"I don't workout because of my hair"

Options

Replies

• Fitandsexy_fe
    Fitandsexy_fe Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    I am not black neither have curly hair, but I have soo much hair that hairdressers charge me extra on services because the insane amount of hair I have.

When I exercise I sweat a lot, and all those hair gets soaked wet, and it takes forever to dry it. Since I bike to work, and it dripping sweat both ways, it added over an extra hr hair maintenance to my day.

As much I ( and my husband) loved my super long thick hair, it was unmanageable. I had to choose between my long hair and exercising. Well finally I made the painful decision, and today the hairdresser chopped down over 15 inch of my hair.
    It was a great sacrifice, but my health is more important then my beauty.Since i am donating my hair to the cancer society, I am sure somebody will be very happy with it.

you are so brave! way to donate to the cancer society!
  • Fitandsexy_fe
    Options
    I love the replies, lets me know i am not the only one dealing with this issues and also its all women (not just black) that have issues with hair. your responses are helping a lot.
  • shannonkk
    shannonkk Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    I try and straighten on my non workout days then when I do work out I put it in a high pony secured wit a rubberband. Then I wrap the long pony in a bun, but don't twist it because that makes creases. After I shower I blow dry my damp sweaty roots and touch up with the flat iron. I can only go two days then I have to wash. I either air dry while I sleep and straighten in the am or wet it spray it and wear it thick n curly. Oh buns and braids are quick but I don't feel as cute
  • VickiMitkins
    VickiMitkins Posts: 249 Member
    Options
    I try to plan heavy exercize right before wash day. I''m caucasion, but have very curly hair. It's always been a problem in humid weather or when I sweat. Can't tell you how many brushes I broke as a kid. It used to be really thick, not so much anymore which can be a little blessing. I also have some coming in much less curly. Because of that, I have to wash about every other day. The days that I don't plan to wash, I keep exercize a little lighter so I don't sweat as much. I also put it up in a pony tail. If I get too hot and can't wash, I will put some water on my finger tips and rub my scalp, followed by cool air. It helps distribute the natural oil and makes my hair and scalp feel cleaner.
  • catlady100
    catlady100 Posts: 154
    Options
    I have a relaxer. I just do a ponytail most days. My hairdresser is disgusted with me, "all that hair and you always have it up". If I worked outside the home I would just have to learn how to style it in a professional looking updo....too lazy to mess with blowdryers and flat irons everyday.
  • Brigantia
    Options
    Hello,

My trick was that I cut my hair. I ask my hairdresser to relaxe and cut it short. This way it's easier to manage. And I replace doing weave with buying 3 nice wigs in case I have an event that comes up. So yes people know What I do with my hair but I decided not care anymore just do what convenient for me.

Have a good day

Brigantia
  • jocelyne17
    jocelyne17 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    I'm natural and I plan my exercise to have enough time to style my hair. Although because of the summer and the fact that I work in the food industry, I have my hair in a bun at all times. My sister and I wear those black cotton headbands sometimes, but I usually wet my hair, slick it back, add some gel, and tie a scarf around it to keep it flat. Then if i sweat it out I just get my edges wet, smooth my hair again and I'm done because there's tons of product in it still.

Because I'm natural, I get a sew in weave to match my texture. I usually wear my hair curly too. If you want to try that you can get a sew-in to match your texture. Also try braiding, or twisting your hair at the hairline, and pulling the rest back in a bun. Anything that keeps your edges from sweating out is what you want.
  • atsteele
    atsteele Posts: 1,358 Member
    Options
    I just walk around looking like crap all the time.

