Vegan/vegetarian! PLEASE READ AND RESPOND!

Options
So,
I'm seriously considering going vegan. Not hardcore, like I can't have honey or jelly or something...but you know, breads, meat...
what are the pro's and con's of this? I've heard SO many different things!

Replies

• MaitreyeeMAYHEM
    MaitreyeeMAYHEM Posts: 559 Member
    Options
    are u a vegetarian or pescetarian currently? If not, I would slowly start going vegan because if you start right away its hard for your body to get used to it.
  • dancer4275
    dancer4275 Posts: 149
    Options
    No I'm not right now...to be honest though, I don't eat that much meat. Occasionally meat or chicken. The hardest part will be the eggs!
  • MaitreyeeMAYHEM
    MaitreyeeMAYHEM Posts: 559 Member
    Options
    I'm just like you, I hardly eat any meat. That is why I decided to become pescetarian because I don't eat much meat anyway. Try vegetarian first, see how you like it then go from there. Becoming vegan isn't for everyone. My sisters in-law is vegan and I know I couldn't do it. My sister tried to be a vegetarian for a few months and she couldn't do it. Just try and see what you think.
  • veganbaum
    veganbaum Posts: 1,865 Member
    Options
    If you're going to be a junk food vegan, then the pros are for the planet and the animals, not for your health.

If you want to be a healthy vegan, then the key is focusing on whole foods. Veggies, legumes, whole grains, and nuts and seeds. If you make this the focus of your meals, you will naturally be eating a variety of foods that are healthy. 1/2 plate veggies, 1/4 whole grain, 1/4 legume.

Not really sure what information you are looking for. You could read books like The China Study, Eating Animals, The Food Revolution, Eat to Live, and Prevent and Reverse Heart Disease for a lot more information on the health aspects, and some of them go into other aspects.

By the way - no jelly?? Are you referring to the sugar in jelly that wouldn't be vegan or something else?
  • veganbaum
    veganbaum Posts: 1,865 Member
    Options
    Going vegetarian first could work for you, just depends on your personality. I went vegan overnight - literally - and I have never looked back (and I don't eat honey or non-vegan sugar). Thought that cheese would be hard, as I used to love all types of cheese (and cheese contains casein, which is digested as casomorphine and has an opiate effect on the brain - that's why it can be hard for some people to give it up), but for me my mindset flipped and I didn't want it anymore, so it just depends on you.
  • xraychick77
    xraychick77 Posts: 1,775 Member
    Options
    there are no cons..

a vegetarian diet is a very healthy diet and considered a healthy diet by the US government, according to gov guidelines.
    many doctors and doctor organizations endorse a vegetarian and well planned vegan diet, as the benefits are great.

to be vegan is a commitment and takes a very well planned out diet. there are a few nutrients and viatmins vegans can miss out on.

i am what is considered vegetarian..i do eat eggs and some dairy..a vegan consumes nor uses any product that is from an animal.

its not hard becoming a vegetarian or vegan, you just have to do it..i decided one day and never looked back. its not like quitting smoking or something..
  • makemetinyplz
    Options
    I'm going Vegetarian. I'll cut out meat but I'll still eat fish, eggs, dairy and occaisonally some grilled chicken.
  • maidentl
    maidentl Posts: 3,203 Member
    Options
    By the way - no jelly?? Are you referring to the sugar in jelly that wouldn't be vegan or something else?

I think she is probably referring to gelatin.
  • NeverTry
    NeverTry Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    It sounds like Vegetarian is for you, as eating any animal products rules out the Vegan option.

Its not hard to be vegetarian, as you can really modify how deep you want to go into it.

And I don't think there are many cons, except perhaps when you are eating out with a group of non Veg*n's, sometime can be hard to find variety and options. But you get used to it, and these days there are waaaay more options that when i first became vegetarian.

