Errrrmmm.... kind of embarrassing but need help (constipatio

Options

Replies

• Seajolly
    Seajolly Posts: 1,435 Member
    Options
    Make sure you are getting enough FAT. Sounds silly, but our bodies need fat to push things through the system in addition to fiber and water!
  • unsuspectingfish
    unsuspectingfish Posts: 1,176 Member
    Options
    Technically, it's still considered "normal" if you're only having a bowel movement every three days. It's only true constipation if you go for long than that without one (and/or you're in pain, at which point, definitely go to the doctors).

That being said, at least one a day is probably healthiest (and more comfortable). More fruits and veggies is the best way to go. They'll give you plenty of natural fiber and there will be no need for any drugs. If you want a quick fix, try eating prunes for a few days. That's what I've done in the past when I've had to take painkillers that screwed up my system.

Also remember to drink a lot of water if you're getting a lot of fiber, or you'll end up with the same problem that too little fiber causes.

Oh, and someone mentioned cherries. Those are excellent, too, but don't eat too many. Then you'll have the opposite problem.
  • NoExcuseTina
    NoExcuseTina Posts: 506 Member
    Options
    jog...every time I jog, I have to go to the bathroom...lol
  • MariPars
    MariPars Posts: 52
    Options
    No problem! It is something thats not always the easiest to talk about, I know! Good luck and I hope one of my suggestions work for you!! For me theyve all been trial and error. If you buy the stool softener, get a better brand as opposed to a cheaper kind. In my experience (rolling eyes) it does make a difference.
  • Zerbertkisses
    Zerbertkisses Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    I have to also agree with the coffee suggestions. I always have my morning cup and go pretty shortly after that! If you're not a regular coffee drinker than it will work even better. Like - stay close to a bathroom. :)

Also, some fruit juices.
  • bjohs
    bjohs Posts: 1,225 Member
    Options
    There are a lot of natural diuretics that can help with that. Carrots works wonders for me. :)

http://www.your-healing.com/naturaldiuretics.html
  • Jemmuno
    Jemmuno Posts: 413 Member
    Options
    I agree with the people saying fiber and drink lots of water!! The thing with fiber is if you don't drink enough water and your eating lots of it, it will make you constipated, but on the other hand if you eat fiber and drinks lots of water it will make your bowel movements more regular. Since you shared yours I'll share mine, I eat about 30-35g of fiber a day and drink about 12-14 glasses of water a day and have a bowel movement like clock work every morning.

Also, if your looking for a quick fix the people who said coffee are on the money. Coffee is a diuretic there for it will make substances leave the body quickly which is why a lot of places tell you not to drink it because it will dehydrate you.
  • noogie98
    noogie98 Posts: 423 Member
    Options
    No need to be embarrassed ~ it is a natural part of all of our lives! My solution is Activia yogurt ~ I eat 2 a day & I am as regular as clockwork. I usually eat about 30-40g of fiber daily, tons of H20 (18 glasses on average) & this coupled with the Activia works wonders! Hope this helps!
  • MJStory
    MJStory Posts: 42
    Options
    Look at your diet; you've been keeping track every day! How much protein are you consuming, and how fatty is it (this could be the culprit)? Look at your carbs.; are you eating fruits (instead of clear juices), vegetables, & whole grains (instead of say, white flour & white rice?). If you're not uncomfortable, it's probably OK; the "normal frequency is once every 3 days to 3 times a day" by the books. If you've found you now have hemorrhoids, you have been constipated whether you're comfortable or not, and should increase your fiber, and make sure you're drinking more than the requisite 8 glasses per day of fluids (twice as much would be good). If constipation still continues, you should consider taking over-the-counter stool softeners to "loosen things up". There are also OTC bran & fiber available that you can ad to you diet; be judicious in the amount you consume, as it can trigger diarrhea if too much. I hope this helps!

Take care......MJ, RN
  • inlander
    inlander Posts: 339 Member
    Options
    If a dietary change doesn't work for you (it absolutely should), you can try a stool softener pill. :) Honestly, I find that eating lots of fruit and veggies and working out keep me regular.
  • TiffMax
    TiffMax Posts: 70
    Options
    What is "considered normal" is very different than what is healthy. Healthy is to poop 3 or more times a day. The longer stuff sits in us the more opportunity it has to make us sick. add green smoothies to your diet- there are tons of great sites- greensmoothygirl.com has great info and some videos. Naturesgardenspot.com has GREAT recipes - you can make them mostly fruit and just sneak in a few leaves of greens to start and they taste yummy!- It will definitely have the side affect of helping you go more, but lots of other benefits as well!
  • mislmar
    mislmar Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    Get a bottle of magnesium citrate, you can get it at Walmart near the laxatives. It works really fast, in about 6 to 8 hours and doesn't cramp you to death either.
  • inlander
    inlander Posts: 339 Member
    Options
    jog...every time I jog, I have to go to the bathroom...lol

Yeah, what's with this? I can't jog for longer than a couple of miles without having to, you know ... poo.
  • devilblkdress
    Options
    I get 30+ grams of fiber a day, eat plenty of fresh veggies and still have to resort to Miralax (which I get through a prescription from my doctor) ever since I started dieting the healthy way years ago. I find it fairly ironic since when I binged on crap I had no issues in that department ever (if not quite the opposite lol) Needless to say everyone is different, coffee, water and exercise is definitely not a cure that worked for me so you may just have to resort to something more heavy duty to produce a more regular result!
  • Kaecklund
    Kaecklund Posts: 191 Member
    Options
    I swear by Acidophillus (sp?). I have the pill for, but I think you can even get it in milk, otherwise eat yogurt! It's great for the digestive system and it's NATURAL.
  • purnurple
    purnurple Posts: 102
    Options
    i got so bad as every 5 days and my doctor told me 3 days ago to take metamucil once a day and the next day i pooped and they day after that.
  • _gwen
    _gwen Posts: 501 Member
    Options
    I have this problem too.

High fiber food suggestions: http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/high-fiber-foods/NU00582

Raspberries are great (think frozen in the off season)

I've taken Metamucil and Benefiber. They work, but I wasn't excited about them as food. Watch the sugar levels if you take flavored Metamucil, not good if you are diabetic.

I've started adding ground flax seed meal to my oatmeal and yogurt. Nice nutty flavor. Works great. I'm more regular than I've ever been.
  • zeeeb
    zeeeb Posts: 805 Member
    Options
    i got that problem, and i reckon it's because i'm probably only eating half the quantity of food i was eating.

but i eat dried prunes every day. and that sorts it out. you may say YUCK! But seriously, if you haven't tried them since you were a kid, try them again, they are delicious and sweet. i eat at least 5 a day.
  • killagb
    killagb Posts: 3,280 Member
    Options
    Good ol MFP, the place where strangers share their bodily functions freely with each other :bigsmile: lol
  • KeriA
    KeriA Posts: 3,275 Member
    Options
    I really think green tea is helping me. Yes coffee made from fresh ground coffee beans used to help but I think my body got used to it.