600 Calorie Mistake...Not gonna happen again!

Options
So, I was craving Kraft Dinner today. I haven't had it in ages. I know it's not particularly good for you...but I wanted something cheesy. After I consumed half a box..(I only cook half a box)...I decided to put it into MFP. Only to discover it was 600 calories. I COULDN'T BELIEVE IT!!! I went to the recycling box and took out the box to read it for myself. Yup...I had consumed 600 calories (half my calories for today). Never ever will I make that mistake again. I took the rest of the box and threw it out...no more Kraft Dinner for me...EVER!!!

Replies

• fitwatch
    fitwatch Posts: 61
    Options
    You think that is bad, I once had two full boxes of the stuff. I must admit that it does taste good. Did not hold back on the butter and milk. I had to pay for that meal by fasting the next day.
  • blnorman29
    blnorman29 Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    I hate surprises like that! You think you're eating in moderation, but some foods are just not good for you, in any amount. At least now you know!
  • Missevanston
    Missevanston Posts: 361 Member
    Options
    This is why MFP is so awesome! Ya live and learn!
  • sc1572
    sc1572 Posts: 2,309 Member
    Options
    Mac and Cheese? SO EVIL. Sometimes I just get random cravings for stuff like Mac and Cheese or chips, and other things I rarely have. I treat myself, regret it, and vow to never do it again! If you did Kraft Mac and Cheese, did you do the light prep?

EDIT: If I feel like splurging, I look for other alternatives on www.skinnytaste.com :)
  • vampee
    vampee Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    It is amazing how much calories and crap are in most foods.When I stared MFP I was shocked. Now I am always telling my BF that I don't want to waste my calories on crap.
  • wanetam
    wanetam Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    I have made that same mistake! The worst part is, after all this calories, I found I was still hungry shortly after. : (
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    I don't know what Kraft dinner is, but always read the label!! No matter what you think or how healthy it sounds, if it has a label read it.
  • kperez19
    Options
    A Krispy Kreme chocolate glazed doughnut has about 100 calories less than a serving of Velveeta macaroni.
  • cherubcrnp
    cherubcrnp Posts: 730 Member
    Options
    I was going to get a Buffalo Chicken salad a few days ago...until I looked at the calorie count....NO WAY!!!!! I will make my own grilled chicken and add the hot sauce and veggies....at least I know what is in the darn thing! God Bless Fast Food and Restuarant calorie counter apps

Pam aka Cherubcrnp
  • Lexie28
    Lexie28 Posts: 219
    Options
    Mac and Cheese? SO EVIL. Sometimes I just get random cravings for stuff like Mac and Cheese or chips, and other things I rarely have. I treat myself, regret it, and vow to never do it again! If you did Kraft Mac and Cheese, did you do the light prep?

EDIT: If I feel like splurging, I look for other alternatives on www.skinnytaste.com :)

I never use milk and butter...so yes, I did the light prep. Just the mac and cheese with no extras :)
  • alyssamiller77
    alyssamiller77 Posts: 891 Member
    Options
    I know I'm like a broken record on this but I don't think it's a good idea to completely give up a food you enjoy. Look instead for ways to work it in better. Can you eat just a 1/4 of a box per meal? Can you have on a day where you do some extra exercise and have the room for some additional calories? Otherwise is there an alternative to kraft that you would enjoy just as much? If you have cravings for a food that you try to give up cold turkey, you're setting yourself up for binging,cheating and/or failure. Plus why deprive yourself. Eating a healthy diet can and should be enjoyable.
  • leomom72
    leomom72 Posts: 1,797 Member
    Options
    that sucks, but sometimes we need it..thats why i always read labels on EVERYTHING..if i want it badly, i may eat it, or i may decide it's not worth it..depends on the day and mood..good luck
  • eorlvr79
    Options
    I bet you could make a healthier version yourself so you wouldn't have to miss out when you crave it.
  • jujubean1992
    jujubean1992 Posts: 462 Member
    Options
    i thought i was going to do this earlier. but i can't resist a good corn dog (horrible i know!) hubby went to good old wal-mart last night and comes home with a huge box of the good corn dogs... and three bags of chips... and ice cream... F my life.
  • vettle
    vettle Posts: 621 Member
    Options
    Not all mac and cheese is evil - just kraft dinner! it's all the butter and fake cheese that is added into this. If you had a cup of regular macaroni and shred some sharp cheddar on it, add some milk, would be just fine.
    but it's OK! donate all your kraft dinner to the grocery store donation bin.

it's like when I realized that a whole pack of ichiban (my weakness) is 500 calories
  • DebbieYost
    Options
    Been there...done that! I have the habit of eating before I consider the consequences, and when I track...after the fact...I am shocked at how much those "didn't pay attention to the little extras" added up. When I've got 0 or minuses staring back
    at me on the tracker even before dinner, it isn't exactly an ego booster. But I'm with you...Kraft Mac and Cheese is "so"
    addicting. It's one of those "what leftovers?" kind of food.

You learned not to have a repeat performance and you got rid of the temptation...to me, that is a success!
  • belindablanks
    belindablanks Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Thanks so much for passing along skinnytaste.com. Great resource.
  • Seraph1120
    Seraph1120 Posts: 194 Member
    Options

So...I went to check out the link and have been on there for the past half hour! haha. Thanks for sharing!! =D
  • italianissima
    italianissima Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    Hi,
    I do not like surprises like that, but I haven't had one in a long time. I always check the nutrition facts or use the app.

This idea is not just about the mac and cheese, but for everything. I always put in the food I'm going to eat into the app BEFORE I eat it. That way I know what I'm eating before I eat it. This has actually caused me to think twice about eating a full cup of rice, or 2 tortillas, or whatever it is.

As for the mac n cheese, if you don't want to make your own...
    You can always add veggies in like broccoli. That way you will still get that taste you crave, but the bulk of it will be subbed for veggies!

Good luck!!
  • llbird
    llbird Posts: 51
    Options
    I was shocked how many calories are in moussaka (greek dish with beef, eggplant and potatoes). Comfort food but not when it comes with a 550 calorie price tag!