Advice For New Runners

Options

Replies

• lmaharj
    lmaharj Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    5) Breathe. Breathing and posture can really make the difference between an awesome running experience and a horrible one.

I have a really hard time breathing properlly I really have to concentrate on breathing through my nose and out my mouth. Also I find that I hunch over when I am tired...how do you stop this?

Who told you to breath in through your nose?? That is crazy! Just open your mouth, you need too much air for those tiny nose-holes.

Actually breathing in through the nose and out through the mouth is best, because then you take longer deeper breathes and not short shallow ones.

To stop the hunch when I'm tired I THINK about my posture and focus on keeping it correct. I run a mental check list from my head to my feet to decide if I really need to walk or not.
    (and I'm a nursing student)

I disagree. It's like sucking through a straw. How can you get a good deep breath fast enough that way? I think timing your breathing to your strides helps much more.

If you're having a hard time breathing in through your nose, you're pushing yourself WAY too hard. You need to cut back on your speed a little.
  • maryd523
    maryd523 Posts: 661 Member
    Options
    Don't worry about stretching, it's not necessary, as more and more research is confirming.

Can you show me this research? I have never heard this in my life.

I can't run without stretching, can't think of many of my peers who can either.

To the OP, check out my blog if you want. :)

Here's some research even though I wasn't the one that posted the stretching comment...you can also see this info in Jeff Galloway's books.
    http://www.nytimes.com/2008/11/02/sports/playmagazine/112pewarm.html

Well even he still says you should stretch but dynamic stretches. I can agree with this though.

No stretching just sounds like a bad idea.

I understand. It's hard to readjust our thinking after we've been so conditioned to stretch and everyone everywhere does it. But do some research and see what you find on your own. I've ran and exercised for years and never really stretched (except in group settings) and I've never been injured. I never found stretching to help me in any way other than the mental. "I stretched! I'm ready to go!"

P.S. Dynamic stretching is totally different than static stretching, which is what we are talking about. Dynamic stretching = good. Static stretching = pointless.
  • maryd523
    Options
    Another thing I've noticed lately is runners whose arms are hanging low and their hands are flopping down. Not only does it look silly, but you don't get as good of a workout as when you keep your arms bent at a 90 degree angle and pumping. Try to pump them straight, not sideways across your chest.

Also, keep your back pretty straight.

If you are running very long distances it is important to try and release tension from all areas of your body, this is why it can be good to run with your arms low and relaxed rather than tense and pumping all the time

Ok, that makes sense. I still like to use my arms to work them a little bit and burn calories. I'm not in it to run super long distances, and I don't think the original poster is either, since he's just starting out.
  • lmaharj
    Options
    Another thing I've noticed lately is runners whose arms are hanging low and their hands are flopping down. Not only does it look silly, but you don't get as good of a workout as when you keep your arms bent at a 90 degree angle and pumping. Try to pump them straight, not sideways across your chest.

If you are running very long distances it is important to try and release tension from all areas of your body, this is why it can be good to run with your arms low and relaxed rather than tense and pumping all the time

Ok, that makes sense. I still like to use my arms to work them a little bit and burn calories. I'm not in it to run super long distances, and I don't think the original poster is either, since he's just starting out.

You actually don't burn much more calories.. Maybe 10-12 more during you're whole workout; and think of the energy you're using to get that. Instead you can put that into your speed and probably get even more out of the workout in general.
  • mrphil86
    mrphil86 Posts: 2,382 Member
    Options
    Well I don't want to blow this up anymore but those articles basically said nothing. One was two doctors who have no real presence in the sports world. The others basically said the results are inconclusive.
  • maryd523
    Options
    5) Breathe. Breathing and posture can really make the difference between an awesome running experience and a horrible one.

I have a really hard time breathing properlly I really have to concentrate on breathing through my nose and out my mouth. Also I find that I hunch over when I am tired...how do you stop this?

Who told you to breath in through your nose?? That is crazy! Just open your mouth, you need too much air for those tiny nose-holes.

Actually breathing in through the nose and out through the mouth is best, because then you take longer deeper breathes and not short shallow ones.

