protein supplement recommendations?

Options
inlander
inlander Posts: 339 Member
I need to boost the amount of protein I ingest AND I need something good for after I work out. I'd like to try a protein powder I can use in a fruit smoothie but I'd like both lower-carb and higher-protein ..... I've tried low-carb whey powder and it was AWFULLLL ... maybe you can recommend something really good?

Replies

• cownancy
    cownancy Posts: 291
    Options
    There are LOTS of different 100% Whey protein products...some are bad, some are good. If you go on the internet and look at the different companies a LOT of the companies will send you free samples to try!
  • chevy88grl
    chevy88grl Posts: 3,937 Member
    Options
    I personally love Muscle Milk. I am VERY picky about taste and this has one of the best tastes (with water OR milk). Also, Gaspari (not sure I spelled that right) is good, but is quite expensive unless you catch it "on sale" somewhere. :) We just bought graham cracker MM and it is DELICIOUS!
  • texas7005
    Options
    I personally use 100% gold standard whey protein, the taste isnt bad, and it is one of the most recognized proteins on the market!!
  • mideon_696
    mideon_696 Posts: 770 Member
    Options
    gold standard is a good one. the chocolate and strawberry mixtures taste great. The strawberry even goes well in just plain water...
    never tried a vanilla version (as you said you wanted to use it in fruit smoothies etc - vanilla is great for that).

i use another one now called 180 nutrition. I use chocolate with FF milk, and the vanilla with random shakes, like with berries, coconut milk, and greek yoghurt...been a while since i done that, will have to do it again soon!

all from online. but only availiable in australia...so may be irrelevant?

else, gold standard is where its at.
  • sgrinavi
    sgrinavi Posts: 80
    Options
    Taste is way too subjective for me render a worthwhile opinion....

With that caveat ==

Do you like chocolate?

My current favorite is -

2 servings (about 80 gms) of any chocolate 100 whey isolate protein powder
    1000 grams of non-fat, plain yogurt
    1 box of Sugar Free / Fat Free chocolate fudge pudding mix
    a tablespoon or two of Dutch process cocoa powder

whip with whisk & refrigerate. Makes four servings @ about 250 cals, 25/30 gms of protein (depending on your powder)

Also works well with vanilla protein powder & pistachio pudding mix.
  • xraychick77
    xraychick77 Posts: 1,775 Member
    Options
    what is your goal?

if its to lose weight, then you dont need a supp. if its to build muscle..you still probably dont need a supp.
  • BuffTexan
    BuffTexan Posts: 270
    Options
    There's a fine line between a "quality" whey protein powder and something that tastes "good." Why? Because the good tasting powders usually have a lot of sugar in them. :frown:

To be honest, trying to pick a protein based on taste is like trying to lose weight by doing as little effort as possible. Do this little math test on your protein: look at the label, the part that tells you how many grams of protein per scoop (24g). Next, look at the scoop serving size (35g). Divide 24 into 35 and that will give you the percentage of protein pe scoop (68% protein). So, what's the OTHER 32%?? Sugar? Fillers? Additives? :indifferent:

Do that math on Jilian Michael's Whey Protein, you'll laugh your head off. Sure, it tastes GREAT but you can get the SAME amount of protein from a big glass of milk for a FRACTION of the price. :laugh:

Check my other post, there was a discussion on quality protein powders.
  • BuffTexan
    BuffTexan Posts: 270
    Options
    I personally love Muscle Milk. I am VERY picky about taste and this has one of the best tastes (with water OR milk). Also, Gaspari (not sure I spelled that right) is good, but is quite expensive unless you catch it "on sale" somewhere. :) We just bought graham cracker MM and it is DELICIOUS!
    :noway: You do realize that MM only has 16g of protein, right? Less than 50% of the scoop is "protein." You can get the same amount of protein with 16oz of fat free milk and save a TON of $$$.
  • Tankplanker
    Tankplanker Posts: 365 Member
    Options
    I agree with m3bella, you need to look at the dietary information before buying as there is a lot of variance. Usually they add all the rubbish to make it taste better.

I drink Nutrisport 90+, 53g serving, 45.6g protein, so 86% protein, with near 0% fat and carbs. Its not the best tasting shake on the market but then if I wanted to drink a tasty milkshake I wouldn't be drinking a sudo protein shake.
  • Jayfitness27
    Options
    There are LOTS of different 100% Whey protein products...some are bad, some are good. If you go on the internet and look at the different companies a LOT of the companies will send you free samples to try!

I have to agree with this as my partner and I shop at Winco, here in kennewick WA. I picked up Whey Protien jar for about 10 bucks and i never looked back, though i am bad by not drinking it right away after a workout i try to fit it in between meals, but certainly do some shopping around and see what comes your way its the best tactic because no one knows you better than you, but i am sure this was said before, but see your doctor before starting a supplement routine.
  • IronSmasher
    IronSmasher Posts: 3,908 Member
    Options
    I agree with m3bella, you need to look at the dietary information before buying as there is a lot of variance. Usually they add all the rubbish to make it taste better.

