cup serving and a lot of benefits: http://www.coconutwaterlife.com/coconut-water-benefits
  • atomdraco
    atomdraco Posts: 1,083 Member
    No judgment on shopping on Friday night, I've done that so many times. :-) Less crowd and I like the quietness. I spent most of the time in the produce session and natural food isles, and pretty much skip most of the other process food isles.

I'm a little disappointed with their produce session, often their vegi are old, dried. At least at the Woodman I go. So, I haven't been there for awhile.

Just make sure you read ingredients carefully. Enjoy
  • atomdraco
    atomdraco Posts: 1,083 Member
    i've discovered coconut water lately, make sure it's coconut water only with no sugar added, 45 calories per 1 cup serving and a lot of benefits: http://www.coconutwaterlife.com/coconut-water-benefits

I usually pick the one in glass bottle, the ones in the natural food isles. My hubby love coconut water.
  • summertime_girl
    summertime_girl Posts: 3,945 Member
    The Walden Farms stuff tastes so chemically. Blech.
  • Temporalia
    Temporalia Posts: 1,151 Member

I usually pick the one in glass bottle, the ones in the natural food isles. My hubby love coconut water.

I haven't found that option yet, I bought the Vita Coco one and the King Island one and I prefer Vita Coco in terms of taste. We are pretty limited around Ontario/ Quebec, it's still very new.
  • foodforfuel
    foodforfuel Posts: 569 Member
    Have you tried the Ziplock Zip-&-Steam steamer bags yet? You can google recipes for them. I'm going to start experimenting more with them. Yesterday I put in brocolli, cauliflower, carrots, one slice of canadian bacon and 1/2 tablespoon of lite terriyaki sauce, microwaved for 2 minutes, let it sit for a minute, opened the bag, dumped it out on a plate and cut two slices of fresh tomatoes on the side. It was WONDERFUL!!! I think those bags are seriously worth a try! (sorry about the spelling! :) )
  • margieward82
    margieward82 Posts: 406 Member
    Check out the health foods bulk area (if they have it, we have HEB here but no Woodman's) and try things like the dried fruits and veggies! As always read the lables carefully! Lots sill have added sugar or cane syrup, but the ones that dont are a great snack! I really like the dried veggies, not the veggie chips or straws becuase many of those are fried or have added oil, salt, etc. But the stuff that is just veggies. In fact, I think that is the name of one brand "Just Veggies" and "Just fruit"
    happy shopping!
  • lemonadem
    lemonadem Posts: 398 Member
    Thanks for this post- I always love finding out what is on other people's grocery lists!!
  • adagolden
    adagolden Posts: 146 Member
    I always get 100 calorie wholly guacamole packs, they are great with carrots or baked chips
    almonds, raw to munch on
    thin n trim honey or santa fe turkey from the deli
    almond butter
    wasa crackers are awesome with some laughing cow or guac spread on top
    flatout wraps are great for sandwiches or pizzas
    greek yogurt
    Sriracha hot chili sauce, we put it on everything!

I'm sure you probably already eat some of those, but that is what I always get.
  • BerkleyEL
    BerkleyEL Posts: 77 Member
    I'll be making a trip to the Woodmans in my area sometime this weekend,
    I'll be sure to post up my list once I'm done!
  • I love hummus with cucumber chips, celery and carrot sticks, or the Special K crackers!
  • meggers123
    meggers123 Posts: 711 Member
    I haven't found that option yet, I bought the Vita Coco one and the King Island one and I prefer Vita Coco in terms of taste. We are pretty limited around Ontario/ Quebec, it's still very new.

Also limited here in Germany on Coconut water, although I found a Reformhhaus that sells it near us. I like the organic brands Cocowell and Dr. Antonio Martins. I absolutely *love* it :D
  • GiniN
    GiniN Posts: 39 Member
    My new idea is ordinary foods but on the grill. I buy wood chips of different types (oak, cherry, mesquite, hickory, etc) and experiment. Big flavor with near-zero added calories. My new favorite thing is grilled veggies. Especially roasted mini "tricolor" peppers, big portobello mushrooms brushed with balsamic vinegar, and big chunky asparagus spears marinated with balsamic. Tastes completely indulgent but super low cal. We grill veggies and chicken once or twice a week, then use in salads or re-heat in microwave the next few days. And I'm just starting to experiment with grilled fruits. I have tried peaches and pineapple and both were delish.

I don't generally like sugar substitutes, but splenda has a "brown sugar blend" that is a mix of regular brown sugar and splenda. Less than a tsp. lends sweetness and that nice caramel-type flavor. Really good with plain greek yogurt, a couple spoons of fiber one cereal, and berries.