To stop the hunch when I'm tired I THINK about my posture and focus on keeping it correct. I run a mental check list from my head to my feet to decide if I really need to walk or not.
    (and I'm a nursing student)

I disagree. It's like sucking through a straw. How can you get a good deep breath fast enough that way? I think timing your breathing to your strides helps much more.

If you're having a hard time breathing in through your nose, you're pushing yourself WAY too hard. You need to cut back on your speed a little.

Well, I've ran since high school cross country, and I run several times a week. I have a HRM and am constantly checking my heart rate. I am right in my zone. I just think telling people some rule that makes it harder to breath isn't going to help them.
  • maryd523
    Options
    Well I don't want to blow this up anymore but those articles basically said nothing. One was two doctors who have no real presence in the sports world. The others basically said the results are inconclusive.

Ok, stick with what you want to believe.

Does Stretching Prevent Injuries?
    Everyone knows that flexibility is good for runners, right? Too bad medical research doesn't agree.
    By Amby Burfoot
    From the August 2004 issue of Runner's World

These days, as the running population keeps booming, the question of stretching's value is more important than ever. No wonder a recent report from the Centers for Disease Control received so much attention. It, too, cast doubt on the effectiveness of stretching, concluding, "There is not sufficient evidence to endorse or discontinue routine prerun or postrun stretching to prevent injury among competitive or recreational athletes."

I always thought the folks at the CDC worked around the clock on SARS, HIV, and the biohazards of sci-fi movies. These people have time for sore Achilles tendons?

Stephen Thacker, M.D., the study's head author, assures me he has spent many years in public health surveillance, epidemiology, and infectious diseases. But, he says, obesity is costing the United States more than $100 billion a year, and the CDC believes that more exercise could reduce this healthcare burden.
    "We want to promote physical activity," says Dr. Thacker, "but we have to look at all the things that either encourage or discourage exercise, such as the amount of time it takes to exercise, and the injuries you can get. We look for the science before we make any recommendations."

For Dr. Thacker's paper "The Impact of Stretching on Sports Injury Risk: A Systematic Review of the Literature," he and his colleagues pored over nearly 100 other published medical studies on the subject. Their key conclusions: stretching does increase flexibility; the highest-quality studies indicate that this increased flexibility doesn't prevent injuries; few athletes need extreme flexibility to perform their best (perhaps just gymnasts and figure skaters); and more injuries would be prevented by better warmups, by strength training, and by balance exercises, than by stretching.

Ian Shrier, M.D., a past president of the Canadian Society of Sports Medicine, has been drilling into the stretching literature since the early 1990s. In a 1999 paper titled "Stretching Before Exercise Does Not Reduce the Risk of Local Muscle Injury," Dr. Shrier lists five reasons why stretching shouldn't be expected to work. Among them: stretching won't change eccentric muscle activity (when a muscle simultaneously contracts and lengthens, as in downhill running), which is believed to cause most injuries; stretching can produce damage at the skeletal level; and stretching appears to mask muscle pain, which could cause the exerciser to ignore this key pre-injury signal. He concludes: "The basic science and clinical evidence today suggests that stretching before exercise is more likely to cause injury than to prevent it."

This is certain to come as a shock to many runners. In a recent Runner's World Online Poll, 89 percent of respondents said they try to make stretching "a regular part" of their program. Stretching has worked for them, so why should they stop? "I was sidelined with an IT band injury, but my PT taught me some new stretches," one runner wrote. "Since then, I have not had any problems." Many others stretch simply because it feels good.

It's easy to understand why flexibility has fans. I want to be flexible--not rigid--in my life, especially in my thinking. Likewise, we all know that tall buildings and long bridges are built to be flexible. Their flexibility enhances their strength in the face of hurricanes and earthquakes. No doubt: Flexibility is good.

Until you consider runners' relationship with "motion," which is another word for flexibility. Runners try to avoid too much motion. We wear orthotics to prevent overpronation. We wear knee straps to prevent too much lateral movement. We do crunches to build a rock-hard midsection. Flexibility sounds like a great idea, but has definite drawbacks for runners.

The best research on stretching and injury prevention has been done with military recruits. Military training has much in common with exercise, and the Army has a huge interest in keeping injuries to a minimum. In one study, titled "Physical Training and Exercise-Related Injuries," a U.S. Army research team found that trainees with the highest and lowest flexibility had the highest injury rates. They were, respectively, 2.2- and 2.5-times more likely to incur an injury than trainees with average flexibility. Apparently, when it comes to flexibility and injuries, don't try to be all that you can be. Settle for average.

