Does it matter what your calories are made up of?

Options
Hi everyone :smile:

First of all, I apologise if this topic has already been covered somewhere on the board (I'm fairly new around here)

I'm just wondering whether you think it really matters what sorts of food you eat in a day, as long as you stick to your calorie limit?
Don't get me wrong, I always try to include some fruit & veg, and I have a fairly sensible breakfast (cereal or toast ) but I do like to include crisps every day (lower fat varieties) and I also like to have something sweet! :tongue: (other than fruit!!) Plus I probably eat a bit more processed food than I should (partly because it tends to be easier & quicker for calorie-counting!!).

But in your honest opinions, do you think people lose weight quicker if they eat more healthily, and cut out the less nutritious stuff completely? I have only joined the forum quite recently, although I've dieted on & off for years. I'm sure when I was younger, I could get away with eating snacks & convenience foods & still lose weight, but age is no longer on my side!

Also - what about drinking water? I know most diets strongly encourage this, but I'm never quite sure what the scientific reason is? (I mean, I know it's good for you, but how exactly does it help you lose weight?).

Any thoughts/advice/ideas welcome! :happy:

Replies

• Calif_Girl67
    Calif_Girl67 Posts: 526 Member
    Options
    Hi there and Welcome to MFP!!

I am no expert at all lol and I have trouble with losing weight myself... I do think eating healthier without processed
    and/or junk food does make a difference. I have a sweet tooth and don't deprive myself of anything, I just eat it in moderation or buy low cal. As for processed food, it makes a huge difference at least from what I can tell. This is were I have issues because of the sodium, no matter what I do, I can't get my sodium low and I eat some processed foods. I am learning to look at
    several choices before settling on 1 to see which has the lowest sodium etc. I would rather it have more calories and less
    sodium.

As for water, I have probs drinking a ton of water but do manage to get at least 6-8 glass on most days. I no longer
    drink soda unless its an occasional Diet Dr Pepper or Diet Cherry 7-Up. But drinking all the water flushes your body
    of toxins and sodium to help you to lose weight, if you don't drink enough water then your body retains water and we need to
    flush it out.

But to answer your question- Yes it does help to eat healthy and drink plenty of water and get plenty of exercise in order to lose
    weight. I have been stuck at the same weight loss since June 25th and can't seem to get it started again. No matter how frustrated I get, I keep on going. Good luck
  • TriedEverything
    TriedEverything Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    Thanks Tizzz, I appreciate you sharing your thoughts on this :smile:

What you are saying about the water makes sense. Your intake of 6 to 8 glasses a day sounds fine - I would have thought that was round about the recommended amount. I don't drink nearly enough plain water - I have a bit of a "pepsi max habit" going on, and even though it has virtually no calories, I would obviously be better off with good old water :laugh: I just need to get into the way of drinking it - I tend to forget, if you know what I mean!

I should probably think more about my sodium intake too. I must admit, the only things I usually look for on food labels are calories & fat.

I'm sorry to hear that your weight loss seems to have slowed down (or stopped!) at the moment - hopefully it will get going again soon. It's so frustrating when that happens - you need to see results to stay motivated!

Anyway, it was nice to hear from you, thanks again :flowerforyou:
  • 4theking
    4theking Posts: 1,196 Member
    Options
    In terms of weightloss, it doens't matter where your calories come from as long as you are getting the proper ratios of proteins/carbs/fats. A lot of people will tell you it matters but I am proof it doesn't.
  • Rae6503
    Rae6503 Posts: 6,294 Member
    Options
    Eating healthy makes it easier to come under your calories. You should also make sure you are getting enough protein and fat. I also try to eat a lot of fiber for uh, other reasons. But besides that, I don't think it matters much. I don't eat "clean". I don't pay attention to salt, sugar, high fructose corn syrup, saturated fat, cholesterol (which I've read aren't bad) etc...
  • Calif_Girl67
    Options
    In terms of weightloss, it doens't matter where your calories come from as long as you are getting the proper ratios of proteins/carbs/fats. A lot of people will tell you it matters but I am proof it doesn't.

So exactly what amount of Protein/ Carbs/ Fat is needed for Weight loss? I have never been able to figure that out. Everyone i talk to says that Sodium is a huge factor as well as what we are eating, Most people say to eat "Clean" which I have a hard time with that.
    So even if we don't eat "Clean" you are saying that no matter were our calories come from we can still lose weight as long as we are getting enough Protein/Carb/Fat ??
  • Rae6503
    Rae6503 Posts: 6,294 Member
    Options

So exactly what amount of Protein/ Carbs/ Fat is needed for Weight loss? I have never been able to figure that out. Everyone i talk to says that Sodium is a huge factor as well as what we are eating, Most people say to eat "Clean" which I have a hard time with that.
    So even if we don't eat "Clean" you are saying that no matter were our calories come from we can still lose weight as long as we are getting enough Protein/Carb/Fat ??

