Anyone up for a swimming challenge?

Options
Hi everyone! Swimming is my primary form of exercise and I'm looking for a few people to swim along with me. My August goal is 50,000 yards and I'm wondering if anyone else would like an accountability partner for swimming? I'm hoping to increase to 55,000 yards in September, but it doesn't matter how far or how long you swim, just that you're in the water.

If you're not up for the challenge, but are interested in swimming and want to friend me, please feel free!

Replies

• GladImTall
    GladImTall Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    i'm IN! I swim 3-4 times a week, usually for about an hour each. depending on what kind of drills or workout my workout buddy and I do- we usually average about 4K yards per swim... Friend me and we'll work out the details?
  • FitMama2013
    FitMama2013 Posts: 919 Member
    Options
    Looks like it's just you and me so far - I'm thinking we could do small challenges every week, like 4 X 100 free on the fastest interval you can make, or 8 X 25 kick underwater with no breath. Do you think that would be better than yardage challenges? We could take turns posting some challenges at the beginning of the week and report how we do! Just a thought...let me know what you're thinking!
  • boyflowerbird
    Options
    i am in. .. like the idea of the themed challenges vs. the yardage (you kill me with 3000+!!!).

cool! thanks for doing this. . . it'll be a good way to shake things up.
  • stelid
    stelid Posts: 60
    Options
    I'm in! I swam in high school and on and off in college (I just graduated). I love the set idea 4X100s, etc. I usually try to get at least 2,000 yards in per hour of swimming. Its been a few months now, so I might be a little slow now--but I want to get back into it!!
  • FitMama2013
    Options
    Woohooo we're up to 4 of us now! I know the week is already halfway over, but let's see if we can get a challenge in this week. How about we start with the 4 X 100 free on the fastest interval you can make. To hold each other accountable, let's post on here once we've completed it, and if you want to include how you did then feel free! For me, I think it will help motivate me to keep pushing harder if I know I have to post times on here :) But that's just me - y'all do whatever works for you.

Starting next week we'll do 2 challeges per week, if y'all think that's a good number. Let me know if y'all have a set you want the group to do!!

Also - is anyone interested in monthly yardage or time goals? I'll post my progress on here towards my monthly goal because I think it will help me stay accountable to y'all, but again, if that's not your thing then don't worry about it :)

Let me know if y'all have ideas on how we can encourage each other when swimming in pools across the country!
  • GladImTall
    GladImTall Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    Sounds good! I've really only picked up swimming a year or so ago- mostly for exercise- so the speed work will be a fun change!

So- that being said- I'm still learning the 'lingo'... a 4X100 free at the fastest interval you can make... do you want our fastest time out of all 4 sets or an average? Or- do you want us to list our times on each 100?
  • TroyBa
    TroyBa Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    I'm in for a swimming challenge! I like the weekly challenge and the total yardage/meters per month ideas. Swimming is my daily exercise and I'm training for a few open water swims coming up at the end of this month.
  • FitMama2013
    Options
    Awesome - welcome Troy! And GladImTall - sorry about the lingo :) I'm going to do the set on an interval of 1:25 per 100 - so, if it takes me 1:23 to do each 100 I only get 2 seconds rest before I do the next 100, but if I go 1:15 then I get 10 seconds rest before I go again. This set is short, but really good because you're basically sprinting as hard as you can and getting a little bit of rest. I'm going to try to hold 1:18 or better on each of the four 100s. Once I'm finished I'll post times for each of my 100s here so when I repeat the set in a few weeks I'll see how I progressed (and can hopefully do them on 1:20 interval next time). If you don't want to post times, then you can just post that you completed the challenge!

Be sure to check the thread weekly because I'll post the new challenges on Sunday! If you have ideas for a challenge you'd like to do, please send it my way :)

If you have a yardage goal per month, please post it here so we can hold each other accountable! My goal for August is 50,000 yards and I'm currently at 22,400. Gotta get my butt moving if I'm going to make it! I'm going to update my yardage on Sundays, so I encourage y'all to do the same if you're tracking it (or minutes in the pool, whatever you're tracking).

As always, any other ideas on how we can do this are welcome!
  • TroyBa
    Options
    I'm planning on swimming the 4x100m @1:30 intervals tomorrow morning and I'll post my results. My goal for this month is to hit 60,000 meters by Sept. 1st, I'm currently at 39,000 with 21000 to go!
  • DelightfullyWifed
    Options
    Em I can do 4x100s tonight. These thigns I can do, i just can't do the yardage yet. Most likely I will do them on 1:30 and see what i can hold.

:)
  • TroyBa
    Options
    Finished the first challenge by swimming the 4x100 m @1:30! I've been concentrating on distance for upcoming open water swims so it was a nice change of pace to sprint a little. ;)
  • FitMama2013
    Options
    Great job Troy! How far is your open water swim? You're much braver than I am - I stick with chlorine where I can see the bottom, haha :) But what an accomplishment to swim outdoors!
  • stelid
    Options
    I did the 4X100s on the 1:45 (don't laugh!). I could not believe how hard that was for me. I am glad I did it though. :)
  • emmabeckemeyer1
    emmabeckemeyer1 Posts: 298 Member
    Options
    I want to join! My name is Emma
    I will swim my 4X100 on 1:25 this afternoon.
  • FitMama2013
    Options
    stelid - we all have to start somewhere, and now you know where your starting point is. In a few weeks/months you'll look back and see how much you've improved!! Great job getting back in the water and I'm glad you're happy you did it.

Emma - welcome!! good luck this afternoon - I'm doing my 4 X 100s tomorrow morning so I'll let y'all know how it goes!
  • stelid
    Options
    Does anyone have any favorite sets that they would like to share? I have always loved transitional I.M.s. I usually do 8X75 yards Transitional I.M.s (when you do 1st 75 = 25 fly, 25 back, 25 breast
    2nd 75 = 25 free, 25 fly, 25 back
    3rd 75 = 25 breast, 25 free, 25 fly
    4th 75 = 25 back, 25 breast, 25 free
    Repeat pattern alternating fly, back, breast, free, fly, back, breast, free)

I would like to know if anyone else has any favorite sets to break up any set routine I might get.
  • TroyBa
    Options
    emswanson - I'm heading up to Seattle for the Emerald City Open Water Swim event on Saturday the 20th and I'm entered in the 1 mile class. It's my first open water event this year so we'll see how it goes. I've been swimming in 80+ degree pool water and the race site is around 70...burr.
  • mdagenb
    mdagenb Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    I'd like to join! I used to swim/play water polo in high school, and now that 6 years have gone by boy am I out of shape! I swim here and there but not like i used to and i would love to get back into it. We used to swim 10 100's on the 1:30....no way i can do that now!! I've been working my way into jogging, but id like to mix up my workouts and do a little bit of both!
  • jenrod1118
    jenrod1118 Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    I've just started swimming and will try my best to keep up with you guys each week.
  • DelightfullyWifed
    Options
    i did my 4x100s free yesterday. I did them on 1:30 and held 1:16s on all 4. Talk about being out of breath at the end. I also use to be a 200 butterflier so I did 8x25s butterfly swim on 30 afterwards. How in the world did I use to do that straight through?! My heart was beating out of my chest when I was through with all of that.

All in all I did a 2100 yesterday in 40 minutes. I was proud of myself! :)