"I don't workout because of my hair"

Options
I had a thought come across my mind today. I remember a while ago I was listening to the radio and there was a discussion about black women and not working out because they do not want to mess up their hair. This may sound crazy. I partly agree that it sucks that my hair gets messed up every time i exercise, but that has not stopped me from working out of course. To me, my hair is such a problem because I do not have a relaxer and it is just a wild crazy mess after sweating so bad. I have a sew-in weave right now and it works great except for the part of my hair that is out. So my question to the black women, or other women who have this problem of course, what do you do to maintain your hair while exercising. Any special hairstyles? I want to know what you all do!

Replies

• redcurlygirl
    Options
    I have very thick curly hair and often find this to be an obstacle for me. It takes 35 minutes for me to style it and some days it comes down to not having enough time to work out AND do my hair. As I only shampoo every other day, I've found that doing my workouts right before I was scheduled to shower helps to overcome this. Hope this helps!
  • Helice
    Helice Posts: 1,075 Member
    Options
    im not black, but wen i exercise my hair puffs up into like a ball.
    its so annoying sometimes i will try to avoid exercising if i know im not going to be able to get a shower afterwards.
  • bmw4deb
    bmw4deb Posts: 1,325 Member
    Options
    My best friend also has a sew- in weave she wears a cotten head
    wrap to absorb the sweat and uses a dry shampoo after a hard
    work out (puts it on shakes it off) her hair is always beautiful
  • Neize
    Neize Posts: 301 Member
    Options
    I have a relaxer so, I pull my hair high up in a pony tail so it doesn't touch my shoulders or neck. Sometimes b4 work I have to blow dry my hair! I do wash it more often than I would if I didn't exercise!
  • SusanneWhittington
    SusanneWhittington Posts: 339 Member
    Options
    friend of mine keeps her hair real short, she said when she had long hair she did not work out either, because it was too expensive and time intensive to maintain it, with her relaxer she usually only washed her hair once a week and really did not want to wash it daily. But now with the real short her, she looks great with it and she works out every day with 0 hair problems.
  • KourtneyP83
    Options
    I used to only wash my hair every other day, like a previous poster I have think curly hair that takes quite a but to straighten...but I've just been sucking it up and washing it daily. It's so hot with it being summer anyway I don't want to have a sweaty head :)
  • Kjandcuttysmom
    Kjandcuttysmom Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    Good question. I haven't been running in a while (not because of my hair but because I don't have anyone to watch the kids) but when I was running I would put my hair (relaxed) in a high ponytail so it didn't lay on my neck and get wet with sweat. It gets pretty hard to maintain a style other than a pony tail.
    shine
  • trini14
    trini14 Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    Well, I definitely know what your talking about, I have dreadlocks, so its not really a problem for me (except when I'm wearing my locs in curls, and its "sweats" out a little, relaxing the curl). How about a headband over the hair that covers over the tracks? You could even get a way with "wrapping" your hair with a head scarf, or up in a ponytail? Have you thought about doing two strand twists as a protective style? HTH :)
  • demonNIИ
    demonNIИ Posts: 187
    Options
    I am just blessed for the most part. I'm currently growing my hair REALLY long. Getting it trimmed an inch every 6 months to keep it smooth. My hair has a bit of a natural wave to it I've been told. When I style it a certain way in the morning with a headband cute clips with hairpins to keep the hairband in place and doesn't move much I also use a moderate amount of strong hairspray
  • LadyPippen
    Options
    i got a weave! but even when i didnt have it, i still worked out. i got tired of messing up my natural hait so i got a weave
  • Heather75
    Heather75 Posts: 3,386 Member
    Options
    I just walk around looking like crap all the time.
  • Forensic
    Forensic Posts: 468 Member
    Options
    I keep my hair bound into a very tight bun while I exercise. I have to, otherwise it's just in my way (mind, my hair goes past my bottom...) But beyond that, I have no specific hair-concerns with working out.
  • lynn1982
    lynn1982 Posts: 1,439 Member
    Options
    The title of this post made me actually laugh out loud! I'm not black and I don't have a weave, but I have problem hair. It is super thick and can't make up its mind! It's partially wavy and partially straight. Due to this, I used to flat iron it every single morning, but since I started working out regularly, I have stopped flat ironing it since I usually shower in the morning and then work out in the mid to late afternoon and shower again. I feel like it's not worth it to flat iron it in the morning if I'm just going to shower again in the afternoon. And in the afternoon after my workout, I'm usually just too tired and lazy (unless I have a date later). A friend recently asked if I was depressed because I stopped flat ironing my hair! I think the title of your post makes complete sense!
  • nacobi
    nacobi Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    Braids have made it easier for me since it's summer. When my hair is out I have to wash it more often than I normally would. I haven't quite figured out a solution myself.
  • NaturalBeauty82
    NaturalBeauty82 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    I'm African American and I have natural hair. It's thick and curly. Most of the time when I exercise, I plait my hair or I just tie it up. It sweats but it's more manageable when I do those steps b/c it prevents tangling.
  • lynn1982
    lynn1982 Posts: 1,439 Member
    Options

If MFP allowed us to "like" posts, then I would like this one... you sound awesome.
  • Xandralexa
    Options
    I've never had this problem much, and I'm kinda lazy with my hair. I usually wear braids a lot.
    I would wear a headband at times. Or I would completely wrap my head in scarf. I know a lot of Black women that do the same.
  • Phi2004
    Phi2004 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I usually get a sew in as well. However, I tend to get the invisible part in the front . If you get the invisible part it will help so there is none of your hair out. I hope this helps!
  • babygurl48
    babygurl48 Posts: 1,236 Member
    Options

If MFP allowed us to "like" posts, then I would like this one... you sound awesome.

"Like!"
  • redheadmommy
    redheadmommy Posts: 908 Member
    Options
    I am not black neither have curly hair, but I have soo much hair that hairdressers charge me extra on services because the insane amount of hair I have.

When I exercise I sweat a lot, and all those hair gets soaked wet, and it takes forever to dry it. Since I bike to work, and it dripping sweat both ways, it added over an extra hr hair maintenance to my day.

As much I ( and my husband) loved my super long thick hair, it was unmanageable. I had to choose between my long hair and exercising. Well finally I made the painful decision, and today the hairdresser chopped down over 15 inch of my hair.
    It was a great sacrifice, but my health is more important then my beauty.Since i am donating my hair to the cancer society, I am sure somebody will be very happy with it.