Surprisingly, the best-known stretching-for-runners team in the United States, the father-son duo of Jim and Phil Wharton, agree with the medical research conclusions. "We don't even use the word 'stretching' anymore," the Whartons say. "It conjures up an image of static stretching--of holding still for too long, like the tension created by a tug of war. That can actually weaken the muscle-tendon connection."

The Whartons promote AI ("active, isolated") flexibility exercises. These exercises move the muscle and joint gently and progressively to the point of slight tension, then immediately release the tension, and then repeat 10 times. There's no static-stretching hold for 10 to 30 seconds. "This promotes healthy blood circulation and lubrication to the joint," say the Whartons, whose fans include Deena Kastor, Alan Webb, and Khalid Khannouchi.

Since older runners would seem to have much to gain from stretching, I call Ed Whitlock, who last fall became the first 70+ runner to go sub-3:00 in the marathon. But Whitlock is afraid of setting a bad example. You see, he doesn't stretch. "I get the greatest return on my time by piling on miles," he says. "I don't want to dump on stretching. We all need to find our own way. But you can do too much and get injured."

The CDC's Dr. Thacker agrees. "If the time you spend stretching," he says, "causes you to lose time from something else--more running, strength training, or stability exercises--then you might be better off spending the time on that something else."

Or take the middle road: stretch in the evening while you're watching TV. I like the Wharton approach, where you keep moving through your stretches--into them and out of them. That seems like a natural way to make you feel better. And it won't cut into your training time.
  • mrphil86
    Options

You actually don't burn much more calories.. Maybe 10-12 more during you're whole workout; and think of the energy you're using to get that. Instead you can put that into your speed and probably get even more out of the workout in general.

Exactly and it also makes it more for your mind to think about it. One of the biggest keys to running is a clear mental state. If I sitting there worrying about my posture, breathing, pacing, ect... I'd be only to run like 5 miles and feel like i'm dying. If I let my body take over, and just me it will, I can run forever it feels like.
  • Montco_cancel
    Montco_cancel Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    1. Get good shoes. It DOES make a difference.
    2. Start off slow. If you go out too far too fast you will injure yourself and find yourself on the couch instead of outside running.
    3. Stay hydrated.
    4. Sign up for a race. It can be great motivation and give you something to train for.
    5. Check out Hal Higdon or Jeff Galloway training programs.
  • maryd523
    Options

Exactly and it also makes it more for your mind to think about it. One of the biggest keys to running is a clear mental state. If I sitting there worrying about my posture, breathing, pacing, ect... I'd be only to run like 5 miles and feel like i'm dying. If I let my body take over, and just me it will, I can run forever it feels like.

Ok, I concede to your judgement that arms aren't necessary. I don't have to think about it anymore, so it's not a problem for me. I'll never give that advice again. Sorry!
  • lmaharj
    Options
    Well, I've ran since high school cross country, and I run several times a week. I have a HRM and am constantly checking my heart rate. I am right in my zone. I just think telling people some rule that makes it harder to breath isn't going to help them.

Really? That surprises me based on the information you're giving out in this forum.

It sounds like you don't have a strong diaphragm. I'm guessing you breath with your chest?
  • mrphil86
    Options

Ok, stick with what you want to believe.

Trust me I will. I believe my experience with sports, track, other activities,and sports doctors. It's worked for countless amounts of people, but hey, we all could be crazy.
  • NFUGITT
    NFUGITT Posts: 3
    Options
    Great question and I love reading all the answers. I want to start running too but I always give up quick because I do the run (for a short period) then walk, run, walk. How long does the average person have to do this to build the stamina to run for a period of time. I have great stamina on the eliptical or in a spin class but the running turns me into a wuss. I would love input:) Thanks Nita
  • maryd523
    Options

Really? That surprises me based on the information you're giving out in this forum.

It sounds like you don't have a strong diaphragm. I'm guessing you breath with your chest?

What? You are basing this on what? Because I dare to challenge the idea that stretching is not necessary (backed up by research) or that I passed on information about arm-pumping that I myself read? I already said I don't hold to that, it's just information I came across in my research and made sense to me. I'm not married to it.

