Clean Eating Club ~ Dec. 3-7

Options
I'm going to create this thread weekly from now on, beginning on Mondays.

This "club" is for anyone who wants to eat five or six times per day and eat "clean" foods. This is a diet of bodybuilders, but you don't have to be a bodybuilder to reap its benefits! Let's support each other in the quest to eat well, feel satisfied all the time, eliminate cravings, feed our muscles, burn fat, and get leaner. Anyone is welcome to join. You don't have to follow the diet perfectly, but it's easier than you might think! Feel free to add your own tips or recipes. Tell us how you eat. Ask questions. How is clean eating helping you or changing your life?
________
What is clean eating?

In a nutshell, eating clean is the practice of eating whole, natural foods such as fruits, vegetables, lean proteins, and complex carbohydrates. It also means staying away from the junk that typically makes up the Standard American Diet (S.A.D) These types of food include man-made sugar, bad fats (hydrogenated, trans-fat), preservatives, white bread, and any other ingredients that are unnecessary. An easy way to remember if a food is clean is: If man made it, don’t eat it. Take the "one ingredient" challenge and try to buy as many foods as possible that contain just one ingredient.

A person who eats clean:

* Eats 5 to 6 small meals per day
* Eats every 2 to 3 hours
* Eats whole foods
* Eliminates refined sugar and processed foods
* Combines lean proteins with complex carbohydrates at every meal
* Eats healthy fats
* Drinks lots of water
* Eliminates alcoholic beverages (another kind of sugar)
* Never skips a meal, especially breakfast
* Sticks to reasonable portion sizes
* Carries a supply of healthy foods when away from home
* Makes healthy choices when dining out.

~Adapted from http://www.eatingcleanworks.com and the Eat-Clean Diet books by Tosca Reno

Replies

• cherapple
    cherapple Posts: 670 Member
    Options
    I'm going to create this thread weekly from now on, beginning on Mondays.

This "club" is for anyone who wants to eat five or six times per day and eat "clean" foods. This is a diet of bodybuilders, but you don't have to be a bodybuilder to reap its benefits! Let's support each other in the quest to eat well, feel satisfied all the time, eliminate cravings, feed our muscles, burn fat, and get leaner. Anyone is welcome to join. You don't have to follow the diet perfectly, but it's easier than you might think! Feel free to add your own tips or recipes. Tell us how you eat. Ask questions. How is clean eating helping you or changing your life?
    ________
    What is clean eating?

In a nutshell, eating clean is the practice of eating whole, natural foods such as fruits, vegetables, lean proteins, and complex carbohydrates. It also means staying away from the junk that typically makes up the Standard American Diet (S.A.D) These types of food include man-made sugar, bad fats (hydrogenated, trans-fat), preservatives, white bread, and any other ingredients that are unnecessary. An easy way to remember if a food is clean is: If man made it, don’t eat it. Take the "one ingredient" challenge and try to buy as many foods as possible that contain just one ingredient.

A person who eats clean:

* Eats 5 to 6 small meals per day
    * Eats every 2 to 3 hours
    * Eats whole foods
    * Eliminates refined sugar and processed foods
    * Combines lean proteins with complex carbohydrates at every meal
    * Eats healthy fats
    * Drinks lots of water
    * Eliminates alcoholic beverages (another kind of sugar)
    * Never skips a meal, especially breakfast
    * Sticks to reasonable portion sizes
    * Carries a supply of healthy foods when away from home
    * Makes healthy choices when dining out.

~Adapted from http://www.eatingcleanworks.com and the Eat-Clean Diet books by Tosca Reno
  • cherapple
    Options
    Yogurt Cheese

Here's a recipe that I've been wanting to try. Yogurt can be made into a healthy cheese with a sour cream or cream cheese consistency.

Place 2 cups of natural or organic low-fat plain yogurt* in a colander lined with two layers of cheesecloth. Place the colander over a large bowl to catch the liquid that drips out of the yogurt. Place this set-up in the refrigerator and let stand overnight. Discard the liquid in the bowl and you are left with one cup of rich, creamy yogurt cheese. (Keeps for one week in the refrigerator.)

Strain for:
    ~ 4 to 6 hours for a sour cream consistency
    ~ 8 to 12 hours for a semi-solid cheese
    ~ 24 hours for a cream cheese consistency

*Use a yogurt that doesn't contain a binding agent, or it will not separate well.