With the simplest change, you can be a vego... you can eat everything, except meat :happy:
  • sometimes_blondie
    Options
    Just do the research on nutrition to make sure you get the proper amount of protiens and vitamins. It gets a little difficult to obtain everything you need. And make sure you take a good supplement to cover your bases! I, myself, am a lacto-ovo vegetarian becaus it'smuch easier to get all my nutrients that way. Just make sure you educate yourself and you'll be fine. Good luck! : )
  • dancer4275
    Options

actually...being a vegan means consuming no product that comes from an animal. most jelly has collagen (inside of animal skin/bone). but I'm not going to be that extreme!

thanks for the input everyone! it was very helpful!
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    Most bread is vegan. It rarely has any animal product in it. Read some labels, and you'll see.

Also, unless the jelly has gelatin in it (most do not), it is also vegan.

It sounds like you seriously need to do your research on this subject before considering it even further.

That said, a vegan diet makes it very difficult to get the necessary nutrients in the proper amounts. You have to seriously plan ahead and think about what you're eating to ensure you get the B vitamins (you'll probably need a supplement -- and make sure it's vegan because many contain gelatin) and enough protein and iron.
  • rml_16
    Options
    I'm going Vegetarian. I'll cut out meat but I'll still eat fish, eggs, dairy and occaisonally some grilled chicken.

Fish and chicken are meat.
  • dancer4275
    Options
    Most bread is vegan. It rarely has any animal product in it. Read some labels, and you'll see.

Also, unless the jelly has gelatin in it (most do not), it is also vegan.

It sounds like you seriously need to do your research on this subject before considering it even further.

That said, a vegan diet makes it very difficult to get the necessary nutrients in the proper amounts. You have to seriously plan ahead and think about what you're eating to ensure you get the B vitamins (you'll probably need a supplement -- and make sure it's vegan because many contain gelatin) and enough protein and iron.

yes I do! just wanted to throw it out there on here first and see what people said...especially those who have done it. I'm thinking vegetarian might me a wiser idea!
  • j_cro
    j_cro Posts: 10
    Options
    I wouldn't try and go vegan straight off, your body will be crying out for the things it's used to...I'd still find it hard to go fully vegan and I've been vegetarian for years....

I's start off by replacing your meat with a veggie alternative in some of your meals, (e.g. a different vegetable or Quorn or something you haven't tried before), and see how you get on. One of the hardest things I found to get used to was cooking differently.

Get used to trying new things! I love the variety that comes with being a vegetarian, cooking different vegetables in season, new recipes...

The worst thing is discovering your favourite drink or chocolate has an animal product in it so bear that in mind....
  • rml_16
    Options
    I'd like to say, also, that if you want to go vegetarian, go vegetarian. It's silly to call yourself vegetarian and give up meat and then eat products that contain gelatin or soups that are made with chicken stock. Many restaurants make their soups with it -- even their vegetable and tomato soups. You always have to ask. And marshmallows will be off the menu, as well.

You have to look for yogurt made with pectin rather than gelatin. I've been vegetarian for almost three years and I'm still learning of things I didn't realize weren't veg and navigating my way through this. But I would never KNOWINGLY consume something that an animal (even a fish or crustacean) had to die for.

I do eat eggs and dairy and don't plan on giving them up.
  • VeganGal84
    VeganGal84 Posts: 938 Member
    Options
    :flowerforyou: Vegan here!

I love eating vegan. The pro's and con's will probably be different for everyone, but for me...

pro's-

~choosing healthier and more whole foods (most of my old favorite junk foods were not vegan)
    ~ feeling lighter and happier (no more contributing to animal suffering from factory farms or anywhere else)
    ~ not feeling hypocritical when I say, "I love animals"
    ~ my IBS problems have vanished (I suspect that my GI tract had issues with meat and dairy, not whole grains and raw veggies like my doctors told me)
    ~ I've lost a lot of weight (but this is also because I've been counting calories and exercising)
    ~ I'm healthier than I've ever been

con's-

~ It can be hard to go out to eat or to go eat at someone else's house, or at a family gathering
    ~ People will ask, "If you don't eat meat, what DO you eat?" constantly
    ~ you will get asked about your dietary choices constantly and will have to learn how to either defend your choice or just deflect the questions (I'm more in the second group, because I'm not one to preach about vegan eating unless REALLY provoked to do so)

