Why do you snack?

I'm not much of a snacker ... a handful of nuts once in a while, usually if skipping lunch because I'm busy. Snack food is big business for convenience and food companies, so they encourage it, I guess. Some people schedule snacks throughout the day in their diary including before bed. This I don't get, so just wondering what reasons you have for doing this? Is it something you've done from childhood, part of an eating plan to lose weight, boredom, habit, or raging hunger? Other? Wanting to understand this. Thanks for any responses.

Replies

• vim_n_vigor
    vim_n_vigor Posts: 4,089 Member
    So I don't binge
  • MB_Positif
    MB_Positif Posts: 8,897 Member
    I surely grew up in a snacking household, but I actually have low blood sugar so if I don't eat at least something small between meals I get lightheaded and can't even think straight some of the time. That said, if I have a great protein filled breakfast I usually don't snack nearly as much! So basically I usually just snack to make sure I don't become "stupid" between meals!
  • jlschuh44
    jlschuh44 Posts: 218
    Usually - simply because I'm bored...and just slightly hungry.
  • rmsrws
    rmsrws Posts: 639 Member
    I snack because I am hungry and feeling sluggish. I can't consume large quantities at meal time, so my snacks are more of a supplement. If I eat 5-6 very small meals, I am full and satisfied.
  • Jamcnair
    Jamcnair Posts: 586 Member
    I usually snack because I'm hungry between meals and don't want to become ravenous and overeat or let my blood sugar drop...there are times when I feel like snacking because I'm bored or watching tv, but I try not to let myself do that
  • Mom2rh
    Mom2rh Posts: 612 Member
    Hungry, thirsty, bored, stressed...
  • andreahanlon
    andreahanlon Posts: 263 Member
    I snack when I'm hungry to maintain blood sugar levels so I don't overeat at meals. Sometimes if I don't snack in between meals, I feel ravenous and totally overeat unintentionally; so it's easier to control my food intake if I eat little bits throughout the day. That's my good snacking. I "bad" snack sometimes out of boredom/relaxation... like when watching TV on the weekend. That's the snacking I try to avoid!!!
  • MrsCon40
    MrsCon40 Posts: 2,351 Member
    I only snack if I am ravenously hungry and it's not time for a meal. I have to be careful, though, because snacks can snowball into a binge quite easily.

Instead I try to eat larger meals where I feel honestly full. Knowing that I have a good sized meal coming up helps me resist the urge to snack.
  • melizerd
    melizerd Posts: 870 Member
    Scheduled snacks are so that I remember to eat more often, so that I don't think I'm ZOMG starving at a meal and over eat there. It keeps my tummy happy :D

I do unscheduled snacks because I'm bored or feel crummy, stress etc. So I'm working on that. I TRY to remember "are you hungry or are you bored?" before I eat something.
  • MissMaryMac33
    MissMaryMac33 Posts: 1,433 Member
    I do better when I eat 5 or 6 small meals closer together...helps my metabolism and its something I learned to do when I was diabetic. The weight loss reversed the diabetes, but I still prefer it... usually my snacks are just protein shakes between meals so it keeps me feeling full all day.
  • debdptg
    debdptg Posts: 94 Member
    I think I snack for many reasons - habit, custom, comfort. But, I have found that if I don't plan and control my snacks - make them official - then I will eventually cave in and do something stupid. So, I guess I snack so I can control what I put in my mouth.
  • pbeans
    pbeans Posts: 42
    I have been known to snack out of boredom but now I try to make sure I snack so that I stay balanced.
  • LivLovLrn
    LivLovLrn Posts: 580 Member
    Some days I am just more hungry than others. Also, I have a hard time getting all my calories on days that I exercise, so it is nice to have a snack to fill in some, since I eat until I am full at meals. One more reason is that I am hypoglycemic and sometimes I just feel like I need to eat to get back on an "even keel". Often I'll eat fruit for a snack, or veggies or nuts.
  • ShaoonaRae
    ShaoonaRae Posts: 60 Member
    It's better for your metabolism if you eat 6-7 small snackish meals a day as opposed to 3 big meals a day. I used to only eat once a day, and even though I didn't eat more than what I burned, I gained weight from it. I switched to the snacking approach and I feel more energized, and I'm losing weight.
  • wickedcricket
    wickedcricket Posts: 1,246 Member
    I might have a piece of fruit between breakfast & lunch if my breakfast was light. It's generally a long time between lunch & supper so I have something to keep me from getting too ravenous. I try NOT to snack after supper/before bed.
    Most diets that I've seen recommend 4 or more small meals per day instead of 3 big ones. This seems to suit me better. I get too hungry between meals in the afternoons.
  • fteale
    fteale Posts: 5,310 Member
    I go through phases. Mostly I don't snack, but I do schedule in an evening one, because sometimes if we are watching a film I like to have a drink or some yoghurt (especially if I haven't met my food quota), and it isn't accurate to list it under supper if it's 3 hours later.

In my family we always have afternoon tea between 4 and 5pm. I don't know if you would count it as a snack. It is as much a meal as lunch in my family, usually toast or scones for the children, as they are always starving after school. Again I don't always have anything, usually just a cup of tea and a piece of fruit, but it still needs to be listed IMO.

I think for a lot of people, it's a way to break up the day. If you are at work, 1pm can seem a long time from breakfast, and I think it is reasonable to have something to look forward to as a bit of a break mid-morning. I don't work, so it isn't relevant to me, I never have breakfast until 10am (after the school and nursery runs and exercise), but I can see why people do it.
  • MHackrott
    MHackrott Posts: 84 Member
    You should be eating every 3-4hrs to keep your metabolism going. You should stick with healthy good for you snacks. If you schedule them ahead of time and preplan and prepare you wont be as tempted to grab something unhealthy
  • ChantalGG
    ChantalGG Posts: 2,404 Member
    I cant have chocolate for dinner. duh
  • Most people do it for health reasons as you get older if you don't eat for more than 4hrs you start getting shaky and light headed and you can't think straight this happens if you are hypoglycemic and most people are and if you have blood sugar problems like diabetic people. It is a good idea to balance your diet every 2-3 hrs so you are not hungry all the time.
  • baisleac
    baisleac Posts: 2,019 Member
    To make sure I keep my digestive thermogenic engine running... and as reminders to eat (left to my own devices I'll forget).