Vegan/vegetarian! PLEASE READ AND RESPOND!

Options

Replies

• VeganGal84
    VeganGal84 Posts: 938 Member
    Options

Don't feel like you have to follow someone else's definition of vegetarianism or veganism. Some vegetarians and vegans worry about things like gelatin and honey while others don't. I've known some vegans who were so strict that they wouldn't even go see a movie because film is made with gelatin! It can get really crazy and borderline OCD if you try to be too strict about it. Again...you only have to take it as far as YOU are comfortable.

OH NO!!! I CANNOT EVER SEE A MOVIE AGAIN NOW THAT I KNOW THIS!!!!!!!!!

... just kidding.

Great post, I couldn't have said it better myself. I sometimes tell people that there are vegans out there who would look at my diet and lifestyle and say that I'm in fact NOT a vegan, just because there are so many definitions of it. :laugh:

There are definately different levels of veganism, and I agree that there is no need to try to fit into any little box.
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options

Don't feel like you have to follow someone else's definition of vegetarianism or veganism. Some vegetarians and vegans worry about things like gelatin and honey while others don't. I've known some vegans who were so strict that they wouldn't even go see a movie because film is made with gelatin! It can get really crazy and borderline OCD if you try to be too strict about it. Again...you only have to take it as far as YOU are comfortable.

... just kidding.

Great post, I couldn't have said it better myself. I sometimes tell people that there are vegans out there who would look at my diet and lifestyle and say that I'm in fact NOT a vegan, just because there are so many definitions of it. :laugh:

There are definately different levels of veganism, and I agree that there is no need to try to fit into any little box.

This is my issue. There are not "different levels of veganism" or different definitions of vegetarian. If you are vegetarian, you do not eat food that includes any part of a dead animal. If you are vegan, you do not eat anything that contains an animal product.

If you eat those things, then you maybe eat a "mostly" vegetarian or vegan diet, but you are not a vegetarian or a vegan. They have very specific definitions.

If you aren't going to worry about gelatin, then you aren't a vegetarian. If you're going to eat honey and dairy, you're not a vegan.

It's your choice how and what you eat and for what reasons, but I feel incredibly insulted as a vegetarian who makes an effort to actually eat a vegetarian diet when someone claims to be vegetarian even though that person eats fish or gelatin or things like that.
  • jessradtke
    jessradtke Posts: 418 Member
    Options

... just kidding.

That kind of stuff is funny to me too, but it's serious business to some people. You should have seen the panic sticken looks on the faces of the other vegans standing there. I could see the wheels turning in their heads, wondering if they had to give up going to the movies in order to be a "real" vegan. LOL He was getting off on it too because he had that smug "holier vegan than thou" look on his face. It can get really weird in vegan circles.
  • VeganGal84
    Options

... just kidding.

This is my issue. There are not "different levels of veganism" or different definitions of vegetarian. If you are vegetarian, you do not eat food that includes any part of a dead animal. If you are vegan, you do not eat anything that contains an animal product.

If you eat those things, then you maybe eat a "mostly" vegetarian or vegan diet, but you are not a vegetarian or a vegan. They have very specific definitions.

If you aren't going to worry about gelatin, then you aren't a vegetarian. If you're going to eat honey and dairy, you're not a vegan.

It's your choice how and what you eat and for what reasons, but I feel incredibly insulted as a vegetarian who makes an effort to actually eat a vegetarian diet when someone claims to be vegetarian even though that person eats fish or gelatin or things like that.

I respectfully disagree with you. There are absolutely, 100%, many different levels of veganism. For example, I eat a vegan diet, but I don't necessarily have a completely vegan lifestyle. Also, I will eat some processed foods that say "processed on equipment that also processes dairy" or whatever, as long as all ingredients are not animal products, to me it's vegan. But some vegans disagree.

I'm with you on the fish and gelatin, though. To me, you can't be a vegetarian if you eat those things. But I won't tell someone who eats those things that they aren't vegetarain, if they want to identifiy as such, what business is it of mine?

I don't work hard to be vegan to make other people feel badly. I work hard to be a vegan for MYSELF and for THE ANIMALS. Period.
  • Qarol
    Qarol Posts: 6,171 Member
    Options
    Isn't being vegan more than just what you eat? It's about not using animal products, period. It's not something to be taken lightly. If you eat honey, you're not really vegan. But also, you shouldn't wear wool or leather. You shouldn't use lotions or shampoos that are made with any animal products. Even some vitamins have a gelatin coating that's made from animals. Being vegan is more than food.

I'm certainly not telling you what to eat or how to live. Eat what you feel is best for you. Why is there a need to label it vegan?
  • Kristhin
    Kristhin Posts: 442 Member
    Options
    No cons, only pros!

