I'll just be honest...

Options
2»

Replies

• Heather75
    Heather75 Posts: 3,386 Member
    Options
    Anyway, OP, you will find that the people here are mostly concerned about others making healthy choices. You don't have to do it in an unhealthy way. If you pay attention and ask questions, you will see how easy it is.
  • Buddhaboy
    Buddhaboy Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    I'm more then half way to my goal
    But if your like me you reaching a goal becomes a passion
    This last 30 lbs is the 30 lbs I've wanted to lose since My collage days
    No more excuses for me, I'm getting there,
    I say you take it all off and reach your goal!!!

Which brings up an interesting question...
    Of all the people who diet, how many actually meet and maintain their goal?
  • Erindipitous
    Erindipitous Posts: 1,234 Member
    Options
    My first food diary on here had over 2000 calories for one meal. I knew what i was eating was bad and i was very depressed about my weight gain but i just didn't have the motivation to do anything about it. I even saw a councillor to help me which did no good either, i was just stuck and couldn't pull myself out. My 3rd day on this site i ate so healthy and finished the day under my calories. I have been so happy and keeping on track ever since. I lost 2.6 kg which is about 6 lbs in my first weigh in and i have this site to thank. I understand what all of you are saying when being negative but it really doesn't help someone who is in this situation. In fact i've never heard negativity getting anyone ahead. After a while of seeing everyone doing so well this person will get the motivation to do things right just like i did.

Not to be a jerk, but "I'm going to get rid of it. And I probably won't be all that healthy about it. I know some will tell me I have to be healthy and blahblah. I've heard it more than enough times. but, I know how I can be. and I know I won't always eat enough or even the right things." doesn't sound like someone seeking motivation. Sounds like she wants us to support her unhealthy ways. If she wanted motivation and guidance, she'd ask.
  • Abbzzz
    Abbzzz Posts: 49
    Options
    My first food diary on here had over 2000 calories for one meal. I knew what i was eating was bad and i was very depressed about my weight gain but i just didn't have the motivation to do anything about it. I even saw a councillor to help me which did no good either, i was just stuck and couldn't pull myself out. My 3rd day on this site i ate so healthy and finished the day under my calories. I have been so happy and keeping on track ever since. I lost 2.6 kg which is about 6 lbs in my first weigh in and i have this site to thank. I understand what all of you are saying when being negative but it really doesn't help someone who is in this situation. In fact i've never heard negativity getting anyone ahead. After a while of seeing everyone doing so well this person will get the motivation to do things right just like i did.

Not to be a jerk, but "I'm going to get rid of it. And I probably won't be all that healthy about it. I know some will tell me I have to be healthy and blahblah. I've heard it more than enough times. but, I know how I can be. and I know I won't always eat enough or even the right things." doesn't sound like someone seeking motivation. Sounds like she wants us to support her unhealthy ways. If she wanted motivation and guidance, she'd ask.

Neither was i. I joined this site after a friend harrassed me for weeks. I had no intention of changing, i believed i couldn't and i believed this site was a pile of crap. Only 3 days later I changed completly. I watched people post their excersise and so i started excersising too. I was completly proven wrong. Also, this is this persons first post on here, the judgmental attitudes are a horrible welcome. Really either add the person or don't it's that easy. You don't have to make them feel so bad about what they are doing that they go straight to their favorite fast food joint and eat everything on the menu.
  • kandrews24
    kandrews24 Posts: 610 Member
    Options
    I appreciate your honesty and your willingness to get out there, but you're unlikely to find many folks who want to support you, primarily because losing weight is tough and so many of us have been at it for a while. We've tried lots of things (some that worked and some that didn't) and most of the MFP community is interested in the long haul and building relationships that are mutually supportive. I depend upon my MFP friends a LOT. I know you said that you'd support others in their goals (and that is great and I'm sure you will), but most folks here are wanting more than that, like somethings in common and some upbeat energy.

I swim. My kids swim. I love and admire swimming, so we have that in common. I know when you've been an athlete and then you stop, you have to change how you eat (for life) or else you balloon out (for life). Sounds like you've got the post athlete blues as well as the fact that you're maturing (and possibly your metabolism is slowing down as you are now an adult, and no longer a kid). My son is a nationally ranked athlete and we've seen numerous folks in your situation. My weight gain is not like that at all. I'm just a middle aged person, who sits at a desk all day, and eats more than my body needs. I don't have any glamorous reasons why I am obese.

Anyway, it appears that you've received mixed feedback and some negativity and I'm sorry about that, because MFP is a fabulous and supportive community (more than anything else). I think you have to decide though, if it is right for you. Take some time and read other posts in the community and try to get a feel for the general themes.

You may find some friends here, maybe folks near your age, that can relate to you and want to be friends. Do some searches for teens and under 20 groups.

I'm willing to be friends and see how it goes, but if folks aren't serious or they are too negative or they aren't mutually supportive, then I drop them. I don't want to be rude or mean, I just don't want anything bringing me down. This journey is too important to me. I've worked too hard.

Again, I appreciate your honesty and blunt introduction. I'm an honest and blunt person as well. Nevertheless, I am here to be healthy and attractive, etc. and I want my friends to share those common goals so that we can better help each other.
  • McKayMachina
    McKayMachina Posts: 2,670 Member
    Options

Ignore the forum post if you don't support it because this person won't enjoy nor follow your negative replies and you know that yourself.

No. It's important to voice opposition. Otherwise it's just a big, fat circlejerk and no one is ever exposed to alternate views. Differing opinions and new information are pivotal for progress.
  • Suzay
    Suzay Posts: 60
    Options

Ignore the forum post if you don't support it because this person won't enjoy nor follow your negative replies and you know that yourself.

No. It's important to voice opposition. Otherwise it's just a big, fat circlejerk and no one is ever exposed to alternate views. Differing opinions and new information are pivotal for progress.

You seriously think the person who originally made this forum post got advice from the negative crap? Do you really think they thought "Oh this person is giving me a hard time and saying they aren't supporting me, wow! I guess I'll eat healthy and exercise now!!!!!!!!" Lol I think if someone replied with a detailed, graphic and thorough paragraph or two about how to lose weight and how good it feels doing it properly then they maybe would have considered it.
  • Ajontheguitar
    Options

Not to be a jerk yet you've been nothing but one the past two posts I've seen? Trolololol.

Agreed. If it were easy everyone would be doing it WITHOUT support systems and people who hold you accountable. If I could cure obesity with sunshine and fairy castles, I'd be singing Mary Poppins with a blowhorn sticking out of my...
  • Heather75
    Heather75 Posts: 3,386 Member
    Options
    How about none of you reply negatively and stay away from this forum post? Or maybe attempt to be a good being and add this guy and talk to him thoroughly about making these choices?

There's far too many negative *****y men and woman on this site.

She's a girl, btw.

I said men and women, btw.

You said "Or maybe attempt to be a good being and add this guy and talk to him thoroughly about making these choices?"

And the one thing you decided to do was point out it's a female? Hm, smart. How did that run through your head at that moment in time to say that?
    Well, because the OP is female and you called her male. Most people don't like that. I was giving you the opportunity to correct your error. You're welcome!

One more thing - few people enjoy being referred to as "it". The correct pronoun would have been "she". Smart, hm?
  • TDGee
    TDGee Posts: 2,209 Member
    Options
    What I've seen is attention seeking behavior...
This discussion has been closed.