is it ok to fatten up people you don't like?

Options
Well I'm not really trying to fatten up anyone and it's not that I don't like my co-workers.
However I try to be very professional even in a field that doesn't really require it. I'll have the opportunity to buy a small chunk of the company in the near future. My co-workers sense I want to 'get to the top' and are not very nice to me sometimes.
I try to not fight fire with fire and I'm nice to them in return. I want them to be more open minded about the many changes I suggest so I buy them donuts, chocolate, ice cream and even lunch some times, but I have stopped living like that since a few months ago.

Can I continue to provide all sort of unhealthy stuff to make them happy even tho' I know I won't even eat any of it?
I don't want to be mean but I kinda feel vindicated for giving them food that I know will keep them overweight.
Don't know what to do.

Replies

• wickedcricket
    wickedcricket Posts: 1,246 Member
    Options
    why not be the bigger person & provide healthy snacks? Sinking to someone else's level is never an option for me - I try always to take the high road. I answer to a higher power (and karma is a real b itch)
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    no one makes them eat it. plus if u dont like them , make them fat!!
  • AlyRoseNYC
    AlyRoseNYC Posts: 1,075 Member
    Options
    If they like eating donuts and other crap, then there is nothing wrong with you buying it for them.
  • BerkleyJL
    Options
    If they enjoy the food you provide, then feel free to provide it. It's their choice to eat that way or not.
    If they also stop eating that way, then you'll have to provide more healthy snacks.
  • rodneyderrick
    rodneyderrick Posts: 483 Member
    Options
    Not on my health care system.
  • ChristinaMarie85
    ChristinaMarie85 Posts: 142 Member
    Options

LOL :laugh:
  • TMcBooty
    TMcBooty Posts: 780 Member
    Options
    it's their choice what they eat..
  • TMcBooty
    TMcBooty Posts: 780 Member
    Options

right on (:
  • strawberryshortbread
    Options
    That's a tough one....

You may be buying them but your not making them eat them are you?? They make their own choices....

But ...ask yourself ...why are you buying them these nice things.....? it doesn't sound like they deserve them if they are mean to you. They are probably just jealous of what you are wanting to achieve which is why they appear *****y. I certainly wouldn't buy anybody something delicious in return for their bad manners....but maybe your just a nice guy :)
  • meemo88
    meemo88 Posts: 436 Member
    Options
    ok brownie or fruit salad? BROWNIE :D
  • meemo88
    meemo88 Posts: 436 Member
    Options
    no matter how thin i get ........im still the fat kid on the inside lmao
  • BunnyGoat
    BunnyGoat Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    It's no secret that donuts and icecream make us fat. Unless they've asked you to stop, I don't see how you're doing anything wrong. Besides, wouldn't it just hurt their feelings if you suddenly switched them to carrot sticks? Trying to lose weight is hard and sometimes it makes us cranky. If you get a small joy out of knowing you're not eating the slop you feed them, Good For You.
  • slim_photographer
    slim_photographer Posts: 310 Member
    Options
    Ha ha just to be super clear, I really appreciate my co-workers I just don't get why they are mean to me for trying to be the best worker I can be. I don't dislike them, Ok. I just don't see them eating broccoli and celery with fat free dressing neither.
  • otr12
    otr12 Posts: 632 Member
    Options
    People always have their choices. They choose to eat donuts or they don't. You aren't doing anything bad to them.

But if they're like most people they're thinking "Cool, donuts!", not "This guy sure is cool for bringing us donuts". If you do it enough and then stop they may start thinking "That *kitten* didn't bring us our donuts today".
  • fit4mom
    fit4mom Posts: 1,352 Member
    Options
    1 Corinthians 13:4–8a
    (New International Version)
    Love is patient, love is kind. It does not envy, it does not boast, it is not proud. It is not rude, it is not self-seeking, it is not easily angered, it keeps no record of wrongs. Love does not delight in evil but rejoices with the truth. It always protects, always trusts, always hopes, always perseveres. Love never fails. (NIV)
  • Septembergirl23
    Septembergirl23 Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    I am in somewhat of the same boat. It is my company's money I spend for the treats whereas it sounds like you use your own money. I tried buying healthy treats and was told making them healthy negated the fact they are a "treat". Doughnuts and cookies it is then! I just don't eat them.
  • christyckr
    christyckr Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I know where you are coming from and how people respond to the threat that you may eventually be above them or even be their boss. But it should not matter to you how they treat you do your job and kill em with you achievments. I used to take to heart what people would say about me but I realized that they were jealous of the success I had and nothing would change that. As far as bringing in the unhealthy foods I have to say I would opt for a healthier alternative or refrain all together add up what you spend in a month on a box of donuts or two and a couple lunches, etc. And when you see the total think about what you could of gotten for yourself or someone that cares about you instead. Plus if it is laying around it is just another temptation for the people winning the weight loss battle to fight :flowerforyou:
  • Grimmerick
    Grimmerick Posts: 3,342 Member
    Options
    the reason they may not like you could be that you are making them look bad, If you really are a hard worker and want to succeed in comparison it makes them look unmotivated and lazy and some people are content with that. They may not like you messing with their game plan haha.
  • whitelaurel
    whitelaurel Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    Honestly I don't think that's the biggest issue -- The biggest issue should be that you feel you have to buy these people's loyalty! They should like you for who you are.

As far as the issue at hand is concerned, you can buy them gifts of whatever you feel like. Whether it's donuts or carrot sticks, it is a gift. And honestly, unless you work in an environment where healthy eating and weight loss is a staple, people might get the wrong idea if you just start bringing in a lot of health food. I think people jump to the "S/he's calling me fat!" conclusion WAY faster than they jump to the "S/he's fattening me up!" conclusion, for whatever reason. If you're worried, bring a little bit of both. Either way, you are not fattening anybody up.

It is your choice to make an offering, and an offering can be anything. You do not attribute bad feelings to cookies and cake, do you? And you're giving them as a peace offering, not with vicious intentions, right? You just choose to avoid them for your own health. :) You can let others choose for themselves whether to accept or not for their own health. Your intentions are pure.
  • chellaJKR
    chellaJKR Posts: 146
    Options
    I wouldn't spend my money on jealous meanies.