OH NO! Craving Alert!!!

Options

Replies

• ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,708 Member
    Options
    That's where you are wrong. Until recently, there were no GMOs sold in Europe at fast food chains. Their food is different tasting and feeling than ours is. Not saying that the calories are better---just the chemical composition. US food has more MSG than any food in the world. Do some research and check it out.
    Packaged foods in places like the Philippines, was just there in January of this year, have the same chemical additives, artificial colors, etc. as US packaged food. I read the labels out of curiousity. As to claims of MSG I'll have to research it.
  • chevy88grl
    chevy88grl Posts: 3,937 Member
    Options
    Why are you arguing with people about fast food? If someone doesn't want to eat because of the calories, sodium, chemicals - it is THEIR body and THEIR choice. Stop arguing with them and trying to change their mind. If you want to put it in YOUR body, GREAT. But, stop trying to convince other people to do the same thing. Every single one of us makes choices based on what we feel is best for our own body. I hate when people try and convince me to change my mind because THEY do it differently.

Wanna eat McDonalds once a week? Good for you. Go right ahead, but stop trying to tell these other people they have a better chance of dying in a car accident than from fast food.

THEY ARE CHOOSING TO NOT EAT IT (for whatever reason). You are badgering them about their choices. It's pushy and annoying. Stop. No one is telling YOU what to do, STOP doing it to everyone else. I don't care about all the fine print in your signature or what you've done, don't do, etc.

*I* know what *I* feel is best for *MY* body and it isn't to fill it with empty calories that make me feel like crap for hours afterward!
    No what's annoying is all the "healthy" people talking about how bad fast food is when there is just as many chemicals in foods in the grocery store. Get facts straight. The OP talked about a craving. I gave her a suggestion. Then all the "healthy" people come out of the woodwork making statements about "ooh how bad McDonald's is bad, gross, poison" etc.
    Face the facts people. If you're overweight it's because you overate calories.
    I'm not trying to convince people to eat McDonald's, I'm saying that all this BS about how bad foods are that aren't bought in a grocery store is no different than a lot of the food that you do buy there.

Maybe all these "healthy" people don't like the chemicals that are prevalent in fast foods. And since YOU don't know what else they're eating - you aren't in a position to tell them they're right or wrong.

Honestly. You seem to have some sort of complex about yourself and the choices YOU choose to make.

Stop being so patronizing to people. Contrary to what you seem to think - we aren't all morons. We are a bunch of people trying to get healthier and make better choices for ourselves. For many people, eliminating fast food from their "diet" is the best choice for THEM. Which really was my point.

Stop worrying so much about what other people want to eat and worry about what you're eating. Like I said, if you want to eat McDonald's - great. Go for it. But, STOP talking down to people who don't want to eat it. Stop treating them like they're ignorant fools because they don't want to fill their body full of foods of unknown origins. You don't know what items they buy in the grocery store - so you're assuming they're buying crap there too. Stop that. Seriously. It's ridiculous.

It all comes down to what I said before (which you're so caught up in "I'm right" and all these "healthy" people are WRONG! that you've missed it)...

We all make choices for OUR OWN BODIES! We eat what we think is best for us. Honestly. Stop trying to convince us otherwise (and you ARE trying to convince us that fast food isn't evil when you're telling us we are more likely to die in a car accident than from fast food). That is YOU trying to convince US to do what YOU think is best. Well, it may be best for YOU but not for US!

And I've known quite a few "fitness people" and NONE of them condone eating McDonald's. They'll tell you that it is full of chemicals, sodium, calories and for a healthier lifestyle - it should be avoided. Nutritionists, personal trainers, etc all of them will tell you that it is better to avoid this stuff. Hell, if it were good for you - my grandma's cardiologist wouldn't have told her to stop eating ALL fast food for her heart's well being.
  • ninerbuff
    Options
    I don't eat bad food. I do have treats made from high quality ingredients from scratch that are high calorie and scrumptious. I continue to lose FAT and increase muscle while drinking my gourmet hot chocolates, eating steak and bacon and homemade coconut milk ice creams, and enjoying all a vast array of gorgeous colorful veggies. You can't equate the possible chemicals in my food to the MASSIVE quantities of chemicals in the food that comes in crinkly bags, cardboard boxes and drive through windows. You just can not.
    Losing fat good, increasing muscle.......practically impossible on calorie deficit. You may see more muscle giving you the illusion your building muscle, but muscle is built on calorie surplus. Just thought you should know if you didn't.
    And no the chemical composition in what you buy is going to much less, I won't argue with that.
    But much of health has to do with weight and genetics. Cancer is more genetic than attained through bad eating. Same with high blood pressure.
    Again my whole input on this thread was to say that "bad" food to fill a craving once in awhile, isn't that bad. For people to chastise others who have a craving for it and saying "you're eating garbage" is wrong. If the intention is to lead a lifestyle that reasonable healthy AND FUN, then there's no need to intimidate them thinking one "bad" meal will be their downfall.
  • ninerbuff
    Options
    And I've known quite a few "fitness people" and NONE of them condone eating McDonald's. They'll tell you that it is full of chemicals, sodium, calories and for a healthier lifestyle - it should be avoided. Nutritionists, personal trainers, etc all of them will tell you that it is better to avoid this stuff. Hell, if it were good for you - my grandma's cardiologist wouldn't have told her to stop eating ALL fast food for her heart's well being.
    You don't like my posts don't read them. Nuff said.
  • chevy88grl
    Options