You are trying to degrade me in order to make my arguements seem stupid. Thanks a lot. Why would I have a weak diaphragm? Maybe I just have a small nose?
  • lmaharj
    Options

I couldn't agree more. I think the first time I stopped thinking about things was when I ran double my distance without even thinking about it.
  • MarshallLuke
    MarshallLuke Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    Alright, everyone is basically telling you the same thing and you have probably gotten the point that you need good shoes, water and a good stretch. So here are five things that are important to me if you don't count those...

1) Music - I hate hearing myself breathe in and out. Besides, music will help you keep a pace or even make you go faster than you thought would.

2) Get outside - Seriously. The gym is nice and all, but nothing beats an outdoor run. If you don't feel comfortable running around crowds (heaven knows I didn't when I started) you can also trail run. It will kick your butt harder than a treadmill.

3) Know thyself - If your body says "WALK!" then walk. Unless you are being chased by a big, scary guy wielding a knife, it won't hurt you to admit you need to walk. In fact, it might save your knees. There are times when I have overestimated my ability or underestimated the terrain and will walk for up to a minute.

4) Have a goal - Sure, the C25K is good goal, but once you have reached that, a 5K doesn't seem like much. Continue to have something to strive for and you will always have something to push yourself farther than.

5) Know the difference between a "reason" and an "excuse" - I once had someone tell me they couldn't run because their legs and lungs were sore when they ran. I call BS on that. Your legs are supposed to be sore! It is called "running", not "funning". (As for the lungs, this person was a smoker, so that didn't help). Most of the time, if you can't go the distance it is because you told yourself you can't and you believe it. Sometimes your body is truly telling you "Ow, I am in serious pain, so stop!" It is up to you to figure out which one is happening and, if it is just an excuse and not a reason, to motivate yourself to run to that next tree (if outside) or to the next even/odd number (if on a treadmill). If you push yourself that little extra, you will be able to push yourself a little more next time and more after that. And, soon enough, the excuses that you once tried to sabotage yourself will sound childish and stupid.

Good luck out there. And don't forget the shoes thing. That is the most important.
  • mrphil86
    Options
    I'm gonna quote my own blog about breathing,

" When I see people running I see a decent amount breath like oxygen is about to go away. When someone tells you to relax, you don't take short quick breaths. No, you take long breaths and the same is for running. Longer breaths mean you are getting your body more oxygen. Usually a good indicator that you are not getting enough oxygen is that your legs are starting to burn."

I've heard of people breathing in through the nose and out through the mouth. And it's a great way to start out because it teaches you to suck in the air slowly then breathe out quickly. But once you start getting into running more, it's a terrible way to run.
  • lmaharj
    Options

What? You are basing this on what? Because I dare to challenge the idea that stretching is not necessary (backed up by research) or that I passed on information about arm-pumping that I myself read? I already said I don't hold to that, it's just information I came across in my research and made sense to me. I'm not married to it.

You are trying to degrade me in order to make my arguements seem stupid. Thanks a lot. Why would I have a weak diaphragm? Maybe I just have a small nose?

Calm down killer. I use to have that same problem in high school when I did cross country. My doctor told me to start breathing with my diaphragm. It's not degrading. It helped me so I passed it along.
  • maryd523
    Options
    I'm gonna quote my own blog about breathing,

" When I see people running I see a decent amount breath like oxygen is about to go away. When someone tells you to relax, you don't take short quick breaths. No, you take long breaths and the same is for running. Longer breaths mean you are getting your body more oxygen. Usually a good indicator that you are not getting enough oxygen is that your legs are starting to burn."

I've heard of people breathing in through the nose and out through the mouth. And it's a great way to start out because it teaches you to suck in the air slowly then breathe out quickly. But once you start getting into running more, it's a terrible way to run.

Thank you!
  • maryd523
    Options

Calm down killer. I use to have that same problem in high school when I did cross country. My doctor told me to start breathing with my diaphragm. It's not degrading. It helped me so I passed it along.

Maybe we are miscommunicating. I don't have a problem breathing while I'm running. I breath in and out deeply and comfortably, matching my breathing to my strides without even thinking about it (high school cross country coach taught me that years ago). I just don't think breathing through my nose is necessary at all.