I have my ratios set to 30% protein, 40% carbs, 30% fat. But I just use this as kind of a base.

I've read that you need about 1gram of protein per lean body weight (I've just guessed mine), so as long as I'm above the 130g I'm satisfied. The range for fat is much bigger and I really have no issues getting the minimum (I think it's like 57g for me).
  • 4theking
    Options

Sodium has nothing to do with weight loss.

I don't eat clean in the slightest. There is no difference in Clean vs unclean in terms of how they affect the fat burning hormones. I have read a study that backs this up. There is no magic ratio of the macro nutrients. Some people do better with lower carbs, some with lower fats. A good place to start is 35%protein 35%carbs 30%fat.
  • Calif_Girl67
    Options
    I don't eat clean in the slightest. There is no difference in Clean vs unclean in terms of how they affect the fat burning hormones. I have read a study that backs this up. There is no magic ratio of the macro nutrients. Some people do better with lower carbs, some with lower fats. A good place to start is 35%protein 35%carbs 30%fat.

Wow...I learn something new everyday from somebody on this site, I try my best to eat as healthy as I can and always being told the sodium makes a difference as well as what you eat etc etc. Its amazing at what we learn, I have been stuck at the same weight since June 25th and can't seem to get the scale moving again and its so frustrating, I also like my Bluebelle Ice Cream and only eat it once in a great while now, but junk food and soda i rarely eat/drink now. So would you have any suggestions as to how I can get the scale moving again??

Thanks for the Insite!!
  • 4theking
    Options

Wow...I learn something new everyday from somebody on this site, I try my best to eat as healthy as I can and always being told the sodium makes a difference as well as what you eat etc etc. Its amazing at what we learn, I have been stuck at the same weight since June 25th and can't seem to get the scale moving again and its so frustrating, I also like my Bluebelle Ice Cream and only eat it once in a great while now, but junk food and soda i rarely eat/drink now. So would you have any suggestions as to how I can get the scale moving again??

Thanks for the Insite!!

Your welcome. Send me a message with how much you are eating now and what your BMR is and I will try and help.
  • techymum
    techymum Posts: 168
    Options
    http://www.theglobeandmail.com/life/health/new-health/health-nutrition/leslie-beck/trying-to-cut-calories-up-the-protein-first/article2131515/

Here is an interesting article today about women, proteins, and weight loss.

While I am certainly no expert, and I respect 4theking as he has obviously been doing things right, I am trying to change and treat my body more like a fine machine. If you put crappy gas in your car, you get crappy gas mileage. Good food to me, equals feeling good and health.

Comparing myself now to last spring, I can attest to the fact that I feel 100% better. And have had life throw some real crazy things at me and I just keep on ticking!

Good luck :-)
  • fionarama
    fionarama Posts: 788 Member
    Options
    I believe it makes a huge difference, exp if you are trying to build muscle as well as lose fat. The main thing is that if you eat clean you get to eat LOADS even if your calorie intake is quite small, but if you eat junk you have to eat really small amounts to meet hte calorie goal.
  • debswebby
    debswebby Posts: 326
    Options
    I always thought that it didn't matter how you used your calories as long as you stick to the limit. However, after being stuck on a plateau for over a year, my doctor suggested I cut out my 1 packet of crisps a day and occasional 4 squares of chocolate. I scoffed at her suggestions - bloody docs don't have a clue - but I did try it. In 3 weeks I lost 6lbs and lost 6cms off my hips and waist.
    xx
  • eviltwinkie
    Options
    It does and it doesn't. Calories in/out are pretty basic, if you're keeping to your goals, that's great. Snackies (aka, chips and some chocolate, excluding the healthy snacks) in moderation is also a good thing, if that's what you desire. Some folks get religious about the 'OMG never eat that kind of thing', but you have to find a new pattern to your lifestyle that you can maintain.

Just don't let the processed foods / junk snackies take over. I've had to seriously work at that myself, as I'm a convenience gal when it comes to eating...

I lost about 100 lbs on WW counting points, and controlled junk snackies like pop chips and dove chocolate was a daily thing. Then the weight loss kinda... stopped.

I've had to give up most packaged snacks as a regular thing to help lower carbs. Which for me, has helped me to slowly start losing weight again. Didn't seem to make a difference early on in my weight loss, but it does now. For me, too many carbs = stalled weight loss (intaking the same calories.) So junk snackies on a daily basis have been dumped, because they're always empty carbs.

Erm, so I guess the point is, moderation is the key. If it works for you, great, but don't hinge your life on 'em. They might not work in your routine later on.

