Advice For New Runners

Options
Recently started jogging. And like everything else new that I do, I do research up the wahzoo. I was reading articles on Runner's World and thought to myself: I wonder what the folks on MFP would have to say on this same subject? And here we are now.

So, if you could choose one to five things that you would tell to a newbie, what would it / they be?

Replies

• phatphd
    phatphd Posts: 45
    Options
    1) Stretch.
    2) Get fitted for running shoes that work with/for your particular gait.
    3) Stay hydrated.
    4) Moisture-wicking socks really DO prevent blisters.
    5) Breathe. Breathing and posture can really make the difference between an awesome running experience and a horrible one.
  • spammyanna
    spammyanna Posts: 871 Member
    Options
    Bump! I just started running too! And so far I can't get enough. Would love to hear some tips as well.
  • mikeyken
    mikeyken Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    I would like to know too. Just started C25K program last weekend. Seems like a good way to start running.
  • Time2Thrive
    Time2Thrive Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    First thing I would suggest is checking out http://www.goodformrunning.com/ to make sure you are running in proper form. Also if there is a local running store near you they are a great resource for everything running. Good luck with your new endeavor.
  • Elzecat
    Elzecat Posts: 2,916 Member
    Options
    1. start slow and easy
    2. stretch after you run
    3. practice controlling your breathing
    4. find a running group or buddy
    5. have FUN! :)
  • PatientBear
    Options
    1) Stretch.
    3) Stay hydrated.
    5) Breathe. Breathing and posture can really make the difference between an awesome running experience and a horrible one.

Great advice. Especially #2. VERY important!!!!

Also, intervals build speed AND endurance.
  • fromaquasar
    fromaquasar Posts: 811 Member
    Options
    1) Get good shoes
    2) Set yourself goals to work for - like entering a race
    3) Find some good music or something that pushes you through the tough times
    4) Stretch Stretch Stretch
    5) Remember the hardest part is getting out the door. If you can do that you can do anything :)
  • joehempel
    joehempel Posts: 1,761 Member
    Options
    I HATE runners world.

Only really because of the forums though. If you don't do it "their" way you are doing it wrong and are stupid.

I just run...I started running when I was at 220lb, I'm still running now 3 months later and running 7.5-8 miles at a time (I can do more, but I'm pacing myself for a 1/2 marathon in October).

Listen to your body, and do what feels right to you.
  • summertime_girl
    summertime_girl Posts: 3,945 Member
    Options
    POSTURE! Avoid the pain, and learn to run properly. Don't go for the most cushiony looking shoes, get the ones with the least cushion, and run the way nature intended. Your knees, back, and hips will thank you.
  • mssugarca
    Options

I have a really hard time breathing properlly I really have to concentrate on breathing through my nose and out my mouth. Also I find that I hunch over when I am tired...how do you stop this?
  • aippolito1
    aippolito1 Posts: 4,894 Member
    Options
    - Stretch at least your calves before if you're running outside to minimize shin splints. Stretch afterwards and ice if you get shin splints.
    - DEFINITELY water. At least 8 oz. before you go out, and constantly throughout or as much as you can handle, and pleeeeenty afterwards.
    - GOOD shoes.
    - Rest. Don't run everyday. Allow your body to rest at least a day. It'll give you better runs until your body is strong enough to run everyday, and your body will thank you for treating it right.
    - Just enjoy! Try to let your mind wander while you run. Listen to music if that helps you "un-concentrate" or just think about something that you'll get carried away in, whether it's a crush, the next day's activities, FOOD, general life, your to-do list, your goal body, whatever.
  • melizerd
    melizerd Posts: 870 Member
    Options
    1. get fitted for good shoes
    2. Start slow (I used C25K)
    3. Don't worry how far or fast other people are going
    4. Do what works for you (I wear super cheap socks and haven't ever had a blister, I hate socks LOL)

Also I couldn't run when I first started here. Until I'd lost some of the weight my knees just couldn't handle it, so if you find out that it doesn't work for you now revisit it in a few months or X amount of pounds etc.

You do NOT have to run to lose weight or be in shape, do it only because you want to and you enjoy doing it.
  • miovlb6
    miovlb6 Posts: 339 Member
    Options
    Check out this thread from a few weeks back. She had some great advice/info:
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/295466-advice-for-new-runners
  • maryd523
    maryd523 Posts: 661 Member
    Options
    Don't worry about stretching, it's not necessary, as more and more research is confirming.

Time your breathing to your strides. It really, really helps.

Listen to fast, energetic, good songs. I use Pandora and love it.

Wear a visor so you don't have to put sunscreen on your face (it'll drip down in your eyes as you sweat)

Don't wear cotton shorts! They rub and then they hurt!
  • u2fergus
    u2fergus Posts: 422 Member
    Options
    bump
  • maryd523
    maryd523 Posts: 661 Member
    Options

I have a really hard time breathing properlly I really have to concentrate on breathing through my nose and out my mouth. Also I find that I hunch over when I am tired...how do you stop this?

Who told you to breath in through your nose?? That is crazy! Just open your mouth, you need too much air for those tiny nose-holes.
  • krsaxton
    krsaxton Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    bump
  • bauerluv3
    Options
    I get bored after a while when I go running so I download audio books or music on my ipod. When I start feeling the bordem and urge to give up, i just put in the ear buds and I can get almost double the time I would have given up at and feel much better about my work out
  • run_momma_run
    Options
    1) Stretch.
    3) Stay hydrated.

1) SHOES!! You need to be fitted for the right type of shoe. This will be a large initial expense, but totally worth it.

2) Breathe. I'm going to put that HERE as #2, because if your breathing gets out of control, it's hard to recover and it really does make for a horrible experience.

3) Go Slow. You should figure out where you are at (i.e. Can you run 1 minute? 2? 5? A full mile?) Once you know where you're starting from physically, then you should increase your distance slowly, and if you're looking to get faster, that is also something that you build up on slowly. Too much of either speed or distance spells i-n-j-u-r-y.

4) Music. I love to run with my iPod. I like to find songs that match my pace so that my feet strike the ground on the beat of the song. Makes the run so much more enjoyable!!

5) Stretch. I agree that this is important. But I am going to put that HERE as #5, because I do all my stretching AFTER a run. Stretching before running is just like stretching a rubber band after it's been in the freezer. Not good.
  • mrphil86
    mrphil86 Posts: 2,382 Member
    Options
    Don't worry about stretching, it's not necessary, as more and more research is confirming.

Can you show me this research? I have never heard this in my life.

I can't run without stretching, can't think of many of my peers who can either.

To the OP, check out my blog if you want. :)