Yogurt Cheese Dip

1 cup yogurt cheese
    2 cloves garlic, passed through a garlic pressed
    1/2 cup fresh basil (much less if dried)
    2 Tbs fresh green onion
    1 tsp dried oregano
    1/2 tsp sea salt
    Freshly ground black pepper

Mix well. Serve with raw veggies.

Source: The Eat-Clean Diet for Family & Kids, by Tosca Reno
  • shar140
    shar140 Posts: 1,158 Member
    Options
    Yogurt Cheese

Here's a recipe that I've been wanting to try. Yogurt can be made into a healthy cheese with a sour cream or cream cheese consistency.

Place 2 cups of natural or organic low-fat plain yogurt* in a colander lined with two layers of cheesecloth. Place the colander over a large bowl to catch the liquid that drips out of the yogurt. Place this set-up in the refrigerator and let stand overnight. Discard the liquid in the bowl and you are left with one cup of rich, creamy yogurt cheese. (Keeps for one week in the refrigerator.)

Strain for:

*Use a yogurt that doesn't contain a binding agent, or it will not separate well.

Yogurt Cheese Dip

1 cup yogurt cheese
    2 cloves garlic, passed through a garlic pressed
    1/2 cup fresh basil (much less if dried)
    2 Tbs fresh green onion
    1 tsp dried oregano
    1/2 tsp sea salt
    Freshly ground black pepper

Mix well. Serve with raw veggies.

Source: The Eat-Clean Diet for Family & Kids, by Tosca Reno

What are some examples of "binding agents"? I've tried straining plain yogurt before, and mine takes a LOT longer than the times you have above! This might be the reason...

I've also used coffee filters in the past, rather than cheesecloth. Not necessarily the most eco-friendly, but it works if you don't have any cheesecloth!
  • cherapple
    Options
    What are some examples of "binding agents"? I've tried straining plain yogurt before, and mine takes a LOT longer than the times you have above! This might be the reason...

I've also used coffee filters in the past, rather than cheesecloth. Not necessarily the most eco-friendly, but it works if you don't have any cheesecloth!

I think most yogurts contain gelatin or something like that to give them a thicker, more pudding-like consistency. I don't know exactly because I use Stonyfield Farms organic yogurt. I haven't tried straining it yet. I was thinking I'd have to wait until I got some cheesecloth, but maybe I'll try a small amount with a coffee filter. Thanks for the idea! :flowerforyou:
  • shar140
    Options
    I think most yogurts contain gelatin or something like that to give them a thicker, more pudding-like consistency. I don't know exactly because I use Stonyfield Farms organic yogurt. I haven't tried straining it yet. I was thinking I'd have to wait until I got some cheesecloth, but maybe I'll try a small amount with a coffee filter. Thanks for the idea! :flowerforyou:

You might want to double or triple the coffee filters...I know it took at least two for me, but I think I strained a whole container at once.

Good luck! :smile:
  • jessmomof3
    jessmomof3 Posts: 4,590 Member
    Options
    Yogurt Cheese

Strain for:

This is what I do!! I use either Dannon Nonfat plain or the Meijer Nonfat plain yogurt. I use a strainer and 2 coffee filters. I just let it sit for about 3 hrs in the fridge, then toss out the liquid and put the yogurt back in the container. YUMMY and much creamier!! I can't handle eating regular yogurt anymore!

Jess
  • jessmomof3
    jessmomof3 Posts: 4,590 Member
    Options
    Good idea to make it a weekly thread!

Ran 4.25 miles this AM.

Post-run:
    1/2 c. multi grain hot cereal
    1/4 c. Fiber One
    1/2 scoop choc. protein powder
    1 T. NM PB, 1 T. flax, 1 T. wheat germ
    1/2 c. cottage cheese
    Pomegranate seeds (one the side, I didn't add this to my oatmeal!)

Off to do more Christmas shopping!!

Jess
  • cherapple
    Options
    This is what I do!! I use either Dannon Nonfat plain or the Meijer Nonfat plain yogurt. I use a strainer and 2 coffee filters. I just let it sit for about 3 hrs in the fridge, then toss out the liquid and put the yogurt back in the container. YUMMY and much creamier!! I can't handle eating regular yogurt anymore!