I drink Nutrisport 90+, 53g serving, 45.6g protein, so 86% protein, with near 0% fat and carbs. Its not the best tasting shake on the market but then if I wanted to drink a tasty milkshake I wouldn't be drinking a sudo protein shake.

I've had that, the numbers were great, the price was great, it's just that it wasn't great at mixing, and the only way to get it down was by holding my nose.

If you're going to be fussy about taste, get sample sachets
  • joejccva71
    joejccva71 Posts: 2,985 Member
    Options
    You should only be taking a protein supplement when you are unable to consume your daily protein macro requirements from whole foods.

Moving on...

If price isnt an object then:

BSN Syntha -6 (Chocolate or Cookies n Cream)
    or
    Magnum Quattro 4-stage Isolate (Chocolate)

If price is more of an issue:

ON 100% Whey Gold
    or
    MyoFusion
  • Teemo
    Teemo Posts: 338
    Options
    You should only be taking a protein supplement when you are unable to consume your daily protein macro requirements from whole foods.

Moving on...

or

ON 100% Whey Gold
    or
    MyoFusion

Syntha-6 is cheaper than Myofusion and ON, but it's also higher in carbs, fats, sugars, etc. across the board. Go with ON, buy it a 10-lb bag, and enjoy. :laugh:
  • joejccva71
    joejccva71 Posts: 2,985 Member
    Options

Moving on...

or

ON 100% Whey Gold
    or
    MyoFusion

Syntha-6 is cheaper than Myofusion and ON, but it's also higher in carbs, fats, sugars, etc. across the board. Go with ON, buy it a 10-lb bag, and enjoy. :laugh:

Maybe it wasn't Syntha-6 that was pricey. Got my protein powders mixed up. Thanks =)
  • inlander
    inlander Posts: 339 Member
    Options
    This is good advice, guys/girls. I wanted a protein powder for after working out/lifting because I worry that I'm burning muscle (I get about 50g of protein on a good day). Is that enough?
  • Jeremy_S
    Jeremy_S Posts: 11
    Options
    This is good advice, guys/girls. I wanted a protein powder for after working out/lifting because I worry that I'm burning muscle (I get about 50g of protein on a good day). Is that enough?

If you're weight training and want to build lean muscle, you should consume at least 1g of protein per pound of current body weight (fitness and bodybuilding standard). So if you weigh in at 120lbs, you should consume 120g of protein a day split in all 6 meals...roughly 20g of protein a meal.

Optimum Nutrition 100% Gold Standard Whey is NSF Certified and GMP approved. I take it because of that and the White Chocolate is awesome, Caramel Toffee Fudge in oatmeal tastes amazing!
  • RangerSteve
    Options

I also just bought graham cracker muscle milk and I'm enjoying it as well. Mixed up with milk/almond milk/etc it tastes like a milkshake. Not too bad for 300 calories.
  • RangerSteve
    Options

If you're weight training and want to build lean muscle, you should consume at least 1g of protein per pound of current body weight (fitness and bodybuilding standard). So if you weigh in at 120lbs, you should consume 120g of protein a day split in all 6 meals...roughly 20g of protein a meal.

Optimum Nutrition 100% Gold Standard Whey is NSF Certified and GMP approved. I take it because of that and the White Chocolate is awesome, Caramel Toffee Fudge in oatmeal tastes amazing!

Oh really? Why should the protein be split in 6 meals? Why should someone eat 6 meals in general?

You on that there bro science?
  • maximum35
    Options
    I use Bsn- Syntha 6 great taste I mix it cocca mix unsweetend .
  • Jeremy_S
    Jeremy_S Posts: 11
    Options

Oh really? Why should the protein be split in 6 meals? Why should someone eat 6 meals in general?

You on that there bro science?

Protein is the only macro-nutrient that never stays in the body. It's constantly being released. Eating 6 balanced meals a day keeps the body's metabolism high, keeps the body in an anabolic (fat burning) state, and keeps your energy at a steady level throughout the day, and much more but I'd rather not go into heavy detail. Losing weight or gaining muscle, your body needs adequate protein to keep your muscles full and ready. I don't think people want to lose weight and become weaker as a result. If you research as well, Sumo wrestlers eat 2 BIG meals a day, that's it. They have slowed their metabolism down so much where whatever they eat, majority of it just stores as fat b/c the body has no idea when you will feed it again.

American's for so many years go by the standard "3 square meals" a day...and you wonder why we are the leading obese nation in the world. We are just one meal over the sumo diet! 6 meals split evenly throughout the day with good fats, complex carbs, and protein ensure the body a good release of energy and the protein+healthy fats keeps you satiated until your next meal.

Hope this helps.