I've been vegan 10 months now and loving it! I go to vegan potlucks in the city where I live, I go to protests, I watch documentaries, I've taken a class on it, read books on it, shop at veg friendly 100% organic grocery stores, and made many other life changes associated but not directly related to veganism. I love the changes in my life that its brought.
  • rml_16
    Options
    But it's not about making other people feel badly. It's insulting to ME that they consider that vegetarian. It just isn't.

I do get you and agree about the "processed on equipment" part. You aren't contributing to anything by that. That's equivalent to people who won't eat off a plate that had meat on it at some point or kiss their SO after he or she ate meat. That's extreme.

But when people (whatever they eat or don't) think fish aren't animals, that bugs me a lot. It has a face and a nervous system, it's an animal.

Maybe it's the poor logic that bugs me more than anything else. But I think there's a huge difference between eating something that touched a surface that touched meat or dairy and eating something that contains meat or dairy (if you're vegan for the dairy part).
  • rml_16
    Options

I'm certainly not telling you what to eat or how to live. Eat what you feel is best for you. Why is there a need to label it vegan?

You just said exactly what I'm trying to say, but much better! lol
  • jessradtke
    Options

This is EXACTLY what I'm talking about. You just gave YOUR definition of a "dietary vegetarian". Other people would argue that vegetarianism isn't just about diet. A "TRUE" vegan/vegetarian would be living a certain lifestyle, not just making certain dietary choices. What if someone eats a vegetarian diet but wears leather? What if it was leather they owned before they became vegan? Does that make a difference? To some it would and to some it wouldn't

For some people, the number of "steps" away from a living animal a product is determines if it is acceptable or not. Meat isn't acceptable because it is only one "step" away from a living creature. A miniscule amount of gelatin in film may be acceptable though because it is several "steps" removed from having been a living creature.

And there are vegetarians that have other concerns as well as animal rights and who weigh their choices based on what they think is best. For example, if you have a choice between a vegetable soup made with whole ingredients but with chicken flavor in the broth or a highly processed GMO soy based veggie burger, which is the "better" choice? You won't get all vegetarians to agree on that. Or is it better to buy a product (for example, shoes) that has some components of animal origin, or to choose a non-animal based product made with petroleum derivatives? Which is "better"? Again, you won't be able to get all vegetarians to agree.

Vegetarianism and veganism are NOT cut and dried. If they were, all vegetarians/vegans would make exactly the same choices.
  • Kalrez
    Kalrez Posts: 655 Member
    Options

... just kidding.

Any effort is better than no effort.

I consider myself to be (mostly) vegetarian. However, if you check my log you'll see a few non-vegetarian choices last week. Big whoop. I don't go around telling everyone I'm a vegetarian; the label is for my own personal use. I also consider myself to be freakin' fabulous, but there are people who would disagree - just as how people will disagree on whether or not I'm actually a vegetarian. It's a personal label.

To the OP: Do what you feel is comfortable. I was a strict vegetarian (constantly checked labels for even the tiniest minutia of animal product; would not eat eggs & only occasionally eat dairy). I can't function well in my current situation like that, so I'm a lot more flexible. Any effort you make to reduce your animal consumption is a good thing. If you have to eat chicken once a month in order to manage not eating it every day or every week, then that's fine. Do what you're comfortable doing. Your body. Your health.
  • rml_16
    Options

This is EXACTLY what I'm talking about. You just gave YOUR definition of a "dietary vegetarian". Other people would argue that vegetarianism isn't just about diet. A "TRUE" vegan/vegetarian would be living a certain lifestyle, not just making certain dietary choices. What if someone eats a vegetarian diet but wears leather? What if it was leather they owned before they became vegan? Does that make a difference? To some it would and to some it wouldn't

For some people, the number of "steps" away from a living animal a product is determines if it is acceptable or not. Meat isn't acceptable because it is only one "step" away from a living creature. A miniscule amount of gelatin in film may be acceptable though because it is several "steps" removed from having been a living creature.

And there are vegetarians that have other concerns as well as animal rights and who weigh their choices based on what they think is best. For example, if you have a choice between a vegetable soup made with whole ingredients but with chicken flavor in the broth or a highly processed GMO soy based veggie burger, which is the "better" choice? You won't get all vegetarians to agree on that. Or is it better to buy a product (for example, shoes) that has some components of animal origin, or to choose a non-animal based product made with petroleum derivatives? Which is "better"? Again, you won't be able to get all vegetarians to agree.

Vegetarianism and veganism are NOT cut and dried. If they were, all vegetarians/vegans would make exactly the same choices.

