Salt or sugar: which is worse?

Options
Interesting article I found while trying to figure out which I should be more concerned about; MFP only allows for a certain amount of things to be tracked on the food diary and I'm debating between sugar and salt. Any-who just thought I would share for those who are interested. Hope everyone is having a great healthy weekend!

Are salt and sugar harmless blips in otherwise healthy diets? Not necessarily, say health campaigners. When it comes to salt, sugar and your health, there are some things that may surprise you.

Few of us crave foods we know are good for us. "I'm desperate for a salad" are words that don't pass many lips. Foods we crave are more likely to be high in either sugar or salt. This is not surprising considering both behave similar to addictive drugs — that is, the more we have, the more we want.

Until about 200 years ago, neither salt nor sugar was readily available and therefore we ate both sparingly. We consumed sugar in the occasional piece of fruit and the odd bit of honey. Salt was similarly costly and saved for preserving food. Once we figured out how to easily manufacture salt and sugar, however, human consumption increased to levels beyond the comprehension of an 18th-century person.

It's hardly earth shattering to hear that consuming too much salt is dangerous and that sugar is not even essential to our diet. What may be surprising is to learn that campaigners against both argue they are massively underplayed health issues and that salt and sugar are actually the cause of modern health epidemics including obesity, heart disease, hypertension and even PMS.

Sweet is soured
In the anti-sugar camp is David Gillespie. A Brisbane lawyer, Gillespie lost 40kg by cutting out sugar. Intrigued, and sensing he'd stumbled across the elusive "secret" to weight loss, Gillespie applied his skills as a litigator to build a case against sugar. His book Sweet Poison: Why sugar makes us fat ($29.95, Penguin) is a 200-page prosecution of sugar — specifically fructose, the main component of cane sugar.
"Fructose, uniquely amongst the foods we eat, does not trigger an appetite response," explains Gillespie. Fat, carbohydrate and protein alert the brain when we've had enough — fructose does not. "We could eat a mountain of fructose and never feel full," He adds. For a person in the 1860s, there was no issue, as there was so little fructose to be had. In 2008, we drink sugar in juices and feast on it for breakfast, so much so that the average person is consuming 33kg of sugar a year.

And it gets worse. Yes, sugar doesn't tell us when we've had our fill causing us to mindlessly consume excess calories, but it's also clogging our arteries. "Sugar is immediately converted by the liver into fat. Our bodies are extremely efficient at doing this," Gillespie says. "By the time you've finished the glass of apple juice, the first mouthful is already circulating in your arteries as fat." This fat in the arteries can lead to type 2 diabetes and heart disease.

But what of salt?
The case for sugar is not looking good but does this mean if we cut it out we can gorge on salty treats instead? No way, says Dr Trevor Beard, author of Salt Matters: The killer condiment ($24.95, Hachette). His main concerns include the 90 percent of us at risk of hypertension (high blood pressure) and the 250,000 women who suffer from severe PMS (fluid retention). He says salt consumption is the "biggest black spot in public health".
While they each have their own area of focus, both men agree this: modern processed-food-laden diets expose us to far more salt and sugar than we need. Breakfast cereals are a bugbear for both men. "About 25 percent of the average breakfast cereal is sugar," Gillespie says.

Dr Beard offers this: "The food industry is guilty of doing it [adding salt and sugar to processed foods] but they are innocent in their intentions — they are simply giving us what we want. If we start wanting something better they'll give us that."

How to 'want' better food?
Just as we've evolved to love these things, we can ween ourselves to the point where they are no longer palatable. "Anthropologists have identified 20 salt-free societies," says Dr Beard. "They detest salt, yet when it's introduced they get used to it within a matter of weeks. Once they are used to salt, they start clamouring for it."
And it seems you can lose that taste as quickly as you acquire it. "Within four weeks people who give up salt don't like it anymore," he continues.

For Gillespie, the key to achieving dietary balance is to focus on sugar. "Concern yourself only with the fructose content of the food and your body will take care of the rest," he says. "You will not overeat, you will not become fatter than your body is set to become."

How to limit your salt and sugar intake

Eat as close to nature as possible. Include, in your diet, fresh vegies, some whole fruit, lean meats and whoelgrains. Processed foods are the biggest culprits for both salt and sugar.
Don't drink sugar. This means no juices, soft drinks or cordials.
Read the label. Salt and sugar are hidden in even the healthiest foods, including nuts, sauces and breakfast cereals.
Prepare own food. Restaurants use more salt than you think. If you start from scratch with fresh foods you can control your intake.

For more information visit www.sweetpoison.com.au and www.saltmatters.org.

