It's not that difficult people!!!

Options
This is my second time around on MFP and I can see we are still having many of the same issues. So, here's how the MFP system works...

When you signed up, MFP asked how quickly you want to lose weight. If you are trying to lose two pounds a week (and you should only be doing that if you have A LOT to lose), then the computer program builds in a 1000 calorie daily deficit for you when figuring out your target goal for your NET calories (calories consumed - calories burned = NET calories). 1000 x 7 = 7000 calorie deficit for the week. Since it takes burning 3500 calories to lose a pound, that is a two pound weight loss. If you are trying to lose one pound a week, then you have a 500 calorie daily deficit and half a pound a week is a 250 calorie daily deficit.

Creating the program in that manner allows us to feed our bodies as they need to be fed/fueled and still lose the weight we need and/or want to lose. Creating an even larger caloric deficit by not eating your exercise calories can lead to problems and counteract all the work and healthy eating we are doing.

Now, if someone has a lot of weight to lose, they are going to lose weight regardless of whether or not they eat their exercise calories. Their body has a lot of excess fat to burn so the body has reserves to call upon if it isn't getting enough fuel. But, if that same someone is getting close to their goal weight, their weight loss will slow/stop/plateau if they continue that same pattern. When your body doesn't have excess fat to burn, it needs a certain amount of energy/nourishment every day which is why MFP gives us all a target number to shoot for. If it doesn't get it, it will start burning muscle instead. Your fat/weight loss will stop and you will get flabbier as your body breaks down muscle tissue for energy. Give your body the proper amount of calories and nutrients and you will still lose weight, although it will naturally be at a slower rate when you have less to lose.

EAT YOUR FREAKIN' CALORIES FOLKS!!! Jeez....I'm a freakin BEAR and I get it.

Replies

• poisongirl6485
    poisongirl6485 Posts: 1,487 Member
    Options
    PatientBear is not patient.
  • schroje83
    schroje83 Posts: 17 Member
    Options

My thoughts exactly!
  • jeffsgal105
    jeffsgal105 Posts: 195 Member
    Options
    Or hungry. I get cranky when I'm hungry.
  • carpediem3
    carpediem3 Posts: 320 Member
    Options
    Or hungry. I get cranky when I'm hungry.

My Hubs does too! I kept telling him to chill out, calm down, quit stressing today while school shopping. He turns to me and says, "You gotta feed the bear before you pet the bear.." Lol.
  • 1smemae94
    1smemae94 Posts: 365 Member
    Options
    and breathe...
  • DRJJ2004
    DRJJ2004 Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    Guess he shouldn't be reading the boards. If you don't like what people have to say or ask..don't read them. Sheesh!
  • makemetinyplz
    Options
    Yeah I agree. I don't eat much but I always eat my excersize calories.
  • lstnlondry
    lstnlondry Posts: 1,794 Member
    Options
    Guess he shouldn't be reading the boards. If you don't like what people have to say or ask..don't read them. Sheesh!
    I don't want to see him IMpatient.
  • SkateboardFi
    SkateboardFi Posts: 1,322 Member
    Options
    "You gotta feed the bear before you pet the bear.."

LMAO classic
  • Heather75
    Heather75 Posts: 3,386 Member
    Options
    HelpfulBear
  • birdlover97111
    birdlover97111 Posts: 346 Member
    Options

My thoughts exactly....

And I will say to patientbear, and I quote, "IF YOU WANT TO BE MY FRIEND AND KNOW THINGS ABOUT ME, IT'S ONLY FAIR FOR ME TO KNOW THINGS ABOUT YOU TOO."....How about a little honesty on your profile..????...There, I vented, I'm done now... :flowerforyou:
  • HopefulLeigh
    HopefulLeigh Posts: 363 Member
    Options
    Yes, I've always found taking advice from trolls to be the best method of weight loss.
  • DedicatedHooper
    Options
    You Broke It Down Perfectly. very simple.
  • amymeenieminymo
    amymeenieminymo Posts: 2,394 Member
    Options

My thoughts exactly!

It's hard to be patient when people don't listen. Patient Bear said it's their second time around, so I'm not sure how long they've been on MFP, but I've been here since April of 2008. I totally understand that new people may not understand the idea of exercise calories, I questioned eating them too when I first came here because I wanted to make sure I was doing it right. But it does get a little irritating to see the same question day in and day out and people have made wonderful newbie links all about it if they would just take the time to read them.

I also have no patients for people that are spreading bad information like "no you don't have to eat them, they're optional". They may be optional for you because you choose to do it that way, but they are required for the way this site is set up and if you don't want to do it that way it's fine, but don't tell people the wrong thing just because that's what you choose to do.

BTW Patient Bear, I thought it was a great post. Maybe keep that somewhere so you can just copy and paste it every time there is a question about them :)
  • sassylilmama
    sassylilmama Posts: 1,495 Member
    Options
    And if you understand so perfectly how it works why is this your 2nd time here??
  • MrsCon40
    MrsCon40 Posts: 2,351 Member
    Options
    PatientBear is wise. And this deserves to be a sticky.
  • poisongirl6485
    poisongirl6485 Posts: 1,487 Member
    Options
    I like how PatientBear has this huge disclaimer about how he'll only accept people with public profiles or those who message him first, as he deserves to know who you are...yet his entire profile is fakey fake fake.
  • amymeenieminymo
    amymeenieminymo Posts: 2,394 Member
    Options
    And if you understand so perfectly how it works why is this your 2nd time here??

Wow, kinda harsh. I'm assuming that was directed at Patient Bear, but my ticker says I've been here for over 3 years and I've only lost 10 pounds. That's because I lost 50, life got stressful and I gained most of it back. So I am back full time to do it again. This site works great, and I understand it very well, but sometimes humans lack the willpower to stick to even the best laid plans, but failing, dusting yourself off and trying again is far from actually failing.
  • CakeFit21
    CakeFit21 Posts: 2,521 Member
    Options
    I like how PatientBear has this huge disclaimer about how he'll only accept people with public profiles or those who message him first, as he deserves to know who you are...yet his entire profile is fakey fake fake.

You can only know the PatientBear when he wants you know him.
  • sassylilmama
    sassylilmama Posts: 1,495 Member
    Options

Wow, kinda harsh. I'm assuming that was directed at Patient Bear, but my ticker says I've been here for over 3 years and I've only lost 10 pounds. That's because I lost 50, life got stressful and I gained most of it back. So I am back full time to do it again. This site works great, and I understand it very well, but sometimes humans lack the willpower to stick to even the best laid plans, but failing, dusting yourself off and trying again is far from actually failing.

Was not meant to be harsh. Only saying that for someone saying they know exactly how this should be done the whole 2nd time thing seems ironic. I know that everyone can fall off due to life, my week has been that way. Ok so you are back on and you understand. Great. But you are not out there posting topics basically attacking people for their confusion.