I suggest you don't pass yourself off as a fitness professional who is pushing their fast food desires onto other people.

Nuff said.
  • diane423
    diane423 Posts: 48
    Options
    I have the same issues. I love fast food. but i find that when im looking at the fast food menu, i start thinking about the calories and i say to myself is this worth it.. will this help me get thin again. I usually turn around and leave. I have done this several times in the past month.. I guess u have to find your inner voice and just listen... God luck and dont have the crappy food not worth the set back...
  • FabCheeky
    FabCheeky Posts: 311
    Options
    I don't eat bad food. I do have treats made from high quality ingredients from scratch that are high calorie and scrumptious. I continue to lose FAT and increase muscle while drinking my gourmet hot chocolates, eating steak and bacon and homemade coconut milk ice creams, and enjoying all a vast array of gorgeous colorful veggies. You can't equate the possible chemicals in my food to the MASSIVE quantities of chemicals in the food that comes in crinkly bags, cardboard boxes and drive through windows. You just can not.
    Losing fat good, increasing muscle.......practically impossible on calorie deficit. You may see more muscle giving you the illusion your building muscle, but muscle is built on calorie surplus. Just thought you should know if you didn't.
    And no the chemical composition in what you buy is going to much less, I won't argue with that.
    But much of health has to do with weight and genetics. Cancer is more genetic than attained through bad eating. Same with high blood pressure.
    Again my whole input on this thread was to say that "bad" food to fill a craving once in awhile, isn't that bad. For people to chastise others who have a craving for it and saying "you're eating garbage" is wrong. If the intention is to lead a lifestyle that reasonable healthy AND FUN, then there's no need to intimidate them thinking one "bad" meal will be their downfall.

I eat between 1500 (on slow days when I don't work out) to 2500 (my max) calories a day. My macro ratios are 50% fat, 30% protein, and 20% good clean carbs.

I compare eating all those chemicals to smoking. One cigarette isn't going to kill you, but it could increase your likelihood for addiction and illness. The chemical version of MSG is added in high quantities to fast and chain restaurant food to increase your cravings for that food from that chain. The thing that bothers me is that you don't know what some of those chemicals are, what they do, and that they are in the food. I used to think that a my favorite fried chicken (KFC) was some herbs, maybe a sprinkle of sugar, white flour, eggs, milk and chicken. The fact of the matter is, that I was eating so many chemicals including HUGE amounts of MSG. I didn't connect the dots for so long. I was perpetually having to take migraine medication. I was heavy despite eating a deficit of calories. I never had any energy. I had reproductive issues including atypical PCOS and endometriosis. I had extreme 'seasonal' allergies that were never out of season. I developed asthma at 30. I have had joint issues since I was a teenager----even while being underweight. I was tested for several cancers, Lupus and weird diseases that I had never heard of. Got diagnosed with fibromyalgia and significant iron deficiency anemia despite eating a recommended diet with occassional "treat" meals at my favorite fast food and chain restaurants AND taking vitamins every day. I had chronic gut issues that were diagnosed as IBS years ago. My blood sugar issues drove me insane---no matter how closely I monitored things. I took medications for all of that.

If I hadn't screamed at my rheumatologist back in October 2010...and he hadn't given me the advice that changed my life...I would still be fat, sick, and unhappy. He told me to cut out wheat. He said that it was in most of the food that comes in packages---so if I was serious: make everything from scratch. Just eat meat, raw nuts, eggs, fruits and veggies. Season everything with only salt and pepper. Use olive oil.

My life changed completely.

I literally do not have any of those health issues any more. Going full paleo (adding in a lot of good fats from extra virgin coconut oil, more nuts and olive oil than I would have ever dreamed was healthy, eating SO MUCH MEAT and SO MANY EGGS) has corrected the rest of my issues. I don't take any medication---not even a Tylenol---any more.

Even more impressive: my son's journey. He's 11. He has Autism. It no longer has him. He's not cured, but the leaps and bounds that we have made can not be denied and are miraculous.