Replies

• Lindz2323
    Lindz2323 Posts: 261 Member
    Options
    Bump, saving for later =) thanks!
  • crzyone
    crzyone Posts: 872 Member
    Options
    LOL....since I've been eating better the past few months, I have literally said several times, "I'm craving a salad!" I have found that since eating better my body just doesn't feel "right" if I haven't had my helping of salad every day!!!

Sorry, that wasn't about salt or sugar, just a thought I had to one of your comments about cravings!!!
  • Sanya77
    Sanya77 Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    Thanks for sharing.
  • AmerTunsi
    AmerTunsi Posts: 655 Member
    Options
    LOL....since I've been eating better the past few months, I have literally said several times, "I'm craving a salad!" I have found that since eating better my body just doesn't feel "right" if I haven't had my helping of salad every day!!!

Sorry, that wasn't about salt or sugar, just a thought I had to one of your comments about cravings!!!

Oddly enough I thought the same thing about the salad remark! I crave all types of salads ... in fact I could go for a traditional Tunisian salad (cucumber, tomato, onion, topped with olive oil, lemon juice, and pepper).
    Although, I think they are speaking for the majority of people and probably not those dieting!
  • muitobem
    muitobem Posts: 435 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • lisab42
    lisab42 Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the info!!
  • AngelicaDulas
    Options

How to 'want' better food?
    Just as we've evolved to love these things, we can ween ourselves to the point where they are no longer palatable. "Anthropologists have identified 20 salt-free societies," says Dr Beard. "They detest salt, yet when it's introduced they get used to it within a matter of weeks. Once they are used to salt, they start clamouring for it."
    And it seems you can lose that taste as quickly as you acquire it. "Within four weeks people who give up salt don't like it anymore," he continues.

I had this happen to me! I used to love salty potato chips etc. but once I cut back to less than 2000mg a day (the recommended allowance) I found that foods I used to love to eat tasted like nothing but salt! I tried eating a bowl of soup and it didn't even taste like the vegetables it was supposed to. Nor can I eat wheat thins as I used to. SOO salty! I'm glad I cut it out and now find that the fresh veggies that I prepare myself are far more interesting and palatable than anything I can get out at a restaurant.
  • helenium
    helenium Posts: 546 Member
    Options
    Please find a more balanced article... it's fine for an article to reach a conclusion, but there's no point if it only discusses the FOR evidence or the AGAINST evidence alone.
  • dmpizza
    dmpizza Posts: 3,321 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the info, but I wouldn't quote a lawyer when discussing technical or medical issues. Lawyers are good at arguing for your side, but they don't let facts get in the way of a good argument.

All carbs turn to sugar(bread, sugar, grain,etc...). If you don't use the sugar it is used to create fat eventually, but not instantly as in the glass of juice description.
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options
    Wow, honestly, terrible article. Carbs tell you when you're full, but sugar (which is a carb) doesn't? So carbs tell you when you're full but carbs don't tell you when you're full? Also, fructose is not the "main component" in sugar. It depends on the sugar for one thing. Lactose doesn't have any fructose in it at all. Neither does dextrose. Fructose is the main sugar in fruits, so I guess if you eat fruit your body will never tell you that you're full. There wasn't a lot of fructose to be had in the 1800's? Fruit didn't exist?

I didn't bother reading the rest of it, absolute total fear mongering. It also even said that the guy who wrote the book is a lawyer, not a doctor.
  • nosugarcoating
    nosugarcoating Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    I personally have decided to track sugar as I have insulin resistance and it's just more important to me to watch my sugar intake.

I would probably pick what you think needs more watching. For example, I don't like salt at all. I don't eat a lot of processed food and use very very little salt in the food I cook so I don't think I have to worry about my sodium intake as much as my sugar intake.

But that is just my personal situation, yours may be entirely different.
  • jtbaddison
    jtbaddison Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    Recenty I was turned on to a You Tube Spot called Sugar The Bitter Truth:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dBnniua6-oM

Robert Lustig makes a similar sugar case. It was eye-opening for me. He is not so easy on the food industry, however, he talks about the "Coca-Cola Conspiracy". Caffeine is a diuretic which makes you pee the free water out of your body. In his words, "You are drinking a pizza". When you pee and consume salt you become thirsty. The outrageous sugar is to cover the taste of salt. Sodium and Sugar go hand in hand in processed foods, sodas and sport drinks.
  • jtbaddison
    jtbaddison Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    Wow, honestly, terrible article. Carbs tell you when you're full, but sugar (which is a carb) doesn't? So carbs tell you when you're full but carbs don't tell you when you're full? Also, fructose is not the "main component" in sugar. It depends on the sugar for one thing. Lactose doesn't have any fructose in it at all. Neither does dextrose. Fructose is the main sugar in fruits, so I guess if you eat fruit your body will never tell you that you're full. There wasn't a lot of fructose to be had in the 1800's? Fruit didn't exist?

