Brief Rant on Overweight Kids....You've Been Warned....

Options

Replies

• birdlover97111
    birdlover97111 Posts: 346 Member
    Options
    I was always the heaviest in my classes, and at home my older sister and I struggled with our weight, especially when we hit puberty....My classmates were cruel, but my dad was worse...He would call us 'blubber butt' and 'thunder thighs'....Here I am, almost 40 years later and I have NEVER forgotten that and never will....
  • birdlover97111
    birdlover97111 Posts: 346 Member
    Options
    Oh, and let me not forget the worst one..."lard *kitten*"....
  • peanut613
    peanut613 Posts: 438 Member
    Options
    In all honesty I'd rather have my mom calling me fat than telling me I work out to much, and eat like a anorexic.
    Because that nearly hurts more considering I USE to be anorexic and she didn't know, and now that I take the healthier approach she says stuff like that.
    Some kids NEED the hurtful boost to become healthy. I know I've mentioned to my mom about my barely five year old neice being 70 pounds and fat, because the kids family is eating out constantly, and she only behaving for desert and if she doesn't get it she CRIES over it.
    Heaven for bid the kids is always saying"Ketchup is healthy mommy"
    No its not. Educate your kids early, before means kids educate them for you!
    This kid is vain, it wouldn't hurt for her mom to say, next time she is crying over desert, you are heavy i think a peice of chocolate is all you need.Because this kid dresses her self and walks around the house yelling about how pretty she is, and if you don't tell her she is pretty, she cries and whines louder.
    Kids this generation. They are fat, and they are vain.
    I'm 15 and ashamed to be marked into this generaton of kids :/

I've heard several people complaining that people criticize them for being "too thin" even though they are within their healthy window for their height. I'm sorry you battled anorexia but congrats for being healthy about your weight now!

I think the problem lies in parents not knowing or caring what their kids eat. Eating out regularly is just asking for problems. I'm not sure I agree that people should be so blunt and call a child fat, but taking action is smart.

As far as crying over not getting their way, that's a whole other ballgame. Parents these days don't appreciate a good butt whuppin... My daughter is 2, so we are constantly dealing with the "mine" and her just in general not getting her way. Hopefully, she'll soon get the picture that you aren't entitled to snacks, treats, toys, etc. You behave because that's what you're supposed to do. Toys or dessert are for special occasions only... Kids these days need their butts beat like we used to, back in the day LOL
  • peanut613
    Options
    Oh, and let me not forget the worst one..."lard *kitten*"....

That's horrible, I'm sorry to hear that.

This is proof, people, that words last a lifetime. Calling a child fat when they're little won't just go away. If a child is overweight, change their food! Make them ride a bike, not just play Xbox... Don't dare call them such mean names which will kill them...
  • GreenSkinnyJeans
    GreenSkinnyJeans Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    In all honesty I'd rather have my mom calling me fat than telling me I work out to much, and eat like a anorexic.
    Because that nearly hurts more considering I USE to be anorexic and she didn't know, and now that I take the healthier approach she says stuff like that.
    Some kids NEED the hurtful boost to become healthy. I know I've mentioned to my mom about my barely five year old neice being 70 pounds and fat, because the kids family is eating out constantly, and she only behaving for desert and if she doesn't get it she CRIES over it.
    Heaven for bid the kids is always saying"Ketchup is healthy mommy"
    No its not. Educate your kids early, before means kids educate them for you!
    This kid is vain, it wouldn't hurt for her mom to say, next time she is crying over desert, you are heavy i think a peice of chocolate is all you need.Because this kid dresses her self and walks around the house yelling about how pretty she is, and if you don't tell her she is pretty, she cries and whines louder.
    Kids this generation. They are fat, and they are vain.
    I'm 15 and ashamed to be marked into this generaton of kids :/

I've heard several people complaining that people criticize them for being "too thin" even though they are within their healthy window for their height. I'm sorry you battled anorexia but congrats for being healthy about your weight now!

I think the problem lies in parents not knowing or caring what their kids eat. Eating out regularly is just asking for problems. I'm not sure I agree that people should be so blunt and call a child fat, but taking action is smart.