OK. Well, it's not MY definition:

veg·e·tar·i·an   /ˌvɛdʒɪˈtɛəriən/ Show Spelled[vej-i-tair-ee-uhn] Show IPA
    noun
    a person who does not eat or does not believe in eating meat, fish, fowl, or, in some cases, any food derived from animals, as eggs or cheese, but subsists on vegetables, fruits, nuts, grain, etc.

ve·gan   /ˈvigən/ Show Spelled[vee-guhn] Show IPA
    noun
    a vegetarian who omits all animal products from the diet.

And, clearly, if you won't eat meat, you shouldn't be wearing it, either. I would think that goes without saying.

Even before I was vegetarian, I had a friend who was one of those obnoxious, holier-than-thou, in-your-face vegetarians. But she loved Birkenstocks (which are made out of leather). I always found that quite amusing and ridiculous. How serious are you about it if you're wearing something you won't eat?

Like someone above said: What you eat, wear, whatever if your own business. My daughter and boyfriend eat meat. My friends eat it. I don't care. But why call yourself a vegetarian if you eat meat or wear leather? Why call yourself vegan if you don't follow the diet/lifestyle? Because you think it makes you sound interesting? That's the only reason I can think of. Or else you really just don't understand it.

It takes a lot of work, asking the right questions, reading labels, etc., to do this right. When someone who doesn't do those things or eats those things uses the label, it diminishes the efforts of those of us who do.
  • VeganGal84
    Options
    oooh, I am starting to want to debate this hard-core, however... I don't think that's what the original poster wanted from this thread.

Let's just agree to disagree.
  • jessradtke
    Options
    But it's not about making other people feel badly. It's insulting to ME that they consider that vegetarian. It just isn't.

I do get you and agree about the "processed on equipment" part. You aren't contributing to anything by that. That's equivalent to people who won't eat off a plate that had meat on it at some point or kiss their SO after he or she ate meat. That's extreme.

But when people (whatever they eat or don't) think fish aren't animals, that bugs me a lot. It has a face and a nervous system, it's an animal.

Maybe it's the poor logic that bugs me more than anything else. But I think there's a huge difference between eating something that touched a surface that touched meat or dairy and eating something that contains meat or dairy (if you're vegan for the dairy part).

Again, there's a huge difference TO YOU. But for some vegetarians getting someone else's meat juices on their veggie burger is essentially the same thing as being force fed a marhmallow made with gelatin, or soup that contains "natural flavor" that was made from chicken. And to others, the meat juices on that plate or grill would be WORSE because the meat juices came directly from a piece of flesh while the "natural flavor" is more processed and therefore farther removed from an actual animal.

And if you are buying foods that are processed on equipment that also processes meat or dairy, you ARE contributing to something. You are supporting a business that is not vegetarian/vegan. Supporting completely veg companies rather than companies that are not veg matters to some vegans/vegetarians.

By the way, I'm not arguing about whether you personally are veg or not. It honestly doesn't matter to me what your definition is. I'm only arguing that your definition does not fit ALL vegetarians and that there ARE different "levels" of vegetariansms and veganism. You've more or less admitted that right here by saying that some forms of vegetarianism are "extreme". Those "extreme" vegetarians would probably tell you you aren't vegetarian enough. lol
  • tattooedtwiin
    Options
    Vegan -- Vegans not only abstain from eating meat, meat byproducts, dairy and eggs, they do not eat animal products of any kind. For example, they do not eat honey.

Ovo-lacto vegetarian -- Literal translation is "egg-milk vegetarian." This is what most people think of when they think of vegetarians; they do not eat meat or meat byproducts, but they do eat animal products such as dairy, honey and eggs.

Lacto-vegetarians -- Do not eat eggs but do eat dairy products (many Hindus are lacto-vegetarians).

Ovo-vegetarians -- Do not eat dairy products but do eat eggs.

Pescatarian -- Literal translation is "fish eater." Pescatarians include fish and other seafood in their diet, but not other meats. This is often a stepping-stone to full vegetarianism, but can also simply be a way of eating a more healthy diet by giving up red meats.

Fruitarians -- Do not eat any plant product that involves killing the plant; they mostly eat fruit and nuts.

None of the Above (NOTA) -- For folks who feel they don't quite fit into any of the above categories. Some people also use the word "flexitarian
  • heathersmilez
    heathersmilez Posts: 2,579 Member
    Options
    Became vegan almost a month ago and I've never even tried to be vegetarian, it was very easy to just stop eating meat, eggs, dairy, gluten, honey etc.

My original reason was more so for me, not to save the animals or the environmental destruction as I read that it's hard for your body to digest meat and that you would feel incredible once it and dairy is out of your system.

