600 Calorie Mistake...Not gonna happen again!

Options

Replies

• maria1993
    maria1993 Posts: 112
    Options
    I did that kind of thing.. I went to Sam's with two friends, really only planning to get a half and half tea.. I opted for a half unsweet half splenda tea, but I ordered a cinnamon pretzel.. I figured, hey, I haven't had any lunch and this can't be more than a few hundred calories.. Nope, it was 550!!
  • mandahq
    mandahq Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    I still eat KD half a box is 458 calories. I eat it as a full dinner meal. it has 888mg sodium. So i much sure I can afford that. But it mainly depends on what kind of KD and how you prepare it. I only use 1 tbsp imperial butter.
  • eviltwinkie
    Options
    I've had some of those 'light' mac and cheese in a cup that were under 200 cals in the cupboard for such OMG I need mac and cheese occasions. Taste about as good, and I usually mix in some chopped veggies to bulk it up (and sometimes a low fat hebrew national hot dog, or part of a low fat chicken dog.)

Live and learn, but don't deprive. Find something that fits with the occasional need, but doesn't encourage overdoing it. But I do understand the draw of those boxes... they're so much cheaper. Maybe if you get them, open them and immediately parse out into single servings? Wonder how that would work out with prepping it. Hmm.

Sorry I can't remember the brand of the cups exactly (major one) - I was only finding them at target for awhile. Seems like most places assume you don't want a reduced fat mac and cheese.

I wish could get the reduced fat mac and cheese packets and pair it with my own pasta. That would be ideal.
  • maria1993
    maria1993 Posts: 112
    Options
    Oh... And just a thought, if you go to an orential market you can buy tapioca noodles.. 3 ounces unprepared is about 100 calories, after cooking them you could cut them into 1" long pieces.. It makes about 2 cups cooked. You can put cheese sauce or shredded cheese over it and save a ton of calories
  • carrie1128
    carrie1128 Posts: 267 Member
    Options
    Now you know! I do love that about MFP. I had Chinese takeout yesterday so you can imagine what my calories looked like yesterday (1300 on that one meal). It's better to know though. I think a lot of people stay in denial about it.
  • fas815
    fas815 Posts: 31
    Options
    Plz i've done the same thing!!! I should take a lesson from my daughter( she introduced me to MFP) She puts all her food in before she eats it. Sometimes we all get cravings though. It's ok. Keep up the good work.
  • 99clmsntgr
    99clmsntgr Posts: 777 Member
    Options
    Since I didn't see it anywhere else in the thread, I'll point this out for you -- Kraft Easy Mac (the styrofoam, microwaveable containers) are 220 calories per container. It's not bad, I've had them as a lunch when I was all out of other stuff to bring to work. And it will help keep the craving in line.
  • ChantalGG
    ChantalGG Posts: 2,404 Member
    Options
    Next time try boiling some cauliflower in with it to add some bulk without the carbs and calories. i havnt tried this yet but i think it might be tasty. I luckily dont love the stuff. But my son and my SO do so i have to eat it but i usually only add a bit of milk to make it more creamy and skip the margarine.
  • brittanyjeanxo
    brittanyjeanxo Posts: 1,831 Member
    Options
    Ugh, mac and cheese is so good. Before I would eat a whole box, and still be hungry. It's empty calories. I know how ya feel.
  • Jorra
    Jorra Posts: 3,338 Member
    Options
    I still make Kraft Mac&Cheese regularly without it messing up my day. I make the whole box of "The Cheesiest" with 2tbsp of real butter and a 1/4 cup of 1% milk. Then I only eat one serving which is 1/3 of the box (1 cup prepared). It's only 336 calories.

Most of the time I'll add other things for flavor like a little tomato soup, vegetables, or tuna.
  • dimplz1965
    dimplz1965 Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    I know I'm like a broken record on this but I don't think it's a good idea to completely give up a food you enjoy. Look instead for ways to work it in better. Can you eat just a 1/4 of a box per meal? Can you have on a day where you do some extra exercise and have the room for some additional calories? Otherwise is there an alternative to kraft that you would enjoy just as much? If you have cravings for a food that you try to give up cold turkey, you're setting yourself up for binging,cheating and/or failure. Plus why deprive yourself. Eating a healthy diet can and should be enjoyable.

I so agree. I would fail miserably, and have, if I cut out certain foods. I work it in, less amount, more exercise; no more deprivation -- but also not all the time.
  • beaglenutty
    beaglenutty Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    I used to make this for my daughter a lot but now only like couple of times a month. And I have a couple bites I just cant resist lol I always look up foods before I eat them. Some foods you just ave to eat once in a while if you really want it.
  • soozy84
    soozy84 Posts: 118
    Options
    EDIT: If I feel like splurging, I look for other alternatives on www.skinnytaste.com :)

I didn't know this website existed! It looks awesome. Thanks for the tip :)
  • shelbygeorge29
    shelbygeorge29 Posts: 263 Member
    Options
    I was just reading this article yesterday, and Pauline Nordin wrote about how she eats a super healthy version. I think I might try it out.

http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/10-fighter-diet-foods-for-cheese-grater-abs.html

The article is worth a look!
  • Hfxgal
    Hfxgal Posts: 57
    Options
    KD is something that I love....and miss :-(
  • mazza33
    mazza33 Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    A Krispy Kreme chocolate glazed doughnut has about 100 calories less than a serving of Velveeta macaroni.

krispy kreme.....yummmmmmmmmm (Homer Simpson gurgle) lol
  • loubulou2209
    Options
    Mac and Cheese? SO EVIL. Sometimes I just get random cravings for stuff like Mac and Cheese or chips, and other things I rarely have. I treat myself, regret it, and vow to never do it again! If you did Kraft Mac and Cheese, did you do the light prep?

EDIT: If I feel like splurging, I look for other alternatives on www.skinnytaste.com :)

Oooooh I am LOVING this website! Thank you! :)
  • momcindy
    momcindy Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    I know exactly how you feel. Imagine my shock when I discovered my favorite meal from Applebee's restaurant, the Crispy Orange Chicken Bowl, for ONE SERVING has:

1520 calories
    53 fat grams
    2500 mg. sodium
    208 carb grams
    64 protein grams

I've never had it again after I discovered that. It just made me sick to realize that something I thought was relatively healthy because it had broccoli and other veggies was so loaded. I'm not a proponent of the food police deciding what can or can't be served at a restaurant but something like that should probably come with a warning label.
  • wildon883r
    wildon883r Posts: 429 Member
    Options
    It's amazing how many worthless cals they can pack into processed food. Fast food is just as bad. How about selling us a hamburger that has one ingredient in the meat.
  • Honey1990
    Options
    try annies sharp cheader organic shells. its really good. and the entire box is 600 calories and it makes way more than enough. i usually add a little crushed red pepper to it because it does taste a little different but i only buy it now so i am getting used to it.