Thinking about what we ate was the first step in fixing ALL of our health issues.
  • ninerbuff
    Options

I suggest you don't pass yourself off as a fitness professional who is pushing their fast food desires onto other people.

Nuff said.
    Lol, tell that to my clients who haven't gained their weight back and eat whatever they want. Thanks for playing.
  • ninerbuff
    Options
    I eat between 1500 (on slow days when I don't work out) to 2500 (my max) calories a day. My macro ratios are 50% fat, 30% protein, and 20% good clean carbs.

I compare eating all those chemicals to smoking. One cigarette isn't going to kill you, but it could increase your likelihood for addiction and illness. The chemical version of MSG is added in high quantities to fast and chain restaurant food to increase your cravings for that food from that chain. The thing that bothers me is that you don't know what some of those chemicals are, what they do, and that they are in the food. I used to think that a my favorite fried chicken (KFC) was some herbs, maybe a sprinkle of sugar, white flour, eggs, milk and chicken. The fact of the matter is, that I was eating so many chemicals including HUGE amounts of MSG. I didn't connect the dots for so long. I was perpetually having to take migraine medication. I was heavy despite eating a deficit of calories. I never had any energy. I had reproductive issues including atypical PCOS and endometriosis. I had extreme 'seasonal' allergies that were never out of season. I developed asthma at 30. I have had joint issues since I was a teenager----even while being underweight. I was tested for several cancers, Lupus and weird diseases that I had never heard of. Got diagnosed with fibromyalgia and significant iron deficiency anemia despite eating a recommended diet with occassional "treat" meals at my favorite fast food and chain restaurants AND taking vitamins every day. I had chronic gut issues that were diagnosed as IBS years ago. My blood sugar issues drove me insane---no matter how closely I monitored things. I took medications for all of that.

If I hadn't screamed at my rheumatologist back in October 2010...and he hadn't given me the advice that changed my life...I would still be fat, sick, and unhappy. He told me to cut out wheat. He said that it was in most of the food that comes in packages---so if I was serious: make everything from scratch. Just eat meat, raw nuts, eggs, fruits and veggies. Season everything with only salt and pepper. Use olive oil.

My life changed completely.

I literally do not have any of those health issues any more. Going full paleo (adding in a lot of good fats from extra virgin coconut oil, more nuts and olive oil than I would have ever dreamed was healthy, eating SO MUCH MEAT and SO MANY EGGS) has corrected the rest of my issues. I don't take any medication---not even a Tylenol---any more.

Even more impressive: my son's journey. He's 11. He has Autism. It no longer has him. He's not cured, but the leaps and bounds that we have made can not be denied and are miraculous.

Thinking about what we ate was the first step in fixing ALL of our health issues.
    This is good to hear, but are your convictions because of just your particular circumstance? While I totally believe that some with health issues steer clear of junk, many overweight people just really need to restrict their intake and add exercise, rest and essentials to their diet to fix it.
    Glad you found out what was your issue and hope your son gets better.
  • chevy88grl
    Options

Nuff said.
    Lol, tell that to my clients who haven't gained their weight back and eat whatever they want. Thanks for playing.

Hopefully they've lost it and kept it off because they had enough common sense to figure out what worked for THEM and didn't trust someone else blindly.

But, that's just me.

P.S. if I hired a personal trainer and he told me "I eat McDonald's and so can you! Just restrict your calories!" I would fire him the same day. People want to be healthier - not just lose weight and they are NOT one and the same. I know a lot of thinner, unhealthy people based on their food choices and I do know some heavier people who are healthier than those thin people.

Your level of health is not indicated by a number on the scale - and since you claim to be a fitness professional .. YOU should know this! Health goes far deeper than the number you see on the scale. A thin man at my job had a heart attack and died at 44.

His favorite meal at work? A big mac meal. So, thin doesn't equal healthy.
  • Kalrez
    Kalrez Posts: 655 Member
    Options
    :) and if you had read my other responses you would see that I no longer eat meat...i don't want all the hormones and ammonia that our beef/chicken/pork/etc is saturated in, in my body.
    So are you really against it because of meat? Or are you an animal activist? Be honest.

What does it matter? Does abstaining from meat consumption based on blatant cruelty toward animals automatically invalidate her desire to not eat meat? She's not running around screaming "MEAT IS MURDER" and telling everyone that they are horrible people for eating hamburgers. She did recommend a pretty informative documentary. So what? People have recommended documentaries (Fat, Sick, and Nearly Dead) but that doesn't make them raving juice activists. It just makes you aware.