LOL Been there, done that!!
  • Armycane
    Armycane Posts: 20
    Options
    I am in the transition stage with my hair, I usually put it up in a ponytail, or two braids regardless of the activity. Before transition from relaxer, I used to wrap my hair/braids/pony tail and put a hat on top if I was working out outdoors. I work out in the early mornings, so usually co-wash twice a week and deep condition on the weekends. When I don't have time or hair is not working with me, I put on a wig and enjoy the day.
  • ChantalGG
    ChantalGG Posts: 2,404 Member
    Options
    I am half black and have been blessed with curly hair not black texture but i just fuzzes up because my hair is damaged. it is thin too so wearing a pony and bouncing around breaks it. I wear a sweat band sometimes. I should look into so hair products and accessories for working out. Hmm maybe i should design some...
  • BrentGetsFit
    BrentGetsFit Posts: 878 Member
    Options
    So happy I'm bald, lol :)
  • nomorefatbitch
    Options
    I just walk around looking like crap all the time.

If MFP allowed us to "like" posts, then I would like this one... you sound awesome.

And I would so have to agree!!!!!
  • Ballay
    Ballay Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    I usually don't let my hair get in the way of my workout. I find that small single braids keep my hair together and neat. If my edges look bad after shrinking up I either flat iron it or brush it down. Also, hair gel works great to make your edges look neater, especially after flat ironing.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    I am white, but this is the reason I work out at home (with my hair pulled back). There is a gym right across the street from my office and I would LOVE to be able to get my workout in at lunch, but the time it would take to get my hair back under control prevents it.
  • wandakusa
    wandakusa Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I wear my hair flat ironed most of the time. What I do is put my hair up in a high ponytail and secure it with an elastic band. Then I put on a Nike headband or a moisture wicking scarf of some sort over my head. After my workout I take down the ponytail and comb my hair down. Sometimes its slightly damp in the front but the rest of my hair is not. Sometimes I have a slight dent for a few minutes but it goes away too and then you can't tell that I even worked out.

This routine has worked for me for years.
  • MeMe2grands
    MeMe2grands Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I know exactly what you're talking about! I'm black and that was one of the things that kept me from working out! WE can't wash our hair everyday :-)! Like you I have a sew in (kinda curly/water weave type of hair) and during the summer this is usually my style of choice. I live in Alabama so the heat and humidity here is terrible. When it cools down (somewhere in November or December) I'll go back to doing my hair. Just had a perm yesterday so I'll let it stay down for a week and just flat iron it when needed. I also keep my hair short so that may help. Keep in touch!
  • garlic7girl
    garlic7girl Posts: 2,236 Member
    Options
    We must have listened to the same radio program! I heard the same thing. I have heard men complain to that AA women should work out more but complain too much about their hair vs exercise. Sigh...as women figure so much out in thier lives and make changes with kids, family, job, health etc we need to figure out the exercise piece too because health will out weigh the hair issue in the long run especially when you look at the health issues AAs face. We should move our bodies!
    I overcame that obstacle because health is vital...I want to look good too but just in my life with hair so I can feel good about how my hair looks and still exercise at the same time. When I had relaxed hair I still exercised. Now that I am natural I do braids, twists or the good ole afro!
    Trust me I know plenty where hair comes before health!
  • AmyEm3
    AmyEm3 Posts: 784 Member
    Options
    I have problem hair. It is super thick and can't make up its mind! It's partially wavy and partially straight. Due to this, I used to flat iron it every single morning, but since I started working out regularly, I have stopped flat ironing

I have the same hair! It can't make up it's mind. I just haven't been straightening it as much lately.
  • Fitandsexy_fe
    Options
    We must have listened to the same radio program! I heard the same thing. I have heard men complain to that AA women should work out more but complain too much about their hair vs exercise. Sigh...as women figure so much out in thier lives and make changes with kids, family, job, health etc we need to figure out the exercise piece too because health will out weigh the hair issue in the long run especially when you look at the health issues AAs face. We should move our bodies!
    I overcame that obstacle because health is vital...I want to look good too but just in my life with hair so I can feel good about how my hair looks and still exercise at the same time. When I had relaxed hair I still exercised. Now that I am natural I do braids, twists or the good ole afro!
    Trust me I know plenty where hair comes before health!

Yes! the crazy thing is it was a lot of men callin in adding their comments about the issue. i totally agree with everything you are saying
  • FaithsVegWorkout
    Options
    I have naturally curly hair, and I will not blow my hair straight if I am going to exercise. So, these days, the hair is curly all the time pretty much.