I didn't bother reading the rest of it, absolute total fear mongering. It also even said that the guy who wrote the book is a lawyer, not a doctor.

The primary sugars that Americans consume are Glucose and Fructose. Lactose and Dextrose just aren't very sweet. Sucrose for example is half Glucose, half Fructose. Fructose appears to be the most harmful component and Americans are consuming it like never before.

Compare a "Low Fat" food to the normal version of that food and you will find lower calories and lower fat with double the sugar. The sugar comes from High Fructose Corn Syrup because it is the cheapest sugar product on the market. Also, processed foods lack fiber, that would come in a fruit. With fiber, our bodies are able to process fructose, but when we assault our bodies with a ton of fructose without fiber our livers are overwhelmed.
  • cuerpito
    cuerpito Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    Good article but the worst sugar is sucrose, not fructose.

Sucrose is the bad refined sugar that's bad for you. Sucrose is a disaccharide (chem. - C12H22O11). It's a combination of fructose and glucose combined with a glicosidic joint.

Fructose is also a sugar but occurs naturally in fruits an honey (chem. - C6H12O6). It's a simple sugar, not necessarily healthy but different that sucrose.

There are plenty of other sugars. Not sure why this article only focuses on fructose - by far not THE worst sugar. I think the author confuses people more than explains how to eat healthy.
  • italianissima
    italianissima Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    Hi,

Well, I think you shouldn't have to pick between the two: watch them both.

Salt is harder to substitute- of course there are great no calorie herbs and sauces you can add to make things taste great. I don't keep a salt shaker on the table at meal times, and I try not to use salt in my cooking. Although, there is added salt in many of the foods we eat, and we are unaware of it. Read labels!

Sugar on the other hand is another story. There are ways to make things sweeter without real sugar. I don't use any chemical sugars like Splenda, Sweet n Low, Equal, etc. There are natural things that you can use to sweeten foods: honey, agave syrup, etc. I personally like Stevia and use it when I feel the need for something a little sweeter. Same as salt, I don't keep a sugar bowl on my table, and I try not to cook with sugar. There are foods that have added sugar, so be weary of those. Again read labels!

Overall, I think that it's something you palate will adapt to! Did I ever think I could drink black coffee- no cream or sugar? No way! But, I do and I LOVE it. Did I ever think i could eat popcorn dry- without butter and salt? Nope! But, I make air popped popcorn all the time and think it's great!

Experiment and you will find your way! Best of luck!
  • Silverkittycat
    Silverkittycat Posts: 1,997 Member
    Options
    Tunisian salad (cucumber, tomato, onion, topped with olive oil, lemon juice, and pepper)
    Sounds delicious!

I track sugar. I'm in Florida, and with this heat and humidity I could probably use the extra salt.
  • azheelshock
    Options
    Please find a more balanced article... it's fine for an article to reach a conclusion, but there's no point if it only discusses the FOR evidence or the AGAINST evidence alone.

I agree. The author is basically saying to cut all fruits out of your diet. I agree that High Fructose Corn Syrup is an awful ingredient, but natural fructose found in some of our favorite fruits can be part of a well-balanced diet.
  • tigersword
    Options

The primary sugars that Americans consume are Glucose and Fructose. Lactose and Dextrose just aren't very sweet. Sucrose for example is half Glucose, half Fructose. Fructose appears to be the most harmful component and Americans are consuming it like never before.

Compare a "Low Fat" food to the normal version of that food and you will find lower calories and lower fat with double the sugar. The sugar comes from High Fructose Corn Syrup because it is the cheapest sugar product on the market. Also, processed foods lack fiber, that would come in a fruit. With fiber, our bodies are able to process fructose, but when we assault our bodies with a ton of fructose without fiber our livers are overwhelmed.
    How is dextrose less sweet than glucose when dextrose is actually just another name for glucose? You might want to recheck your information. Also, I've never heard of a link between fiber and fructose absorption, can you explain exactly how that works?
  • tigersword
    Options
    Good article but the worst sugar is sucrose, not fructose.

Sucrose is the bad refined sugar that's bad for you. Sucrose is a disaccharide (chem. - C12H22O11). It's a combination of fructose and glucose combined with a glicosidic joint.

Fructose is also a sugar but occurs naturally in fruits an honey (chem. - C6H12O6). It's a simple sugar, not necessarily healthy but different that sucrose.

There are plenty of other sugars. Not sure why this article only focuses on fructose - by far not THE worst sugar. I think the author confuses people more than explains how to eat healthy.
    Fructose has been shown in studies to contribute to obesity and insulin resistance. It's not the sucrose, it's the fructose in the sucrose that's the problem.
  • azheelshock
    Options
    http://diaita-express.com/diet/diet.php?id=443

Here's one article supporting fiber as an modulator of sugar absorption.