Look, we get that you like McDonalds and fast food and that it hasn't had a single negative impact on you. Congrats. You, sir, are not representative of everyone. Yes, our bodies are efficient machines. That doesn't mean that some of the food that we eat isn't really all that great. That doesn't mean that the OP should just go out and enjoy a McWhopper Triple Stacker every week. You can and do. Good for you. Go wave your pro-McD flag elsewhere. (And before you tell me that I'm a fast food hater, how 'bout you check my log for yesterday and today ... Burger King AND McDonald's there.) It's all about making an informed decision. The OP asked for reasons to NOT eat at McDonalds. She didn't ask for people to come in and support her cravings.
  • shesblossoming
    Options
    Maybe come up with a low calorie option for a McChicken to satiate your hunger? If I really want one, I would go get one, but I'm happy with my healthy and clean alternatives.
  • Zeromilediet
    Zeromilediet Posts: 787 Member
    Options

Nuff said.

"... And eat whatever they want". Seriously, you know how to make that happen and you haven't written a book? You have any idea how many obesity researchers, endocrinologists etc would love to know your secret? Gee, eat whatever I want, and be fit and healthy ... please, please, I urge your to share your secrets!
  • Kalrez
    Kalrez Posts: 655 Member
    Options

Nuff said.

"... And eat whatever they want". Seriously, you know how to make that happen and you haven't written a book? You have any idea how many obesity researchers, endocrinologists etc would love to know your secret? Gee, eat whatever I want, and be fit and healthy ... please, please, I urge your to share your secrets!

The secret isn't all that secret. It's moderation. Moderation coupled with regular exercise allows you room to eat pretty much whatever you want. Maybe not in the volume you may want, but you still could eat whatever you wanted. Granted, if most of us were better at moderation, we wouldn't be overweight in the first place!
  • kaswain
    kaswain Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    Ahhhhh! I have some perfectly nice fish and salad already to have tonight but all I can think about is a McChicken combo ugghhh this happens every single weekend..... can you please help me by giving me a good reason why I should or shouldnt eat that crappy crap food?! Or how I can avoid this nasty weekly craving?
    The consensus is that fast food for many here is "bad" and shouldn't be eaten period. My suggestion: it's not "bad" to have something you like on occasion. In fact research shows that people that eat what they want to eat within reason maintain steadier weight than those that cut out their favorites completely because eventually they will go back.
    Do this. Go with a friend or SO. Split it with them. You save half the caloric value and get to fill the craving.

I like this answer!!! Don't tell yourself you CANT have it because you can, just within reason. If you turn your weekly craving into a once a month thing with a friend that isnt going to hurt you!!
  • giaciccone
    giaciccone Posts: 257
    Options

Nuff said.
    AMEN. THANK YOU.
  • ninerbuff
    Options
    Hopefully they've lost it and kept it off because they had enough common sense to figure out what worked for THEM and didn't trust someone else blindly.
    See them everyday and ALL my clients now are referrals from previous clients.

P.S. if I hired a personal trainer and he told me "I eat McDonald's and so can you! Just restrict your calories!" I would fire him the same day. People want to be healthier - not just lose weight and they are NOT one and the same. I know a lot of thinner, unhealthy people based on their food choices and I do know some heavier people who are healthier than those thin people.
    Goes both ways. I've seen heavy healthy eating people with bad health and people that eat junk (think of Olympic swimmers Michael Phelps and Janet Evans) and are very fit and healthy. And you'd fire me because you don't like me now. People want to be healthier, but people want to live too. I work in a "wine" country and if I told my clients part of their reason they are overweight is because of too much wine and they need to restrict it from their lives, then I wouldn't have clients. If I get you results, regardless of MY EATING CHOICES, that's what being paid for. You're correlating what I eat with how I instruct and motivate..........2 different things.
    Your level of health is not indicated by a number on the scale - and since you claim to be a fitness professional .. YOU should know this! Health goes far deeper than the number you see on the scale. A thin man at my job had a heart attack and died at 44.

His favorite meal at work? A big mac meal. So, thin doesn't equal healthy.
    While not the determining factor of overall health, being overweight is an indicator to why health might be bad. Again I spoke of genetics being the main factor of bad health.
    And unless you did the autopsy and are a coroner, you can't say "the big mac" killed him. He could have had heart disease, angina or died from stress (yes you can get a heart attack from stress). Your statement about the "big mac" is anecdotal.
    Don't like my philosophy then don't like it. I'd rather have people enjoy themselves reasonably, then "stress" out on every single meal they have to eat.
  • ninerbuff
    Options

AMEN. THANK YOU.
    Love haters.
  • lind3400
    lind3400 Posts: 557 Member
    Options
    Lol this post got WAY out of hand I was only questioning whether or not I should have a greasy deep fried meal....not what its full of or where it comes from haha Im a college student I have neither the time nor money to care about the physical make-up of the foods I love....thanks to those who answered my question properly instead of preaching their views on todays animal raising practices....NOW STOP FIGHTING