Jess

How do you measure the calories afterward?
  • cherapple
    Options
    Pomegranate seeds (one the side, I didn't add this to my oatmeal!)

Off to do more Christmas shopping!!

Jess

Yum, pomegranate seeds! We just discovered those in our family.

I am sooooo behind in my Christmas shopping this year! :embarassed: I don't think I've ever procrastinated so long. I'll be one of those stressed out mall shoppers on Christmas Eve. :grumble: :laugh:
  • cherapple
    Options
    Breakfast:
    1/2 dry oatmeal, cooked
    1 large apple
    1/4 cup skim milk
    1/4 cup liquid egg whites
    1 Tbs. milled flax seed
    Stevia

Snack:
    1/2 cup lowfat plain yogurt
    1/4 cup lowfat cottage cheese
    14 almonds
    1/2 cup green grapes
    Stevia
  • cherapple
    Options
    Lunch:
    Whole wheat tortilla
    2 slices turkey*
    Spinach leaves
    1 Tbs. hommus
    An orange

Still hungry:
    1 multigrain rice cake
    1 Tbs. peanut butter
    1 cup skim milk
    1 Tbs. unsweetened cocoa powder
    Stevia

*Little did I realize the turkey had added sugar. :sad: Maybe that's why I was still hungry when I was done eating it. :huh:

It's also PMS time. I'm just going to eat when I'm hungry this week, as long as my foods are healthy, and not worry too much about calories, since I only have about one meal's worth of calories left today and it's only 1:45. I've eaten all my carbs and fat for the day, and half of my protein and calcium. Hmmm. Milk and turkey burgers for dinner? :tongue:

Oh, and for exercise I did an upper body and abs strength workout.
  • shar140
    Options
    Breakfast: (basically like my own egg mcmuffin, but healthier and cheaper!)
    2 eggs
    1 whole wheat english muffin
    2 slices ham
    1 slice reduced fat cheese

Snack:
    my morning hot green tea - honey ginseng, yum :drinker:
    1 orange
    small handful mixed nuts

Lunch:
    1 whole wheat hamburger bun (I :heart: aunt millie's - no HFCS, no trans fats, and whole grains)
    3 slices turkey
    4 pickle slices
    mustard
    cucumber, tomato, & onion salad w/ rice vinegar and a tsp of olive oil

Upcoming snack (need to go get it from the fridge):
    1/2 c. lowfat cottage cheese, with peaches

Dinner:
    beef roast (currently in the crock pot at home!), cooked with mushrooms, and 98% FF cream of mushroom soup & brown gravy mix (not clean, I know)
    whole wheat yolk free egg noodles
    green beans

Last snack:
    1 c. 1% milk

I try to eat clean as much as possible, but I know that 100% is probably not realistic for me. However, if I can do it maybe 85% of the time, I feel TONS better - physically, mentally.

Oh, and will be heading to the gym after work for some cardio. Stair master, here I come!
  • cherapple
    Options
    Snack:
    Banana
    1 piece whole wheat bread
    1 Tbs. PB

Dinner:
    Turkey burger from Eat-Clean Diet Family & Kids
    Whole grain English muffin
    1 tsp. Drew's smoked tomato dressing
    1/2 cup frozen corn
    1 cup skim milk

I'm over 285 calories for the day (maintenance level). Not bad, considering that I felt like I ate too much for lunch. :ohwell: I was still hungry after eating my meal, and instead of eating more, I should have waited until my food settled, or had a big glass of water. (I still don't drink enough water.) I probably would have been fine.

Until tomorrow!.... :heart: :flowerforyou:
  • arewethereyet
    arewethereyet Posts: 18,702 Member
    Options
    I just dropped in to see what y'all eat. I am proud to say I eat much the same, so I will come by to pick up new ideas.

like Aunt millies ww hamburger buns! will look for them tomorrow!

night:flowerforyou:
  • shar140
    Options
    I just dropped in to see what y'all eat. I am proud to say I eat much the same, so I will come by to pick up new ideas.

like Aunt millies ww hamburger buns! will look for them tomorrow!

night:flowerforyou:

I buy Aunt Millie's WW/whole grain english muffins, breads, hot dog buns, hamburger buns....they can be hard to find in some places so I buy a bunch and keep them in my freezer. They have a bakery outlet store in Indianapolis (SUPER CHEAP!), so when I am there I stock up! :wink:
  • cherapple
    Options
    Here's a great clean recipe that came in my Runner's World newsletter this morning:

Chicken with Quinoa Tabbouleh

Quinoa is a whole grain that's rich in carbohydrates and is as easily prepared as rice. One cup of raw quinoa is equivalent to about three cups cooked.

