Do You Drink Cows Milk?

Options

Replies

• Seajolly
    Seajolly Posts: 1,435 Member
    Options
    I will have dairy yogurt and cheese, but pretty much only drink vegan milks these days, such as hemp, rice, soy, coconut, and almond.
  • veganbaum
    veganbaum Posts: 1,865 Member
    Options
    Myths vs facts about dairy farming: (click on the tabs)

http://www.dairyfarmingtoday.org/Learn-More/MythsvsFacts/Pages/MythvsFact.aspx

Really? I mean, consider the source - this site is created by dairy farmers. What do you think their agenda is?

No I don't drink cow's milk - for the simple fact that I am an adult human and not a baby cow. I wouldn't drink another human's breast milk regularly - why would I drink another species'?
  • Quiltmania
    Options
    Don't believe everything you read on the internet. Especially when you look at the credentials, or in the case of the site that the OP posted, the lack of credentials of the person or organization putting out the info. I know several people who farm or raise animals and I am getting tired of these folks being treated like they are somehow in league with the Devil.
  • Quiltmania
    Options

Really? I mean, consider the source - this site is created by dairy farmers. What do you think their agenda is?

No I don't drink cow's milk - for the simple fact that I am an adult human and not a baby cow. I wouldn't drink another human's breast milk regularly - why would I drink another species'?

And consider the source of the OP's article. What do you think the agenda is there?
  • change_happens
    Options
    Don't know what's going to kill me first...dairy, meat, artificial sweeteners, drinking, non-organic food, or sodium...

so true... so true....
  • veganbaum
    Options

And consider the source of the OP's article. What do you think the agenda is there?

One should ALWAYS look at the source of information. And if you look at the article, the writer gives alternatives to drinking conventional cow's milk - yes, he mentions plant mylks - but he ALSO suggests to at least get your cow's milk from a local farmer or at least buy organic free range milk, so it's not like he's saying "never drink cow's milk - it's evil." He points out what is in conventional cow's milk that can make it dangerous, but gives alternatives to the conventional for continuing to drink cow's milk. The options he suggests (local or at least organic free range) are generally better for a person's health than conventional, are better for planetary health, and are better for cows' health and well-being. If you can still have your milk and do all these good things, seems like it's something to seriously consider.
  • Pangui
    Pangui Posts: 373 Member
    Options
    Don't believe everything you read on the internet. Especially when you look at the credentials, or in the case of the site that the OP posted, the lack of credentials of the person or organization putting out the info. I know several people who farm or raise animals and I am getting tired of these folks being treated like they are somehow in league with the Devil.

I live in a farm community. In fact, there are probably 3 mega-dairies within a 15 mile radius of my home. Ironically, I also happen to live in the middle of almond country. Farmers are hard-working good people just like most professions. No one is blaming the farmer. I just think that people should take the initiative to learn more about the food products they consume. And I don't mean just by surfing on the internet. There is so much crazy stuff out there, that it is truly hard to form an educated opinion.

I am referring to scientific studies performed by esteemed doctors and scientists, studies that have been repeated in laboratory conditions by people who were not seeking a specific outcome, only the truth. Yes, a lot of the stuff out there is scare tactics. As an engineer, I am looking for data, numbers and facts. Consumption of milk is linked to cancer growth promotion, early onset of puberty, osteoporosis, allergies, auto-immune diseases and more.

Since I stopped consuming dairy products in June, I have lost my urges to binge (I think I had a cheese addiction), my BP and cholesterol have dropped, and my seasonal allergies (during August) are non-existent for the first time in a decade. The quality of life for our entire family has improved considerably. I am not telling anyone else what to do, but it doesn't hurt to do your research and then make your own educated conclusions.
  • veganbaum
    Options

I live in a farm community. In fact, there are probably 3 mega-dairies within a 15 mile radius of my home. Ironically, I also happen to live in the middle of almond country. Farmers are hard-working good people just like most professions. No one is blaming the farmer. I just think that people should take the initiative to learn more about the food products they consume. And I don't mean just by surfing on the internet. There is so much crazy stuff out there, that it is truly hard to form an educated opinion.

I am referring to scientific studies performed by esteemed doctors and scientists, studies that have been repeated in laboratory conditions by people who were not seeking a specific outcome, only the truth. Yes, a lot of the stuff out there is scare tactics. As an engineer, I am looking for data, numbers and facts. Consumption of milk is linked to cancer growth promotion, early onset of puberty, osteoporosis, allergies, auto-immune diseases and more.

