Does myfitnesspal work for men?

Options

Replies

• MissbusyLizzie
    MissbusyLizzie Posts: 326 Member
    Options
    I think someone just wants all the men to come out of the woodwork. hahaha.. .just kiddng.

DANG! Why didn't I think of this?! LOL
  • Lauriee2014
    Lauriee2014 Posts: 183 Member
    Options
    Maybe it seems that way because there are a lot of women who want to lose weight...and we like to talk! :)

I'm guessing that's a lot of it. Some say women have twice as many words in a day as men do. [I'm sure that's a generelization.] But could account for him feeling he is in the minority here.

We all belong! :)
  • havertyj
    Options
    I am a 39 year old male and I have lost 26 lbs. I love this site! Actually, I love that I can keep track of what I eat via my Blackberry and iPod Touch. I log in every day and track what I eat. I think a lot of us men on here just use the site and do not participate on the message boards. As you can see, I have posted a few times... Seems it is primarily women that talk on the message boards, but this is by no means a female site. Use the site and keep track of what you eat... you will see a difference!
  • c0untingsheep
    c0untingsheep Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    beforeandafter-1.jpg

Yeah, it works.

'Nuff said haha
  • bobbybdoe
    bobbybdoe Posts: 472 Member
    Options
    There are tons of men on this site... all in progress.

I believe this site is gender neutral.

Getting fit and eating healthy is also gender neutral.

Nope. The site's demographic is a lot more female than male but I do agree it works for both. It's working for me! :D
  • shack1157
    shack1157 Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    Down 91 pounds! It works if you use it right and are honest with yourself! Like any change of life move you have to stick with it and really want to make a difference! Keep your mind focused and stay faithful to yourself and the weight will come off!
  • JJLive
    JJLive Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    Woman tend to be more willing to go for the whole supportive environment thing that the boards are. There are probably a lot more men who just use the mobile app and don't post on the msg board.
  • tails86
    tails86 Posts: 17
    Options
    There are tons of men on this site... all in progress.

I believe this site is gender neutral.

Getting fit and eating healthy is also gender neutral.

Nope. The site's demographic is a lot more female than male but I do agree it works for both. It's working for me! :D

What I'd like to know is how myfitnesspal calculated that I will naturally lose 2100 calories in a day. I read somewhere that men burn 300 more calories a day than women do. So I would think that gender does have some sort of factor when deciding when to stop eating.
  • _David_
    _David_ Posts: 476 Member
    Options
    Sorry double post. Damn phone
  • _David_
    _David_ Posts: 476 Member
    Options

What I'd like to know is how myfitnesspal calculated that I will naturally lose 2100 calories in a day. I read somewhere that men burn 300 more calories a day than women do. So I would think that gender does have some sort of factor
    when deciding when to stop eating.
    just because you read it it doesn't mean its true, every person is different and theycannot say one gender or another burn more calories, we all have different metabolisms. Not sure if you know this but you can custom set up your
    macros to better fit your needs
  • beach_bum_gurl
    Options
    It's all about the calorie count . . . It's a great tool for accountability.

THIS ^^^
  • tails86
    tails86 Posts: 17
    Options
    just because you read it it doesn't mean its true

Haha. Aint that the truth! I don't truly believe anything until I am thoroughly convinced of the fact. This is just something that I would like to explore and understand the math behind all this. I'm guessing that the initial target is a complete guess based on statistics. Does the software adjust when it sees that your losing too fast or too slow?
  • kristydi
    kristydi Posts: 781 Member
    Options
    Woman tend to be more willing to go for the whole supportive environment thing that the boards are. There are probably a lot more men who just use the mobile app and don't post on the msg board.

I think this may be true. My husband and I are doing this weight loss thing together and we both use MFP. He's lost 20lbs and I've lost 15lbs. I've been reading and posting on the forums. He's perused the forums a bit, but he's never posted.

The person who told us about MFP is a guy, he's lost about 50lbs.
  • BrentGetsFit
    BrentGetsFit Posts: 878 Member
    Options
    This is just something that I would like to explore and understand the math behind all this. I'm guessing that the initial target is a complete guess based on statistics. Does the software adjust when it sees that your losing too fast or too slow?

I wouldn't say it's a complete guess. MFP uses generally accepted formulas in determining BMR and Activity Level. These formulas then take into account the information you entered when you signed up. So while the info given is tailored to you it's only as accurate as the formula which is close enough for most of us.

As for adjustments, it will decrease your calorie goal for every 10 lbs you lose since your BMR goes down as you weigh less. It'll also warn you if you net below 1200 a day.
  • Troy67
    Troy67 Posts: 556 Member
    Options
    Works for me. The men and women are extremely supportive and make the work seem like fun.
  • shivaslives
    shivaslives Posts: 279 Member
    Options
    Just in case it hasn't been said enough... the site definitely works for both men and women.

9114468.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter
  • kyle4jem
    kyle4jem Posts: 1,400 Member
    Options
    Still a newbie here, so not sure if MFP works for me, but I'm loving the food diary becasue it's easy to keep tarck of things and use it as a journal to record my throughts and feelings as I try once again to shed some bulk. If there are any MFP-buddies with tips and tricks for a desk-jockey, then add me as a friend :happy:
  • kyle4jem
    kyle4jem Posts: 1,400 Member
    Options
    beforeandafter-1.jpg

Yeah, it works.

Wow... Congratulations Brent... now that's what I call weightloss! Can't see myself getting quite as gym-fit, but every liitle helps :flowerforyou:
  • jfinnivan
    jfinnivan Posts: 360 Member
    Options
    It worked for me. This site was recommended by two guy friends.
  • 27strange
    27strange Posts: 837 Member
    Options
    This site is working for me!! Lots of fit and unfit men on here. The women tend to use the forums more and the social aspect of the website, but lots of men do too, and even more men are using the site purely for logging calories consumed and burned. it works, and I don't think its tailored more to women....its just that more women participate in the forum discussions than men do.