I haven't noticed a single difference so right now, I am not pro-vegan although I am still acting like it for the time being, why? I have no idea.
  • heathersmilez
    heathersmilez Posts: 2,579 Member
    Options
    I respectfully disagree with you. There are absolutely, 100%, many different levels of veganism. For example, I eat a vegan diet, but I don't necessarily have a completely vegan lifestyle. Also, I will eat some processed foods that say "processed on equipment that also processes dairy" or whatever, as long as all ingredients are not animal products, to me it's vegan. But some vegans disagree.

That's nice to hear, I say that I am vegan but to people I suspect are even MORE vegan than I, I say I am 90% vegan since labels are so important to people. For example, NOT calling yourself a vegetarian if you eat fish, you are a pescetarian.

The reason why I'm 90% vegan is I have no intention to throw away or donate the leather furniture in my home or cars, leather shoes or silk/wool clothing and most breads don't have milk or eggs in them however, they often have warnings such as may contain milk or egg products and I decide that it doesn't that's just a warning to prevent liability for those with allergies.

Veganism is about being in touch with yourself first and foremost and with nature secondly if not almost equality. First and foremost, I am a deal hunter and love all the success I’ve had being that way so that money can be spent on luxury items and if that means I’ll take the warning bread on sale for $1.97 rather than organic bread for $5, I’ll make that choice over and over again and be happy.
  • Iceskatefanrn
    Iceskatefanrn Posts: 489 Member
    Options
    I find this to be an interesting thread, and just thought I'd throw in some interesting info...

http://blogs.ocweekly.com/stickaforkinit/2011/03/five_things_youd_think_would_b.php

According to this article, if you are going PURE VEGAN, you'd better be prepared to "bite the bullet" for any surgery you have, because general anesthesia can't be done without an egg product...

Also, watch out for "Heart Healthy" Orange juice, MIGHT be enriched with fish oils to get those fabulously healthy Omega 3's.

It also warns against some brands of dry-roasted peanuts, non-dairy creamers, and in some churches the holy communion is not vegan.

It's all very interesting...

:drinker:

Ice
  • dancer4275
    dancer4275 Posts: 149
    Options
    oooh, I am starting to want to debate this hard-core, however... I don't think that's what the original poster wanted from this thread.

Let's just agree to disagree.

no, no! I like discussion! I'm very interested in the lifestyle and affects of being a vegan/vegetarian....As long as everyone is doing it nicely!
  • veganbaum
    veganbaum Posts: 1,865 Member
    Options
    By the way - no jelly?? Are you referring to the sugar in jelly that wouldn't be vegan or something else?

actually...being a vegan means consuming no product that comes from an animal. most jelly has collagen (inside of animal skin/bone). but I'm not going to be that extreme!

thanks for the input everyone! it was very helpful!

I do know that's what it means, though within the vegan community there is debate about whether or not eating things like honey is acceptable. I do not eat non-vegan cane sugar as it is processed using bone char, but I personally do not find that extreme or a hindrance in how I choose to eat because I try to avoid cane sugar most of the time even when it is vegan. There’s also debate in the vegan community about whether the processing matters or not. In my opinion, if I can avoid it, I will. Unfortunately, many things in our daily lives have involved animal products in their production at some point, so I just do what I can.

I guess it has been so long since I have bought conventional jelly that I didn't even know that was in there. I only buy jam that is sweetened with fruit juice and uses fruit pectin to jell (ingredients: real fruit, apple or grape juice concentrate, fruit pectin). Hence, my first thought being cane sugar. Now I’ll have to look into that collagen thing since I’ve never heard of that before, gives me something new to look into!
  • veganbaum
    veganbaum Posts: 1,865 Member
    Options
    I find this to be an interesting thread, and just thought I'd throw in some interesting info...

http://blogs.ocweekly.com/stickaforkinit/2011/03/five_things_youd_think_would_b.php

According to this article, if you are going PURE VEGAN, you'd better be prepared to "bite the bullet" for any surgery you have, because general anesthesia can't be done without an egg product...

Also, watch out for "Heart Healthy" Orange juice, MIGHT be enriched with fish oils to get those fabulously healthy Omega 3's.

It also warns against some brands of dry-roasted peanuts, non-dairy creamers, and in some churches the holy communion is not vegan.

It's all very interesting...

:drinker:

Ice

There's simply no way to be "pure vegan." Too many products in dail;y life use animals at one point or another. Sometimes this is used as an argument against veganism (essentially to rile us up). In my opinion the reality is - just because there are some things out of your control, doesn't mean you shouldn't do anything. That's like saying you don't recycle because not everyone does, so why bother?