As far as crying over not getting their way, that's a whole other ballgame. Parents these days don't appreciate a good butt whuppin... My daughter is 2, so we are constantly dealing with the "mine" and her just in general not getting her way. Hopefully, she'll soon get the picture that you aren't entitled to snacks, treats, toys, etc. You behave because that's what you're supposed to do. Toys or dessert are for special occasions only... Kids these days need their butts beat like we used to, back in the day LOL
    Exactly! I was spanked as a child, and I sometimes tell my parents maybe they should of smacked me more(Only when they complain about how I'm 'rebeling' Because I'm a vegetarian and dye my hair different colors).
    I have no problem spanking kids. I have baby sat my nephew, and have smacked him Multipul times. Yes the crying makes me feel guilty, but he needs to listen. The nephew is physically punished WAYYY more than the neice ever was, and ever will be. And you know who behaves better? The one year old neice.
    Kids don't understand words as much as they associate pain with "oh i don't want to do this anymore because it hurts."
    LOL this is a bit off topic now, my apoligies. HahaXD
  • LauraJo08
    LauraJo08 Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    To be completely honest, I don't think that shielding your children by not confronting poor dietary habits is a good thing. You have to do it in the correct way. I grew up with a very athletic build, and as long as I was in sports, I was healthy, but on off-season I would "chunk up" a bit, especially during puberty. What did my parents do? Well, at meals or in terms of snacks, they told me that I couldn't eat it because I was prone to being chunky, but my brother and sisters had naturally fast metabolisms and so they could eat whatever they wanted. This hurt, especially because my parents are overweight, so I felt as if I was the only one being picked out as having to watch my weight.

I'm 21 now, and my littlest sister is 11. She is probably built the most similarly to me, (she'll end up around my height, 5'10), and if she liked sports more she'd have quite an athletic build. She's already 5'3.5 at age 11, and her older sister is only 5'4.5 at age 15. The littlest one started hitting puberty/ realizing that her poor eating was making her body less than ideal when we went spring break shopping and she had to buy the same size as the middle sister. She was by no means "fat," but before that our family members would always call her their "skinny minx" and she wasn't that anymore.

My brother started calling her fat, and she didn't feel good in a bikini, and one night, ended up coming to me crying. I sat her down, explained to her that what she eats is reflected in how her body looks, and that it was up to her to decide to put good healthy stuff into her body. I also reinforced that we loved her no matter what she looked like (something I never got as a child).

Anyway, moral of the story, in the last 4-5 months she has really decided that fruits and veggies, etc are better options than chips, soda, and ice cream, and how she looks is reflected in those choices. I think that kids nutrition needs to be reinforced, but not hypocritically, because a fat parent calling a kid fat is ridiculous. BUT, parents do them no favors by telling their kids that they have healthy bodies when they don't, because the rest of the world is going to judge.
  • shelbygeorge29
    shelbygeorge29 Posts: 263 Member
    Options
    I don't have a relatonship with my mother for a variety of reasons, but her constant criticism from the age of 4 until I cut her out of my life about my weight is ingrained into my brain. 9 years ago I lost over 80 pounds and wore a size 6. I will never forget walking down the street feeling great about myself (I looked great, I've got the pics to prove it!) and as my mother and I crossed a street she padded my butt and told me I needed to spend more time at the gym. Never a positive word.

My father just sent me a package of pictures and other childhood momentos. It was a surprise as my house had burned down when I was a teenager so I didn't think any still existed. As I looked through those pictures, I saw that I was maybe 5-10 pounds overweight. Yet my whole life I thought I was this gigantic enormous fat kid. Thanks Mom!

It is important for us all to be mindful of the messages we give to children. It will stay with them forever, even the smallest comment. I remember them all, every last one.
  • peanut613
    Options
    To be completely honest, I don't think that shielding your children by not confronting poor dietary habits is a good thing.