4 boneless, skinless chicken breast halves, grilled and thinly sliced

For the Quinoa Tabbouleh
    3 cups cooked quinoa, at room temperature
    1/2 cup cucumber, diced with skin on
    1/4 cup red bell pepper, diced
    2 tablespoons fresh flat-leaf parsley, chopped
    2 teaspoons fresh mint, chopped
    2 tablespoons olive oil
    1 tablespoon freshly squeezed lemon juice
    2 tablespoons red onion, minced
    1 1/2 tablespoons sherry vinegar
    1/2 teaspoon Kosher salt
    1/8 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper

For the Parsley Vinaigrette
    2 tablespoons freshly squeezed lemon juice
    1 1/2 tablespoons water
    1 tablespoon olive oil
    2 1/2 tablespoons flat-leaf parsley, finely chopped
    Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper

Tabbouleh -- In a large bowl, combine the quinoa, cucumber, bell pepper, parsley, mint, olive oil, lemon juice, red onion, and vinegar. Toss to mix. Season with salt and pepper.

Vinaigrette -- Whisk together the lemon juice and water. Whisk in the olive oil, and then stir in the parsley. Season with salt and pepper.

Plate It -- Divide the quinoa into four dishes or containers and top with the chicken. Drizzle with the vinaigrette. Serves four.

Calories Per Serving: 410
    Carbs: 32 g
    Protein: 33 g
    Fat: 16 g

Source: http://www.runnersworld.com/article/0,7120,s6-242-303-309-12949-0,00.html
  • cherapple
    Options
    I just finished the book Sugar Shock!, by Connie Bennett last night. Even after I've seen positive changes in my health, I'm still astounded (shocked!) at the sheer number of symptoms and health problems that sugar and processed foods are creating in the bodies of millions of people! :noway:

What do you do when you see nearly everyone else around you driving themselves to an early grave? My grandmother just had a two-week hospital stay due to diabetes complications and is getting to a point where she can no longer care for herself. My mother is hypoglycemic and eats sugar like it's crack. She has a long list of health problems, too, and one of them is going to do her in, and I'll be caring for her when it does. :cry:

I guess all we can do is be a living example of health :flowerforyou: and learn to let go of other people's choices.... :heart: Even our children and our spouses have to learn to make their own choices, but it's not easy to watch. :ohwell:
  • shar140
    Options
    Cheryl, it is hard to watch the people you care about not making healthier choices. Diabetes runs in my family as well, along with heart disease, etc. But they still eat all kinds of processed foods! Fortunately my dad is doing a *little* better, because he has to take insulin shots now - which means he has to count his carbs (dosage is based on carb intake). Still eating processed crap sometimes, but occasionally also making heathier choices (nuts or fruits or cheeses rather than potato chips). It's a step in the right direction, at least.
  • shar140
    Options
    Does anyone know of a "clean" (or cleaner?) alternative to sports drinks like Gatorade? It wasn't so bad before they added HFCS to the formula a few years ago (at least the powdered mix doesn't contain HFCS...yet). When I am doing heavy cardio or exercise outdoors in the summer heat, I do need it.

I've seen a recipe to make your own from OJ, water, & salt....but that would limit my flavors to just orange! Plus...I'd have to keep it cold then, I'd think? (hard to do when you're walking in 90+ degree heat for long periods!)
  • cherapple
    Options
    Does anyone know of a "clean" (or cleaner?) alternative to sports drinks like Gatorade? It wasn't so bad before they added HFCS to the formula a few years ago (at least the powdered mix doesn't contain HFCS...yet). When I am doing heavy cardio or exercise outdoors in the summer heat, I do need it.

I've seen a recipe to make your own from OJ, water, & salt....but that would limit my flavors to just orange! Plus...I'd have to keep it cold then, I'd think? (hard to do when you're walking in 90+ degree heat for long periods!)

I just drink water, so I can't help you there. I even see juice as a big sugar-shock to the system. I don't drink it anymore, not even orange.