I'm sure that there are more, but I hope my lists helped you! Make sure to do a lot of research about vegan eating, maybe pick up a copy of Alicia Silverstone's The Kind Diet, which helped me in my transition.
  • dancer4275
    Options

I love eating vegan. The pro's and con's will probably be different for everyone, but for me...

pro's-

~choosing healthier and more whole foods (most of my old favorite junk foods were not vegan)
    ~ feeling lighter and happier (no more contributing to animal suffering from factory farms or anywhere else)
    ~ my IBS problems have vanished (I suspect that my GI tract had issues with meat and dairy, not whole grains and raw veggies like my doctors told me)
    ~ I've lost a lot of weight (but this is also because I've been counting calories and exercising)

con's-

~ It can be hard to go out to eat or to go eat at someone else's house, or at a family gathering
    ~ you will get asked about your dietary choices constantly and will have to learn how to either defend your choice or just deflect the questions (I'm more in the second group, because I'm not one to preach about vegan eating unless REALLY provoked to do so)

I'm sure that there are more, but I hope my lists helped you! Make sure to do a lot of research about vegan eating, maybe pick up a copy of Alicia Silverstone's The Kind Diet, which helped me in my transition.

thank you! looks like the pros outweigh the cons. no pun intended.
  • rml_16
    Options

pro's-

con's-

You forgot one. I hear, "But you eat fish, right?" ALL.THE.TIME.

I find this particularly funny coming from friends and family who have known me my whole life. I never ate fish. Never liked it. But apparently, becoming vegetarian means I started to like and eat fish. I also had an aunt who insisted that seafood is always part of a vegetarian diet.

Thankfully, I am surrounded by people who are or were vegetarian at some point. My parents were for a few years and my best friend is not now, but grew up in a vegetarian home. Makes it easier, for sure!

I forgot one more thing: No more leather or silk, which will seriously impede upon your shoe choices. That's been toughest for me. ;-)
  • jessradtke
    jessradtke Posts: 418 Member
    Options
    If you aren't vegetarian already, you might want to go vegetarian first before even attempting vegan. Most people who try to go "cold turkey" end up binging within a few weeks. ANY drastic diet change is difficult, but completely giving up entire food groups overnight will likely cause problems.

There are healthy vegetarian/vegan diets and unhealthy ones. If you want to go veg but eat lots of french fries, chips, pizza, veggie burgers, and stuff like that (what I call the "teen vegetarian diet" because I see it the most in teens), I think it's pretty obvious that it's not really any healthier than the standard American diet. If you change your diet to include lots more veggies, fruits and legumes, you will be healthier whether you decide to be veg or not. For that reason, I recommend that people who think they want to go veg start by simply eating LESS meat and dairy and MORE whole, plant based foods. Concentrate on making your diet HEALTHIER first then adjust the animal based parts to the point YOU are comfortable with.

Don't feel like you have to follow someone else's definition of vegetarianism or veganism. Some vegetarians and vegans worry about things like gelatin and honey while others don't. I've known some vegans who were so strict that they wouldn't even go see a movie because film is made with gelatin! It can get really crazy and borderline OCD if you try to be too strict about it. Again...you only have to take it as far as YOU are comfortable.

If you really want to go veg, don't let the "you won't get enough nutrients/protein/calcium/whatever" crowd scare you. Not all vegans or vegetarians have that problem. I was either vegan or vegetarian (mostly vegan) for decades and never had a single issue. Eat a wide variety of whole foods and don't be overly strict about your food choices and you are less likely to have issues.