Nobody says "shielding"....it should be addressed, but as the story of your little sister proves, you need to be delicate about it. Name calling will only further hurt the child. Addressing the poor nutrition and lack of exercise is fine, but being mean is inappropriate.
  • Tropical_Turtle
    Tropical_Turtle Posts: 2,236 Member
    Options
    Jaimie Olivers Food Revolution

LOVE LOVE LOVE that show - worth watching!!!
  • peanut613
    Options
    Jaimie Olivers Food Revolution

LOVE LOVE LOVE that show - worth watching!!!

I've caught a few episodes--it's great!
  • ak_in_ak
    ak_in_ak Posts: 657 Member
    Options
    There are definately two sides to beign a fat child. For many kids their parents just don't care. When I was younger my parents tried very hard to help me lose weight, but my attraction to food was so strong I would sneak it! I have also had PCOS since I was very young which did not help things. If the parents don't say cruel things then the kids at school will. I knew I was fat and hated it, but I felt so hopeless about it. I would read magazines and try to do what they said but it did not help. I really don't know what the solution is, but I do know it sucks to be a fat kid.
  • peanut613
    Options
    There are definately two sides to beign a fat child. For many kids their parents just don't care. When I was younger my parents tried very hard to help me lose weight, but my attraction to food was so strong I would sneak it! I have also had PCOS since I was very young which did not help things. If the parents don't say cruel things then the kids at school will. I knew I was fat and hated it, but I felt so hopeless about it. I would read magazines and try to do what they said but it did not help. I really don't know what the solution is, but I do know it sucks to be a fat kid.

My childhood friend has pcos and a gluten allergy. combined, she had weight problems all thru college. her dr was able to give her a diet plan that got her back on track. sometimes there are legitimate reasons for a person (child or otherwise) to be heavy. even if the issues need to be addressed, being teased doesn't help.
  • Qarol
    Qarol Posts: 6,171 Member
    Options
    That wasn't exactly brief...but I agree
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,695 Member
    Options
    So I've read on the forums a few times where people discuss childhood obesity. Yes, it's a big problem in our country.

BUT, I hate hearing people call kids fat, porkers, etc. Yes, children need to be educated on eating better, school meals should be healthier, and parents need to be more aware of what they feed their children. But what about the emotional damage these kids go through hearing people call them fat? It's bad enough that other kids at school will teast them. But I've seen parents on this site and others calling their children fat! What the heck is going on with people?!

When I was in middle school, I hit that growth spurt where your height and weight don't match and I was short and fat. Eventually my height spurted too, but at the time I was a chunky girl. I overheard my grandparents, who I loved dearly, talking to my parents about my weight. It crushed me. Now that I'm a mother, I am very protective of my daughter. My mother in law said my daughter was chunky and I flipped out! She was about a year old at the time and has always been at the top of the charts in height and weight, but they're porportional. She's in the 117th percentile for her height for crying out loud! (My husband is 6'6" so she gets it from him, not shortie me lol).

I just hate when parents and grandparents are so negative of children. I'm not saying their health isn't important by any means. They NEED to be eating well and exercising. But to the parents who have called their children fat, plump, chunky, chubby, etc or who condone others saying those things, you should be ashamed of yourselves! We need a POSITIVE attitude if we expect to change childhood obesity without crushing childrens' self esteem...

End rant.
    Kids are ruthless when it comes to teasing, but parents doing it can totally ruin a child. Let's look at some facts: most obese kids are obese because their parents are. And as of late, fat adults were fat kids. So if they were a fat kid and being teased, and it affected their emotions, why would they let their kid go through that? Kids eat what's in front of them so parents need make better decisions on portions (they can still get fat eating healthy food) and making sure that they get some physical activity in. If they are making negative comments about their kid, they need to realize that they're that way because of them. Old say "fish stinks at the head".
  • AudgePaudge
    AudgePaudge Posts: 537 Member
    Options
    Kids these days need their butts beat like we used to, back in the day LOL

AGREED!! Parents need to step up and start disciplining their kids. Some of them are just so mean to each other these days, and they don't know how to respect people. I understand it's scary doing that these days in fear of having your children taken away. I only spank my kids when it's necessary, and I never ever do it in anger! "Spare the rod, spoil the child"
  • candb
    candb Posts: 238
    Options
    So I've read on the forums a few times where people discuss childhood obesity. Yes, it's a big problem in our country.