Note: I'm still pretty much a couch tater, so I'm not concerned with tweaking diet for performance. Mostly concerned with building maintainable habits for me.
  • brittanyjeanxo
    brittanyjeanxo Posts: 1,831 Member
    Options
    I suppose in one way it doesn't and in one way it does. I personally eat a lot of the same things I used to, but instead of paying attention to only the calories, I try to make sure I stay under my sugar and sodium limits, and get enough protein, etc. So I suppose for me, as long as I'm getting a proper nutritional balance, it doesn't matter where the calories are coming from. A lot of people, for instance, get low fat, low sugar or whatever peanut butter because they think it's unhealthy. I eat the regular stuff in moderation, because it gives me plenty of good fats, and I don't eat enough to put me over my sugar :)
  • Maggie_Pie1
    Maggie_Pie1 Posts: 322 Member
    Options
    For water - not only does it flush out toxins, and by drinking enough of it, it keeps you from retaining extra water, but water is also a necessary ingredient in all of the processes that go on in your body (digestion, converting food into energy, converting fat into energy, building muscle, etc). So, if you don't drink enough of it, your body can't efficiently perform those processes and it will slow down your metabolism in the end.
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options
    You get water from just about everything you eat, the sudden emphasis on drinking "extra" water on top of everything else you eat and drink is honestly misguided. Everything you drink is mostly water, and most things you eat have a good amount of water, so the key is being properly hydrated. Overhydration is just as bad as dehydration. Also, sodium only matters if you have high blood pressure, otherwise it doesn't effect weight, other than possible water retention, but as long as you are properly hydrated, that's also not a problem.

As for the OP, it really doesn't matter. Find the proper ratios of carbs, fats, and proteins that work for you, and then design a menu for yourself based on that. The actual foods don't make a difference, as long as you are hitting the proper ratios, nutrition, and calories. I eat a mix of healthier and non healthier foods, and I lose consistently, averaging about 10 pounds a month.
  • Calif_Girl67
    Options
    You get water from just about everything you eat, the sudden emphasis on drinking "extra" water on top of everything else you eat and drink is honestly misguided. Everything you drink is mostly water, and most things you eat have a good amount of water, so the key is being properly hydrated. Overhydration is just as bad as dehydration. Also, sodium only matters if you have high blood pressure, otherwise it doesn't effect weight, other than possible water retention, but as long as you are properly hydrated, that's also not a problem.

As for the OP, it really doesn't matter. Find the proper ratios of carbs, fats, and proteins that work for you, and then design a menu for yourself based on that. The actual foods don't make a difference, as long as you are hitting the proper ratios, nutrition, and calories. I eat a mix of healthier and non healthier foods, and I lose consistently, averaging about 10 pounds a month.

Wow, and i can't even get my scale moving since June 25th, I wish I was losing 10 pounds a month. Good for you!!
  • rocketpants
    rocketpants Posts: 419 Member
    Options
    Short answer is yes it does matter, all calories are not equal. You should spend some time reading and learning about nutrition, stick to books by doctors, and read multiple opinions. For example there are some significant differences of opinion on carbs in the medical community.

I think the bottom line is the MOST important thing is to get the calories correct. make the those changes sustainable (ie you are willing to eat that way for the rest of your life) Then make small adjustments to get your nutrition in line.
  • rocketpants
    rocketpants Posts: 419 Member
    Options

You are correct that overhydration is as bad as dehydration. However, multiple studies indicate that 75% of Americans are chronically dehydrated. So It think focusing on getting and staying hydrated is a valid concern.
  • Lleldiranne
    Lleldiranne Posts: 5,516 Member
    Options
    As far as basic weight loss, not directly. Law of thermo-dynamics: calories in vs calories out.

However, in the bigger picture, it makes a TON of difference. For example, I can have a GIANT salad for the same amount of calories as 9 corn chips (crisps). This doesn't count the dressing, just the veggies (and I pile on a lot of veggies), but think of how much more full the salad will make you. Crisps will leave you mostly empty. This is just one example ... there are lots of other substitutes.
    Also, the nutritional value of foods does make a difference. As you cut calories, you naturally cut back on the vitamins and minerals you were getting before. So, in order for your body to get all the nutrients it needs, you want to make sure your calories count. In my opinion, if you aren't getting the nutrients you need, you're more prone to cravings and hunger, even if you've filled your caloric needs.

Now, I'm not saying never indulge in your crisps. In all honestly, I probably have one little indulgence most days. But also make sure that you are planning your day out well enough that you will get all the nutrients you need. Before you indulge, ask yourself if this is really where you want to spend those calories, or if there is a better substitute. Often people who want crisps actually want the satisfying crunch more than anything, and you can get that from carrots, celery, or cauliflower. If you're hungering for sweets, consider if fruit will satisfy that instead. But when you decide that you really do want the indulgence, go ahead. Measure out a small amount - look at the serving size and don't go over that - put the rest of the bag away before you start eating, and then eat slowly, savoring every bit. That way you feel like you're really indulging without going overboard.
    As you get more into the habit of eating healthy foods and exercising, you may find yourself wanting the nutritiously empty foods less and less. That's a good thing, too :wink: