Discouraged... Results NOT coming after nearly 3 weeks...

Options

Replies

• darrielirwin
    Options
    After reading your diary, you are eating to few calories. Up your intake of calories to 1300 and you should be fine. If you are eating to few calories, your body goes into starvation mode! Remember drink lots of water!!!!
  • lgwmab
    lgwmab Posts: 274 Member
    Options
    You are doing great! Just keep up the good work, and everything will fall into place. You may be building muscle, which weighs more then fat, always look to the positive, and bipass the negative.
  • Pavia410
    Pavia410 Posts: 12
    Options
    I'm no expert in this - but I took a look at your food diary and it doesn't look like you are eating your exercise calories. I know many people say, and I have heard that you should eat your exercise calories to lose weight more effeciently. Just a thought. BUT 4lbs in 2.5 weeks is great! I think you are doing an awesome job!
  • RedheadHen
    RedheadHen Posts: 249 Member
    Options
    Hahaha! I'm not gonna tell you to stop crying and to suck it up! I'm gonna join you! :grumble: LOL! I have been working out doing the 30DS by Jillian Michaels and I too have seen my measurements go down. BUT THE SCALE has not moved in like 2 weeks. I have been on this site now for 5 weeks and only lost 3 lbs. I also bought a new scale which has me 2-3 lbs heavier than my old scale. Talk about being discouraged. :sick: The only thing I can say is this extra fluff did not come on overnight ... so I guess it's not gonna go away overnight either. Just wanted you to see that you are not alone in your frustration! :flowerforyou:
  • Genem30
    Genem30 Posts: 431 Member
    Options
    I know exactly how you feel, I'm trying to drop a lot of weight, and a lot of days it doesn't seem to be going away fast enough. I just have to keep telling myself that in reality, it didn't take 3-4 months to put on 100lbs, and it's not going to go away in that amount of time either. 4lbs in a little over a couple of weeks is nothing to dismiss, my doctor tells me even at my weight, 2lbs/month would thrill her. I'm pushing myself for a lot more, hopefully 2-4 times more than that a month, but even if I only drop 2lbs in a month, it's still 2lbs down instead of up.

Keep it up and if you need motivation, you've always got friends here.
  • reidhome
    reidhome Posts: 26
    Options
    Thanks so much, guys... Now my tears have changed from frustration and disappointment to a little bit of relief...

You're right - overall, the scale HAS gone down.

I made my food diary public - if anyone has ideas (but PLEASE don't let it be to completely cut out WINE - I NEED MY WINE! ;-), please let me know...

And I DON'T want to drop it really fast - I want to change ME so that what comes off STAYS off. I'm tainted with The Biggest Loser kind of expectations - I had hoped to lose just 10lbs/month (which I think is reasonable for someone with as much weight to lose as I have). BUT - the time is going to pass whether I am healthy or not - I may as well drop even a pound a week.

OK - you guys ALMOST have me thinking I'll be back at the gym today.... My son had dared me to go to the gym every day until our vacation (we leave Friday), so since I won't have a gym for more than 2 weeks, I will push thru the next 4 days....

Thanks for your words, everyone... =)
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    I'm sure it's been said ad nauseum, but 4 pounds in 2.5 weeks is a fantastic loss.

But if you'd rather just stop because this "isn't working" and regain those 4 pounds, be my guest.
  • lonczakm
    lonczakm Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I would love to lose 4 pounds in 2 weeks! I think your doing great!

One thing I do want to mention...the # of calories burned by using a peice of equipment can vary greatly person to person depending on intensity etc...
  • JULIEICAC
    JULIEICAC Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    4lbs in two and a half weeks is awesome. I have been doing this for two weeks now heading into my third and I am only down 1/2 a lb. overall, but have lost inches now. So, way to go is the what I am telling you! Don't get discouraged-you are on the right path!
  • Corig22
    Corig22 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    You are doing great, don't give up. There are a ton of reasons the scale is going up. I actually lost quite a bit in my first week, but I figured it out that it was water weight. Just drinking enough water actually helped me lose that. I have had days where my weight would flux up to 3 lbs in the same day!

Weigh yourself once a week, if not once every 2 weeks, and remember you are slowly making changes. And I love what Amo said - you didn't gain it all in 2 weeks and you aren't going to lose it in two weeks. You are making life changes and those take time. But you will get there! =)
  • Fat_2_Fit_Mommy
    Fat_2_Fit_Mommy Posts: 569 Member
    Options
    Well I agree with every one, 2.5Ibs lost is good results with in 2 weeks that is awesome. Just have to be patient, and it will happen. I am like you, I am not patient but I know I can't melt off all my fat in one day I wish I could. If I knew I will let every one know.
  • dsmithy111
    Options
    Out of curiosity - what was your goal for 2.5 weeks? 4lbs is an amazing weight loss over that period and you should be proud of yourself! Be careful not to set unrealistic goals. Remember, it's a marathon, not a sprint....
  • jlc1243
    jlc1243 Posts: 287 Member
    Options
    You're doing very well! Keep your head up and don't sabotoge yourself. You are worth it!
  • H_Factor
    H_Factor Posts: 1,722 Member
    Options
    none of us gained all of our extra weight in a few weeks or a few months. it took time to add and its going to take time to lose. be patient. if you lose weight the right way (less than 2 lbs/week), you're more likely to keep it off long term...as long as you stay committed to a healthy lifestyle.

also, you may be working out TOO MUCH (seems counter intuitive, sure, but your body benefits from rest and recovery days).

drinking water might be the single most important thing you can do to help fat loss. are you drinking at least 96 ounces a day? if not, try that for a week or two and see what happens (and, continue for as long as you are able).
  • juliapurpletoes
    juliapurpletoes Posts: 951 Member
    Options
    oh.....HUG! I completely understand your impatience and how you feel that you are working your butt off to know avail! :sad:

Like your other responders, your loss so far is good, any faster and well it wouldn't stay off most likely. As far as the fluctuation (hate them too) but the body just does that and the sooner we can become comfortable knowing that the better. Try not to let that get you down.

My recmmendation would be to go back to your goal settings. Re-think and re-tweak them.. That is make sure that whatever you've chosen for your daily activity level is accurate...sedentary, lightly active, etc. I have found it is more helpful to set this without my exercise is mind. (at computer most of the day and some laundry/housekeeping makes me sedentary) And, then add exercise calories (MFP will do this as you log them in)

Speaking of those exercise calories....you must make sure they are accounted for accurately.....(the machines at the gym are NOT accurate and neither is this database) so if you don't have a heart rate monitor with chest strap get one!

And then also consider that if you are eating let's say 1200 cals....it may not be enough and your weight loss will stall occassionally....many folks have written about this!

This site is wonderful....you can research almost any area of the weight loss topic and get good solid advice (most of the time;-)

Best of Luck :smooched: P.S. I have a cocktail most days - hasn't held back my weigh loss..just keep it in the cals!
  • H_Factor
    H_Factor Posts: 1,722 Member
    Options
    one more thing...STRESS works against you. weighing yourself every day and seeing the up and down fluctuations causes stress. worrying about whether you should be losing more weight = stress. stress produces cortisol and, well, you can read about why that doesn't help with weight loss.
  • SheehyCFC
    SheehyCFC Posts: 529 Member
    Options
    Wine is fine (in moderation of course ;)). Also - you are not reaching your calorie goal most days BEFORE your workouts. you need to be hitting your goal AND EAT YOUR EXERCISE CALORIES BACK to lose the weight consistently (and in a healthy manner). Good luck - and make sure to get good water intake
    123456654321 Posts: 1,311 Member
    Options
    4lbs in 2.5 weeks is pretty much right on track. It's not recommended to lose more then 2lbs per week. Losing weight is not a fast or easy process so stick with it! Also keep in mind that being a female, your body goes through changes all month long and so does your weight. This is just water (not fat related.)

Also, looking at your diary, your calorie intake is quite low. I would try not to have more then a 500 calorie deficit on any given day or you will start to feel frustrated and low energy (that will do you no favors at all in the long run.)
  • UsedToBeHusky
    UsedToBeHusky Posts: 15,229 Member
    Options
    Don't be discouraged. Most would say that you have progressed at a normal, healthy rate. If you are obese, however, you could lose more. Some things that I have learned along the way:

1) Watch your sodium (water retention)
    2) Watch your potassium (cancels out sodium and a deficiency leads to water retention)
    3)Weigh yourself every morning when your stomach and bladder are empty. When your weight loss slows down, raise your net calories for the day. (Some disagree about weighing daily but it is the only way to know when to make an adjustment.)
    4) Eat often (small meals and snacks every 2-3 hours)
    5) Take vitamins (particularly B vitamins - helps with water retention and metabolism)

Just be patient and progress will come. You will burn less calories as you lose weight so you might need to increase the length or intensity of your workouts as you go, but don't kill yourself. Listen to your body. If you are tired, then don't exercise.

Feel free to add me if you like. Best of luck!
  • 0SimplymeStacyLea0
    Options
    Sounds like you are doing well. I've been doing this for 6 weeks and and barely at 5 lbs. I workout 5-6 times a week and like you a vigorous workout. I have been discouraged a fewwtimes in the last 6 weeks. Make sure you are surrounded by positive people. Good luck!!