BUT, I hate hearing people call kids fat, porkers, etc. Yes, children need to be educated on eating better, school meals should be healthier, and parents need to be more aware of what they feed their children. But what about the emotional damage these kids go through hearing people call them fat? It's bad enough that other kids at school will teast them. But I've seen parents on this site and others calling their children fat! What the heck is going on with people?!

When I was in middle school, I hit that growth spurt where your height and weight don't match and I was short and fat. Eventually my height spurted too, but at the time I was a chunky girl. I overheard my grandparents, who I loved dearly, talking to my parents about my weight. It crushed me. Now that I'm a mother, I am very protective of my daughter. My mother in law said my daughter was chunky and I flipped out! She was about a year old at the time and has always been at the top of the charts in height and weight, but they're porportional. She's in the 117th percentile for her height for crying out loud! (My husband is 6'6" so she gets it from him, not shortie me lol).

I just hate when parents and grandparents are so negative of children. I'm not saying their health isn't important by any means. They NEED to be eating well and exercising. But to the parents who have called their children fat, plump, chunky, chubby, etc or who condone others saying those things, you should be ashamed of yourselves! We need a POSITIVE attitude if we expect to change childhood obesity without crushing childrens' self esteem...

End rant.

:::APPLAUSE:::
  • Qarol
    Qarol Posts: 6,171 Member
    Options
    Kids these days need their butts beat like we used to, back in the day LOL
    AGREED!! Parents need to step up and start disciplining their kids. Some of them are just so mean to each other these days, and they don't know how to respect people. I understand it's scary doing that these days in fear of having your children taken away. I only spank my kids when it's necessary, and I never ever do it in anger! "Spare the rod, spoil the child"
    Just not with a belt. Nothing scared me more than my father telling me to go to my room and lean over the bed. I think it was a bit psychological. I'd have to wait in fear until he got around to coming to my room, then he'd use his huge leather belt to whack me a few times. And it HURT! When I was 11 or 12, he told me I was now too old to be spanked. I cried in my room b/c I was so happy.
  • inlander
    inlander Posts: 339 Member
    Options
    I totally agree with you. I was an overweight kid and if I had heard adults saying demeaning things about heavier children, I would be crushed. My dad actually commented about my weight a few times and I still remember his hurtful comments to this day. I still consider those remarks partially responsible for my disordered eating as a 12+ year old. The worst part is, my parents weren't even good food role models. My mother was overweight and my dad could eat whatever he wanted without gaining weight. I hope to be in a position where I can be a great role model for my own children one day (if I have any), but mostly I will teach them tolerance for others regardless of their size. It's not our place to say anything derogatory about how other people look.

ALSO - my inlaws are terrible. My brother in law is super obese and his daughter is 9 and wears a women's size 14. They are constantly talking about food/her needing to lose weight but they don't eat healthy. DRIVES ME NUTS. If you want to help a kid lose weight/be healthy, you need to set a good example for them!
  • sdgirl22
    sdgirl22 Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    On the topic but not necessarily a reply to OP's post - wouldn't the only absolute way to prevent your child from becoming overweight be to count their calorie intake (which would also take the assumption that the parent is cognizant of everything their child eats).

Also, yes, you keep healthy food in the house and you teach them good habits, but we all know that the brain is hardwired to crave fats. Biology's a *****. So even if you raised your child to have spectacular eating habits, they're going to eat fatty foods when presented with them, at least until they've mastered reasoning skills in their teens.

agree... disagree?
  • peanut613
    Options
    "Spare the rod, spoil the child"

Amen. I spank my toddler but ONLY after telling her no several times and using time out. It's not out of anger, it's usually not even hard... and it's on her very padded diaper bum. So many people are quick to turn you over for child abuse. There is a HUGE difference in abuse and discipline. I was spanked growing up, but not often. I cried after being verbally scolded...but knowing my parents WOULD discipline me without hesitation kept me from acting out many a time...