Diet Soda or Water?

Options
2»

Replies

• Maggie_Pie1
    Maggie_Pie1 Posts: 322 Member
    Options
    I see a lot of references to high sodium content in diet soda. I'm confused - diet dr pepper has only 55 mg of sodium, which is 2% of RDA. How is that high?
  • RhonndaJ
    RhonndaJ Posts: 1,615 Member
    Options
    A lot of people will tell you negative things that drinking diet soda will do to you, and on that I'll say, learn your body's responses. I'm certain it does that to some people, but it doesn't do it to everyone, because I don't seem to have a problem when I drink diet coke.

Personally, I don't think it'll harm your weightloss, but I do think that if you put the effort into drinking as much water as you should, you'll find yourself drinking less soda.
  • brandiuntz
    brandiuntz Posts: 2,717 Member
    Options
    I am getting to the "water" phase but I have days where I just really want to drink diet soda. Will it hurt a healthy lifestyle to drink Diet Soda or will it stop progression on weight loss?

No, it won't. If you're craving a soda, have one. There is nothing wrong with having an occasional soda, diet or regular. Congrats on incorporating more water in your diet!
  • maidentl
    maidentl Posts: 3,203 Member
    Options
    Can they cause cravings? I guess so, I haven't noticed it for me personally, your mileage may vary. They are not dehydrating, that's been proven to be overstated. Any dehydrating effects of caffeine are more than countered by the liquid it's in. And the sodium is a myth as well. The one I am drinking right now say 60mg for the whole bottle. That's not high.
  • GG70
    GG70 Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    STRAIGHT UP FILTERED WATER ONLY!!! CARBONATED BEVERAGES ARE POISON AND WILL DO NOTHING TO IMPROVE YOUR HEALTH! You Don't want to JUST lose weight.. You want your body to work to it's fullest potential and be the healthiest it can be!!
  • akork
    akork Posts: 31
    Options
    "Any dehydrating effects of caffeine are more than countered by the liquid it's in."

It isn't dehydrating because the amount of caffeine requires more water than is provided in the soda it is dehydrating because when you drink a cup of soda you will tend to NOT drink a cup of water. As someone who spent a good chunk of their life dehydrated due to drinking to much soda and coffee I can attest to this. Now is the occassional soda going to dehydrate you and destroy your diet? No...the occasional "insert-bad-for-you-thing-here" is not going to destroy your diet. Diet soda certainly isn't GOOD for you though, its just a substitute for what you should be drinking...water.
  • akork
    akork Posts: 31
    Options
    "CARBONATED BEVERAGES ARE POISON "

Thats a huuuuge overstatement.
  • GG70
    GG70 Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    the "poison" comment WASN'T LITERAL... it simply does NOT SERVE our bodies and is unnecessary to consume! I was making a point...