Since I stopped consuming dairy products in June, I have lost my urges to binge (I think I had a cheese addiction), my BP and cholesterol have dropped, and my seasonal allergies (during August) are non-existent for the first time in a decade. The quality of life for our entire family has improved considerably. I am not telling anyone else what to do, but it doesn't hurt to do your research and then make your own educated conclusions.

I've met several people who thought they would never give up dairy, but tried it for various reasons and had similar results. One woman's son stopped getting ear infections, another woman's acne cleared up, I know a couple of people who were consistently congested and discovered it was from cow's milk. You do never know, sometimes taking away a common allergen for a while can lead to a better quality of life that you didn't know you were missing.
  • milehighcritic
    Options
    I could never cut milk out of my diet no matter what someone says in an article. I enjoy ice cold milk. I have cut down on the amount consumed. I drink about 8 oz a day of fat free milk. I have tried soy and almond milk but to me it taste like wallpaper paste.
  • 1goodymom67
    Options
    nope not a big fan. I drink soy sometimes I eat cheese but I have to be in the mood for it.
  • shannon877
    shannon877 Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    I've been lactose intolerant my entire life. I hate the feeling I get when I would eat pizza or have a bit of ice cream. I tried to replace these things with soy. For the past 2 1/2 months, I've been eating paleo. And I've never felt better. Replaced the soy milk with almond milk, and made coconut milk ice cream.

When my bf has stomach problems, it's usually after eating cereal & cow milk. He's hesitant to quit grains, but he sees how much worse he is after the cow's milk.

In my opinion, cow milk is for baby cows.
  • ladybg81
    ladybg81 Posts: 1,553 Member
    Options
    I am too much of a milk fan to NOT drink it....I try to drink organic fat free cows milk...but just because someone tells me that it is bad for me...doesnt mean that I am going to stop..

I hate to say it, but they have something bad in almost EVERYTHING. There were studies done that said Soy milk and hot dogs cause cancer! SO really it is just what types of risks you are willing to take and what you are willing to believe or not believe. I am sure that there are some kinds of harmful things in cows milk, but I have been drinking it since I was a tiny child and have NEVER had any issues with it, whether health wise or digestionally...so I think that it is all a matter of someones choices and opinions.... :)

Exactly!!! Everything causes cancer and everything is going to kill you so I just eat what I like because I know I am going to die anyway!
  • shannon877
    Options

Exactly!!! Everything causes cancer and everything is going to kill you so I just eat what I like because I know I am going to die anyway!

I want to be an example for my daughter.
    I also choose not to smoke or do drugs.
    Even though they "cause cancer" and "will kill you."
    If I had the attitude of "I know I am going to die anyway," then why MFP?
    I prefer to live better, eat healthier, and make smarter choices to be fully enjoying each day... no matter how many I may have left.
  • koosdel
    koosdel Posts: 3,317 Member
    Options
    Lol! Thanks for the link, that was hilarious! I love that they just so happen to sell alternatives to those mean products that hurt their feelings so badly.

"We don't use "outlandish claims" or "In your face" advertising to sell you products" - From home page of linked site...
  • shannon877
    Options
    I didn't click on the link... I didn't see a need to, to answer the OP question.
  • Quiltmania
    Options
    Lol! Thanks for the link, that was hilarious! I love that they just so happen to sell alternatives to those mean products that hurt their feelings so badly.

"We don't use "outlandish claims" or "In your face" advertising to sell you products" - From home page of linked site...

Ok, I thought I was the only one that found that amusing. :) Just make sure those products are labeled organic.
  • bflicker11
    bflicker11 Posts: 296
    Options
    I LOVE skim milk!!!! I will not and can not give it up. So yummy!!!!
  • alise_lmx
    alise_lmx Posts: 292 Member
    Options
    I recently cut out cow's milk from my life. I still on occasion eat ice cream and stuff (actually just today I had frozen yogurt lol), but for the most part I don't drink milk anymore. I like it, but it just does not agree with my body. I did some reading about milk and found a lot along the lines of the article you posted, so that kind of pushed me to make my decision as well. I don't necessary believe everything anti-cow milk I read, but I also don't believe that the benefits of cow's milk can't be found somewhere else. I drink rice milk now, I think it has the most similar consistency/taste to the skim milk I used to drink.
  • chevy88grl
    chevy88grl Posts: 3,937 Member
    Options
    I don't drink milk at all - for one reason and one reason alone.

I can't stand the taste of it. I use it in cereal, to cook with, etc but I will not drink a glass of it and haven't in many, many years.
  • SueGremlin
    SueGremlin Posts: 1,066 Member
    Options

It is factual.
    There are a lot of nontruths in that link in the original post. For instance, dairy cattle are most certainly not given constant doses of antibiotics and are not "constantly stressed". It is simply not true. There are many more big stretches and even lies in that article.